Rob Thomas on Outside the Lines

• 41 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Rob Thomas on Outside the Lines
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
The official site's posted a photo shoot of the ESPN crew following Rob Thomas up in Harlem and his interview at Minisink Community Center:

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/view.gal?id=51229

Re: Rob Thomas on Outside the Lines
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
Well I guess we can't say St. John's isn't in the media this summer. Between AMJ on MTV and Rob Thomas on ESPN at least St. John's name is getting out there. Curious as to when this will be on.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 04:43:15 PM »
In about 2 weeks apparently.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 04:45:04 PM »
There is also going to be an article in ESPN the magazine about Rob as well.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »
  Very cool.  OTL is a very good show IMO.  I assume this is about his road back from the horrific knee injury.  Rob is very easy to root for and I hope he has a great year.

He's been overlooked quite a bit when we talk about next year.  He tends to fly under the radar. 

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 05:10:26 PM »
  Very cool.  OTL is a very good show IMO.  I assume this is about his road back from the horrific knee injury.  Rob is very easy to root for and I hope he has a great year.

He's been overlooked quite a bit when we talk about next year.  He tends to fly under the radar.

I'm betting it has nothing to do with the knee injury, they're a dime a dozen, and everything to do with overcoming the educational system that would let a dyslexic that couldn't read get into HS before anyone did anything about it and the efforst Rob has put in to  catch up and work towards getting his degree.  That's a good story.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »
Either that or it's about NCAA players who believe they have imaginary horns growing on their head that they can't stop playing with anytime they make a basket.  Just kidding.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »

I'm betting it has nothing to do with the knee injury, they're a dime a dozen, and everything to do with overcoming the educational system that would let a dyslexic that couldn't read get into HS before anyone did anything about it and the efforst Rob has put in to  catch up and work towards getting his degree.  That's a good story.

Good call.   You are probably correct.  Though the imaginary horn idea is something i always wondered about.  Seriously,  anyone know what the hell that is?

Poison

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:32:48 PM »
That's great news. I hope he continues to work hard and graduates. If he could lose 15 pounds and get really cut up, who knows maybe he could really make a difference.

I thought he was easily our best player coming off the bench.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »
Love him. Had a nice conversation with Rob a few years back (the year before he played) as he waited for the game in the Garden lobby.
Does anyone know what kind of shape he's in this year?

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 09:28:45 PM »
That's great news. I hope he continues to work hard and graduates. If he could lose 15 pounds and get really cut up, who knows maybe he could really make a difference.

I thought he was easily our best player coming off the bench.

I agree Poison on all points. Looks like he'll be the first big off the bench depending on the starters

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:38:14 PM »
How can you not root for this kid. Love his hustle and i love the vibe when he gets in the game. Injuries have a way of change your perspective when the game is taken away from you. He plays hard like every play might be his last.

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:04 PM »
I'm curious to Rob's role in the rotation next year. I would hope to expect that Brownlee would get some burn in the front court.

Also not to popular opinion but I hope Dele Coker's role is expanded next season. The guy has size and is just more of a presence on defense than anyone else on the team. I'm hoping Coach Dixon is working on his hand-eye coordination in addition to strengthening his core to hopefully improve body control.

I see all guys playing at different times in different situations but when push comes to shove some guys are not going to be in the regular rotation.

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 11:53:10 AM »
Much luv to Rob.
Keep yo head up bre!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »
The young man is a great story and I wish him the best in everything he does but I do think he is going to be one of the kids that that sees their minutes diminish significanly next season.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »
The young man is a great story and I wish him the best in everything he does but I do think he is going to be one of the kids that that sees their minutes diminish significanly next season.

What makes you say that Thomas will play less?

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »

I would agree with PMG. If Brownlee isn't more of a talent than Thomas why recruit him in the first place? Then again by past history I wouldn't be shocked the other way around either.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »

I would agree with PMG. If Brownlee isn't more of a talent than Thomas why recruit him in the first place? Then again by past history I wouldn't be shocked the other way around either.

We recruited TyShawn Edmonson and Quincy Roberts, and neither were more talented than Cavatiao and Wright.

The why is because it's our style.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 05:07:24 PM »

We recruited TyShawn Edmonson and Quincy Roberts, and neither were more talented than Cavatiao and Wright.

The why is because it's our style.

Fair point, though I think Quincy will be a productive four year player, however they both came in as frosh, not juniors like Brownlee (and Hardy) and without any college game experience.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »
Rob do his thing workin the post and scorin in limited mins.
Who else can do that?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.