Is early season lack of attendance concerning?

• 140 replies

goredmen

Re: Is early season lack of attendance concerning?
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2019, 06:32:02 PM »
You’re not all there are you? The tone of Tony D and other posters in this thread is total condescension to Tulsa based largely on conference. You can’t then point to them playing big time programs like Cincy, Wichita State, Memphis, and even Houston as a negative. They’ve finished 12-6 or better in conference four times in the last five years. They’ve only finished lower than .500 in conference play once since 2006 and that was an 8-10 record. They are as good or better than us in almost every objective measurement over the last 30 years.

Kenpom has program success rankings for every program starting with the 1997 season. SJU is 75th and Tulsa is 86th. So they are pretty similar. To say they are as good or better in almost every objective measurement is more nonsense from the guy who thinks everybody else talks in extremes too much.

Also, they didn't make the tournament in seasons in which they went 14-4 and 12-6 in the AAC so being condescending towards their conference has some merit.

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »
Enough w/ the tulsa talk.  Coach mike is in nyc getting us big wins in madison square garden. 

Tulsa is a basketball wasteland.  There is nothing to worry about.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2019, 07:10:52 PM »
Hopefully today’s win will build momentum that is actually sustain for not just one season but for multiple seasons. There are a lot of great story lines that can make some great New York Stories.

-This coach and this team have chips on their shoulders and their looking to prove people wrong.

-The Knicks (as usual) are terrible, and this is a great opportunity for SJU to bring some great magic to the Garden, especially during January and February.

-This is a working class, blue collar team. Most of the Big East Teams maybe better than SJU,  but can they out grind this team. If SJU can make a team grind, this will always have a chance.

I’m not saying this team has any shot of making the tournament, but a few upsets, making the NIT, and even winning a game can payoff in the long run.

The potential for this team to be endearing to a City starving for good basketball is palatable. Hopefully SJU does this finally does something g different and capitalize on the opportunity.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2019, 07:13:47 PM »
Kenpom has program success rankings for every program starting with the 1997 season. SJU is 75th and Tulsa is 86th. So they are pretty similar. To say they are as good or better in almost every objective measurement is more nonsense from the guy who thinks everybody else talks in extremes too much.

Also, they didn't make the tournament in seasons in which they went 14-4 and 12-6 in the AAC so being condescending towards their conference has some merit.

(1) Do your understand what the word almost means? It’s a concession that there are some facts that run contrary not a challenge to find exceptions.

(2) KenPom is a joke and he even writes that ranking programs is not easy. 15% of his score is based on what the conference and not the program did. The amount each item is weighted is completely subjective.

(3) Starting in 1997 is arbitrary and that leaves out four straight NCAA appearances (three with wins) two of which were Sweet 16s for Tulsa. St. John’s had four losing seasons those same four years immediately before the 1997 season. Obviously Tulsa would have flip flopped with us if the time frame was expanded. Even you would have to concede that.

(4) This argument is over whether or not St. John’s is head and shoulders above Tulsa as a program. It clearly isn’t over the last 30 years. I’m fine with someone saying we are better, but to condescend to to them is the same type of delusion that forces our fans to demand a new coach every four years.

We became a different program when Louie retired.

goredmen

« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2019, 07:13:55 PM »
Hopefully today’s win will build momentum that is actually sustain for not just one season but for multiple seasons. There are a lot of great story lines that can make some great New York Stories.

-This coach and this team have chips on their shoulders and their looking to prove people wrong.

-The Knicks (as usual) are terrible, and this is a great opportunity for SJU to bring some great magic to the Garden, especially during January and February.

-This is a working class, blue collar team. Most of the Big East Teams maybe better than SJU,  but can they out grind this team. If SJU can make a team grind, this will always have a chance.

I’m not saying this team has any shot of making the tournament, but a few upsets, making the NIT, and even winning a game can payoff in the long run.

The potential for this team to be endearing to a City starving for good basketball is palatable. Hopefully SJU does this finally does something g different and capitalize on the opportunity.

