Myck Kabongo

and more

http://twitter.com/JohnnyJungleSTJ
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:30:51 AM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

mkras99

Re: IS8 Playoffs today...follow on twitter
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »
Hopefully you can get some good interviews. 

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:41:11 AM »
I'm here and tweeting

gonzalo

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Hopefully you can get some good interviews.

And good news.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »
I'll be there seeing

Sterling Gibbs
Russ Smith
JJ Moore
Jayvaughn Pinkston
Ashton Pankey
Ryan Rhoomes
Corey Edwards
Devon Collier
Myck Kabongo

and more

If you were a betting man, do you think Norm is able to land any of these players?  It seems like Moore or Pinkston are the team's best possibilities, but judging by Norm's history, I have my doubts.

LJSA

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »
I think Rhoomes is the best bet.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »
I'll be there seeing

Sterling Gibbs
Russ Smith
JJ Moore
Jayvaughn Pinkston
Ashton Pankey
Ryan Rhoomes
Corey Edwards
Devon Collier
Myck Kabongo
and more

Thanks, JJ, for the effort.

It's as if Norm limits himself to kids that play at the little IS8 tournament. Maybe it's a budget or a hustle issue, but one would think that a quality recruiter could sell kids in other parts of the country on playing and living in NYC.

Hell, Robinson is trying to pitch Collier on living in Corvallis, Oregon (a place where the current African-American population is 1.16%) and that his sister is married to the President, which he is currently milking better than Tony Rodham.

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »
I'll be getting updates done today. I'm trying to do as much as possible before the Dolphins game but most likely won't have stuff up till after.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 01:00:19 PM »
Was Norm or anyone from the coaching staff there?

mkras99

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:53:58 PM »
Staff can't go. It's not a sanctioned event.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 02:54:46 PM »
Staff can't go. It's not a sanctioned event.

Good to know, thanks!

kob24

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 03:12:59 PM »
They can't be there. Cross was there

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »

It's as if Norm limits himself to kids that play at the little IS8 tournament. Maybe it's a budget or a hustle issue, but one would think that a quality recruiter could sell kids in other parts of the country on playing and living in NYC.

Hell, Robinson is trying to pitch Collier on living in Corvallis, Oregon (a place where the current African-American population is 1.16%) and that his sister is married to the President, which he is currently milking better than Tony Rodham.
Not to start s**t, but a good deal (I would say most?) of the people who post about Norm's recruiting assail him for not getting enough of the local kids, not getting in on them in time.  And for bringing too many players from outside the area (who, granted, have not been impact ballers). I think they'd want him to concentrate his efforts on kids who play IS8 and other local events.

I see the point, but I like those two Pennsylvania kids in the starting lineup and hope the third one makes some plays this year.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 04:17:59 PM »
There were a lot of good kids at IS8 yesterday that aren't being recruited by us and probably some you've never heard of. I don't see any problem with picking a whole team out of the talent pool there.

kob24

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »
is8 is one of the top tournaments in the country hands down. Of it was during the open period it would be flooded with coaches.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 01:30:36 AM »
Not to start s**t, but a good deal (I would say most?) of the people who post about Norm's recruiting assail him for not getting enough of the local kids, not getting in on them in time.  And for bringing too many players from outside the area (who, granted, have not been impact ballers). I think they'd want him to concentrate his efforts on kids who play IS8 and other local events.

I see the point, but I like those two Pennsylvania kids in the starting lineup and hope the third one makes some plays this year.

Yeah, I agree. I personally don't care if they all come from Staten Island, Chicago, or Wyoming. For whatever reason, the novelty of playing in NY and at St. John's specifically doesn't seem to be there with the local kids this decade. Hopefully, that changes in time and with increased success, but, in the meantime, he can't put himself at a severe disadvantage in the BE by almost entirely recruiting NY and its neighboring states. Despite all of the time and resources put into chasing the locals, he and the staff have managed to land two quality NY players, Burrell and Lawrence, in 5+ years. With the time that Roberts and even Quartlebaum spent in the Midwest, I hope they'd be able to land some Chicago or Texas players and advance the program from the days of Carnesecca's "subway token" approach to recruiting.

kob24

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 12:27:10 PM »
we lost to new heights by 4 points. but it was a great game. we had the lead with 1:30 to go but pressure bust pipes at is8

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:48:22 AM »
http://johnnyjungle.com

Plenty of updates from this weekend and more to come.

Tha Kid

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 10:00:40 AM »
I'll be there seeing

Sterling Gibbs
Russ Smith
JJ Moore
Jayvaughn Pinkston
Ashton Pankey
Ryan Rhoomes
Corey Edwards
Devon Collier
Myck Kabongo
and more

It's amazing.  If Norm recruits guys from PA and outside NY, he gets criticized.  Then if he attends IS8 and has a bunch of potential recruits there, he gets criticized for being small minded.  Unbelievable!
"I drink and I know things"