Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings

• 174 replies

ras

Re: Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
Phil Greene was a good player. He improved and played hard. But, I would not pick him over other players if it was an NCAA game. I’d rather have DLo, among others.

Foad

« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2019, 06:31:34 PM »
Foady contradicts himself often. He believes that you win with older 4 year players. But he hates Phil Greene, who became a very good player for us. (Lavin guy)
But he has a soft spot for Trimble, who has little to no skills. He is a shooter who can’t shoot. But he was a mullin recruit.

Good grief Slingbade, learn to read, mm mmm. All I said about Trimble was that I agreed with good old poison that we should not celebrate his departure, mmm mmm.

The old guy should stick to calling people stupid.

I'd be delighted. You're exquisitely stupid. You're stupid emeritus.

Foad

« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2019, 06:44:25 PM »
Actually you just contradicted yourself- by saying "nice person" and categorizing that statement as a non-nice personic response you are still basing it on your subjective view of what "nice person" means. You cannot escape its nature because you have used it as a foil. You are still bound in your own understanding of the word nice person.

See I can play the philosophy/legal game too big guy .

Actually you can't. I'd call this ^^^ complete gibberish but that would be an insult to complete gibberish.

But back to basketball- you have not supported your argument on Trimble. Not a good player for us and I think the majority of people here would say the same.

I didn't make an argument about Trimble. I didn't even mention his name. All I said was that transfers are in the main detrimental to program development. You mentioned his name. You said that he was " one of the worst players I have seen suit up in a SJU uniform." Which is utter nonsense, the only explanation for which is that you haven't watched much SJ basketball or if you have you're so much a nice person that you haven't learned anything about it.  Which is weird, because basketbal isn't too terribly complicated.

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2019, 07:38:51 PM »
Arguing over 2 guys who will never play a game in the NBA. We are...

Foad

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »

« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2019, 09:41:48 PM »
I don’t know anything besides that is an insult to compare Ponds to Rysheed freaking Jordan. I’m sure there are things Ponds could have done better, but he was one of the best guards in the league for 3 years and one of the best we’ve had in any lifetime. I wanted more out of him last year too but had we recruited an able front court I think that would have happened. The kid played his tail off and came to us from NY when most highly touted city kids leave. He accomplished more in any one year than Jordan did in his career at SJU.

+1000

« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »
I assumed Greene over Ponds was a given.

Poison

« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2019, 12:30:54 AM »
If @ Syracuse was the one game you saw, you saw his best game ever.

And it’s not like he was fantastic from start to finish. He got hot at the very end.

« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2019, 02:31:05 AM »
Phil Greene over ponds is crazy talk
I like it!

Foad

« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
Here are the shooting percentages (FG / 2pt FG / 3pt FG) for two SJ players as underclassmen. One of them is better at basketball than Shamorie Ponds and the other is one of the worst players to ever wear a SJ uniform. Can you tell which is which by the numbers?

Player 1

Freshman: .35 / .39 / .26
Soph: .37 / .43 / .22

Player B

Freshman: .36 / .57 / .32
Soph: .33 / .50 / .32

If you guessed that the shooting guard who shot 45 for 188 (24%) from three as an underclassman was ice in his veins Phil Greene, aka the clutchiest player ever, and that Player B is the worst scholarship athlete in program history Bryan Trimble, you'd be correct. Thanks for playing along at home, unless you're taking a shit on the train, in which case try washing your hands for a change.

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2019, 08:37:38 AM »
Here are the shooting percentages (FG / 2pt FG / 3pt FG) for two SJ players as underclassmen. One of them is better at basketball than Shamorie Ponds and the other is one of the worst players to ever wear a SJ uniform. Can you tell which is which by the numbers?

Player 1

Player B

If you guessed that the shooting guard who shot 45 for 188 (24%) from three as an underclassman was ice in his veins Phil Greene, aka the clutchiest player ever, and that Player B is the worst scholarship athlete in program history Bryan Trimble, you'd be correct. Thanks for playing along at home, unless you're taking a shit on the train, in which case try washing your hands for a change.

Yes but did you control for game flow and et cetera?

« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2019, 09:25:11 AM »

Player 1

Player B

This is entirely pointless- the argument about Phil is he how he IMPROVED each year. He had a decent Junior year and good Senior year. Trimble had no room to grow- he was slow and a terrible prospect and as others have pointed out could not even hit his "specialty". A WASTE of a scholarship.

And thats nasty- I do not take the train. I either drive or uber around city.

« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2019, 09:31:16 AM »
Actually you can't. I'd call this ^^^ complete gibberish but that would be an insult to complete gibberish.

I didn't make an argument about Trimble. I didn't even mention his name. All I said was that transfers are in the main detrimental to program development. You mentioned his name. You said that he was " one of the worst players I have seen suit up in a SJU uniform." Which is utter nonsense, the only explanation for which is that you haven't watched much SJ basketball or if you have you're so much a nice person that you haven't learned anything about it.  Which is weird, because basketbal isn't too terribly complicated.

As for the philosophy in part 1 its very cogent, you just are too lazy to be seriously philosophical.

Name me 15 worse players that saw minutes in the last 5 seasons?

Finally, to your last point, I actually agree with you. Credit is due where credit is due. Building a program with transfers is laziness. Covers up for the failure to recruit decent HS recruits. Transfers are necessary as compliments not building blocks, although I concede Heron and LJ are the rare exceptions I am looking forward to this season.

Foad

« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
As for the philosophy in part 1 its very cogent, you just are too lazy to be seriously philosophical.

No, it's post modern kindergarten epistemology that shouldn't have been dignified with a response. I only said it was gibberish to be polite.

Name me 15 worse players that saw minutes in the last 5 seasons?

I can't figure whether you're a troll or just this clueless.

Bryan Trimble is "one of the worst players" ever at SJ.

Um, no he wasn't .

Okay smart guy, if he's not one of the worst ever to disprove my statement name 15 guys who were even worse who received significant playing time within the last five years. Otherwise what I said is true.

You really come across like a bit of a dunce, no offense.

Foad

« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2019, 10:07:22 AM »
the argument about Phil

The argument bout Phil is that if you think he was half the basketball player Shamorie Ponds was that disqualifies you from assessing the talent of any other basketball player ever.

« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
No, it's post modern kindergarten epistemology that shouldn't have been dignified with a response. I only said it was gibberish to be polite.

I can't figure whether you're a troll or just this clueless.

Bryan Trimble is "one of the worst players" ever at SJ.

Um, no he wasn't .

Okay smart guy, if he's not one of the worst ever to disprove my statement name 15 guys who were even worse who received significant playing time within the last five years. Otherwise what I said is true.

You really come across like a bit of a dunce, no offense.

No, just a mild intellectual challenge.

Yes he was- and I said minutes meaning who registered some time does not have to be alot of time. I just did not want you to cheat with naming walk-ons. Before Trimble I was convinced Ron Mvouka was the worst to be honest. Malik Stith was very bad too, but that is slightly out of my frame of reference.

I will go easier on you- name 5 players who were on scholarship that got some burn that were worse than Trimble.

Poison

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2019, 10:14:12 AM »
This is entirely pointless- the argument about Phil is he how he IMPROVED each year. He had a decent Junior year and good Senior year. Trimble had no room to grow- he was slow and a terrible prospect and as others have pointed out could not even hit his "specialty". A WASTE of a scholarship.

And thats nasty- I do not take the train. I either drive or uber around city.

Trimble hasn’t had his junior and senior seasons yet. The point is that although he has struggled for two seasons, if he’s part of a program there is the opportunity for him to improve. To assume that he can’t just because he hasn’t is to ignore history. Shittier players have become important contributors as upperclassman.

This program clearly lacked leadership and upperclassmen would have helped with that when the wheels started to come off in Mid-February.

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »
The argument bout Phil is that if you think he was half the basketball player Shamorie Ponds was that disqualifies you from assessing the talent of any other basketball player ever.

And who designated you as the one that decides assessor of talent other than yourself. Kind of self-serving don't you say? I just like putting things up for debate and challenge people to consider other perspectives, I do not pretend to be an expert.

As for Ponds, I do not dispute he was a good player and one of the better ones in the modern era but I just do not like the constant crowning of him and shock by the media he was undrafted and such as well as the build up to expect he would be. That is my whole issue. I recognize he was good, but let us not forget that there were other great players too that we often neglect since Shamorie craze took over that were good in their own right.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:21:17 AM by friendofjohnnie »

TONYD3

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »
Trimble hasn’t had his junior and senior seasons yet. The point is that although he has struggled for two seasons, if he’s part of a program there is the opportunity for him to improve. To assume that he can’t just because he hasn’t is to ignore history. Shittier players have become important contributors as upperclassman.

This program clearly lacked leadership and upperclassmen would have helped with that when the wheels started to come off in Mid-February.
What player worse then him contributed His junior and senior years?

Poison

« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »
What player worse then him contributed His junior and senior years?

Donald Emanuel