Starting 5

• 249 replies

Poison

Starting 5
« on: August 06, 2019, 02:08:19 PM »
What do we think the starting 5 will be? I think it’s more difficult than it usually is this year.

Here’s my guess:

Dunn
Heron
Caraher
LJ
Roberts

6th man Williams

Maybe by January it’s...

Dunn
Heron
LJ
Steere
Roberts

First two guys in are Caraher and Williams.

Re: Starting 5
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
Start of season without Steer

Rutherford
Williams
Heron
LJ
Roberts.

Big bench minutes
Wright
Dunn
Sears

Smaller roles
Caraher
McGriff
Earlington
Champaign

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:18:50 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 02:35:57 PM »
Start of season without Steer

Rutherford
Williams
Heron
LJ
Roberts.

Big bench minutes
Wright
Dunn
Sears

Smaller roles
Caraher
McGriff
Earlington
Champaign

Who knows how this will play out, but my take on Caraher is that if he can play at the level he did in D1 games, I think he’ll probably be able to do that against stronger competition after sitting out a year and working out with high major D1 players, and getting better.

It’s certainly a small sample, but his averages against high majors as a freshman are good. Not great, but good. Caraher had 19 and 7 vs Providence in his first game.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:52:30 PM by Poison »

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »
 Dunn
Heron
LJ
Sears
Steere

Sears is a lot better than people give him credit for, he was playing really well before his ACL tear and averaged a double double when he got back.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »
Wright just put his name in the transfer portal, figured it was coming since Dunn and Williams will take his minutes up, either save the scholly or can get a big now. Probably a good thing this has happened

Poison

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 04:00:27 PM »
Wright just put his name in the transfer portal, figured it was coming since Dunn and Williams will take his minutes up, either save the scholly or can get a big now. Probably a good thing this has happened

Kid sat out a year and then transferred again. Go figure.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »

Yeah, it's always good when 4-star recruits transfer, that leaves more room for 2 star transfers from Monmouth and Cleveland St. Also, having forgotten to add addition by subtraction you earn two demerits.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:02:40 PM by Foad »

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 04:10:14 PM »
I think Williams chased Wright out. I'm hoping that's the case at least. I see the lineup shaking out to:

McGriff
Williams
Heron
LJ
Steere

Rutherford, Dunn, and Sears first three off the bench to the tune of about 20 mpg each

Caraher and Roberts next with about 15 mpg

The two biggest competitions for starters will be McGriff-Rutherford and Williams-Dunn. Our season likely rests with Williams being a stud or not. 

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »
Yeah, it's always good when 4-star recruits transfer, that leaves more room for 2 star transfers from Monmouth and Cleveland St. Also, having forgotten to add addition by subtraction you earn two demerits.
I would rather have a guy averaging 15 points a game at a Place like St. Francis than have a guy averaging 3 pts in 2 years at Miss St. That’s just me. Recruiting services are so overrated it’s not funny. Plus 6’8 big man from Arkansas Gabe Osabuohein is rumored to his name in transfer portal. It was one of Anderson’s favorite players, wouldn’t surprise to see him come here, originally from Toronto. He can play.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 04:28:09 PM by BannerMountainMan »

Foad

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »
I think Williams chased Wright out.

So you think a 3 star forward chased a 4 star shooting guard out? Interesting.

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »

No loss there.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 04:42:07 PM »
I don’t know the roster very well but I even know Greg Williams is a PG/SG, I’ve watched enough basketball to know that stars does not matter 80% of the time.

Foad

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »
I would rather have a guy averaging 15 points a game at a Place like St. Francis than have a guy averaging 3 pts in 2 years at Miss St. That’s just me.

Yes that is just you Cletus, serving as you do as chief ball washer of the current coaching regime. I don't know anything about these marvelous 2-star recruits CTC has landed and maybe they're wonderful players. Or maybe they're Glen Braica's leftovers. In which case we're F'ed.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 04:57:10 PM »

Wright is listed at 6'5 190 and Williams is listed 6'3 205.  Both are listed as guards and Anderson said that he sees Williams playing both guards spots.  I think most fans would agree with that assessment.  Williams was also listed at a 4* by some recruiting sites.  I don't see much of a difference between where Willams and Wright were ranked out of high school.

I'd obviously rather keep a 4* guard than lose him--especially given the 2* players we've been getting lately. I hope that Willams (figuring in Heron and LJ) was the cause of his departure, because the alternative is the season is over before it even starts.  Williams has to be a stud or we are f*cked.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 06:01:11 PM »

IDK how much of a loss this is, but the Cleveland State/St.Francis kid put the ball in the hoop a lot more than Eli Wright did.

If Dunn gets a waiver because his coach left, and Wright gets one, too, we’ll get to see who the better player is.

Let’s see where Wright transfers to. That usually says a lot.

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 06:03:03 PM »
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »

Thanks again Coach Mullins. Transfer U!

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 06:30:56 PM »
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

For my own amusement. Please explain your self.

ras

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 07:20:15 PM »
Word is that Ely wasn’t buying into MAs system. Nevertheless a loss.

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 08:01:50 PM »
People were obviously beating down Wright's door when he couldn't hack it in the SEC anymore. His 3 pts and 13 min/game had him in really high demand mainly on the lone merit that he was a 4 star coming out of HS according to some on this board. The lunacy continues.

Did anyone actually watch this scrub play in college? Clearly not. Addition by subtraction. Now Anderson can fill the void with another big which is much more needed than whatever his name was.