Dwight Hardy

• 59 replies
Re: Dwight Hardy
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »
We need a go to guy.
He [Hardy] seems like the best option.
When Mase returns we'll have Hardy, Mase and DJ not necessarily in that order.
That combination would give the opposition something to think about and just might make us the talk of the town again.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »
DJ, in fact, is best served as a second option.  He's a statsheet filler - a guy who will get you those rebounds you didn't think your team would get, who finds himself open and makes the play of the game. 

I bet you Hardy will be out there more. 

But when you all talk about Hardy, you have to consider defense.  I love a scorer too, but I watch Hardy and he's not the defender that Paris is.  he's just not.  If you've been watching, you know that.  He's not terrible, but still.

And I think it would have been a damned mistake for St. John's to think they were going to outscore Cornell without defending.  Did you see their shooting percentages?  The loss was a damned failure on defense, that's what.  It's not the lack of playing time for one guy.  It's the failure in the post (which is troubling) and the failure on the outside, even though the team wasn't really doubling anyone.  Jaques got shots so open he could have stopped to check email on his phone and take a bite of a sandwich.

Good God man! Are you really still eating the $hit Norm shovels? For six years now this team has been putting up HS scores and whenever a player comes along who can actually score the ball he does not play them enough. If Hardy would have played more especially when he was scorching hot we probably would have won the game!
EVER coach in America would have played Hardy more tham the 19 minutes he played last game!
Good God, man, $hit eating?  What goes on in your neighborhood?! Put the coffee down, and try a different opinion on for size instead of WAAAAH WAAAH THEY DIDN'T PLAY MY MAN CRUSH.  A piece of advice: when you meet Larry and Dwight, before you salivate on them, start by saying "no homo, but I really like you."

Anyway. Look at a) the numbers from the game b) what this team actually is and c) Steve Donahue's post game comments.

a) Cornell shot a lot of open 3-pointers.  Their center also went off on St. John's.  That's a problem.  He's not that talented, but our guys couldn't pay attention enough to keep him out of the paint.

b) The great mistake this team gets into at times is thinking they've gone from a team that can't score at all to a team that should be taking outside jumpers.  Yet this same team went 0-14 against FORDHAM.  5-18 against BROWN.  10-28 against LIU (not a bad percentage, but too many outside shots).  Against garbage opponents you can't just stand back and take poor jumpers.  It's nice to be able to hit those shots but they have to get to the basket. Hitting 32% after 11 games means it's time to try a different idea.

c) the Cornell coach openly said that even though they were down at the half, they knew they had St. John's playing their game.  This is a recurring problem for Norm's teams - I think they don't try to impose their game plan on other teams, they try to respond to the other team.  Maybe it would have been different if Coker didn't go for the pump fakes of a guy who can't jump over a hardcover book, I don't know.  But if St. John's had won, that would have been a gift; and they have to address the serious defensive failures that went on in that game!

I hear Norm's serving $hit and pickles, gotta go get me some!  I hear Dwight and Larry like sugar cookies, bake them some with some TLC, ok?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »
I should add that in no way do I think Norm should have taken out Hardy in the first half.  And he needed to play more because he was hitting.  But the problems in the game go much deeper than Hardy.  Playing like that will mean a loss against Providence.  And they suck. 

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 11:27:49 AM »
DJ, in fact, is best served as a second option.  He's a statsheet filler - a guy who will get you those rebounds you didn't think your team would get, who finds himself open and makes the play of the game. 

I bet you Hardy will be out there more. 

But when you all talk about Hardy, you have to consider defense.  I love a scorer too, but I watch Hardy and he's not the defender that Paris is.  he's just not.  If you've been watching, you know that.  He's not terrible, but still.

And I think it would have been a damned mistake for St. John's to think they were going to outscore Cornell without defending.  Did you see their shooting percentages?  The loss was a damned failure on defense, that's what.  It's not the lack of playing time for one guy.  It's the failure in the post (which is troubling) and the failure on the outside, even though the team wasn't really doubling anyone.  Jaques got shots so open he could have stopped to check email on his phone and take a bite of a sandwich.

