Lance, Norm, and Poor St Johns fans..

• 95 replies
Re: Lance, Norm, and Poor St Johns fans..
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »
i'm not sure what you're saying.  should he stay or should he go?  hard work and dedication aren't traits that are limited to norm.  most coaches work hard and are dedicated.

i don't know who else he plans to bring in.

he's not a good game coach.  he's overrated as a recruiter.  the only thing he has going for him is a boss who has no sense of urgency about winning.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »
Newsman, if you're talking to me, I think I was pretty clear in saying earlier in this topic:

...the things Norm has done well are generally replaceable.  And given a mandate, I think another coach can find guys who don't get into trouble, attend class occasionally, and play hard.

and

But saying Norm is the only guy to do the job he's done in fits and starts, I think, is just not true.

Pretty clear. 

The school would be well served giving Norm some kind of outreach job, thanking him heartily for his work, and hiring someone else to build upon the things he's done, and work both hard and smart to bring this team back to actual winning and losing, not just moral victories and heartwarming personal stories.

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2009, 03:38:47 PM »
NEWSMAN...the ban was self imposed but if we didnt self impose the ban, the NCAA would have banned us anyways, so that was a dumb point

as for available coaches...go to hoopscoop.com and you can see available coaches...Norm is a good coach...a good coach will be able to to coach his team, but when his job is in question (like Norm's, because of so many angry "fans") it makes his job of recruiting players 10 times as hard.

ATTENTION TO EVERYONE CALLING FOR NORMS HEAD!!! WHO IS OUT THERE TO REPLACE HIM? WHICH COACH IN AMERICA (OR THE WORLD FOR THAT MATTER) CAN MEET THESE REQUIRMENTS:
1. THEY ARE UNEMPLOYED RIGHT NOW
2. THEY WILL ACCEPT THE SALARY ST JOHNS PAYS
3. HAS TIES TO NYC BASKETBALL AND CAN GET RECRUITS THE WAY NORM AND COACH Q CAN
4. HAS TIES TO AAU AND PREP SCHOOL COACHES
5. CAN KEEP A PROGRAM CLEAN THE WAY NORM DOES (NORM REALLY DOES HAVE A THING FOR ATTRACTING "GOOD" KIDS, MANY COACHES WISH THEIR PLAYERS COULD STAY AS CLEAN AS ST JOHNS PLAYERS HAVE IN RECENT YEARS)

FACTOR IN ALL THESE THINGS. A COACHING CHANGE RIGHT NOW WOULD HURT THE PROGRAM MUCH MORE THEN HELP IT. SO MANY PEOPLE ON MESSAGE BOARDS LIKE THIS SEEM TO HAVE ALMOST A PERSONAL HATRED OF NORM (NO IDEA WHERE THAT COMES FROM?). PEOPLE MAKE IT SEEM SO EASY, "FIRE NORM AND GO TO THE TOURNAMENT." ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE AT ALL. AND ESPECIALLY FACTOR IN NORMS REPLACEMENT. WHO IS THAT GONNA BE? CALIPARI AND PITNO ARE NOT REALISTIC AT ALL AND IF YOU THINK ST JOHNS CAN PULL A COACH LIKE THAT YOU ARE LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD. IM JUST WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO SUGGEST HIRING PHIL JACKSON. NORM IS NOT THE PERFECT COACH. ASK COLLEGE COACHES ACROSS AMERICA AND THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT THIS MAN IS A GOOD COACH (IVE HEARD THIS FIRST HAND FROM NUMEROUS D1 COACHES). I FEEL LIKE THE REASON PEOPLE HAVE SUCH A STRONG HATRED FOR NORM IS BECAUSE THEY NEED A SCAPE GOAT FOR ALL THE LOSSES. ALTHOUGH NORM PLAYS A PART OF IT, HE IS NOT THE SOLE REASON FOR OUR POOR RECORD. THERE ARE SO MANY VARIABLES TO FACTOR IN. DONT USE NORM AS A SCAPEGOAT BECAUSE THAT DOESNT HELP ANYONE AT ALL. IT IS HURTING OUR PROGRAM GREATLY.

