Team Practice on SI

• 49 replies
Team Practice on SI
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:54:28 PM »
The Team practice on the SI Campus tonight for SI Spirit Night.

It is easy to see that Dele Coker is the most ipmproved player and will be the starting Center. We all new about him dropping 20lbs, but it all just seems to be coming together for him. Now will he be able to do when the bright light turn on?  He killed Tomas and Wait in the post tonight.

Sean Evans also looked good.I really see them splitting most of the time at the center spot.

Wait was hit with an elbow by Dele and will likely need about 12 stiches to close hit cut.

Rob Thomas attend, but did not suit up tonight. I do not know why. He did not look hurt.

Mase was mase.

Burrell looked good. It looks like he has really extended his range on his jump shot. I have no idea how many 3's he shot last year, but he will be shooting them this year if other 4 do not step out.

Boothe looked good running the team. He really is a great set up guy.

Q looked good. I see no issue with him backing up Boothe.

DJ, Paris and Ty play ok.

We Really need to Run Run this year.

kjd01067

Re: Team Practice on SI
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »
Ive got a couple questions for you.  What did you see out of Ty?  Will he be able to contribute this year? What kind of range did Quincy show?

Poison

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »
The Team practice on the SI Campus tonight for SI Spirit Night.

It is easy to see that Dele Coker is the most ipmproved player and will be the starting Center. We all new about him dropping 20lbs, but it all just seems to be coming together for him. Now will he be able to do when the bright light turn on?  He killed Tomas and Wait in the post tonight.

Sean Evans also looked good.I really see them splitting most of the time at the center spot.

Wait was hit with an elbow by Dele and will likely need about 12 stiches to close hit cut.

Rob Thomas attend, but did not suit up tonight. I do not know why. He did not look hurt.

Mase was mase.

Burrell looked good. It looks like he has really extended his range on his jump shot. I have no idea how many 3's he shot last year, but he will be shooting them this year if other 4 do not step out.

Boothe looked good running the team. He really is a great set up guy.

Q looked good. I see no issue with him backing up Boothe.

DJ, Paris and Ty play ok.

We Really need to Run Run this year.

Thanks for the info Red. Good to hear Coker looked good because we got killed in the paint last year.
You said that Q looked good, and that he could back up Boothe. What kind of player is Q? Hard to get a read from articles if he's a 2 or a pg/lead guard.

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:25:04 PM »
norm and JB both said quincy has been the most impressive freshman.  JB said he's a 2 guard playing out of position and that STJ wants him to play the 1.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:33:12 PM »
Much appreciate, bre.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:40:35 PM »
Good stuff......is STJ playing any tune-up games in the coming days?

kob24

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:43:37 PM »
Drexel then Iona

Poison

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 12:14:02 AM »
If the staff wants to use Q as a pg, it really makes you wonder if they have any kind of plan at all.
Sean Kilpatrick was offered a ship to play here. Was that the plan for him, too? To play him out of position?

What did we recruit Tyshawn Edmonson for if he's not the back up pg?

The season hasn't started yet, and we already have a good idea who will be the first player to transfer out.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:36:40 AM »
If the staff wants to use Q as a pg, it really makes you wonder if they have any kind of plan at all.
Sean Kilpatrick was offered a ship to play here. Was that the plan for him, too? To play him out of position?

The season hasn't started yet, and we already have a good idea who will be the first player to transfer out.

Yea its not like we want to have depth at every position...no, no, no. I do think Ty has some nice potential but he is too skinny right now to contribute but the kid is quick and bouncy.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 01:01:11 AM »

Yea its not like we want to have depth at every position...no, no, no. I do think Ty has some nice potential but he is too skinny right now to contribute but the kid is quick and bouncy.

point taken, but if we just recruited Truck Bryant from the get go, we'd have the ship filled with a local.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 03:28:29 AM »

point taken, but if we just recruited Truck Bryant from the get go, we'd have the ship filled with a local.

Counter point taken.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 08:59:19 AM »
Ive got a couple questions for you.  What did you see out of Ty?  Will he be able to contribute this year? What kind of range did Quincy show?

Ty is skinny. Kid looks like he is 14. He has a very nice shot. Hit a couple of 3 pointers during the scrimage. Just my opinion, but Ithink he will the odd man left out. Has the tools just needs time.

Q does not look like a fr. He is a true 6'5, I see no issue with him playing a combo guard for us this year. He played point against Boothe last night.  He looks like a player. Boothe is going to play 30 minutes a game.

Boothe, Q, Paris then Ty for time at point.

Every kid looked in great shape.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »

Thanks Red. Way to go. Good to hear that ev ery kid is in great shape.
Coker dragging his feet hurt us more than once last year.

