Starting 5

• 249 replies

Marillac

Re: Starting 5
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
There’s a good chance Anderson makes the tourney this season, Anderson’s best teams are when he has really good guards, and he has the Best two guard combo he’s ever had, big mean have never really hurt his style, he just needs 6’7 wings that run the floor. 

This season is actually the least of my concerns. LJ and Heron are both former top 100 recruits and legit all-conference caliber players. I think Williams and Steere are future Big East caliber starters (maybe as soon as this year) with potential for more. Roberts might get thrown into that category as well with a good start.

I like the addition of McGriff, Dunn, and Sears as fill-in players but Anderson needs to land top 75 talent and he hasn’t even approached that territory yet. We were recruiting against some horrible teams to land the guys we did. That is my sustainable long term regardless of how well they “fit the system.”

I like the way Anderson finishes off a roster. It shows he is a coach with decades of experience who has learned some tough lessons that our last two coaches didn’t. The lack of front-end talent is what I think will cost him his job.

SJUFAN

« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2019, 05:01:37 PM »
I like the addition of McGriff, Dunn, and Sears as fill-in players but Anderson needs to land top 75 talent and he hasn’t even approached that territory yet. We were recruiting against some horrible teams to land the guys we did. That is my sustainable long term regardless of how well they “fit the system”

Would you approve of the level of players they are targeting for the 2020 class? Now coach needs to close.

Foad

« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2019, 05:04:18 PM »
This needs to be pinned and remembered!

Next time you're shitting on the train write it in in the stall in permanent marker just below "For a good time call Tony"

TONYD3

« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »
Would you approve of the level of players they are targeting for the 2020 class? Now coach needs to close.
Coach A didn’t come here to lose. Neither did his assistants. This is a ridiculous discussion.
Everything he has done so far has been positive. When the new big east started we bullied other teams. The new teams especially hated playing us. Can’t wait to see 40 minutes of hell.

TONYD3

« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
Next time you're shitting on the train write it in in the stall in permanent marker just below "For a good time call Tony"

Told you change was coming. For someone so smart how could you not see it coming?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 05:17:54 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2019, 06:12:50 PM »
Coach A didn’t come here to lose. Neither did his assistants. This is a ridiculous discussion.
Everything he has done so far has been positive. When the new big east started we bullied other teams. The new teams especially hated playing us. Can’t wait to see 40 minutes of hell.

What exactly has he done besides bring in the worst ranked recruiting class in SJU history? Atleast let him coach a game before you wait for him in the locker room on your knees.

« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2019, 06:19:03 PM »

Posh is a good player. Like his game. Curbelo and Diarra won't be coming. Aside from Alexander they don't seem to be leading for any prime HS guys at this point. Need frontcourt guys. 

« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »
What exactly has he done besides bring in the worst ranked recruiting class in SJU history? Atleast let him coach a game before you wait for him in the locker room on your knees.
You’ve had one time in the last 20 years where you’ve made it past the first round, I would step off your high horse buddy. You haven’t seen coaching in a while, it’s made y’all turn into little haters because y’all haven’t been relevant in so long..drink some koolaid, it certainly won’t kill you.

ras

« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:47 PM »
I don’t think we are going to be that good this year. Overall talent not that good and 2 players don’t make a team. That said ,I will judge MAs recruiting after the 2020 class. We also have some good JUCOs on the radar. I feel MA is a good coach and believe year 4 he will surpass Mullins achievement.We will see how it plays out.

« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2019, 11:54:35 PM »
You’ve had one time in the last 20 years where you’ve made it past the first round, I would step off your high horse buddy. You haven’t seen coaching in a while, it’s made y’all turn into little haters because y’all haven’t been relevant in so long..drink some koolaid, it certainly won’t kill you.

it isn't hate. it is FACT that this is the worst ranked recruiting class in our programs history. Obviously, you're only here because you have some strange obsession with Mike Anderson. Plenty of people are skeptical about this hire but I doubt anyone is rooting against him. We also don't need you acting like he is John Wooden every time you post.

SJUFAN

« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2019, 01:47:32 AM »
it isn't hate. it is FACT that this is the worst ranked recruiting class in our programs history. Obviously, you're only here because you have some strange obsession with Mike Anderson. Plenty of people are skeptical about this hire but I doubt anyone is rooting against him. We also don't need you acting like he is John Wooden every time you post.

People keep pointing to this class being ranked low. Who gives a shit about rankings if we win? He’s a proven winner, let’s watch him work.

« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2019, 02:28:57 AM »
to a Year 4 underachieving run 
For the umpteenth time. An Ncaa tournament bid is not an "underachieving run" here at St. John's.  Just look up the results for this franchise this millennium. It's on the internet. You saying it over and over again won't make it true.

Poison

« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »
For the guys that followed Mike Anderson at Arkansas, who do you think he’ll start on opening day?

What’s his thought process for picking his starters?

Poison

« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2019, 08:37:55 AM »

And to your point, I think it will be interesting to see if the worst ranked class in history plays like it, too.

What if they don’t?

« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2019, 10:00:57 AM »
This Mullin back and forth is hilarious. His record and coaching speak for themselves. The problem wasn't who was staying and leaving, the problem was he couldn't coach his way out of a CYO gym. The End.

He should never have been hired to begin with. What should have happened- Lav given 3 more seasons or if you wanted to make the move Mark Jackson should have been the hire or an accomplished college coach with NBA connects or even Patrick Ewing. Mullin should not have even been on the list unless you wanted him as a team advisor etc. The only thing we got out of the Mullin years were more alumni money/sellouts into the school. Maybe it was just a business decision, not a basketball one. That is the only reason I can think of.

« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »

Maybe stats/star wise "worst ranked" but as I have said on countless occasions on this board, he is given a pass for this season recruiting. He had little to no time, had to put together a staff  and did have some solid players coming back (a credit to Mullin or Matt). Less pressure.

If you want to evaluate recruiting prowess, lets see a full year and full cycle of work put in with the results he gets. His grade for recruiting now is TBD.

TONYD3

« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
He is establishing culture, hard work, and discipline. He the HEAD coach is in charge. He not only runs practice he has been in the State of NY working. Can’t run workouts from Arkansas or California.
He is running his system. A system that he learned as I believe as a player, then as an assistant, and then as a successful coach.
These low level recruits are being brought in to play roles in his system. He is also working hard to bring in higher level recruits in later years.
His top assistant knows the system. Another assistant coaches big men and is from NYC. Another assistant had a great JUCO record and is supposed to be a great recruiter. These guys compliment each other. But again Mike Anderson is the head coach, not a 23 year old kid.
If I see Coach Anderson I won’t fall on my knees but I am very excited to meet him.
I expect this years teams to be tough. Because his teams are tough. I watched Arkansas play a bunch of times last year. Our new soft big east won’t like playing against us. I think LJ and especially Herron have great seasons. I think Williams becomes a starter and does well.
No excuses. No passes. I think we have better win loss record then last year. If not it will be close but it will feel better. No more going through the motions.
If you are skeptical of this coach and weren’t under mullin you are either a liar or a complete fool. Earlington, Dixion, Roberts, and Caraher were not big east level recruits. Those guys were not brought into play any roles. Mullin established no system and players had no roles. Earlington the 3 star defensive end may look like a beast but came in thinking he was a gunner.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:16:49 AM by TONYD3 »

Johnny23

« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »
He should never have been hired to begin with. What should have happened- Lav given 3 more seasons or if you wanted to make the move Mark Jackson should have been the hire or an accomplished college coach with NBA connects or even Patrick Ewing. Mullin should not have even been on the list unless you wanted him as a team advisor etc. The only thing we got out of the Mullin years were more alumni money/sellouts into the school. Maybe it was just a business decision, not a basketball one. That is the only reason I can think of.

Sounds logical. If nothing else his name pumped more money into the program and got the team more visibility nationally. Knowing the clown brigade running the school the business angle sounds like that's what the hire was mostly about.

« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2019, 02:15:58 AM »
He is establishing culture, hard work, and discipline. He the HEAD coach is in charge. He not only runs practice he has been in the State of NY working. Can’t run workouts from Arkansas or California.
He is running his system. A system that he learned as I believe as a player, then as an assistant, and then as a successful coach.
These low level recruits are being brought in to play roles in his system. He is also working hard to bring in higher level recruits in later years.
His top assistant knows the system. Another assistant coaches big men and is from NYC. Another assistant had a great JUCO record and is supposed to be a great recruiter. These guys compliment each other. But again Mike Anderson is the head coach, not a 23 year old kid.
If I see Coach Anderson I won’t fall on my knees but I am very excited to meet him.
I expect this years teams to be tough. Because his teams are tough. I watched Arkansas play a bunch of times last year. Our new soft big east won’t like playing against us. I think LJ and especially Herron have great seasons. I think Williams becomes a starter and does well.
No excuses. No passes. I think we have better win loss record then last year. If not it will be close but it will feel better. No more going through the motions.
If you are skeptical of this coach and weren’t under mullin you are either a liar or a complete fool. Earlington, Dixion, Roberts, and Caraher were not big east level recruits. Those guys were not brought into play any roles. Mullin established no system and players had no roles. Earlington the 3 star defensive end may look like a beast but came in thinking he was a gunner.
You are delirious. How do you know so much about his culture and system in August when you've never even met him let alone sitting in on meetings and practices?

TONYD3

« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
Carmine- he has years of experience. He is a professional coach. His teams always win. Do you think that is just luck? Or unlike your hero he just fell into great circumstances.
His top assistant wants to be a head coach. You think he is coming to NYC to work half assed and not win games?

I personally like the hire, because I like the style of play. But plenty of coaches could and would succeed here. Cluess would have been fine. Porter moser wasn’t my choice and I know little about the guy but he is a real coach and he would have done a professional job.

All your boy had to do to avoid completely embarrassing himself (Like he did) was hire a real bench coach and a big man coach. Mitch and St. Jean shouldn’t have been options. Slice Was an empty suit. If he wasn’t recruiting, why was he here? He certainly can’t coach. He could have kept everything else the same and his record would have been much better if he just surrounded himself with competent coaches.