Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies

Poison

Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2008, 03:34:18 PM »
Honestly, if I was a high school All American, i would be on my way to Europe.  College is fun, but when your family is in a tough financial situation like a lot of these guys' families are, it's very hard to turn down the money.

I am not sure if I agree or disagree.

If you family is in a tough financial situation... chances are that they have been dealing with it for your whole life (18-19 years). Therefore, what is another 4 years while you get your education (for free)???

If your as good as everyone thinks you are... then in 4 years you will be educated and rich. Rather than uneducated and rich.... which will most uneducated kids just blow the money on cars, jewerly, etc.

On the other hand, he can always go back to school and pay for it himself if he takes the check now. But I only can name a few players who have done this.

And what if the kid blows his knee out? Waht if a family member of the kid, god forbid, is hurt or killed while still living in a rough neighborhood when the kid could've taken the money and gotten his family out of the situation?  Very easy to downplay this stuff when people haven't walked a mile in those shoes.

I can understand that. Maybe the NBA can institute a policy that if the kid signs and takes a check... a lot of the money (something like 50%) is put into some type of deferred compensation plan. This way the kid cannot touch all of the money upfront and possibly blow it on unnecessary things.

For instance, if the kid makes 3 million in his first year, take 1.5 million and put it in a deferred compensation plan or some other type of plan that has a 5 to 10 year vesting schedule. The plan can have some kind of provision that if he is buying a house, he can take the proceeds. If not, he cant touch it. The other 1.5, he can take upfront to help his family out immediately.

I think this would help out kids who are too immature to manage such a huge amount of cash themselves... until they have grown up a bit.

the only thing the nba wants to institute is what is in their OWN best interests.

« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2008, 09:10:21 AM »
in today's Daily News:

Lincoln High School hoops phenom Lance Stephenson charged with school grope
BY DORIAN BLOCK
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Sunday, October 19th 2008, 1:25 AM

Noonan for News
Lance Stephenson
A highly recruited high school hoops star from Brooklyn was arrested earlier this month for sexually abusing a 17-year-old girl inside the school, police said.
Lance Stephenson, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound guard from Abraham Lincoln High School, the former school of NBA players Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair, has been charged with a Class B misdemeanor.

the article goes on...

kob24

« Reply #222 on: October 19, 2008, 10:17:56 AM »
oh boy here we go

« Reply #223 on: October 19, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2008/10/18/2008-10-18_lincoln_high_school_hoops_phenom_lance_s.html

I'm not doubting the possibilities of it occouring but these are always terrible cases because its all about he said she said. Usually people go with what she said.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »
im gonna wait to pass judgment until i hear the whole story but these young kids in the spotlight need to remember they have no shot at messing up and not having someone notice...they really need to be at another level in terms of maturity than the normal 17 yr old...now he may or may not have done this, or if he did do it, it may be in such a context that its just blown out of proportion, but the thing he needs to learn is that you can not put yourself in a position where something like this can happen...maybe its a blessing in disguise...maybe the bigger schools will back off now...they prob wont...i imagine somewhere down the line whoever picked him up would say hes just a kid, he learned a lesson, he deserves a shot...but press like this is not good for the school that eventually gets him

Poison

« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2008, 12:12:15 PM »
this is very disappointing news. where there is smoke, there is fire.
he may not have grady'd the girl, but he sounds like a thug to me.

not the kind of person that norm is going to bring in here, or even be allowed to bring in here.
It never ceases to amaze me how kids with talent like that can have clue how to carry themselves.

sjd8886

« Reply #226 on: October 19, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »

not the kind of person that norm is going to bring in here, or even be allowed to bring in here.
It never ceases to amaze me how kids with talent like that can have clue how to carry themselves.

you're entitled to your opinion but maybe you havent noticed we are ranked nearly last to last in the league by everyone...if he wants to come here, you still dont want him here???

« Reply #227 on: October 19, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »
the kid grabbed a girls ass...not smart...but lets not make him out to be a rapist.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sjd8886

« Reply #228 on: October 19, 2008, 12:24:09 PM »
the kid grabbed a girls ass...not smart...but lets not make him out to be a rapist.

well we dont really know exactly what happened...thats why we shouldnt over analyze yet...im sure all you guys know how things that happen can get portrayed...the girl is gonna blow it outta proportion, then the media, most likely followed by 50% of the posters on this site

« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2008, 12:28:58 PM »

If grabbing girls asses is wrong that I dont wanna be right

kob24

« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2008, 12:39:12 PM »
then I am a thug and rapist because I was grabbing ass and looking up skirts since kindergarden.

Poison

« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »

you're entitled to your opinion but maybe you havent noticed we are ranked nearly last to last in the league by everyone...if he wants to come here, you still dont want him here???

