Fire the assistants

• 43 replies

Tha Kid

Fire the assistants
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »
Why doesn't CM and FH require Norm to fire a few assistants and bring in a BONA FIDE xs and os guy on offense.  Tim Cluess would be great - but any xs and os guy would be a huge addition.  Pro teams do this all the team, and with another .500 season Norm really has no leverage to say no if that is what CM and FH want to make his employment contignent upon.  I think this could improve the team expontentially for next year - the talent is there, and so is the chemistry - they are good kids - we just need someone to be able to work the offense and let Norm work the defense and be in charge of game planning the big picture.  What do people think about this?
"I drink and I know things"

Re: Fire the assistants
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:12:41 PM »
Wasnt Quartelbaum the recruiting guru? Who has he brought in, I think Braica might have earned his keep bringing in kids.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »
Well it doesn't have to be all assistants but you could pick and plug. It's not like this staff hasn't undergone changes throughout Norm's tenure with chuck martin leaving. The two that raise some red flags would be Coach Casey and DOB Billy Singleton.

We know what Q brings to the table and what Briaca has done in terms of finding kids. Perhaps replacing Casey with Cluess could be a positive thing for the program.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Well it doesn't have to be all assistants but you could pick and plug. It's not like this staff hasn't undergone changes throughout Norm's tenure with chuck martin leaving. The two that raise some red flags would be Coach Casey and DOB Billy Singleton.

We know what Q brings to the table and what Briaca has done in terms of finding kids. Perhaps replacing Casey with Cluess could be a positive thing for the program.

Can someone tell me what Q brings to the table? Who knows, maybe Q will be the head coach at Fordham next year if/when Whittenberg is canned

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »

Can someone tell me what Q brings to the table? Who knows, maybe Q will be the head coach at Fordham next year if/when Whittenberg is canned

How about this..   

what does the entire staff bring to the table..?

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:49:33 PM »

How about this..   

That doesnt help with my question. Didnt Q have a great rep as a recruiter coming in? If thats the case it might have been a good hiring at the time, but is Braica bringing the kids in?
Who on this staff , if anyone has the most iinfluence on Lance? What about Hardy, who got him to sign?

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:52:22 PM »
WHY would a coach, whose stock is quite possibly the highest in the metro-area (Tim Cluess) take an assistant coaching job (I'm not even sure the pay would be much higher) for a possible lame-duck coach that could very well be fired within the next few years?

To me, it wouldn't make much sense, but you never know.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:57:31 PM »
WHY would a coach, whose stock is quite possibly the highest in the metro-area (Tim Cluess) take an assistant coaching job (I'm not even sure the pay would be much higher) for a possible lame-duck coach that could very well be fired within the next few years?

It makes a lot of sense. He gets an assistant gig at school in a major conference. If things go well he shares in the responsibility and that opens plenty of doors for him as another resume builder. Or if the team does bad and Norm gets canned then Cluess has his foot in the door already.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 12:59:09 PM »

How about this..   

That doesnt help with my question. Didnt Q have a great rep as a recruiter coming in? If thats the case it might have been a good hiring at the time, but is Braica bringing the kids in?
Who on this staff , if anyone has the most iinfluence on Lance? What about Hardy, who got him to sign?

I think Bracia finds them and Q does the talking.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »

How about this..   

Marco. . you have had this exact conversation before on BEB months ago and you know full well what Q's rep as a recruiter has been so I am not sure why you are going down this road again. Maybe another arguement for arguments sake.

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »

Why would you leave D2 CW Post for an assistant position in the Big East for a coach that may be fired?  Well 1) if the tema turns around when you get there, you are looked for a serious D1 job elsewhere, 2) if the administration likes you and gets rid of the head coach,  maybe they give you a shot at the job - in the Big east.

Why would it make sense to stay at D2 is the better question?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 01:26:02 PM »

How about this..   

Marco. . you have had this exact conversation before on BEB months ago and you know full well what Q's rep as a recruiter has been so I am not sure why you are going down this road again. Maybe another arguement for arguments sake.

Settle down, all knowing basketball pope. Im asking a question because I do not know the answer.
Im not sure I got the answer on beb months ago so I'll ask the same here.
I'll ask again for those who had a hard time understanding my confusing post. Is Q supposed to be the recruiter on the staff? Who has he brought in? Who has Braica brought in? Who has the most influence on Lance, if any? Also, who got Hardy? Thanks in advance for arguments sake

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »

How about this..   

Settle down, all knowing basketball pope. Im asking a question because I do not know the answer.
I'll ask again for those who had a hard time understanding my confusing post. Is Q supposed to be the recruiter on the staff? Who has he brought in? Who has Braica brought in? Who has the most influence on Lance, if any? Also, who got Hardy? Thanks in advance for arguments sake

All knowing Pope...  please...   the only thing I know for sure is that you are an ass..

You asked the same exact question about Q on BEB months ago and it was discussed at length then...   

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:47 PM »

How do you think Buzz Williams became coach at Marquette?

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 01:56:41 PM »

How about this..   

All knowing Pope...  please...   the only thing I know for sure is that you are an ass..

You asked the same exact question about Q on BEB months ago and it was discussed at length then...

I dont know why youre responding if you have no clue or have no input.
Way to resort to personal attacks when u cant back up an argument...go back to BEB where they allow that crap

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
Recruiting from the past class...

Coach Q- Quincy Roberts

Coach Casey- Tyshwan Edmondson

Coach Braica- Phil Wait

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
Recruiting from the past class...

Coach Q- Quincy Roberts

Coach Casey- Tyshwan Edmondson

Coach Braica- Phil Wait

Thanks Dave, do you know about the previous classes?

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »
Coach Q- DJ Kennedy, Dele Coker, Rob Thomas

Coach Casey- Sean Evans(I'm not sure on this one he might have been recruited by Q)

Coach Braica- Justin Burrell, Paris Horne

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »

Why would you leave D2 CW Post for an assistant position in the Big East for a coach that may be fired?  Well 1) if the tema turns around when you get there, you are looked for a serious D1 job elsewhere, 2) if the administration likes you and gets rid of the head coach,  maybe they give you a shot at the job - in the Big east.

Why would it make sense to stay at D2 is the better question?

Job security yo.

The man has a family and a challengin one at that. He need the bennies and the check.

Aint gonna trade a secure job fo sometin that aint gonna last long.

Sides, he has always been the one who call the shot. Aint gonna be no subordinate to a coach who know less than he do. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
Coach Q- DJ Kennedy, Dele Coker, Rob Thomas

Coach Casey- Sean Evans(I'm not sure on this one he might have been recruited by Q)

Coach Braica- Justin Burrell, Paris Horne

Good stuff, thanks Dave. Looks like I came to the right place for answers