Ty is skinny. Kid looks like he is 14. He has a very nice shot. Hit a couple of 3 pointers during the scrimage. Just my opinion, but Ithink he will the odd man left out. Has the tools just needs time.

Q does not look like a fr. He is a true 6'5, I see no issue with him playing a combo guard for us this year. He played point against Boothe last night.  He looks like a player. Boothe is going to play 30 minutes a game.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »

Agreed with Poison, if Coker got better position, he would have been more of a factor.

Any more on DJ and Paris? 

And how did Q's defense look?  Thinking about a 6'5" guy playing the point, my first question is if that player has the requisite quickness/ recovery speed to get in the way of a shorter, quick point guard.

Awesome report, by the way.

As for Edmondson, it's not beyond possibility that he will gain some weight and improve over the course of the year, playing spot time.  On a 12-13 man roster, some people have to log the DNP's.  And the team needs depth at the point.  Even if Q starts as a backup point, it doesn't mean his role can't change.

kjd01067

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 11:20:52 AM »

Thanks for the report Red!

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 12:15:20 PM »

I can understand the fustration and confusion... However, I think this is what Norm is thinking:

(1) Q. Roberts is more of a 2/3... However, we have alot of 2/3's on the team. Therefore, not alot of minutes to spread out at the 2/3 position (Especially with Mase probably taking 30 mins at the 3). So if Q. Roberts can handle the rock and spell Boothe then why not (even if it's not his best position... if the kid has talent and is more capable then anyone else at the pg position... then let him shine and get the most minutes possible).
(2) Ty may be to slim/weak right now to contribute significantly. Once he puts on more weight and gain more strength... he will fight for more mins at the 1 spot. (which may be later in the season).
(3) Next year Mase will be gone... which will have 30-35 more mins to spread out to the other guys such as Kennedy, Horne, Q.Roberts, and R. Thomas. Once this... Q. Roberts will probably get more time at the 2/3 slot and Ty will get more mins at the 1.

Sorry if I seem like I am all over the place... but I think by having Q.Roberts get some time at the 1 in the begining of the year might not be such a bad thing (especially in the long run). It will bring more depth to the team and let the guys that are the most versitle and/or with the most talent shine!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 12:16:47 PM by Johnny4Life »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »

I can understand the fustration and confusion... However, I think this is what Norm is thinking:

(1) Q. Roberts is more of a 2/3... However, we have alot of 2/3's on the team. Therefore, not alot of minutes to spread out at the 2/3 position (Especially with Mase probably taking 30 mins at the 3). So if Q. Roberts can handle the rock and spell Boothe then why not (even if it's not his best position... if the kid has talent and is more capable then anyone else at the pg position... then let him shine and get the most minutes possible).
(2) Ty may be to slim/weak right now to contribute significantly. Once he puts on more weight and gain more strength... he will fight for more mins at the 1 spot. (which may be later in the season).
(3) Next year Mase will be gone... which will have 30-35 more mins to spread out to the other guys such as Kennedy, Horne, Q.Roberts, and R. Thomas. Once this... Q. Roberts will probably get more time at the 2/3 slot and Ty will get more mins at the 1.

Sorry if I seem like I am all over the place... but I think by having Q.Roberts get some time at the 1 in the begining of the year might not be such a bad thing (especially in the long run). It will bring more depth to the team and let the guys that are the most versitle and/or with the most talent shine!

Good post.  Also, Q has a reputation as someone who can actually shoot (and didn't KOB mention that his shot was nice?) - if there is one thing this team sorely needs, it's a shooter in the backcourt... or at any position.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 12:27:40 PM »
The Staten Island Advance article says that Rob Thomas played... but the same article thinks the team went 16-15 last year. 

http://www.silive.com/colleges/advance/stjohns/index.ssf?/base/sports/12251898223910.xml&coll=1

Would be nice to see Rob Thomas in game action... if he is going to be able to play this year.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »
The Staten Island Advance article says that Rob Thomas played... but the same article thinks the team went 16-15 last year. 

http://www.silive.com/colleges/advance/stjohns/index.ssf?/base/sports/12251898223910.xml&coll=1

Would be nice to see Rob Thomas in game action... if he is going to be able to play this year.

Also the most poorly put together highlight reel lol

http://videos.silive.com/staten-island-advance/2008/10/st_johns_spirit_night_2008.html

kob24

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 12:41:01 PM »
boothe, dj, mase, burrell, coker
Quincy,Paris, rob, sean, tomas
Wait, tyshwan.
Paris is first off the bench an the starting line up will change come big east