I'm not sure. SJU needs to know more about this before they make a decision on him.
Kansas, Memphis and USC don't care who they take. We need to care right now.

Uconn wins with criminals. Do we want to do it the same way?
Maybe we do. I really don't know anymore. It seems nearly impossible to compete with teams like that
if we take this moral high road so seriously regarding every recruit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:39:59 PM by Poison »

sjd8886

« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2008, 12:48:41 PM »

I'm not sure. SJU needs to know more about this before they make a decision on him.

Maybe we do. I really don't know anymore. It seems nearly impossible to compete with teams like that

thats what i'm saying...we are building a basketball team, not a church choir...if the kid can come here and control himself, idc what he did in hs

« Reply #233 on: October 19, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
... but these young kids in the spotlight need to remember they have no shot at messing up and not having someone notice...they really need to be at another level in terms of maturity than the normal 17 yr old...now he may or may not have done this, or if he did do it, it may be in such a context that its just blown out of proportion, but the thing he needs to learn is that you can not put yourself in a position where something like this can happen...

Excellent post. Right or wrong, because of their talent and ability, these kids are held to a different standard that the rest of their class. They can never allow themselves to be put in a position like this. He's young and hopefully he will learn from this. I hear he's got a great family support system, and I hope his folks will help him to understand how to avoid these situations in the future.

It sucks, but it's part of the package when you have talent like him and want to play on the world biggest stage. It's almost like having a target on his back.

Poison

« Reply #234 on: October 19, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
... but these young kids in the spotlight need to remember they have no shot at messing up and not having someone notice...they really need to be at another level in terms of maturity than the normal 17 yr old...now he may or may not have done this, or if he did do it, it may be in such a context that its just blown out of proportion, but the thing he needs to learn is that you can not put yourself in a position where something like this can happen...

Excellent post. Right or wrong, because of their talent and ability, these kids are held to a different standard that the rest of their class. They can never allow themselves to be put in a position like this. He's young and hopefully he will learn from this. I hear he's got a great family support system, and I hope his folks will help him to understand how to avoid these situations in the future.

It sucks, but it's part of the package when you have talent like him and want to play on the world biggest stage. It's almost like having a target on his back.

thats what i'm saying...we are building a basketball team, not a church choir...if the kid can come here and control himself, idc what he did in hs

The
then I am a thug and rapist because I was grabbing ass and looking up skirts since kindergarden.

If it was a joke, why they did they arrest him?

kob24

« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »
I didn't say it was a joke I just said I would jvae been locked up also with my fast self

« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
Well if some guy grabbed your daughters' ass i'm sure you would be fine with that, it's all a joke.

« Reply #237 on: October 19, 2008, 09:23:41 PM »
I'll bring up a case here. At my job recently a female decided to give out invitations to all the females on staff to come to her house for this party. You know how women have pocketbook, candle, etc. parties to sell things. Well hers was a sex toy party.

So it was an office joke for a while and the party went on and I don't think anyone attended. So the next week I asked her how the "sex party" was.

She went to my boss and complained that I sexually harassed her.

There was a big to do and I got questioned about everything I said to her and I was really taken back by everything because I felt I did nothing wrong. I didn't go into any further detail about anything and our conversation was very brief and friendly. I said I apologized if asking her was inappropriate.

So I was pretty upset my character was being called into question especially by this person who I wouldn't exactly call a classy woman. She started saying I said more and more stuff about her and to her and I started getting scared because how do I defend myself in this situation?

So for some reason I checked her facebook and actually caught her writing on someone else's wall(page) about making all this stuff up about me because she simply didn't like me since I got a promotion. I printed it out and delivered to my boss and that was the end of things. I don't talk to the female anymore or even around her. In fact no one at work has talked to her so it kind of sucks for her.

I also looked up some legality on things because of slander and defamation but according to some workers union there is no retaliation for acquisitions of sexual harassment because they don't want to discourage people from coming forward. Its pretty bogus in my opinion.

So lets reserve judgement. I don't condone unwanted advances by touching/groping but perhaps it wasn't unwanted. Its like a girl who says don't look at my breasts but has a low cut shirt on with glitter all over her boobs. Its not fair.

sjd8886

« Reply #238 on: October 19, 2008, 11:46:04 PM »
thats bs JJ, glad you caught her...and it is unfortunate that the girls word always goes, no matter who they are or who they are accusing

« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2008, 11:54:05 PM »
thats bs JJ, glad you caught her...and it is unfortunate that the girls word always goes, no matter who they are or who they are accusing

Yea it was terrible for about a day but I got lucky and had proof she was lying. Most times this isn't the case and who knows what happened. Like I said before I'm not condoning the behavior but who knows what the case is. Remember he is still a kid and has a lot of future ahead of him.