Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - KANSAS STATE

• 378 replies
Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
The zags article also says that Jevon is transferring to Quality Education. Baldi didn't you call that one awhile back....

But is he going there for a quality education?  My sense is that the kid did not pan out to be as good as advertised.  If he were, there would be plenty more interest then he is getting... SHU is in desperation mode.

He is very good and i don't see this as a sign of desperation for the Hall.  They are covering there bases in case Kyle does not go there.  I do know that they are still in this race despite what others have posted.

« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
The zags article also says that Jevon is transferring to Quality Education. Baldi didn't you call that one awhile back....

I know I did. Baldi just loves the word 'qualitized'

Ya, I called this awhile back, but it was obvious a that time of the discussion. Moose was riding my coattails

Moose

« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »

I know I did. Baldi just loves the word 'qualitized'

Ya, I called this awhile back, but it was obvious a that time of the discussion. Moose was riding my coattails

Really?
Check this out.  Page 8 of Dom Pointer thread- http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=4657.140

I wrote- Anyone notice this quote from the article-

"I've got a really good guard from New York who I can't tell you about yet coming next year," he says. "We had to turn some down."

With Jevon and his academic issues, am I the only one to think that he might be the one?

Dave then responded with Mike Taylor?  Looks like I was right Baldi.  Give credit where its due.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2011, 10:48:59 PM »

Unlikely he ends up at SHU.  The QEA transfer communicates that.

BTW-I know SJU got a great player in Pointer but for my taste I prefer they no longer associate themselves with QEA fwiw.

« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »
I'm not going to pretend I know anything about this kid, but the more I read and see, the happier I am he de-committed. Another poster said it, he just expects this one spot on the floor to be handed to him? I don't want to insult anyone, but he sounds kind of like a flake. Whatever happened to earning your spot in the starting 5?

uwsfan

« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

IMO It would be a very good grab for Willard if he lands Thomas after Anderson commits to SJU.

hes no longer a caliber kid that is good enough to run things at SJU, with us now becoming a program that only accepts elite level talent, but for SHU he would be a great get and could be productive for them down the road.

« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
Sounds like he was killing it today at the Battle of the Boroughs.

crgreen

« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »

IMO It would be a very good grab for Willard if he lands Thomas after Anderson commits to SJU.

hes no longer a caliber kid that is good enough to run things at SJU, with us now becoming a program that only accepts elite level talent, but for SHU he would be a great get and could be productive for them down the road.

Boy, really don't like the "only accepts elite level talent" mindset that seems to be creeping in here.   That effectively eliminates Steve from finding the next Billy Knight, Ryan Hollins, Rico Hines, or even Matt Barnes.    As always excuse my UCLA references, but you've always gotta be on the lookoout for the next Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Darren Collison, Ryan Hollins or Mike Roll (in the 2006 NCAA Title game, Luc and Hollins were starters, Collison was the 6th man and Roll the 7th - 4 of the top 7 players were "non-elite talent").

Trust your coaches.   If they think Phil Greene and Darrick Wood are a potential future Big East backcourt, then bring'em on!

uwsfan

« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »

Boy, really don't like the "only accepts elite level talent" mindset that seems to be creeping in here.   That effectively eliminates Steve from finding the next Billy Knight, Ryan Hollins, Rico Hines, or even Matt Barnes.    As always excuse my UCLA references, but you've always gotta be on the lookoout for the next Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Darren Collison, Ryan Hollins or Mike Roll (in the 2006 NCAA Title game, Luc and Hollins were starters, Collison was the 6th man and Roll the 7th - 4 of the top 7 players were "non-elite talent").

Trust your coaches.   If they think Phil Greene and Darrick Wood are a potential future Big East backcourt, then bring'em on!

I see your point, but the position of point guard in particular is one i would rather see a elite talent only approach. Can see developing a talented but raw big man "project", but PG should always be elite if possible

MCNPA

« Reply #269 on: August 21, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »

Agree with cr.  Only thing I didn't like with Jevon was that he decommitted and didn't buy in.  Once you're out, you're out IMO,  I want guys on the team that are sure they want to be here.  Guys like Wood who buy in, even knowing the talent possibly in front of him on the roster. Those guys are winners.  As good as Jevon is or isn't, I don't want guys here that are not comfortable with their potential role.  It can be a chemistry killer down the line.  Very happy to have Darrick Wood instead of Jevon no matter how well he is playing. I wish him luck at a place that better suits him.

crgreen

« Reply #270 on: August 21, 2011, 02:24:38 PM »

I see your point, but the position of point guard in particular is one i would rather see a elite talent only approach. Can see developing a talented but raw big man "project", but PG should always be elite if possible

So if Steve spots his next Earl Watson, you want him to PASS????    :)

crgreen

« Reply #271 on: August 21, 2011, 02:29:24 PM »

Agree with cr.  Only thing I didn't like with Jevon was that he decommitted and didn't buy in.  Once you're out, you're out IMO,  I want guys on the team that are sure they want to be here.  Guys like Wood who buy in, even knowing the talent possibly in front of him on the roster. Those guys are winners.  As good as Jevon is or isn't, I don't want guys here that are not comfortable with their potential role.  It can be a chemistry killer down the line.  Very happy to have Darrick Wood instead of Jevon no matter how well he is playing. I wish him luck at a place that better suits him.

I'd go even one farther.  I'd much prefer a kid like Earl Watson, who Steve brought in in the same Class with the much higher ranked Baron Davis, Schea Cotton, and Billy Knight, to a team that had a returning starting SG STAR in Toby Bailey.   Earl's approach?   I don't care about rankings or seniority.  I'm starting.  Toby can move to forward.    And that's exactly what happened.   Earl started every game for 4 seasons.

« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
Like I said previously, I have no idea what kind of kid he is, but as MCNPA said in one of his previous posts, I don't want a me-type player. You can be, "oh, I'ma get mines," all you want, but if you ain't in it to win, first and foremost, and, especially at the point, to help make your team better, and if you not being the "man" is what gets your team over the hump, then you know what? Accept that, play a role on the team, and if you step up, you step up and get in the starting 5, then great. Otherwise, bust your ass if you want to be the "man" and outplay the guy in front of you. Especially, when you're playing the one.

« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »

+1000

Marillac

« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
It speaks volumes that Lavin stayed on Greene for an entire year even after his coach at IMG forbid him from making visits until the spring and evenafter Lav added Harrisson, Nuri, and even Thomas.

It is probably no coincidence that Jevon's Decommittment coincides with Greene's arrival to campus.

« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »
Thomas' de-commitment had more to do with Thomas than anyone else being here. His personality and baggage might not be the best fit and we'll leave it at that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »
Thomas' de-commitment had more to do with Thomas than anyone else being here. His personality and baggage might not be the best fit and we'll leave it at that.

Regardless of what the issue is, one could tell that he didn't have the right attitude for this team.  One could tell from his twitter threats.  Don't need guys like that who are questioning the coaches recruiting decisions a year before he steps on campus.  Don't want anything to do with him at SJU, and doubt Lavin does either after his de-commit.  I think it was telling that we offered Reinhardt a few hours after Jevon de-committed.  Good luck to him.  We need team players at SJU who buy into what the staff is doing.  Having malcontents coming in is a bad fit no matter what.

« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »
Looks like Jevon verbaled to Dayton.

Moose

« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2011, 11:37:03 AM »
Looks like Jevon verbaled to Dayton.

Wow.  Very surprising.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
Archie Miller aint no joke and neither is Dayton.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.