Pecora at the next level?

• 47 replies
Pecora at the next level?
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:11:35 AM »
I only posted this here due to the large amount of times that we have heard his name tossed into the ring for the next coach at SJU.

http://www.newsday.com/columnists/other-columnists/playing-in-caa-has-hurt-hofstra-hoops-1.1787905

Playing in CAA has hurt Hofstra hoops
March 1, 2010 by STEVE MARCUS
steve.marcus@newsday.com

Stony Brook University making the NCAA Tournament but not Hofstra? For years, that seemed impossible in men's basketball. Now, it is plausible. And it is because of the conferences and venues.

This is a haunting time of the year for Hofstra. It is approaching the Colonial Athletic Association Tournament and the very unfriendly confines of Richmond Coliseum, where good winning seasons always end in southern discomfort.

For Hofstra, it is a reminder of a decision made by a previous administration in 2001 that negatively impacts the basketball team to this day: Hofstra removed itself from the America East Conference - along with Delaware, Drexel and Towson - with the thought of helping its football team gain conference affiliation and also for the promise of a higher basketball profile and multiple NCAA bids from the CAA. But no former America East school has won the CAA Tournament.

Will this year be any different? Hofstra will play its first game in the tournament against Georgia State on Friday on a supposedly neutral court. But whatever fan base shows up will root for the underdog Panthers, a 10th seed. A Hofstra victory only ups the eventual hometown ante and the likelihood of eventually facing the cream of the CAA in Old Dominion or Virginia Commonwealth.

The southern feel of the venue is inescapable and Hofstra, with teams much stronger than this edition, has been unable to conquer the atmosphere that undoubtedly favors the opponent.

Hofstra (18-13) has won at least 20 games four times since leaving the America East and has no NCAA bids to show for it. Each of those seasons ended with a loss in Richmond.

Stony Brook, a favorite for the first time in the America East, has a much more neutral road to qualify for the Big Dance. It will play its first tournament game Saturday against Albany in Hartford's Chase Arena. You can be sure Stony Brook will arrange for a ferryload of fans. It wouldn't be surprising to see Stony Brook's marching band invade the arena.

Hometown Hartford doesn't figure to get past Maine in its first game. No local rooting interest exists after that. Win twice in Hartford and Stony Brook, as the regular-season champion, is entitled to be at home for the tournament championship game. Even at hastily prepared Stony Brook Arena, the atmosphere will help ensure a Stony Brook victory, just as it did for Hofstra in 2000 and 2001.

And if Stony Brook doesn't make it to the NCAA Tournament, it is already assured of an NIT bid. Hofstra is not. It will have to look toward the obscure College Basketball Invitational.

Why is Hofstra on this treadmill and why does it stay in the CAA? The decision to leave America East was largely based on football, which it has dropped starting next season.

At the time of its decision, Hofstra had no conference for its football team and the CAA offered inclusion in what was then called the Atlantic 10. Even with the abolishment of football, Hofstra would gladly move all of its programs into the A-10, if invited. (University president Stuart Rabinowitz implied as much to WFAN's Mike Francesa during an interview in December about dropping football.) But there are no openings - and little interest by A-10 members.

This means that one good winning season after another ends in predictable fashion - a loss in the CAA Tournament in Richmond.

At some point, maybe even this season, Hofstra basketball coach Tom Pecora will throw up his hands and look elsewhere. He turned down Seton Hall in the past. Will he do the same if, for instance, Fordham calls? That would get him into the A-10, albeit with a bottom feeder.

The solution available to Hofstra - and one it should consider - is to go back to America East. It refuses to seek détente with Stony Brook, which Hofstra has dropped from its men's basketball schedule, and also believes backpedaling would hurt its image. But it would create a great local rivalry and enable both to shoot for college basketball's ultimate prize.

Re: Pecora at the next level?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:13:09 AM »
I have been a Hofstra season ticket holder for years, and have met Tom Pecora on several occasions and think he is a good guy and a “competent” coach, but was surprised at this reporter's comments that I highlighted late in the article.

For those Redstorm fans who think Pecora is the answer if and when Norm leaves, doesn’t this make you wonder just a little bit?

This guy is saying that Pecora can’t win the in the CAA, in that case what the HELL is he going to do in the Big East???

sjd8886

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:23:50 AM »
i am a fordham alum and while i never got into basketball during my time there, due in large part to already being a st johns fan, i would love to see pecora there...everyone loves grasso bc he can recruit and hes nice and hard working, and i think in time maybe he can resurrect the program, but if u have a shot at a guy like pecora and u can retain grasso as an assistant and recruiter, idt fordham could ask for a better deal than that

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:42:44 AM »
He must have a hell of a PR rep.
It seems like an annual article about him using that tournament being played in Virginia as his excuse for not making the 65 team NCAA tournament.