I agree with most of this but this city isn't going to rally around an NIT team in February and March.

goredmen

« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2019, 07:15:23 PM »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2019, 07:46:16 PM »
I agree with most of this but this city isn't going to rally around an NIT team in February and March.

Let me rephrase, a bubble team that misses the tournament and ends up making the NIT. The buzz of fighting for a bid would be exciting.
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2019, 08:19:29 PM »
(1) Do your understand what the word almost means? It’s a concession that there are some facts that run contrary not a challenge to find exceptions.

(2) KenPom is a joke and he even writes that ranking programs is not easy. 15% of his score is based on what the conference and not the program did. The amount each item is weighted is completely subjective.

(3) Starting in 1997 is arbitrary and that leaves out four straight NCAA appearances (three with wins) two of which were Sweet 16s for Tulsa. St. John’s had four losing seasons those same four years immediately before the 1997 season. Obviously Tulsa would have flip flopped with us if the time frame was expanded. Even you would have to concede that.

(4) This argument is over whether or not St. John’s is head and shoulders above Tulsa as a program. It clearly isn’t over the last 30 years. I’m fine with someone saying we are better, but to condescend to to them is the same type of delusion that forces our fans to demand a new coach every four years.

We became a different program when Louie retired.

Not letting it quit. Awesome!

« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2019, 09:29:36 PM »
Tulsa lost to arkansas state today.  Hahahaha.

No need to worry about coach mike comitting career suicide by leaving sju for that sh!thole.

Rodman

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2019, 12:10:39 AM »
The condescension on here is unbelievable.  My apologies to our friends from Arkansas.

Marillac

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2019, 12:32:41 AM »
Ok boomer

Nice try, but I was born in the 80s.

Marillac

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2019, 12:34:00 AM »
Let me rephrase, a bubble team that misses the tournament and ends up making the NIT. The buzz of fighting for a bid would be exciting.

That’s not going to happen and our fans wouldn’t get behind that kind of product.

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2019, 12:47:57 AM »
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:49:38 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

Marillac

« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2019, 12:52:21 AM »
Tulsa has a coach that just signed an extension...

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-haith-gets-extension-but-faces-big-challenge-at-tulsa/article_4188f6e2-cfa7-5a22-98ef-1d8de4d14560.html

And who has been doing well. The rumor is obviously false—who the hell would Anderson tell that hypothetical to anyway? Can you imagine him telling some random fan “If Haith leaves next year I’m going to take his place” months into this job?!

The debate is over where we stand in the college basketball world. This isn’t a good job.

« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2019, 12:56:10 AM »
And who has been doing well. The rumor is obviously false—who the hell would Anderson tell that hypothetical to anyway? Can you imagine him telling some random fan “If Haith leaves next year I’m going to take his place” months into this job?!

The debate is over where we stand in the college basketball world. This isn’t a good job.

Yes I was tuned into the process this spring.

« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »
We just came away from the worst 4 years in school history 

cjfish

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2019, 10:44:13 AM »

The Roberts years were worse on paper but I would have to agree because Mullin brought lofty expectations.

QuanMan

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »
Saturday's crowd was encouraging, we gained some steam in awareness. 
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »
The Roberts years were worse on paper but I would have to agree because Mullin brought lofty expectations.

Mullin was better than Norm Roberts. Come on people. We’re better than this. Neither were the answer, but Mullin gave us moments.

Norm took everything from the program. When it needed him to rebuild it, he made it worse. He stood in the way of his own team’s success by burying Hardy and Brownlee on the bench.

TONYD3

« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2019, 12:27:25 PM »
Mullin was better than Norm Roberts. Come on people. We’re better than this. Neither were the answer, but Mullin gave us moments.

Norm took everything from the program. When it needed him to rebuild it, he made it worse. He stood in the way of his own team’s success by burying Hardy and Brownlee on the bench.
I don’t hate norm. He tried and failed. He shouldn’t have been here 5 years. But at least he tried.