Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1420 on: September 08, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »
Look maybe I'm wrong. I'll fully admit that's possible, but I'm under the impression that former players count as boosters. This article about Iowa violations seems to indicate that's true.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/bigten/2010-10-31-iowa-ncaa-violations-kutcher-moore_N.htm?AID=4992781&PID=4169806&SID=bclbapja83yp

"Athletic officials acknowledge that they allowed two high school recruits to meet Kutcher, Moore and several former Hawkeye basketball players, according to records obtained by The Des Moines Register under Iowa's public records law.

NCAA rules prohibit potential high school recruits from having any contact with individuals considered to represent a university's athletic interests because of the potential influence boosters can have on the recruiting process.

The university's report to the NCAA indicates that new head basketball coach Fran McCaffery's recruits met with former Hawkeye basketball players Reggie Evans and Dean Oliver after a pick-up game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena— then met Kutcher and Moore in a suite at the football stadium later that day.

Evans, Oliver and Kutcher are considered representatives of Hawkeye athletic interests, the school has told the NCAA."

Now not sure how they'd qualify Davis, but as a former player of Lavin's you would think he'd count against them.

And here's an opinion piece about UNC and former players playing pick up with a recruit: http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2007/09/20/unc-hoops-breaks-recruiting-rules/ Now this turned out not to be a violation because the players were taking courses at UNC at the time so it was legal. Perhaps this was true of the UCLA players as well. Other wise it was a violation.

As the blog states: "Alums can inadvertently ‘bump into’ players when they happen to be on campus at the same time; but they cannot engage in activities to recruit the player to campus."

now obviously I don't know what was said between the two and maybe it didn't violate the letter of the law. But it definitely violated the spirit of the law.  It's not like Kyle was wandering around campus unattended and Baron Davis just happened to be shooting around. So while i'm sure St. John's would claim inadvertent contact, it clearly wasn't. I'm not saying this doesn't go on every where, because it does. I'm just saying it's technically a violation based on my understanding of the rules.

Edit:

I will add it must not be a violation since it's being so openly talked about. But in theory one would think that Davis is a representative of Lavin's interests, so should count. Clearly he must not since it's so well publicized.

Former player of SJU or Lavin?

You understand Baron Davis did not go to SJU.  More importantly this was checked out by SJU and there is nothing to it.

Get over it guy.

NYCoffey

« Reply #1421 on: September 08, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »
So is John Thompson Jr. a booster for Georgetown? He obviously is looking out for Georgetown interest. And what about all those players at UCLA? or how about Seton Hall having a booster section at Kyles game last night. We're all doomed.

« Reply #1422 on: September 08, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
SJU was a heavy lean for Sylvan Landesberg, but at the end of the day, it's very hard to change a program that has developed a culture of losing. Seton Hall and Rutgers may eventually get there, but they aren't there yet. ...

This is actually a very good comparison recruiting wise for Seton Hall.  Kyle Anderson is to them what Sylven Landesberg was to us. 

You've got Lavin and Mike Rice doing some bigtime recruiting while Kevin Willard hasn't been on that level.  Kyle Anderson is his chance to get a breakthrough local guy just like Sylven was Norm's shot at a breakthrough local guy.  Both would('ve) have had the responsibility of being "the guy" since there isn't much talent around them.  Very similar recruiting situation IMO.  As people have said this is a much more important recruit for SHU than it is for us, however it would sting me pretty bad if we lost him to a local rival.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #1423 on: September 08, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »
lmao this guy.

Davis has no connection to the university, and has been on campus several times(along with other NBA players) with the sole intention of working out with Rico Hines.

Nothing to see here. Stop making excuses.

NYCoffey

« Reply #1424 on: September 08, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »
http://nj.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1262241&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

not a subscriber so I haven't got to look at it. Let me know if there s anything new in here.

« Reply #1425 on: September 08, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
http://nj.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=1262241&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

not a subscriber so I haven't got to look at it. Let me know if there s anything new in here.

It was posted a couple of pages back.

« Reply #1426 on: September 08, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
So is John Thompson Jr. a booster for Georgetown? He obviously is looking out for Georgetown interest. And what about all those players at UCLA? or how about Seton Hall having a booster section at Kyles game last night. We're all doomed.

John Thompson Jr. Is still a paid employee of Georgetown it's no different then him meeting the athletic director while on campus.

Don't get your panties in a twist guys.

I admitted I must be wrong. It clearly did not violate the letter of the law. Clearly Davis has more loyalty to Lavin than UCLA. One would think former players of the current coach count as representatives of that coach even if they didn't go to the current school. Clearly they do not.

Sheesh you guys are so unnecessarily hostile.

« Reply #1427 on: September 08, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »
JT Jr a booster? Nah, he's just a wet towel  :2funny:

« Reply #1428 on: September 08, 2011, 11:39:22 AM »

John Thompson Jr. Is still a paid employee of Georgetown it's no different then him meeting the athletic director while on campus.

I admitted I must be wrong. It clearly did not violate the letter of the law. Clearly Davis has more loyalty to Lavin than UCLA. One would think former players of the current coach count as representatives of that coach even if they didn't go to the current school. Clearly they do not.

"Unnecessarily hostile?" Holy S - Why are you even on this board?"  Go to M and 33rd and talk to Doug about it...and then go get a cupcake...and then a cup of coffee at Dean and DeLuca
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:41:49 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #1429 on: September 08, 2011, 11:47:08 AM »
Hall insider saying it's down to the Hall and UCLA.  Twelve more days to go.