Good God man! Are you really still eating the $hit Norm shovels? For six years now this team has been putting up HS scores and whenever a player comes along who can actually score the ball he does not play them enough. If Hardy would have played more especially when he was scorching hot we probably would have won the game!
EVER coach in America would have played Hardy more tham the 19 minutes he played last game!
Good God, man, $hit eating?  What goes on in your neighborhood?! Put the coffee down, and try a different opinion on for size instead of WAAAAH WAAAH THEY DIDN'T PLAY MY MAN CRUSH.  A piece of advice: when you meet Larry and Dwight, before you salivate on them, start by saying "no homo, but I really like you."

Anyway. Look at a) the numbers from the game b) what this team actually is and c) Steve Donahue's post game comments.

a) Cornell shot a lot of open 3-pointers.  Their center also went off on St. John's.  That's a problem.  He's not that talented, but our guys couldn't pay attention enough to keep him out of the paint.

b) The great mistake this team gets into at times is thinking they've gone from a team that can't score at all to a team that should be taking outside jumpers.  Yet this same team went 0-14 against FORDHAM.  5-18 against BROWN.  10-28 against LIU (not a bad percentage, but too many outside shots).  Against garbage opponents you can't just stand back and take poor jumpers.  It's nice to be able to hit those shots but they have to get to the basket. Hitting 32% after 11 games means it's time to try a different idea.

c) the Cornell coach openly said that even though they were down at the half, they knew they had St. John's playing their game.  This is a recurring problem for Norm's teams - I think they don't try to impose their game plan on other teams, they try to respond to the other team.  Maybe it would have been different if Coker didn't go for the pump fakes of a guy who can't jump over a hardcover book, I don't know.  But if St. John's had won, that would have been a gift; and they have to address the serious defensive failures that went on in that game!

I hear Norm's serving $hit and pickles, gotta go get me some!  I hear Dwight and Larry like sugar cookies, bake them some with some TLC, ok?

First of all Cornell scored 71 points! They did not put 80 on us. I knew that they would give us a problem after watching the Davidson game! I predicted a Cornell win and was pretty close on the score. ST John's under Norm has always played hard and played defense. They don't always play smart D though. Even good defenders get tired chasing teams that move the ball. Which is why we are easy to defend since no one moves. Teams that play like Cornell have always given more athletic teams a problem.

IMPOSE OUR GAME PLAN??????? Um...... what game plan is that? Play hard, stand around on offense and hope DJ makes a play for himself or others?

Yes, believe me I KNOW this team can't shoot! Hardy can though! His threes were fine! Boothe's threes were the Fool's Gold and to some extent so where Horne's! 

I liked Wright and Now Hardy for one simple reason. I am trying real hard to remain a fan of this program. For 6 long years I have watched some of the worst offense and shooters I have ever seen! So when a guy with a pretty jumper or a guy who is somewhat exciting and can make a shot comes along I focus on that person. Think of it as being in a bar with all guys, when some halfway decent girl walks in. That girl after a couple beers starts looking like Jessica Alba. That is the extent of my Hardy/Wright fascination. After watching the Roseanne Barr offense of the Geno's and Mason's for six years Wright and Hardy look like Alba!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:29:48 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 11:59:22 AM »
Hardy can create offense. Wright couldn't. Different level
of talent.

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
Hardy can create offense. Wright couldn't. Different level
of talent.

Not sure Norm agrees with you. He is averaging 22 minutes a game.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 12:19:04 PM »
WASJU, I'll agree with you about the motion on St. John's and opponents' offenses; and the overplaying is ridiculous.  Cornell only scored 71 points, but there were only 58 possessions, which is extremely low.  They only took 42 shots... 71 points on 42 shots?!  next best ratio this year is Duke, who scored 80 points on 65 shots.

