Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play

• 145 replies

Marillac

Re: Ceiling of this Team Now that We Have Begun BE Play
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2020, 03:31:13 PM »
I hope not.  If the boards eternal optimist is pessimistic...I'm concerned.

I’m only pessimistic for this season. I don’t think anyone—certainly not me—understood the extent to which Anderson needs his type of player.

That cuts both ways. He’s like a millennial that can’t drive stick shift with a Lamborghini and Porsche in the driveway with LJ and Heron.

He wants Rasheem Dunn and Josh Roberts types at 4-5 spots complemented by some skilled forwards.

The 6’10 forward he has committed would have been trash under any of our last three coaches, but I can now see him doing really well here. Same goes for the tall SG he has signed. I can see him getting more out of him than either Heron or LJ which is was crazy preseason.

We are going to absolutely overwhelm every single team we play next year with athleticism. Not one game will be close.

Johnny23

« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
Butt hurt

I get royalties every time that term is used  ;D

SJUFAN

« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2020, 03:58:58 PM »
I’m only pessimistic for this season. I don’t think anyone—certainly not me—understood the extent to which Anderson needs his type of player.

That cuts both ways. He’s like a millennial that can’t drive stick shift with a Lamborghini and Porsche in the driveway with LJ and Heron.

He wants Rasheem Dunn and Josh Roberts types at 4-5 spots complemented by some skilled forwards.

The 6’10 forward he has committed would have been trash under any of our last three coaches, but I can now see him doing really well here. Same goes for the tall SG he has signed. I can see him getting more out of him than either Heron or LJ which is was crazy preseason.

We are going to absolutely overwhelm every single team we play next year with athleticism. Not one game will be close.

If you mean players who can dribble, shoot, pass, and defend then what’s wrong with that? Cole is a really good player and has the potential to be better than LJ. That’s due to Cole’s abilities. That goes for all the players he’s bringing in. They can dribble and shoot.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:59:40 PM by SJUFAN »

TONYD3

« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »
Would be happy to pay up.

Foad

« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2020, 06:56:22 PM »

The first time the term butthurt was used in this forum was by me, in 2014. Emoji.

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=8932.msg205033#msg205033

Make your checks payable to

Coach Fifth Choice
PO Box 9th Place
Jethro, Arkansas, 00000-0001

TONYD3

« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2020, 07:28:59 PM »
The first time the term butthurt was used in this forum was by me, in 2014. Emoji.

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=8932.msg205033#msg205033

Make your checks payable to

Coach Fifth Choice
PO Box 9th Place
Jethro, Arkansas, 00000-0001

Butt hurt

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2020, 11:07:59 PM »

Go watch Posh and Dylan play if you're local. Not sure they're major difference makers here next year. They're tough kids that need time. Posh just doesn't have a solid jumper yet and is a score first pg. He is sorta like Dunn.

I haven't seen enough of Vince Cole or the other juco kid, but can we really expect JUCO kids to come in and dominate? Next year might be tougher than this year with Heron and LJ out and most likely a transfer or two.

Recruiting needs to get better and the skepticism is real for Anderson on that aspect.

Where is LJ going?  He has a year left.  Is he an NBA player right now or would it be better for him to come back next year

Poison

« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2020, 11:36:19 PM »
Where is LJ going?  He has a year left.  Is he an NBA player right now or would it be better for him to come back next year

He’s probably not an NBA player now, but maybe after a summer of hitting the gym, he’ll get a good contract overseas.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:36:33 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2020, 02:23:17 PM »

He’s not an NBA player after the season he’s having. He’s clearly not happy.

He’s been in college for 3.5 years so he’s probably close to graduating. If he graduates he’s going to transfer and would probably be the top transfer in the country. If he doesn’t graduate, I’d be surprised if he remained in college.

« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2020, 04:04:49 PM »
https://hoopvision.substack.com/p/should-offenses-play-faster  Interesting data here.  There's a chart about halfway down showing the amount of transition offense and transition efficiency by college coaches since 2010.  Interesting tidbit from that chart is that no college coach ran more transition offense than anderson and was more efficient in transition.  In other words, anderson's teams historically remain very efficient in transition despite pushing the ball in transition very often.

Marillac

« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »
https://hoopvision.substack.com/p/should-offenses-play-faster  Interesting data here.  There's a chart about halfway down showing the amount of transition offense and transition efficiency by college coaches since 2010.  Interesting tidbit from that chart is that no college coach ran more transition offense than anderson and was more efficient in transition.  In other words, anderson's teams historically remain very efficient in transition despite pushing the ball in transition very often.

Transition and secondary transition  aren’t the problem. We suck in the half court. He will have a few extra scholarships to bring in all the horses he needs to limit the half court.

The team will be loaded with physical freaks next year.

Marillac

« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »
It's amazing what good coaching can do.

Amazing is right.

Johnny23

« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:58 PM »

« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2020, 08:26:59 AM »
It's amazing what good coaching can do.
1 and 4 and we haven't played Nova or the Hall yet. It can get late pretty early around here.

Johnny23

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2020, 08:35:48 AM »
1 and 4 and we haven't played Nova or the Hall yet. It can get late pretty early around here.

Big picture I think we'll be fine. Ironic part is the two main holdovers from the last regime are hurting us more than anyone else. Next year will be almost all Anderson's guys. I'm still sticking with my dance by Year 3 prediction.

« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »
I think we also need to take a look at where these games were played.  I wouldn't expect this team to pick up more than 1 or 2 road wins in conference play.  however, they should win the majority of the home games -- I think that's why the butler loss stings the most.

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2020, 08:55:58 AM »
I'm still sticking with my dance by Year 3 prediction.
Dancing in year 3 would be akin to a tie with coach Mullin. I thought the new coach was far superior to the old coach?

TONYD3

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »
Dancing in year 3 would be akin to a tie with coach Mullin. I thought the new coach was far superior to the old coach?
How is it a tie? The lazy bum cashed those 2 million dollar checks.

« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2020, 10:37:47 AM »
I root for Saint John’s no matter who is coaching. Mullin was Clyde Drezler 2.0. He left after the play in game and never came back. Basically rode of into the sunset on the wings of mediocrity! 🤪 Mike Anderson in four years will have the program in a better place, I believe then Chris. Who if you look at objectively was a awful head of a basketball program. Empty suit!  Mike Anderson isn’t all talk there is actually substance with him. Will it translate yet to be determined.

Johnny23

« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2020, 11:22:42 AM »

How is dancing in Year 3 the same as dancing in Year 4? If he dances in Year 3 he wins. He is also building a foundation here, not a revolving door with guys transferring in and out that led to no sustainable formula. If nothing else Anderson seems to demand consistency.