Maven reporting we beat UVA

• 48 replies
Re: Maven reporting we beat UVA
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
Excellent news!  My hopes are high this season.  Stith is a winner and if he can just give us 15-20 tough, turnover-limited minutes a game, we'll be a much better team than last year.

We are really going to need Brownlee to give us some bounce in the post.  Put-backs will be crucial to our success.

If Stith proves better than Booth, he should start and Booth can do what he should have been always doing. . be a back up.

I agree, the best player should get the pt-no matter what position

If Norm adhered to this policy Geno would have been backing up Flag Boy

Time for wasju to start living in the present. SOon you might run out of excuses to bash this team

Um they sucked last year and are picked in the bottom half of the BE this year Cletus ;)
I think from now on these sites should only list the posts people make that actually make sense. If this was the case your combined posts on the two board would be 5

"sucked last year" is past tense. ;)  You need to take off the Benetton pullover and get with the times Squiggy

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 03:53:02 PM »
While I prefer to go into each season with Rose Colored glasses firmly in place if WASJU doesn't that's his prerogative, and the approach of many.  True enough nothing has been shown on the court yet to prove either opinion wrong.

boo3

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 03:57:34 PM »
  If we really scored 90 pts, that would be a great sign.  unless ,of course, we played 90 minutes.   

Tha Kid

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 04:00:24 PM »
No one will be bashing if the team produces.  I don't think it's unfair for some of the posters here, including myself, who are somewhat on the negative side to not get our hopes up completely until we see some results.  I used to be an eternal optimist, now I'm somewhat of a realist.  If we can beat or even hang tight with Siena in Philly, that'll really show me something that I haven't seen in a while.

Ive been arguing our case against Siena for months on the MAAC board. I think we win this game, beating a top 25 team in some polls

There's a MAAC board?  Who's on it besides Baldi and Dexter Gray?  ;)
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »
90 to 79 is a great sign for this year. I am really looking forward to Friday for my 1st look at this years team.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 04:35:14 PM »
No one will be bashing if the team produces.  I don't think it's unfair for some of the posters here, including myself, who are somewhat on the negative side to not get our hopes up completely until we see some results.  I used to be an eternal optimist, now I'm somewhat of a realist.  If we can beat or even hang tight with Siena in Philly, that'll really show me something that I haven't seen in a while.

Ive been arguing our case against Siena for months on the MAAC board. I think we win this game, beating a top 25 team in some polls

Some great fans on there, diehards

Total Members: 641

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »

I have 2 serious questions

1. Is Virginia supposed to be any good this year ?

2. Baldi spends so much time on this site how does he have any time to post anywhere else ?

Poison

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »

2. Baldi spends so much time on this site how does he have any time to post anywhere else ?

Virgina was worse than us last year.

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »

You'll miss Baldi when hes gone

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »

Virgina was worse than us last year.

Predicted 11th out of 12 in pre season ACC coaches poll.  Obviously they have Sylven as well as a four star frosh SF, guess not much else.  They're starting center, a 7 fter, was also suspended for the exhibition and first three games so he wasn't on the floor.  New coach too.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 07:18:19 PM »
Sylven? Why does that name sound familiar?

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »

It sounds like the learning center your parents sent you to as a kid.   ;)

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »
It sounds like the learning center your parents sent you to as a kid.   ;)

;D

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »

You'll miss Baldi when hes gone

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »
 UVA is by far the worst team in the a.c.c. Syl is in a bad place..the coach is by far the worst in the a.c.c.he may be the only coach who is worse than Norm in a major conference.He likes to play a slow down game.I wouldnt put to much into a scrimmage..

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43:37 PM »
UVA is by far the worst team in the a.c.c. Syl is in a bad place..the coach is by far the worst in the a.c.c.he may be the only coach who is worse than Norm in a major conference.He likes to play a slow down game.I wouldnt put to much into a scrimmage..
Yeah, Tony Bennett and Norm Roberts...very similar.
-One was 2007 National Coach of the Year at one of the most remotely located state schools in the country, while the other is a perennial loser in Queens.

-One has never missed a postseason, while the other has never made a postseason.

-One is busy landing a top ten class in his first year at a school with academic restrictions, while the other can't land top ten classes, despite his administration allowing him to recruit guys with middle school reading capabilities.

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »
Yeah, Tony Bennett and Norm Roberts...very similar.
-One was 2007 National Coach of the Year at one of the most remotely located state schools in the country, while the other is a perennial loser in Queens.

-One has never missed a postseason, while the other has never made a postseason.

-One is busy landing a top ten class in his first year at a school with academic restrictions, while the other can't land top ten classes, despite his administration allowing him to recruit guys with middle school reading capabilities.

Seriously.  While you're overstaing his 2010 class a little bit he's a proven winner from a line of proven winers.  UVA is a tough place to coach.  Sure his style isn't suited to the playground but it is a system that will likely work with the types of players he will need to recruit there.  The low blw on the academics of the present STJ team was, however uncalled for.

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »
Seriously.  While you're overstaing his 2010 class a little bit he's a proven winner from a line of proven winers.  UVA is a tough place to coach.  Sure his style isn't suited to the playground but it is a system that will likely work with the types of players he will need to recruit there.  The low blw on the academics of the present STJ team was, however uncalled for.
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1011203
Last week, UVA was tenth. Adrian Payne going to East Lansing knocked them down to eleventh in the country, per Meyer. Sorry for the gross overstatement. ;)

If they find Rob Thomas story to be a negative one, they shouldn't promote his appearance on OTL. At the STJ version of daylight madness, they proudly announced his appearance on OTL in his player introduction (as though it were comparable to a basketball accomplishment), which must've been approved by someone either on the basketball staff or on Monasch's tanning crew.

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 11:45:21 PM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1011203
Last week, UVA was tenth. Adrian Payne going to East Lansing knocked them down to eleventh in the country, per Meyer. Sorry for the gross overstatement. ;)

If they find Rob Thomas story to be a negative one, they shouldn't promote his appearance on OTL. At the STJ version of daylight madness, they proudly announced his appearance on OTL in his player introduction (as though it were comparable to a basketball accomplishment), which must've been approved by someone either on the basketball staff or on Monasch's tanning crew.

Right now their class is ranked highly because he's already signed 5 players.  Still 5th in ACC and as players sign he's going to need more than 1 top 50 player to keep his ranking.

Re Poison do you feel STJ did the wrong thing in admitting him?  Sounded to me like you were talking about the whole team.  Sorry for misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:46:13 PM by yankcranker »

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 01:11:44 AM »
Right now their class is ranked highly because he's already signed 5 players.  Still 5th in ACC and as players sign he's going to need more than 1 top 50 player to keep his ranking.

Re Poison do you feel STJ did the wrong thing in admitting him?  Sounded to me like you were talking about the whole team.  Sorry for misunderstanding.
I'm really not a big fan of Meyer's, but I happened to see his team rankings today. I think Telep, who has UVA's class as #12 and puts more value (correctly) into quality over quantity, has Johnson, a quality big man who opened eyes at LJSA, and Harrell as borderline top 50 players and Will Regan is another solid big man. The ACC is having a great year recruiting and it will only be enhanced on Friday. You're absolutely right that UVA has roughly the fifth best class in the twelve team league, however, but I think that points to the strength of the conference and should be viewed in context. If UVA hypothetically joined the Big East or the Pac-10, it'd be the second best class in the respective conference.