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 02:03:08 AM »
I always enjoy redstormshoops disclaimers on his posts so I don't move them :)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:21:29 AM »

Norm couldn't win anywhere.  Pecora would be an upgrade...just not as big of one as we need.
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
It seems like an annual article about him using that tournament being played in Virginia as his excuse for not making the 65 team NCAA tournament.
Exactly what I was going to say.  It's like damned clockwork.  Every single damned year.

And Pecora's not that good of a coach at all. His teams also struggle to score and his best years coincided with having Agudio + Stokes.  Other than that, he's been middle of the pack in an ok conference...

Maybe he should take the Fordham job like someone rumored.  Better geographical fit.  Or go back to the America East and make the tournament in a league more commensurate with his abilities.

We should hire Pecora's PR guy, though.  It's amazing.  Even better than Norm's PR guys.

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 07:48:11 AM »
I have been a Hofstra season ticket holder for years, and have met Tom Pecora on several occasions and think he is a good guy and a “competent” coach, but was surprised at this reporter's comments that I highlighted late in the article.

For those Redstorm fans who think Pecora is the answer if and when Norm leaves, doesn’t this make you wonder just a little bit?

This guy is saying that Pecora can’t win the in the CAA, in that case what the HELL is he going to do in the Big East???

Despite all of his behind the scene campaigning, he will never get the job here, if it even opens up.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 07:51:22 AM »

Despite all of his behind the scene campaigning, he will never get the job here, if it even opens up.

Good scoop pmg, keep it comin

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:21:42 AM »

[/quote]

Did Jay Wright win the weaker America East every season before leaving for Villanova? I love Pecora's style, and I think he's a great coach.

That said, I think he evaluates talent pretty well, and he'll find a Jamine Peterson for us. He'll find a Loren Stokes. The fact that he's recruited players to Hofstra that would start in the BE is an accomplishment.

Over the last 6 years, who has recruited more guys that would start on a BE roster? Norm or Tom?

As far as turning down Seton Hall, I wouldn't want to work in New Jersey. I don't blame him one bit. Those nice persons fired a coach that took them to the NCAA.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 08:26:10 AM »

Did Jay Wright win the weaker America East every season before leaving for Villanova? I love Pecora's style, and I think he's a great coach.

That said, I think he evaluates talent pretty well, and he'll find a Jamine Peterson for us. He'll find a Loren Stokes. The fact that he's recruited players to Hofstra that would start in the BE is an accomplishment.

Over the last 6 years, who has recruited more guys that would start on a BE roster? Norm or Tom?

As far as turning down Seton Hall, I wouldn't want to work in New Jersey. I don't blame him one bit. Those nice persons fired a coach that took them to the NCAA.
[/quote]

So if he has players at Hofstra that could start on a Big East roster, how come hes not winning anything in the CAA?

Poison

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »

Hofstra earned an at an large bid the year they beat a Final Four team twice in one season. They won something like 28 games that year. Be reasonable.

People are bringing up Stokes and Agudio. Well, hell, I don't remember SJU going after them because they sure could have played on my team-and started.

They could have started on a lot of BE teams. Not just ours.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
There's this fantasy that Stokes and Agudio were Big East players.  How do you know that?  Not like anyone else in the league was banging down their door.  Playing a few tough games a year (and the rest against the Delawares and Towsons) will make a dude look like a player.  But could they be effective every game in the Big East?  We don't know.

Just because they were better than, say, Cedric Jackson and Geno doesn't mean they were Big East players.

And Not-Sleeveless is being reasonable.  Unreasonable is this yearly newspaper whining about Pecora and his poor geographic location.

Which doesn't seem to hurt Northeastern in BOSTON.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »
There's this fantasy that Stokes and Agudio were Big East players.  How do you know that?  Not like anyone else in the league was banging down their door.  Playing a few tough games a year (and the rest against the Delawares and Towsons) will make a dude look like a player.  But could they be effective every game in the Big East?  We don't know.

Just because they were better than, say, Cedric Jackson and Geno doesn't mean they were Big East players.

And Not-Sleeveless is being reasonable.  Unreasonable is this yearly newspaper whining about Pecora and his poor geographic location.

Which doesn't seem to hurt Northeastern in BOSTON.

Isn't Northeastern IN Boston?

Hofstra is in Hempstead. And Hempstead is a hole. Kind of like Jamaica.

When Pecora took over for Wright there wasn't a lot of talent left.
I'm saying that Loren Stokes and Antoine Agudio were All Americans,
but I watched them play against teams that were better than us, they
more than held their own.

When they beat us in the Holiday Festival, they went through a damn
good St.Joseph's team to do it.

I agree that Hofstra doesn't have a great team this year, but a lot more
often than not, they are in it. And this year is no different despite a poor start,
they have a darn good chance to win 20 games, yet again.

The idea that players improve under Pecora impresses me. Players want to
play for him because they see how he's developed talent. He doesn't have a Charles
Jenkins at all 5 positions, but I think he'd have more if he had MSG and BE to sell.

