How is everyone?

• 54 replies
How is everyone?
« on: March 24, 2020, 02:14:02 PM »
Wanted to check in with everyone to see how every one is doing both physically and mentally. Say what's up if you haven't posted in a while. Drop a good movie to watch, book to read, or game to play.

Here for all of you guys and hope everyone is staying safe
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: How is everyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 02:21:59 PM »
A bigger fan of baseball than basketball, I’m slowly going back through the Ken Burns series, which produces, of course, a cheap imitation of the pleasure I get from the actual game.

Other than that I’ve kept sane by turning dirt, sowing seeds and reading great literature about rich people that do nothing, Ford Maddox Ford and Henry James.

Happy to have JJ to check in with, too.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 03:04:43 PM »
Wanted to check in with everyone to see how every one is doing both physically and mentally. Say what's up if you haven't posted in a while. Drop a good movie to watch, book to read, or game to play.

Doing well. Thank you. How are you Dave?

I recommend The Other Dream Team - documentary about the Lithuanian basketball team. It’s great.

Johnny23

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:24:24 PM »
Not a book or movie but I watched the Duke-Kentucky "greatest game ever" from '92 on CBS over the weekend and still hate Christian Laettner.

Foad

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »

Doing well upstate. I've been self quarantining since 1992 and haven't touched a doorknob or used a public toilet since before that so the threat of contagion is low. I have a couple of cases of vodka in the basement, a full humidor and a trunkful of ammo. Currently sitting on the porch in camos with a 12 gauge and my great grandfather's trench knife hoping for looters. On the other hand am wondering whether divorce attorneys are considered essential personnel, because Mrs. Fun isn't and so has been working from home for two weeks now.

To my liberal friends I admit I made a mistake not voting for Hillary, if she'd been elected the virus would have committed suicide a week ago.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »
Doing well upstate. I've been self quarantining since 1992 and haven't touched a doorknob or used a public toilet since before that so the threat of contagion is low. I have a couple of cases of vodka in the basement, a full humidor and a trunkful of ammo. Currently sitting on the porch in camos with a 12 gauge and my great grandfather's trench knife hoping for looters. On the other hand am wondering whether divorce attorneys are considered essential personnel, because Mrs. Fun isn't and so has been working from home for two weeks now.

To my liberal friends I admit I made a mistake not voting for Hillary, if she'd been elected the virus would have committed suicide a week ago.

Stay safe and well old man....Need your crazy and delusional posts to keep me on my toes for years to come LOL....all kidding aside...stay safe...

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »
We went to 12 hour shifts, 7 days on 7 off. Currently on my week off, last week in the city was like I Am Legend. I miss the tournament and bars. Not people lol. All good in the Baldi world so far

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:55:51 PM »
Anyone who isn’t doing well mentally because of two weeks of quasi-isolation needs to take a long look in the mirror.

This is nothing but media driven hysteria and will be looked back on as a joke.

Foad

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
We went to 12 hour shifts, 7 days on 7 off.

I didn't know the Bunny Ranch had such strict hours. You must be sore.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 10:05:08 PM »
FS1 is showing the 2018 Duke game.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »
Anyone who isn’t doing well mentally because of two weeks of quasi-isolation needs to take a long look in the mirror.

Whether or not it’s media driven (it isn’t) in no way will it be looked at as a joke. Something like 6k people have died in Italy in a month. The worldwide economy has been decimated.

People react differently to all sorts of different things. I have a number of capable friends that had stable jobs and bright futures that have been laid off. How will they react? How will businesses react when things turn around? For whatever reason you aren’t buying this but maybe for once show some compassion.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 11:39:30 PM »

Right as usual.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 12:07:47 AM »
Whether or not it’s media driven (it isn’t) in no way will it be looked at as a joke. Something like 6k people have died in Italy in a month. The worldwide economy has been decimated.

People react differently to all sorts of different things. I have a number of capable friends that had stable jobs and bright futures that have been laid off. How will they react? How will businesses react when things turn around? For whatever reason you aren’t buying this but maybe for once show some compassion.

I have compassion for those who are being laid off due to this media-driven frenzy.  Look at the stats for past pandemics.  Over 1 billion people were infected with swine flu with 500,000 deaths.  What did we do?  I honestly don't even remember it.  You bet your arse it would be different if that came around now with how social media has evolved and how nasty, sensational, and partisan the media has become.

The economic casualties will far outweigh the actual physical impact this virus will have. 

Rodman

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:14 AM »
FS1 is showing the 2018 Duke game.

I watched it also.  Enjoyable, fun game.

The only players I would want from 2018 on CMA's team is Ponds and Owens.  You can have the rest.  Brilliant game by Ponds.  Clark, in typical fashion, fouled out.  Simon, hard to watch.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 03:26:02 AM »
We have the alarm status since March 13th.

We can leave home only for work, going to supermarkets and pharmacies.

In Spain the overall situation is not good, increasing the sick people and the deaths.