Your first point shows exactly how out of touch you actually are or how naive you really are..

Since when does one coach being employed prevent him from being a candidate for another opening.

What big time coach at a big program would leave their current job to coach at St. Johns? Pitino,Calipari? No and no. Whose left on the scrap heap, Paul Hewitt-Georgia Tech wont buy him out. Anthony Grant-hes going big time. St Johns isnt bigtime. Tom Pecora-thats a step sideways. So who ?

I'd take Mark Jackson with some experienced assistants.  I'd take Pecora over Norm - no joke.  I'd take McCaffrey, Gregory --- see how their teams have done.  You don't think either of those guys comes to St. John's in a heartbeat?

These are coaches of teams who have MADE the NCAA tourney and woN! more than Norm could EVER say.

There are a plethora of coaches out there we could have, and not that expensively, who are WAY better than Norm.

McCaffrey could have his pick of jobs right now. Hes making 600+ at Siena, why would he come here if he could go to Arizona,Virginia or Notre Dame when Brey leaves or gets axed.Im not sold on Pecora, hes no Jay Wright. Mark Jacksons never coached a game on any level and you want him to lead this school to the promised land against the likes of Boeheim,Pitino,Calhoun,Huggins and Wright?

I'd be surprised if Arizona even considers him.  They are looking for a huge name like a Calipari.  Geez, their own coach already has them a game away from the Elite Eight.  Talk about standards!  I wish we had a little of that at STJ.

Virginia is the only job I see Fran getting considered for and why would he choose them over STJ?  He already lives in NY and recruits the area and has connections. 

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »
NEWSMAN...the ban was self imposed but if we didnt self impose the ban, the NCAA would have banned us anyways, so that was a dumb point

as for available coaches...go to hoopscoop.com and you can see available coaches...Norm is a good coach...a good coach will be able to to coach his team, but when his job is in question (like Norm's, because of so many angry "fans") it makes his job of recruiting players 10 times as hard.

ATTENTION TO EVERYONE CALLING FOR NORMS HEAD!!! WHO IS OUT THERE TO REPLACE HIM? WHICH COACH IN AMERICA (OR THE WORLD FOR THAT MATTER) CAN MEET THESE REQUIRMENTS:
5. CAN KEEP A PROGRAM CLEAN THE WAY NORM DOES (NORM REALLY DOES HAVE A THING FOR ATTRACTING "GOOD" KIDS, MANY COACHES WISH THEIR PLAYERS COULD STAY AS CLEAN AS ST JOHNS PLAYERS HAVE IN RECENT YEARS)

FACTOR IN ALL THESE THINGS. A COACHING CHANGE RIGHT NOW WOULD HURT THE PROGRAM MUCH MORE THEN HELP IT. SO MANY PEOPLE ON MESSAGE BOARDS LIKE THIS SEEM TO HAVE ALMOST A PERSONAL HATRED OF NORM (NO IDEA WHERE THAT COMES FROM?). PEOPLE MAKE IT SEEM SO EASY, "FIRE NORM AND GO TO THE TOURNAMENT." ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE AT ALL. AND ESPECIALLY FACTOR IN NORMS REPLACEMENT. WHO IS THAT GONNA BE? CALIPARI AND PITNO ARE NOT REALISTIC AT ALL AND IF YOU THINK ST JOHNS CAN PULL A COACH LIKE THAT YOU ARE LIVING IN A DREAM WORLD. IM JUST WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO SUGGEST HIRING PHIL JACKSON. NORM IS NOT THE PERFECT COACH. ASK COLLEGE COACHES ACROSS AMERICA AND THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT THIS MAN IS A GOOD COACH (IVE HEARD THIS FIRST HAND FROM NUMEROUS D1 COACHES). I FEEL LIKE THE REASON PEOPLE HAVE SUCH A STRONG HATRED FOR NORM IS BECAUSE THEY NEED A SCAPE GOAT FOR ALL THE LOSSES. ALTHOUGH NORM PLAYS A PART OF IT, HE IS NOT THE SOLE REASON FOR OUR POOR RECORD. THERE ARE SO MANY VARIABLES TO FACTOR IN. DONT USE NORM AS A SCAPEGOAT BECAUSE THAT DOESNT HELP ANYONE AT ALL. IT IS HURTING OUR PROGRAM GREATLY.

