Nick Rutherford

• 120 replies
Re: Nick Rutherford
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »
I am giving Anderson a pass on recruiting at this point with little time and not much left. The important thing is he has attended some key AAU events and made some offers to some blue chips for the coming years. He has begun relationships, something Mullin never did. Furthermore, the core has returned except Shamorie and Simon who both made very poor decisions plus we have some solid transfers set to play. I am not overly concerned and still think this can be a round of 32 team if all works out.

I believe some of the low level HS guys we brought in for depth will be transferring after next season if we have some real recruits lined up to replace the core. This I fully expect.

cjfish

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »
You said it right there. "For a month". That's how long a staff gets these days apparently before you give up on their recruiting efforts.

A school that rejected by Porter freaking Moser is not gonna be in the mix for every top transfer. Thornton turned down Gonzaga for Boston College so it's not like there wasn't serious competition for him. But I guess it's obvious already that this staff can't compete so we should fire Anderson immediately and go get rejected by 6 more coaches before settling on the women's coach at NYIT. He'll get the good transfers in a week.

Moser rejected us because sju is a graveyard for coaches and he still has 20

years or so left to coach. Anderson is 60 and willing to give it a shot undoubtedly figuring he is ok if he coached for 3-5 years here

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »
I am giving Anderson a pass on recruiting at this point with little time and not much left. The important thing is he has attended some key AAU events and made some offers to some blue chips for the coming years. He has begun relationships, something Mullin never did. Furthermore, the core has returned except Shamorie and Simon who both made very poor decisions plus we have some solid transfers set to play. I am not overly concerned and still think this can be a round of 32 team if all works out.

I believe some of the low level HS guys we brought in for depth will be transferring after next season if we have some real recruits lined up to replace the core. This I fully expect.

Everything here is totally false. Just a ridiculous post.

TONYD3

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
What’s false

goredmen

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 06:07:03 PM »
I am not overly concerned and still think this can be a round of 32 team if all works out.

You should prepare yourself to be very very disappointed

TONYD3

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 06:11:27 PM »
You should prepare yourself to be very very disappointed
That’s probably true. It’s nice to finally have a coach who is trying. Fun to be hopeful again. Everything else he said is true.

goredmen

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 06:23:02 PM »
That’s probably true. It’s nice to finally have a coach who is trying. Fun to be hopeful again. Everything else he said is true.

Yeah I agree with most of it and think Anderson has a pretty decent shot to succeed here long term. But I don't think next year's team is a realistic tournament contender. Middle of the pack NIT team is the ceiling I think. Not enough legitimate scoring options behind Heron and LJ

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 06:36:36 PM »
Yeah I agree with most of it and think Anderson has a pretty decent shot to succeed here long term. But I don't think next year's team is a realistic tournament contender. \

I actually thought Mahoney after that first year might be a good coach BUT it ended up being David Cain who was the good coach.

I thought Fran was going to be the coach that brought us to the next level BUT his head got too big

I thought Jarvis was going to be THE GUY after those first couple years and actually hoped he didnt take the Wizards job BUT he stopped recruiting

I loved the Lavin hire and that first year was one of my favorites as a season ticket holder. And his recruiting was off the charts that next year BUT then he got cancer. Then he recovers and starts landing recruits again BUT then we had that disappointing 2nd to last year BUT I was hopeful BUT then the Mary problems happened and he wasn't nearly the same recruiter

I loved the Mullin hire BUT really wanted Hurley and then he started sitting on the scorers table. Second year didnt bother me. Third year sucked BUT I was thought we would kill teams this year BUT I was wrong.

I'm hopeful but no way am I making predictions this year

We've had more Butt's over the years than an anal sex video.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:40:16 PM by mjmaherjr »

goredmen

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
I actually thought Mahoney after that first year might be a good coach BUT it ended up being David Cain who was the good coach.

I thought Fran was going to be the coach that brought us to the next level BUT his head got too big

I thought Jarvis was going to be THE GUY after those first couple years and actually hoped he didnt take the Wizards job BUT he stopped recruiting

I loved the Lavin hire and that first year was one of my favorites as a season ticket holder. And his recruiting was off the charts that next year BUT then he got cancer. Then he recovers and starts landing recruits again BUT then we had that disappointing 2nd to last year BUT I was hopeful BUT then the Mary problems happened and he wasn't nearly the same recruiter

I loved the Mullin hire BUT really wanted Hurley and then he started sitting on the scorers table. Second year didnt bother me. Third year sucked BUT I was thought we would kill teams this year BUT I was wrong.

