Anderson v. Mullin Recruiting by End of May
« on: May 25, 2019, 09:14:46 PM »
By today’s date in year he was hired, Mullin and staff had commits from:

Durand Johnson
Ron Mvouica
Darien Williams
Yankuba Sima
Malik Ellison

They would later get Mussini, Lovett, and Yakwe.

Thus far Anderson has commits from:

Johnathan Mitchell
Damien Sears

He is also looking at a grad transfer that played 16 mpg at UNC Greensboro and a Umass decommit.

goredmen

Re: Anderson v. Mullin Recruiting by End of May
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:25:23 PM »
By today’s date in year he was hired, Mullin and staff had commits from:

Durand Johnson
Ron Mvouica
Darien Williams
Yankuba Sima
Malik Ellison

They would later get Mussini, Lovett, and Yakwe.

Thus far Anderson has commits from:

Johnathan Mitchell
Damien Sears

He is also looking at a grad transfer that played 16 mpg at UNC Greensboro and a Umass decommit.

What's your point?

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »
Mullin had a 3 week headstart based on hire dates.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:42:45 PM by RedStormNC »

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 09:43:57 PM »
What's your point?

I’m just comparing the classes by the end of May. I made no argument either way. Why so defensive?

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 09:45:30 PM »
Mullin had a 3 week headstart based on hire dates.

True. All but of the guys I listed for Mullin were committed by 5/1 though. Don’t ask me which one because I just did a quick google search.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 10:07:18 PM »
This is also the best roster MA has inherited. I think it was more important he get the majority of the current roster to stay. Also keep an eye out for some current Razorbacks to enter the transfer portal. I'm not certain how many or who would follow him all the way to NYC....

goredmen

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 10:57:53 PM »
I’m just comparing the classes by the end of May. I made no argument either way. Why so defensive?

You're comparing apples to razor blades here

Rodman

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 12:05:31 AM »
The cupboard was empty when Chris got here.  He needed bodies.  CMA is returning a nice core.  So what's your point?

Poison

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 12:22:23 AM »
The cupboard was empty when Chris got here.  He needed bodies.  CMA is returning a nice core.  So what's your point?

This is something that many fans believe but I don’t think it’s fair.

The cupboard wasn’t empty when Mullin started here. His arrival made it that way. Once Mullin had a chance to talk with Brandon Sampson, Chris Obekpa and Rysheed Jordan, whatever was said resulted in them not coming or staying here.

I don’t blame Mullin for not being able to keep these kids, but this is where the excuses began, and look where that got us. CMA, by retaining talented players has found a work around for the problem.

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 08:05:27 AM »
This is one of those baseless arguments like the one where some posters said Mullin's record improved every year at SJU.

Well if it didn't improve every year after his 8 win inaugural campaign then he would've been considered an epic failure. Context is a beautiful thing.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 09:32:13 AM »

The cupboard wasn’t empty when Mullin started here. His arrival made it that way. Once Mullin had a chance to talk with Brandon Sampson, Chris Obekpa and Rysheed Jordan, whatever was said resulted in them not coming or staying here.

I don’t blame Mullin for not being able to keep these kids, but this is where the excuses began, and look where that got us. CMA, by retaining talented players has found a work around for the problem.
Exactly. That abomination of a season never had to happen. Mullin should have kept his big mouth shut and stayed home.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »

Your timeline is off. Sampson decommitted between Lavin getting fired and Mullin getting hired. Mullin visited Sampson in Louisiana and about a week after he committed and signed with LSU.

Jordan wouldn’t have been eligible to play. The only argument to be made is about obekpa, and he was coming off NCAA tourney suspension.

The cupboard may not have been empty but what was in there was dusty and broken.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
You're comparing apples to razor blades here

Comparing two first year coach’s recruiting hauls on the same date, in the same conference, at the same school is apples to razor blades? Obviously every circumstance is not identical or there would be no need for a comparison because it would be exactly the same.

I haven’t formed an opinion on this matter yet. I like both of the guys. Anderson has landed as 7-9 rostation guys, but I also have serious doubts he can land top 75 players and highly ranked transfers here.

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
Comparing two first year coach’s recruiting hauls on the same date, in the same conference, at the same school is apples to razor blades?

Yes, these two situations are not even close to each other.

Is Anderson's first year record here in relation to Mullin's 8-24 season going to be apples to apples? After all, it's two first year coaches at the same school in the same conference, so it must be a fair comparison.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »

Our fans always have to take a stance on one extreme or another.

I think this is pretty simple:  it’s not fair to say that Lavin left the cupboard bare because he had Rysheed Jordan and Chris Obekpa who were top 30 and top 75, respectively, as well as top 50 Bradon Sampson and Samir Doughty (who played almost 30 mpg for a team that made the title game) committed as well as the Barnes kid. He also had the Della Rosa brothers and was involved with other recruits like Lovett and Mussini.

It’s also not fair to attribute those players to Mullin because the Della Rosa v. Obekpa fight happened as soon as Mullin took the job (the lack of supervision from switching staffs causes events like this) and no new coach would know how to handle troubled players like Jordan and Obekpa as well as Lavin and his guys. Believe me, every team has a few of those types of unless you’re talking about schools like Duke that can handpick Boy Scouts.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2019, 03:30:13 PM »
Your timeline is off. Sampson decommitted between Lavin getting fired and Mullin getting hired. Mullin visited Sampson in Louisiana and about a week after he committed and signed with LSU.

Jordan wouldn’t have been eligible to play. The only argument to be made is about obekpa, and he was coming off NCAA tourney suspension.

The cupboard may not have been empty but what was in there was dusty and broken.

IDK at what specific point Jordan passed the point of no return. Considering his actions, I don't think it would have mattered one bit who coached him.

But Mullin could have convinced Sampson and Obekpa to stay.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »
Jordan had stopped going to class.  That has been reported many times.  He would have been academically ineligible the following year.

Sampson committed to LSU because that is where he wanted to play all along and committed to SJ only because LSU did not offer, having signed a much better kid, Blakeney.  LSU later changed their mind, offered Sampson and he was gone.

wpc77

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
Good God guys.  Chris didn't get those guys because he stopped cutting checks to them. Iron Mike won't be cutting checks either.  But he's an above average coach unlike Chris, so there's hope
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 05:34:33 PM by wpc77 »

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
Lavin wouldn’t have gone 1-17. Lavin wouldn’t have gone 21-50 something.

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2019, 07:07:41 PM »
Lav doesn’t get sick he would still be here.