Your first point shows exactly how out of touch you actually are or how naive you really are..

Since when does one coach being employed prevent him from being a candidate for another opening.

What big time coach at a big program would leave their current job to coach at St. Johns? Pitino,Calipari? No and no. Whose left on the scrap heap, Paul Hewitt-Georgia Tech wont buy him out. Anthony Grant-hes going big time. St Johns isnt bigtime. Tom Pecora-thats a step sideways. So who ?

I'd take Mark Jackson with some experienced assistants.  I'd take Pecora over Norm - no joke.  I'd take McCaffrey, Gregory --- see how their teams have done.  You don't think either of those guys comes to St. John's in a heartbeat?

These are coaches of teams who have MADE the NCAA tourney and woN! more than Norm could EVER say.

There are a plethora of coaches out there we could have, and not that expensively, who are WAY better than Norm.

McCaffrey could have his pick of jobs right now. Hes making 600+ at Siena, why would he come here if he could go to Arizona,Virginia or Notre Dame when Brey leaves or gets axed.Im not sold on Pecora, hes no Jay Wright. Mark Jacksons never coached a game on any level and you want him to lead this school to the promised land against the likes of Boeheim,Pitino,Calhoun,Huggins and Wright?

I'd be surprised if Arizona even considers him.  They are looking for a huge name like a Calipari.  Geez, their own coach already has them a game away from the Elite Eight.  Talk about standards!  I wish we had a little of that at STJ.

Virginia is the only job I see Fran getting considered for and why would he choose them over STJ?  He already lives in NY and recruits the area and has connections.

McCaffrey coached under the Virginia AD Craig Littlepage before. I think he wants that Notre Dame job though

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:40 PM »

McCaffrey coached under the Virginia AD Craig Littlepage before. I think he wants that Notre Dame job though

What Notre Dame job?  Brey was the Big East Coach of the Year two of the last three years.  Why would he want the job even if it opened up...because he's Irish?  Who wants to live in Northern Indiana?  He's an east coast guy.

Great run by Fran, but in all honesty he'd be lucky--like anyone really--to get a high major coaching job.  He'd jump at the chance to go to UVA or STJ. 

The window is so small when you are talking about 40+ year old men parlaying low-major success into a high-major job.  It also closes very, very quickly. Aks Jim Laranaga from George Mason about that or even Mckillop.

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »

What Notre Dame job?  Brey was the Big East Coach of the Year two of the last three years.  Why would he want the job even if it opened up...because he's Irish?  Who wants to live in Northern Indiana?  He's an east coast guy.

Great run by Fran, but in all honesty he'd be lucky--like anyone really--to get a high major coaching job.  He'd jump at the chance to go to UVA or STJ. 

The window is so small when you are talking about 40+ year old men parlaying low-major success into a high-major job.  It also closes very, very quickly. Aks Jim Laranaga from George Mason about that or even Mckillop.

You dont think Breys on the hot seat over there? Even if he isnt, he may take another job. Hes losing his whole team this year. Even if Harangody returns, they suck next year. Nows his time to move. McCaffrey was an asst under Digger and brought in great recruits to ND. He wants that job and the ND message board is pining for him

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »
Brey isn't going anywhere.  He returns the best player in the conference.

Fran is in no position to turn down jobs for a maybe.  Strike while the iron is hot.