True that. All we have as SJU fans is hope. And as we all sadly know by this point, hope is just delayed disappointment

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
Yeah I agree with most of it and think Anderson has a pretty decent shot to succeed here long term. But I don't think next year's team is a realistic tournament contender. Middle of the pack NIT team is the ceiling I think. Not enough legitimate scoring options behind Heron and LJ

I think LJ and Heron could be a great tandem. Both move and finish well and LJ in particular if he looks to get others involved a little more. Heron was great with his catch and shoot and his pull up shots became pretty reliable. Was sort of like a guy that decides to swing before the pitch tho.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:33:15 PM by survivedc »

cjfish

« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »

Lavin recruited guys who didn’t qualify, jailbirds and a phony transcript guy. Snakeoil salesman

cjfish

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2019, 08:10:55 PM »

Two elite scorers is all you need. A good bunch of role players, which we have, should get the job done

TONYD3

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »

Two elite scorers is all you need. A good bunch of role players, which we have, should get the job done
Plus a coach who will establish a culture. And demand the players rebound and play defense. I predict a very good season.

cjfish

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2019, 08:40:35 PM »
Plus a coach who will establish a culture. And demand the players rebound and play defense. I predict a very good season.

Yup. He can coach

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »
I think LJ and Heron could be a great tandem. Both move and finish well and LJ in particular if he looks to get others involved a little more. Heron was great with his catch and shoot and his pull up shots became pretty reliable. Was sort of like a guy that decides to swing before the pitch tho.

Your last sentence is such an apt comparison. Like Heron a lot but his offensive game was very predictable and seemed like he was never able to adjust once he decided he was gonna try to score.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »
I'm referring to the mess that was 59-73 in 4 seasons overall and 20-52 in Big East play during that time.
Do you think that there are coaches we could have hired that would have turned the program around quicker than Mullin did considering the roster he fielded in his first season?

Does the mess you're referring to also encompass the surprising and shockingly strong bump in attendance we witnessed in Mullin's 4th season?

goredmen

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2019, 10:59:31 PM »

I think they'll be ok next season but can't see losing a player like Ponds and making a jump without replacing him with bigtime pieces. Also lost key role players in Simon and Clark. Wright is a nice addition, Williams should improve and Caraher will have a role but they don't come close to replacing those three players. Steere should help but he's not going to light the world on fire right out of the gate.

I predict Anderson will keep his streak alive and we'll finish 1 game over .500, they'll win some games that they shouldn't because of disruptive defensive games and they'll lose games they shouldn't because they can't score.

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2019, 08:33:53 AM »

Oh really?!! So I guess you are not willing to give Anderson a pass for the little time he has had- clearly you are against the consensus there. Name me all the AAU tournaments Mullin attended in his coaching years and how often he was on the road?? My guess- will not be that much. Except Shamorie, Matt built this team for good or for bad- plenty of debate there.

How many relationships with top talent did Mullin have or try to cultivate? When I last checked he had one 4 star committed out of HS other than Shamorie and Greg (who he barely played-hope Mike changes this) that would later decommit. I do not count the 4 star Matt transfers.

So you would say that Shamorie and Simon made good decisions? I think the draft last night answered that.

And yes maybe round of 32 is ambitious I will give you that- but I like to be optimistic I think Mike is a good coach and he has depth this year. I expect Heron to break out and take control.

Finally, how is it not realistic to think that if Mike gets decent commits coming in and the role players that were lower ranked, low burn and did not blow anyone away this year don't want out? This happens in many programs. The coaching staff will make it clear. Of course this changes if he strikes out, but I think a good season nabs him a couple at least. There will be change after next season.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:38:12 AM by friendofjohnnie »

Johnny23

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
Do you think that there are coaches we could have hired that would have turned the program around quicker than Mullin did considering the roster he fielded in his first season?

Does the mess you're referring to also encompass the surprising and shockingly strong bump in attendance we witnessed in Mullin's 4th season?

Most quality coaches we could've hired would have turned the program around in much quicker fashion than apathetic Chris Mullin never ended up doing.

As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. Not good for Chris. Now look at Anderson's record. Very good over a much longer period of time.

You need to deal with the fact that your man crush Mullin is gone. He did not succeed here as HC. Let it go man. You gotta stop living in the past. It's a new era in SJU hoops. Embrace it and you'll be much happier.

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »

I’m on board with calling them the best returning duo, but elite scorers seems a bit much. Shamorie, Powell, and Howard are elite scorers.

I just don’t see Heron ever being that guy on a good team. Far more likely that LJ can be that guy, but both would be better suited for 15-17 ppg with a third scorer to chip in 12-14. Hopefully that is Wright.