Game #15: @Xavier 1/5 430P FOX

• 161 replies

QuanMan

Game #15: @Xavier 1/5 430P FOX
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:00:22 AM »
Xavier's coming off a hard fought loss @Nova. Their roster is tough, older and physical. Upper classmen Gooden, Scruggs, Jones and Marshall (who killed us last year in Cincy) are all threats in their own respective ways. They have two new bigs, Jason Carter (Ohio transfer) and Zach Freemantle (3star from Jersey) who give them very good depth.

Cintas is a tough environment, they pack 10K strong on a nightly basis. Without a doubt need MH back for this matchup, falling 0-2 @GTown next week would be daunting.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 10:00:51 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

Re: Game #15: @Xavier 1/5 430P FOX
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 10:40:51 AM »
This might be the best front court in the conference it will tell us where we stand. Hopefully the bash brothers are ready to crack skulls.

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:46:41 AM »
Tyrique Jones is in his 10th season with the squad. He has perpetually owned us forever. Have to crash the glass hard and hope that Marshall isn't on fire. Gooden and Scruggs have been hot and cold throughout their careers. Let's just hope we catch them during a freeze.

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 11:27:28 AM »
Think we'll be about 8 point dogs in this one.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 01:35:04 PM »
Xavier has won 9 straight against us but really need this win! Mullin was 0-9 against Xavier, these Veteran guys they got must’ve been good as Freshman too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:53:45 PM by BannerMountainMan »

QuanMan

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »
Xavier has won 9 straight against us but really need this win! Mullin was 0-9 against Xavier, these Veteran guys they got must’ve been good as Freshman too.

Providence and Xavier owned Mullin, the combined record against is embarrassing.
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 05:09:07 PM »
Yes that bum was 0-9. Half of those losses were complete knock outs and we have posters implying that he was a good coach and the school is cursed.
Last year during a home game. We are getting blown out. Xavier was playing a HS level 2/3 zone. Bad shot after bad shot. Nothing from the St. John’s bench. In the second half No adjustments made no timeouts taken. But our hero made sure to curse out each referee. He also told the Xavier coach to shut the fxck up.

Two years ago in the big east tournament. St. John’s was actually competitive for about 15 minutes. We lost that game by almost 50. The hero decided not to shake hands. 4 star Yakwe didn’t play in that game. Amar and walk ons did.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »
Providence and Xavier owned Mullin, the combined record against is embarrassing.
From memory 1-7 vs providence. 0-9 vs Xavier. That would make him 19-43 vs the rest of the conference. That’s almost ok.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:13:35 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 06:32:40 PM »
Xavier has been delivering beatdowns (recently debated) for some time.

If CFC and the team get a W here I'll be duly impressed.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »
Yes that bum was 0-9. Half of those losses were complete knock outs and we have posters implying that he was a good coach and the school is cursed.
Last year during a home game. We are getting blown out. Xavier was playing a HS level 2/3 zone. Bad shot after bad shot. Nothing from the St. John’s bench. In the second half No adjustments made no timeouts taken. But our hero made sure to curse out each referee. He also told the Xavier coach to shut the fxck up.

Two years ago in the big east tournament. St. John’s was actually competitive for about 15 minutes. We lost that game by almost 50. The hero decided not to shake hands. 4 star Yakwe didn’t play in that game. Amar and walk ons did.
and that was one of the better coaching efforts by the Maestro.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 09:48:04 PM »

That’s one way to look at it, but you are familiar with graduation and players turning pro right?

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 09:53:47 PM »

Not even Anderson’s most ardent supporters (at least one being a relative) would argue that he is a marked improvement on Mullin in half court offense.

They’ve all tomd us that Anderson’s teams have trouble scoring in the half court and winning on the road.

I would be impressed if we won this game. I don’t think it will happen but I do think Anderson’s style matches up better with Xavier and Providence than Mullin’s. We have the front court to punch them back in the mouth this time around.

cjfish

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 10:08:24 PM »
I agree that the half court offense is shaky. But I like thE pressure D a lot...leading to buckets of turnovers and easy baskets. Rebounding has been great until last game and conditioning is superb. Mullin failed totally as a coach. Anderson has been good everywhere he’s been and I think he will very possibly turn the program around.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 11:00:07 PM »
Mullin failed totally as a coach.
How is earning an Ncaa tournament bid "failed totally as a coach"?

Johnny23

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 11:05:32 PM »
I agree that the half court offense is shaky. But I like thE pressure D a lot...leading to buckets of turnovers and easy baskets. Rebounding has been great until last game and conditioning is superb. Mullin failed totally as a coach. Anderson has been good everywhere he’s been and I think he will very possibly turn the program around.

Yup. Anderson's system travels well. Pressure D and good rebounding are the foundations that he's laying. Those pillars will always keep us competitive and with better recruiting we could be an annual contender to dance. That's about as good as it can get for this program.

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 11:15:54 PM »
Y’all literally had LJ, Mustapha, Ponds, Clark, Simon, Roberts, Williams, Earlington, and Wright last year, that’s a crazy packed roster...but no matter what a NCAA tourney bid is always a really good season.

ras

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 12:09:10 AM »
Y’all literally had LJ, Mustapha, Ponds, Clark, Simon, Roberts, Williams, Earlington, and Wright last year, that’s a crazy packed roster...but no matter what a NCAA tourney bid is always a really good season.
The problem was Roberts , Williams and Earlington weren’t used properly.  Wright had to sit out. As another poster said, should have played more against the patsies and would have been able to provide depth during the conference games.

cjfish

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 12:14:58 AM »
How is earning an Ncaa tournament bid "failed totally as a coach"?

Doesn’t mean anything after the disgraceful late season swoon which I put on the staff. Read my last post

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »
Not even Anderson’s most ardent supporters (at least one being a relative) would argue that he is a marked improvement on Mullin in half court offense.

They’ve all tomd us that Anderson’s teams have trouble scoring in the half court and winning on the road.

I would be impressed if we won this game. I don’t think it will happen but I do think Anderson’s style matches up better with Xavier and Providence than Mullin’s. We have the front court to punch them back in the mouth this time around.
So far he looks about the same as mullin in the half court. That’s not a compliment. Luckily we aren’t playing half court basketball.
I watched plenty of SEC basketball last year. The top teams are more athletic and bigger then the big east. At least it was last year. I saw Arkansas about 5/6 times. Anderson’s team played hard. But they didn’t have any physical advantage over teams like LSU.
The big east has gotten soft. Xavier wasn’t talented last year. They did fine in conference. Providence was considered to be a tough big east team. Arkansas beat them up in the NIT.

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 12:54:27 PM »
Doesn’t mean anything after the disgraceful late season swoon which I put on the staff. 
Is that so? Riddle me this:

Team A wins it's last 5 games of the season and qualifies for the Cbi.

Team B loses it's last 5 games of the season and qualifies for the Ncaa.

To the coach of which team is it most appropriate to label "failed totally as a coach"?