My family, job partners and me are Ok.

LoganK

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 03:39:45 AM »
I have compassion for those who are being laid off due to this media-driven frenzy.  Look at the stats for past pandemics.  Over 1 billion people were infected with swine flu with 500,000 deaths.  What did we do?  I honestly don't even remember it.  You bet your arse it would be different if that came around now with how social media has evolved and how nasty, sensational, and partisan the media has become.

The economic casualties will far outweigh the actual physical impact this virus will have. 
H1N1 had a fatality rate of 0.02%.  Coronavirus is believed to have a fatality rate of anywhere from 1.5%-8%.
If it were to infect the same amount of people, a conservative estimate would put the dead at 1,200,000 in the US.
That is why it is necessary to curb the spread.
But yes, it is as you said, "a joke"

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 06:24:25 AM »
H1N1 had a fatality rate of 0.02%.  Coronavirus is believed to have a fatality rate of anywhere from 1.5%-8%.
If it were to infect the same amount of people, a conservative estimate would put the dead at 1,200,000 in the US.

I am afraid that is not how it works, and perhaps this is what is meant by media frenzy feeding misinformation. For one thing, the virus does not have a fatality rate, it is the disease COVID-19 that has a case fatality rate. (This is akin to AIDS being the disease, which kills you, while HIV is the virus).

Case fatality rate of COVID-19 is not just the reported cases. It is the reported cases plus the unreported cases plus the asymptomatic cases (the latter two are far more and far more difficult to assess). When you add up all those against actual deaths you will see the percentage slipping lower and lower and lower.

Second, you want to look at the rate of duplication or spread (how quickly it is spread from one person to another and the days it takes to manifest in the person it is transmitted to) ... This is a slow-moving and less deadly virus in comparison to a number of other virsuses but still it is contagious and in the extreme density of an unprepared and undisciplined NYC you should see high number of cases (we are at almost 50% of all cases of US in a very small geographic area).

When all is said and done this entire virus/disease episode will generate less cases and less case fatalities than even h1n1 ... and guess what it is almost over :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:25:20 AM by Ez_Uzi »

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 07:45:07 AM »

Take out your tampon and use it to soak up your tears.

If you think COVD-19 has a mortality rate of 8% then you are a grade A twit. It will be well under 1% when the dust settles.

80% of H1N1 fatalities were under the age of 65 and we did absolutely nothing. If the same outbreak occurred now you would see mass hysteria.

Social media was in its infancy in 2009. The general media wasn’t as divisive and sensational (although still sh*tty). We weren’t so partisan and so quick to politicize every current event. We’ve had 12 years of constant sparring to get to the sh*tshow we’ve become. Iron sharpens iron.

LoganK

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 08:11:20 AM »
I am afraid that is not how it works, and perhaps this is what is meant by media frenzy feeding misinformation. For one thing, the virus does not have a fatality rate, it is the disease COVID-19 that has a case fatality rate. (This is akin to AIDS being the disease, which kills you, while HIV is the virus).

Case fatality rate of COVID-19 is not just the reported cases. It is the reported cases plus the unreported cases plus the asymptomatic cases (the latter two are far more and far more difficult to assess). When you add up all those against actual deaths you will see the percentage slipping lower and lower and lower.

Second, you want to look at the rate of duplication or spread (how quickly it is spread from one person to another and the days it takes to manifest in the person it is transmitted to) ... This is a slow-moving and less deadly virus in comparison to a number of other virsuses but still it is contagious and in the extreme density of an unprepared and undisciplined NYC you should see high number of cases (we are at almost 50% of all cases of US in a very small geographic area).

When all is said and done this entire virus/disease episode will generate less cases and less case fatalities than even h1n1 ... and guess what it is almost over :)

Replace the word "Coronavirus" with the word "Covid-19" to fix that issue (my understanding was that covid-19 was a type of coronavirus, rather than the AIDS/HIV reference you used, but I've been wrong before).

According to the WHO, coronavirus has a serial interval if 5-6 days compared to the regular flu at 3 days, but it is believed to have a higher rate of secondary infections (roughly 2-2.5).  The case mortality ratio was 3-4% as of 3/6 (old numbers, but all i found in a quick search from the WHO)

The CDC and the Chinese government's most recent numbers estimate a 2.3% CFR (case fatality rate).  This is much higher than that of the seasonal flu in the US (.1%).  While that number would be expected to drop if all infections were known, there is also the variable that this far, deaths have occurred between 2-8 weeks after symptoms have first appeared, meaning the death count is not accurate yet for CFR's purposes, either.

You are correct, there is no way to know the true IFR (infected fatality rate) until this is over, but most estimates seem to expect it to settle around 1-1.5%.

To play it off that this is nothing seems ignorant to me.  But let's hope you're right.

LoganK

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 08:15:35 AM »
Take out your tampon and use it to soak up your tears.
The irony of this coming from you is hilarious.
 :'( :'( :'(