Starting 5

• 249 replies

Foad

Re: Starting 5
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »

Mullin was still under contract. He wasn’t getting an extensionthis year, he had to earn it, which contributed to Matt leaving. What was the chance of him bringing this year’s team to the NCAA tournament? The writing was on the wall and when Matt left who the hell was going to recruit? He would have lost LJ and maybe Heron. He realized he was over his head and did the right thing and resigned.

So Matt left on April 1 because he knew Mullin wasn't going to get an extension on April 8th and Mullin despite knowing he was in over his head anyways asked for and was denied an extension on April 8 despite the fact that the writing was on the wall and there was no one to recruit since Matt left on April 1 and that's a good thing because it was only their loyalty to Bobby Hurley Porter Mosley coach third choice that kept Figeroa and Heron from transferring

You have a rich fantasy life, I'll give you that.

SJUFAN

« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »
So Matt left on April 1 because he knew Mullin wasn't going to get an extension on April 8th and Mullin despite knowing he was in over his head anyways asked for and was denied an extension on April 8 despite the fact that the writing was on the wall and there was no one to recruit since Matt left on April 1 and that's a good thing because it was only their loyalty to Bobby Hurley Porter Mosley coach third choice that kept Figeroa and Heron from transferring

You have a rich fantasy life, I'll give you that.

I believe you stupefied yourself. Mullin not receiving an extension, personal issues, Matt leaving for better security, Mullin not having a clue, all collimated into his decision to quit on 4/8. He wasn’t denied the extension the day he quit.

Foad

« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »
He wasn’t denied the extension the day he quit.

Obviously dummy, it was a couple of days before. I'm surprised you missed it, it was in all the papers.

"Multiple sources said new St. John's athletic director Mike Cragg declined to give Mullin a contract extension, and Mullin then went above Cragg's head to the University President, Conrado “Bobby” Gempesaw, who also was not on board with an extension. Sources said Mullin is treating it like a firing."

As for the rest of your let's charitably call it fanciful interpretation - "If Mullin wanted to coach he would be here ...  He wasn’t getting an extension .... which contributed to Matt leaving ... the writing was on the wall ... He would have lost LJ and maybe Heron ... He realized he was over his head" which leads one to wonder why if he realized he was in over his head and he was going to lose his two best players why he'd have wanted an extension in the first place but I don't expect you'll be swayed by facts and reasoning, you've never been swayed by them in the past - I'll leave you to it.

« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2019, 06:31:14 PM »

Mullin was still under contract. He wasn’t getting an extensionthis year, he had to earn it, which contributed to Matt leaving. What was the chance of him bringing this year’s team to the NCAA tournament? The writing was on the wall and when Matt left who the hell was going to recruit? He would have lost LJ and maybe Heron. He realized he was over his head and did the right thing and resigned.

Matt went to coach with one of his best friends for a nice sum of money. His wife never liked NYC to begin with and was closer to her family out there. Mullin needed an extension to secure another assistant moving forward. He was goint to get two guys. He had no plans to leave until he was not granted that by Mike Cragg.

LJ was NEVER leaving under Mullin. He would've left under Anderson if he didn't have to sit. Mutspaha was never going anywhere regardless who was coach. He's closer to home and is ready to graduate and move on with his career.

« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2019, 07:56:15 PM »
Wasn't the Gael offered the job as well?

Shouldn't his nickname really be coach 4th choice?

« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2019, 08:53:43 PM »
Wasn't the Gael offered the job as well?

Shouldn't his nickname really be coach 4th choice?
No Cluess was never offered which is why he removed himself from consideration because he got tired of being left hung out to dry as a fall back option for St. John's.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:54:06 PM by Celtics11 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2019, 11:16:34 PM »
Obviously dummy, it was a couple of days before. I'm surprised you missed it, it was in all the papers.

"Multiple sources said new St. John's athletic director Mike Cragg declined to give Mullin a contract extension, and Mullin then went above Cragg's head to the University President, Conrado “Bobby” Gempesaw, who also was not on board with an extension. Sources said Mullin is treating it like a firing."

As for the rest of your let's charitably call it fanciful interpretation - "If Mullin wanted to coach he would be here ...  He wasn’t getting an extension .... which contributed to Matt leaving ... the writing was on the wall ... He would have lost LJ and maybe Heron ... He realized he was over his head" which leads one to wonder why if he realized he was in over his head and he was going to lose his two best players why he'd have wanted an extension in the first place but I don't expect you'll be swayed by facts and reasoning, you've never been swayed by them in the past - I'll leave you to it.