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2009, 04:21:18 PM »

A prior relationship with Littlepage, better facilities, better pay, academics, state school resources, a great basketball conference, one of the prettiest college towns in the US, and one of the top two new arenas in the country

If I were Brey, I'd bolt now for one of the state school jobs.
There's a small, but vocal faction that wants him out.

He's paid his dues. Brey's won at an overwhelmingly football school, dealt with severe academic restrictions and miserable weather, lived in one of the worst college towns in the country, heard broken promises of upgraded facilities, and taken the program back to relevance. Before he arrived, Notre Dame hadn't been to the NCAA tournament since 1990. He's taken them to five in nine years and had to narrow misses in two other years where he had a 9-7 record in the league. He's won back-to-back Coach of the Year awards, but the fans seem to believe that before he arrived they were Kansas or Kentucky.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2009, 04:33:37 PM »
I don't think Brey has to go anywhere this year, but Marillac, you have to see that Brey's results are a little underwhelming... I mean, his team lost to St. John's in 09 and 07!  They can't get to the top of the conference, and his talent base is leaving the school... if 'Bama or Georgia come calling when they can't pry away Capel/ Tubby Smith, etc, I think he should pack his turtlenecks and get some ballers who need the Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good (but can get above the rim). 

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2009, 07:24:35 PM »
um wow where do i start?

first of all marilac the personal attacks are completely unneccisary and pointless so leave that behind.

The reason i said unemployed was because, well who honestly in this thread believes that an experienced coach will give up a secure job and take a pay cut to come to a losing program, where your job wont be secure.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2009, 09:41:21 PM »

Fran is in no position to turn down jobs for a maybe.  Strike while the iron is hot.

Ok than what about this scenario. Jay Wright to Arizona or NBA-Fran to Villanova. McCaffrey has all sorts of recruiting ties in Philly and surrounding areas

pmg911

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2009, 07:58:44 AM »

Ok than what about this scenario. Jay Wright to Arizona or NBA-Fran to Villanova. McCaffrey has all sorts of recruiting ties in Philly and surrounding areas

What NBA job do you think Jay Wright might get..?

Tha Kid

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2009, 09:24:50 AM »
um wow where do i start?

first of all marilac the personal attacks are completely unneccisary and pointless so leave that behind.

The reason i said unemployed was because, well who honestly in this thread believes that an experienced coach will give up a secure job and take a pay cut to come to a losing program, where your job wont be secure.

Won't be secure?  Norm Roberts has been given 5 years and counting without ever having to win!  I'd say job security is one of the few things St. John's CAN promise right now - as long as you don't get caught up in a scandal!
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2009, 09:26:26 AM »

You dont think Breys on the hot seat over there? Even if he isnt, he may take another job. Hes losing his whole team this year. Even if Harangody returns, they suck next year. Nows his time to move. McCaffrey was an asst under Digger and brought in great recruits to ND. He wants that job and the ND message board is pining for him

Listen to Marillac, Baldi.  Do you just like to take points to disagree with people.  Brey has done a fantastic year --- 1 bad season is not going to get him the boot.  When has ND - in recent years - spent big money on a big time coach? Why would they fire him?

It's funny bc with St Johns you act like we should hang around and wait for Norm to deliver a miracle, while ND should fire Brey for one bad year?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »

What NBA job do you think Jay Wright might get..?

76ers. But we'll have to wait and see what opens up
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:39:07 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2009, 12:45:56 PM »

Listen to Marillac, Baldi.  Do you just like to take points to disagree with people.  Brey has done a fantastic year --- 1 bad season is not going to get him the boot.  When has ND - in recent years - spent big money on a big time coach? Why would they fire him?

It's funny bc with St Johns you act like we should hang around and wait for Norm to deliver a miracle, while ND should fire Brey for one bad year?

Take points to disagreee with people? I brought it up in the 1st place.  Also, St Johns wasnt pre-season top 10, with the best player in the conference on its squad. Notre Dame severly underachieved this year and their is a hot coach waiting in the wings