Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings

• 174 replies
Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings
« on: June 18, 2019, 12:34:59 PM »
Interesting rank. Good player for us and if drafted will help our rep. Wish him the best but I still say he should have stayed one more year.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/nba-draft-big-board-top-100-player-rankings

Re: Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 06:31:16 PM »
Wish him the best but I still say he should have stayed one more year.
Yeah. Omar and Barkley too. Yet Howard and Powell play on. This program is snakebit.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:30:20 PM »
Yeah. Omar and Barkley too. Yet Howard and Powell play on. This program is snakebit.
What the hell are you talking about? In one post we should allow the laziest man in college basketball to coach for as long as he wants. Now we are snake bitten because things don’t go well for us.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »
This draft class stink. Good year for Shamorie to get drafted and has better stock at this age than as a senior. Right decision every time. Powell and Howard likely go undrafted regardless.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »
What the hell are you talking about? In one post we should allow the laziest man in college basketball to coach for as long as he wants. Now we are snake bitten because things don’t go well for us.

Your lack of respect and reverence for the very face of the program and our all-time franchise of all franchise players is astounding.  However, I don't blame you in particular.  You're just a byproduct representation of an overall diminishing level of class and dignity in society at large.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 10:51:48 PM »
Powell stayed because Kevin Willard made some deal with the devil a few years ago when he was about to get canned or relegated to coaching in the Patriot league (which he almost did voluntarily, anyway).   Somehow also involved trouble in Adidas-gate when the universe knows that Tiny and Whitehead were getting paid by an agent while at the Hall something he surely knew about, because even Steve Lavin knew to stay way from that.  I can't imagine what that tab is going to be when the devil comes calling for payment.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 12:43:51 AM »
Ponds goes undrafted. Might he return to college?

He wasn’t the same player over the last ten game or so, and clearly that hurt him.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 12:51:55 AM »
Ponds goes undrafted. Might he return to college?

He wasn’t the same player over the last ten game or so, and clearly that hurt him.
Yeah if they change the rules retroactively.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 01:17:10 AM »
Yeah if they change the rules retroactively.
The rules were changed. Those who were invited to the draft combine and then went undrafted are allowed to return to school.

Looks like Shamorie just signed with the rockets though.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 06:31:20 AM »

Powell came back because he was clearly told he would not get drafted.

Would love to get some scoop about what happened at Marquette - they had legit Top 10 team set for next year.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 08:00:53 AM »
Happy to see that Ponds signed with Rockets but speaks volumes about what people in the league thought about his game that Wright-Foreman got drafted and Ponds didn't.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
Happy to see that Ponds signed with Rockets but speaks volumes about what people in the league thought about his game that Wright-Foreman got drafted and Ponds didn't.

Lol does it really? Forman got picked in the 50s and ponds got signed by a team who didn’t have a second round pick.

FWIW I think houston would be a great fit for him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 08:20:40 AM »
I saw this coming a mile away. Mullin clearly did not have enough sway and while he may have had a decent season it was not an "I am an NBA talent" season. His height and some big NBA style games he ghosted. Team fades at end of year. He needed another season and there is a good chance with the core returning and an actually good coach that will make him work- he could have significantly improved his stock to be draft lock. I cannot fault the NBA for passing on him.

His best chance now is 2 way deal and he even hurts his Europe value as he was not even drafted. At least Dom had that leverage on Euro teams. I cannot even begin to describe Simon's foolish choice that is even worse. This team was primed to make a run and when that happens your stock rises with the national attention.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »
I saw this coming a mile away. Mullin clearly did not have enough sway and while he may have had a decent season it was not an "I am an NBA talent" season. His height and some big NBA style games he ghosted. Team fades at end of year. He needed another season and there is a good chance with the core returning and an actually good coach that will make him work- he could have significantly improved his stock to be draft lock. I cannot fault the NBA for passing on him.

His best chance now is 2 way deal and he even hurts his Europe value as he was not even drafted. At least Dom had that leverage on Euro teams. I cannot even begin to describe Simon's foolish choice that is even worse. This team was primed to make a run and when that happens your stock rises with the national attention.

In regards to Ponds, I don’t think Mullin can be blamed for this. He broke down in each of the last two seasons during BE play. Why? Conditioning? Diet? Probably it’s both. It’s surprising to me to see that any college prospect wouldn’t take conditioning and diet seriously.
I believe Ponds has the talent to overcome these issues, but he won’t last long if he doesn’t make these changes and continue to take both seriously.

Simon is in fantastic shape. He dribbles the ball up to his forehead and he shoots a jumper like a 9 year old. I hope he’s able to hang on somehow, but he’s got a lot of improving to do before the league will want him.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:28 AM »
FWIW Zach is reporting ponds has not yet signed with the rockets and is hearing from multiple teams.

I can't imagine there'd be any chance for him to return to school as he probably skipped out on all of his classes after declaring.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1141942543380299777

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 09:07:05 AM »
In regards to Ponds, I don’t think Mullin can be blamed for this. He broke down in each of the last two seasons during BE play. Why? Conditioning? Diet? Probably it’s both. It’s surprising to me to see that any college prospect wouldn’t take conditioning and diet seriously.
I believe Ponds has the talent to overcome these issues, but he won’t last long if he doesn’t make these changes and continue to take both seriously.

Simon is in fantastic shape. He dribbles the ball up to his forehead and he shoots a jumper like a 9 year old. I hope he’s able to hang on somehow, but he’s got a lot of improving to do before the league will want him.

That is a very good point, conditioning/diet would explain those fades and ghosting. You only have 2 rounds in NBA draft- have to really separate yourself and competition is steep. My point about Mullin was that he did not have enough sway to overcome Shamorie's flaws when dealing with NBA GMs etc.

Yes, Shamorie def has to get past alot. He has to do well in summer to earn that 2 way or its just going to be Europe for him and with the talent each year hard to get back into NBA if you were not exactly ideal to begin with. Simon - it really is a head scratcher, he does not have the Jakarr measurables for a flyer to be taken on him at this point. Very one dimensional with good defense.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
That is a very good point, conditioning/diet would explain those fades and ghosting. You only have 2 rounds in NBA draft- have to really separate yourself and competition is steep. My point about Mullin was that he did not have enough sway to overcome Shamorie's flaws when dealing with NBA GMs etc.

Yes, Shamorie def has to get past alot. He has to do well in summer to earn that 2 way or its just going to be Europe for him and with the talent each year hard to get back into NBA if you were not exactly ideal to begin with. Simon - it really is a head scratcher, he does not have the Jakarr measurables for a flyer to be taken on him at this point. Very one dimensional with good defense.

I don’t think there is any sway that Mullin or anyone could have had with the draft. These are business decisions. Maybe in the MLB draft it happens, but we’ve got only two rounds. Mullin, I’m sure opened doors, but Shamorie Ponds has to take it from there.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 09:24:47 AM »
I’m disappointed for Shamorie. His junior year was not what scouts wanted to see after his ridiculous soph season.

Cameron Johnson going 11th as a five-year college could serve as notice to some of these underclassmen on the cuspid being drafted who are coming off tough seasons.

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
Ponds had some great moments. He also lost plenty of games. Scouts are going to notice guys “going through the motions” as he stated multiple times.

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 10:02:46 AM »
Too bad for Ponds. Hopefully he takes this as a learning lesson and focuses even more to make a roster. He's got the talent.