Let me keep it simple for you stupid. Mullin has been seeking an extension long before he quit. Non of your quotes support your statement that it was a “couple days before”. This was going to be a show me season for Mullin. The Midget, knowing Mullin couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag, saw opportunity and wisely chose it.

Mullin, after masterfully navigating the most talented team in the BE to a 8-10 record and 7th place finish, was looking down the barrel of a gun. He knew he was losing his best player, the BE defensive player of the year, his starting center, and potentially Heron and LJ. His roster is abysmal, he has no recruits and he’s entering a “show me”
season.

Mullin, knowing he’s now over his head, saw the writing on the wall, and decided to end his coaching career on the 7th place finish high note opposed to the train wreck of a season that was about to incur. He did the University, himself, and the fans a favor and quit.

I understand it may be challenging for you to follow along since this isn’t written in crayon and absent pop-up pictures.

« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2019, 08:24:49 AM »
Simon’s dad on the record saying he would’ve probably stayed had Mullin stayed. Heron didn’t even enter the transfer portal and LJ didn’t do it till Mullin had been gone a few days. Not sure where the idea they were all gone with Mullin here comes from.

Johnny23

« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »
This Mullin back and forth is hilarious. His record and coaching speak for themselves. The problem wasn't who was staying and leaving, the problem was he couldn't coach his way out of a CYO gym. The End.

Foad

« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:58 AM »
Non of your quotes support your statement that it was a “couple days before”.

April 9: "According to Forbes’s J.P. Pelzman and others, Mullin had been seeking an extension in recent days, seeking stability after his best recruiter Matt Abdelmassih followed Fred Hoiberg to Nebraska"

https://deadspin.com/report-chris-mullin-out-at-st-johns-despite-winning-d-1833925415

As I said, it was in all the papers.

<rehash of fanboi's delusional fantasies hosed>

I understand it may be challenging for you to follow along since this isn’t written in crayon and absent pop-up pictures.

Yeah, you're an intellectual tour de force, nearly.

Marillac

« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2019, 09:02:56 AM »
This Mullin back and forth is hilarious. His record and coaching speak for themselves. The problem wasn't who was staying and leaving, the problem was he couldn't coach his way out of a CYO gym. The End.

He improved every year and made the tournament in year 4. That basically qualifies him to have a statue.

There is no way Anderson is in the tournament year 4 with the crap he recruits.

« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »
He improved every year and made the tournament in year 4. That basically qualifies him to have a statue.

Holy shit dude
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »

This needs to be pinned and remembered!

Johnny23

« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2019, 10:53:18 AM »

He improved from horrible to mediocre to a Year 4 underachieving run when every pundit had them pegged for a much better season than what he delivered. No one is calling Chris Mullin to be a HC ever again.

Your last line about Anderson is going to come back to bite you. I'll bet you he makes the tournament before Year 4. He's a proven HC.

« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »
He improved from horrible to mediocre to a Year 4 underachieving run when every pundit had them pegged for a much better season than what he delivered. No one is calling Chris Mullin to be a HC ever again.

Your last line about Anderson is going to come back to bite you. I'll bet you he makes the tournament before Year 4. He's a proven HC.
There’s a good chance Anderson makes the tourney this season, Anderson’s best teams are when he has really good guards, and he has the Best two guard combo he’s ever had, big mean have never really hurt his style, he just needs 6’7 wings that run the floor. 

Poison

« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2019, 03:09:22 PM »
There’s a good chance Anderson makes the tourney this season, Anderson’s best teams are when he has really good guards, and he has the Best two guard combo he’s ever had, big mean have never really hurt his style, he just needs 6’7 wings that run the floor. 

Who are our really good guards?

Watching Figueroa and Heron last year, I think both are small forwards.

« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2019, 03:13:13 PM »

Watching Figueroa and Heron last year, I think both are small forwards.

Agree but I think LJ has the skills and smarts to play 1-4.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »

+1000. Another year of LJF and MH is going to be a lot of fun. Unlike last year, our leadership is sound, mature and clear as day, these guys are the captains. Dunn should lead by example, he's the perfect hard nosed guard for Iron Mike.

With less than 3 weeks before classes beginning, let's hope that we have another player on the roster before Labor Day. That mystery player, coupled with improvement from Earlington, Roberts and GWill can lead to more wins than expected by most.

Anxious to see what McGriff, Champagnie, Steere/Sears and most importantly a talented coaching staff can lead to this season.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 03:54:09 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Foad

« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »

Bobby Kelly and George Garrison.

Marillac

« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »

I’d love to be spectacularly wrong. I’d happily eat that crow.