Hofstra is a tough sell, and he's done well selling it. Imagine a kid saying "I want to play
for the best NY team" and that team, in his mind, is freaking Hofstra.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »

I'm saying that Loren Stokes and Antoine Agudio were All Americans,

often than not, they are in it. And this year is no different despite a poor start,

play for him because they see how he's developed talent. He doesn't have a Charles
Jenkins at all 5 positions, but I think he'd have more if he had MSG and BE to sell.

Hofstra is a tough sell, and he's done well selling it. Imagine a kid saying "I want to play
That's the point.  Northeastern doesn't complain about it, and the past 2 (maybe 3?) years, they've been vying for the CAA title.  Like it's basketball, not "my fans aren't coming" ball.  Pecora's whining through his news contacts is just annoying. 

I understand that Hempstead isn't all that great. Neither are lots of neighborhoods that schools are in.  Dayton, Temple - urban schools aren't always in the prettiest places. Pecora gets decent talent, but I don't think he improves them very much. Cornelius Vines has a mental problem - he shoots too much and not well enough.  Nathaniel Lester was supposed to be a star; but the numbers aren't that great. 

It's a matter of opinion, the talk of improvement - but I really don't see it.  It's masked because they play fast, but the team is really inconsistent at scoring, and they have been for 3 years.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »

I'm not saying that Loren Stokes and Antoine Agudio were All Americans,

That's the point.  Northeastern doesn't complain about it, and the past 2 (maybe 3?) years, they've been vying for the CAA title.  Like it's basketball, not "my fans aren't coming" ball.  Pecora's whining through his news contacts is just annoying. 

I understand that Hempstead isn't all that great. Neither are lots of neighborhoods that schools are in.  Dayton, Temple - urban schools aren't always in the prettiest places. Pecora gets decent talent, but I don't think he improves them very much. Cornelius Vines has a mental problem - he shoots too much and not well enough.  Nathaniel Lester was supposed to be a star; but the numbers aren't that great. 

It's a matter of opinion, the talk of improvement - but I really don't see it.  It's masked because they play fast, but the team is really inconsistent at scoring, and they have been for 3 years.

Northeastern is down the street from Fenway Park. What is there to complain about?
Hofstra is down the street from the Nassau Coliseum.

Hardly comparable.

Northeastern has an advantage because of that.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »
Northeastern is down the street from Fenway Park. What is there to complain about?

Hardly comparable.

By that logic Boston College should out recruit DoOk and UNC.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »

Hardly comparable.

Not talking about Northeastern's neighborhood.  Talking about how they, too, are in the northeast.  That is what the article is speaking about with respect to geographic location, not how nice or not nice Hempstead is.

In the article, the writer writes:

A Hofstra victory only ups the eventual hometown ante and the likelihood of eventually facing the cream of the CAA in Old Dominion or Virginia Commonwealth.

The southern feel of the venue is inescapable and Hofstra, with teams much stronger than this edition, has been unable to conquer the atmosphere that undoubtedly favors the opponent.

Hofstra (18-13) has won at least 20 games four times since leaving the America East and has no NCAA bids to show for it. Each of those seasons ended with a loss in Richmond.

Stony Brook, a favorite for the first time in the America East, has a much more neutral road to qualify for the Big Dance. It will play its first tournament game Saturday against Albany in Hartford's Chase Arena. You can be sure Stony Brook will arrange for a ferryload of fans. It wouldn't be surprising to see Stony Brook's marching band invade the arena.

This is to say that it is harder to bring fans down to Richmond, and this is a cause of discomfort and therefore, losing by Hofstra.  And yet, Northeastern has won a game in the tournament in 2007 and 2008.  This has nothing to do with the proximity to Fenway Park (and don't get all excited, Northeastern's campus isn't that nice... kind of a lifeless area during off hours, close to Roxbury, which is... not that different from Hempstead) - it has to do with the fact that they are a better team with better shooting (and possibly coaching).  Northeastern should have the same geography complaint, but they just play the game without the yearly whining. 

Poison

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 12:23:02 PM »

Hardly comparable.

By that logic Boston College should out recruit DoOk and UNC.

Um, no.

Not at all what I'm saying.

I love how you put words in my mouth.

A school with close proximity to public transportation in an upscale metropolitan city like Boston is not at a disadvantage. There are a ton of colleges in Boston that recruit athletes and students from all over the world.

How many schools are there in Long Island that claim that? 2? Maybe 3.

If Hofstra played football in Manhattan, maybe they'd still have a football program.

And for the record, Northeastern was going to the NCAA Tournament with an NBA all star while Hofstra was just getting their feet wet in D1 ball.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:39:47 PM by Poison »

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
I wouldn't want to work in New Jersey. I don't blame him one bit.

Why not, can't wait to hear this reply..?