The SHU board will melt down if KA selects SJU.

If Anderson's goal is to make the NBA, SJU will be difficult to beat.

UM.... I hope the kid comes here obviously but SJU has as many pros as SH. ONE

It isn't about how many pros SJU has versus SHU.

It is about the coaching staffs. How many NBA players has Willard put in the NBA as a head coach versus Lavin? How many NBA players train with Rico versus someone on Willard's staff.

It is the coaching staff that helps develop a player, not the school.

« Reply #1430 on: September 08, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
Hall insider saying it's down to the Hall and UCLA.  Twelve more days to go.

The SHU board will melt down if KA selects SJU.

If Anderson's goal is to make the NBA, SJU will be difficult to beat.

UM.... I hope the kid comes here obviously but SJU has as many pros as SH. ONE

It isn't about how many pros SJU has versus SHU.

It is about the coaching staffs. How many NBA players has Willard put in the NBA as a head coach versus Lavin? How many NBA players train with Rico versus someone on Willard's staff.

It is the coaching staff that helps develop a player, not the school.

Lavin has a rep and he is doing a ridiculous job of changing the culture around here. But lets not get carried away and start acting like  we are UNC or something. The program was in the abyss for almost 10 years. With or w/o Anderson the school is in great hands. I just think it is funny how people are disparaging SH. Lavin is great, we have a great recruiting class but SH is still in our weight divisoin within the BE.

« Reply #1431 on: September 08, 2011, 12:03:30 PM »
but SH is still in our weight divisoin within the BE.

Um, no.
Not even close yo.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

NYCoffey

« Reply #1432 on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »

not really being hostile toward you, although I hate Georgetown (I guess that is hostile). More the ridiculous recruiting rules. I didn't realize how many things can be construed as a violation until this recruitment of Anderson. I think that what the Seton Hall did was what they should be doing to bring an elite player to there school. Why wouldn't you have a hall of fame coach, or NBA all star talk to the kid so that he knows exactly what the pros are. I agree in the end it will come down to coaching staffs like redmen7805 said.

The thing that is weird to me that earlier in his recruitment, Kyle made points of how he doesn't like too much attention. I believe he actually trimmed teams schools off his list that were being to aggressive. Hopefully, he just goes with his best coaching staff, and fit for him which would be St. Johns.

« Reply #1433 on: September 08, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »
jesus let the boy pick and be done with it. if he picks the johniees its will be a great look. if he doesnt lav will have a back up plan that would be alot of coaches first plan. it wont make or break sju.
Totally agree with all your points kob. Regarding recruiting violations-just an example of the ridiculous NCAA rules-a school was considered to have committed a secondary recruiting violation when the parents of a recruit texted an assistant coach of the school asking for directions and the assistant coach texted back the answer. The violation was that the assistant TEXTED! It would have been OK if he called the parents on the phone. How ridiculous!

« Reply #1434 on: September 08, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
People for the last month have been saying he had his mind made up. We were all pretty confident in it being SJU. If thats still the case than all the here say shouldnt really matter. Let the kid go through the process and pick his school.

To be completly honest, I would rather him go to seton hall than any other school on his list besides us. YES losing him to th Hall might hurt the most but I still want to see them get their ball rolling again.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1435 on: September 08, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
For all of those trippin over the Sept 20th date-what are you going to do if he changes his mind and cannot make a final decision and postpones it-maybe even to the late signing period in April-which is what his coach Bob Hurley advises all his players to do? I say we all take a chill pill and look forward to the start of this season and the tremendous 9 man recruiting class that we have all as of yet not seen play at the D1 level. Not to mention the 2 commits we already have and the knowledge it is a given that coach Lavs will continue to bring in many more high level recruits-it's all good!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:56:12 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #1436 on: September 08, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »

Um, no.
Not even close yo.

Actually you are right SH has been much better than us the last 10 years SH record is 158-146. SJU is 149-158.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:03:50 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #1437 on: September 08, 2011, 01:06:59 PM »

Um, no.
Not even close yo.

Actually you are right SH has been much better than us the last 10 years SH record is 158-146. SJU is 149-158.

This fan base is hysterical. For the Norm years half the fan base wanted to give Norm 50 years to turn things around and the other half had to be talked off a bridge. Now the thought of a HS kid picking SH over us is being derided by most of you.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:09:06 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #1438 on: September 08, 2011, 01:34:39 PM »

Um, no.
Not even close yo.

This fan base is hysterical. For the Norm years half the fan base wanted to give Norm 50 years to turn things around and the other half had to be talked off a bridge. Now the thought of a HS kid picking SH over us is being derided by most of you.

Perception wise you are not even close.

« Reply #1439 on: September 08, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »

Um, no.
Not even close yo.

Bre, you talkin the past. Im talkin now.
What program has the juice now and what program dont?
What program got itself a world class coachin staff?
What program got itself the No. 2 class in the nation?
What program just sign a Top 30 prospect?
What program was all over the national media last year?
What program has a HOF-candidate on its bench as its fifth coach?
What program was in the Tourney last year?
What program is playin Arizona, Kentucky, Duke and UCLA this year?

3...Wait fo it... 2....Here it come.... 1........ C'MON NOW!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.