NIT-ology

• 64 replies
Re: NIT-ology
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 03:19:58 PM »
That team had two NBA players, Bootsy Thornton, and a 6 6" center who was Mr Basketball in NY his senior year in HS. It wasn't exactly a Hoosiers scenario.

I agree that he inherited a lot of talent, but he was far from the worst coach in the league. At least we were relevant when he was here.

His personality was off putting, and local recruits wanted nothing to do with him. That was his biggest problem.

You're getting off-topic.  The point was, Jarvis' team in 02-03 with Hatten was awful and a run to the NIT title saved his job.  Fr. Harrington allowed the NIT run to persuade him to keep Jarvae another year, then had to fire him mid-season, and then all hell broke loose.

If he's inclined to fire Norm, I would think he wouldn't let a NIT run dissuade him from doing so.  Harrington knows as well as anyone that the Pitt scandal didn't happen under Jarvis' watch, though I am sure he loves Norm way more than the Jarvae.

Those were Jarvis' recruits and thugs
[/quote]

Boy's will be boy's.

Play along with me...
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 11:00:15 AM »
For entertainment purposes... Play along with me.

Regardless of how inconsistent St. John's has played... we have a decent shot at beating Depaul. That would put us at 16-14 and 6-12 before BE conference play and either the 13th or 14th seed. However, I am going to assume 14th seed for now.

This will most likey put us against Seton Hall or UConn. I know we lost to both teams this year... but I think both are beatable. Assuming we win this game, we would most likely get either Marquette or Louisville. Louisville we beat and Marquette we should have/almost did.

Now lets assume we win either one of these and lose the next round. That would end our season at 18-16. With this record, do you think we have a shot at the NIT?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 11:01:14 AM by Johnny4Life »

kjd01067

Re: Play along with me...
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »
Don't worry about the NIT because we don't have a chance.  Maybe you can think up a couple scenarios for the CBI.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 11:10:19 AM »
Not unless the NCAA takes 9 teams from the Big East.  There are teams with stronger wins and resumes (ND, U Conn, Cincy, Seton Hall, South Florida).  If you think the NIT's taking 6 Big East teams, with the mediocrity in the SEC and Pac-10 and A-10... it's not gonna happen.

sjd8886

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
would this school accept two straight invites to the CBI...thats pretty embarrassing

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »
would this school accept two straight invites to the CBI...thats pretty embarrassing

I honestly don't think so.  I really believe we lose at least one of the remaining two games--if not both--and then lose either the first round (most likely) or for sure in the second round.  I don't think this team is capable of beating Uconn, SH, or Marquette no matter how close the regular season games were.

Last year the CBI was (barely) acceptable by the administration because they knew they were retaining Norm and we had a 16-win young team, that could have plausibly made a four game jump to the NCAA's. The experience there would have really helped. 

I am almost positive that Norm gets fired within 48 hours of the BET and any invite to the CBI will be declined.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
http://nitology.com/

http://nitology.com/bracket030210.html

Has St JOhns "solidly" in the NIT. 1st round matchup with Memphis

IONA gets UConn

Poison

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 01:22:39 PM »
That team had two NBA players, Bootsy Thornton, and a 6 6" center who was Mr Basketball in NY his senior year in HS. It wasn't exactly a Hoosiers scenario.

I agree that he inherited a lot of talent, but he was far from the worst coach in the league. At least we were relevant when he was here.

His personality was off putting, and local recruits wanted nothing to do with him. That was his biggest problem.

You're getting off-topic.  The point was, Jarvis' team in 02-03 with Hatten was awful and a run to the NIT title saved his job.  Fr. Harrington allowed the NIT run to persuade him to keep Jarvae another year, then had to fire him mid-season, and then all hell broke loose.

If he's inclined to fire Norm, I would think he wouldn't let a NIT run dissuade him from doing so.  Harrington knows as well as anyone that the Pitt scandal didn't happen under Jarvis' watch, though I am sure he loves Norm way more than the Jarvae.

Those were Jarvis' recruits and thugs
[/quote]

No Baldi, awful is what we are at this very moment.

A team that took out Georgetown 3 times in one season, Duke, Notre Dame and won over 20 games isn't awful. Why bring up the run, and not give it credit? They won 10 straight, and honeslty, they were 2 wins away from a bid.

It wasn't what we hoped for, but it wasn't pathetic. Pathetic is tonight. You shouldn't even watch.

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 02:51:26 PM »
Talking about the NIT at this point is pointless. We have to wait to see how some conference tourny's shake out, because the # of at-large bids into the NIT is affected by how many regular season conf. champions DONT win their conference tournaments.  I believe the NIT took 3 Big East teams last year.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »
Also, I do NOT think we will beat UConn if we play them in the Big East Tourny.  They're still likely going to be on the bubble and will need that win to get into the Big Dance.  That won't be a let down game for them.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »
i dont see how we have a shot to get into the nit when we wouldnt be in the bet had they not given charity invites to the dregs of the league starting last year

Poison

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »

Embarrassing is what St.John's all about.

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 12:09:46 AM »
I am almost positive that Norm gets fired within 48 hours of the BET and any invite to the CBI will be declined.
from your lips to harrington's ears.....i hope.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »
http://bracketproject.50webs.com/nit.html

This site, like the NIT-ology, has St. John's in the NIT.  I *think* that's impossible... but is it?  The team does have good wins over Louisville, Temple, and Siena; and I think both sites forget some Pac-10 teams... but if you look around, a lot of sub-.500 major conference teams out there... the Red Storm could go to that substandard dance.

Food for thought.

sjd8886

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 01:10:42 AM »
whether we go to NIT or not, it doesnt matter...to sum up our chances of making a run in the NIT think about this...we just got into a 3 overtime battle with the joke, or should i say, the other joke, team in the conference...good chance if we go to NIT we dont make it out of the first round of that either

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 08:13:05 AM »
The worry is not that the team makes a run in the NIT; it's that making the NIT affects the decision-making process and the timing of the decision.

I suppose there is the possibility that the "second season" will bring out a more effective and confident St. John's team that will make a run of some sort.  But watching them play without Hardy... they'd have to execute much better to win any games.

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 10:41:06 AM »
I think we need to beat Uconn to have any chance of getting into the NIT.

boo3

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »
 2 games minimum i think.  I'd be shocked if that happened.

Tha Kid

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »

First, I don't think we make it.  Second, who cares...its a loser's tournament.
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 11:00:56 AM »

First, I don't think we make it.  Second, who cares...its a loser's tournament.

True, but it would be progress.   ;)   (tongue firmly planted in cheek)