The Cornell game was the team's worst defensive performance all year, and that's saying something after Brown had a chance to win, and after Duke. 

Also, tied for the lowest number of free throws taken by the St. John's offense with Georgia.

I think we can both agree - the team sucked on Monday.  And I don't know what our game plan would be if we had a single game plan (again, a serious beef I've had with these teams).

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 02:04:39 AM »
The unavoidable question is how can DH play only 8 minutes in the second half after scoring 14 points in the first half?

Norm Roberts Alex. I would now like to finish off Coaches With No Feel for the Game for $500 please.
;D ;D ;D

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 05:05:08 AM »
I love Hardy as much as anyone, but the kid played some flat-out ATROCIOUS defense against Cornell.  I would actually be shocked if he didn't allow more than 19 pts in his 19 mins. 

Defensively, this team needs Mase so bad it's not funny.  DJ's my guy on this team, but his defense was embarrassing against Cornell.  Other than Boothe and Paris, everyone else was a joke on the defensive side of the ball and the really need to man up.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »
yeah, defense is fine and dandy. but you cant focus solely on defense. so what if dwight is a defensive liability. i'd rather give up a few easy baskets in exchange for having hardy in to help prevent the 5 minute stretches where we dont score.

gonzalo

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »
Hardy played team-high 27 minutes yesterday.

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 02:10:45 PM »
Hardy played team-high 27 minutes yesterday.

A 5 on 1 scrimmage against Kobe Bryant is hardly a barometer of his minutes!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
I love Hardy as much as anyone, but the kid played some flat-out ATROCIOUS defense against Cornell.  I would actually be shocked if he didn't allow more than 19 pts in his 19 mins. 

Defensively, this team needs Mase so bad it's not funny.  DJ's my guy on this team, but his defense was embarrassing against Cornell.  Other than Boothe and Paris, everyone else was a joke on the defensive side of the ball and the really need to man up.
I thought he's been worse on D before.  Some examples of DJ and Hardy's defensive lapses? 

I don't think he's the worst I've seen - he's not indifferent - but if you watch closely, you can see what Horne and Boothe would do better (even if Boothe plays his man too closely and isn't getting the steals to offset the fouls).

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 02:14:11 AM »

I thought he's been worse on D before.  Some examples of DJ and Hardy's defensive lapses? 

I don't think he's the worst I've seen - he's not indifferent - but if you watch closely, you can see what Horne and Boothe would do better (even if Boothe plays his man too closely and isn't getting the steals to offset the fouls).

It's difficult to bring up specific moments, but I do remember Hardy and his man trading three's at least twice consecutively. 

As for DJ, he just looked lost.  Truth be told, he has been only average defensively all year.  He got baked by a backdoor and then had his head on a swivel for what seemed like the last ten minutes of the game.  His closeouts seemed to be just a formality and not a real effort to defend or at least affect the shots. 

pmg911

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 12:19:52 PM »

When Mase returns we'll have Hardy, Mase and DJ not necessarily in that order.
That combination would give the opposition something to think about and just might make us the talk of the town again.

Two things can make St. John's the talk of the twon again:

A. a decent run in the NCAA Tournament
B. a new coach

Which do you think is most likely..?

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 12:30:40 PM »
A NCAA run cause Norm is not going anywhere

pmg911

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »

You think Norm comes back no matter what next season..?

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »

I do. WHat makes you think theyll get rid of him now? If they were to fire him, they would have done it already. How many years in a row are you guys gonna post this crap?

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »
.500 in the BE is likely and should result in at least an NIT bid.  That secures Norm's return.  A disastrous out of conference record might have put his job in jeopardy but he has already overcome that hurdle.

pmg911

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »

I do. WHat makes you think theyll get rid of him now? If they were to fire him, they would have done it already. How many years in a row are you guys gonna post this crap?

I asked a question I didn't make a statement.