Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #480 on: July 16, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »
Man I can't believe Zags reporting this. He has no conscience. Well this is a direct shot at something SH was attempting to do which was add him to the coaching staff. Not sure how this leaked as not even everyone on the SH staff even knew (obviously someone was getting clipped).

Anyways this isn't promising news for SH on many fronts however this doesn't eliminate them from the race.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Logen

« Reply #481 on: July 17, 2011, 12:58:37 AM »
Is this whole KA Sr. thing totally speculation on what Seton Hall could possibly do in order to land Kyle, or is there some kind of rumor that its based off of? From what I see from this thread it went from a "what if" Seton Hall hires KA sr., to more of a "I cant believe they are trying to do this." Just curious if this is something that somebody has heard as an actual possibility, or if everyone is thinking outside the box on how Seton Hall could possibly land Kyle.

Notice how the posters who are known to be insiders haven't shot down the speculation? Sometimes what's not said on this board is just as loud as what is said.

I don't even know what being an "insider" means, but I know a lot of NJ hoops people and anyone who knows the Andersons at all would consider this "rumor" to be so much nonsense. However, no one knows what any other person is going to do in such circumstances and that's why there is no such thing as an "insider." I will give one reason some people who's opinion I respect think KA  is seriously considering SHU and that's that he is maturing significantly as a player and with that has come out of the shadows of other players and is emerging as a dominating but very team oriented player. He can have a role at SHU he might not be able to have at the other schools. Just pure speculation but one thing I am pretty sure of, the Andersons will make an intelligent decision based on what is best for Kyle's development as a player and person and no one knows but them what the real criteria for making that decision is.   

If you mean that the role he will play at Seton Hall that he won't at other schools is being double-teamed all day, then I agree with you.  Kyle Anderson will play a significant role at all the schools on his list, both as a forward and as a ball-handler.  He won't have any talent to distribute to at the Hall.  Willard's offense  at the Hall looked disjointed and overall atrocious last season.  Hazell bailed them out a ton, otherwise the season would have continued on it's path the way it was during his injury.  Being a "team oriented" player is great.  It requires the requisite talent around you though.  I thought the reason SJU made the tourney last season and was so successful was because Lavin and Dunlap had us playing some of the best "team oriented" ball that I've seen SJU play.

Willard inherited an incredibly dysfunctional group of players, it had nothing to do with Willard's "offense." You (and others) praise Polee or Harkless or whoever for having the courage to being the first to sign with Lavin during the disaster that was SJU basketball and by your logic they SHOULD NOT have signed with the Johnnies. Disjointed program and a coach who had been on the sidelines for years after being run out of UCLA. Well maybe, just maybe, KA is going to have the courage to do the same at SHU - at the end of the day I don't believe he will but I do believe they are a serious contender and believe me, he and his father know a helluva lot more about Willard's offense than any of us. As for SJU's talent, it is undeniable. However, with all that talent and Jevon Thomas coming, do you think Lavin is going to just give KA the ball the way they might at SHU? And don't think that SHU is talentless, they are not, and although it does not match SJU's, might KA want the challenge of seeing if he is good enough to raise it to another level while playing in his home state? I realize all of your posts are spun around the fact that you are a super SJU fan and there is obviously nothing wrong with that, this is a fan board, but I am just offering a viewpoint that is emerging because of KA's maturation as a player. At the end of the day, no one knows but the Andersons.   

Those "dysfunctional" players are a heck of a lot more talented than the guys he has coming in.  Grennan, Wilson, Karlis... cmon.   The talent there IS that bad.  Outside of the transfer Oliver and maybe Fuquan Edwin or a solid Cosby, there isn't much at all. Harkless and Polee signed with Lavin, a coach who has been to Sweet 16 after Final 8 after Sweet 16 after Sweet 16 after... well... you get the point.  Willard is an unproven coach and couldn't go anywhere in the MAAC. 

As far as Kyle getting the ball in his hands, I think Lavin and Dunlap have a lot more of an idea on what they'd do with Kyle than Willard.  If Kyle wants to subscribe to the idea that going to a school who will "give him the damn ball" is the best for him, then so be it.  Even with Jevon on board, I believe that Kyle will have ample opportunity to showcase his skills both at the PG spot and forward spots. 

Maturation of a player should mean that he's approaching things in a rational manner both on and off the court.  I too suspect they'll choose what is best for them.  None of this is coming from me being a SJU fan though.  I think UCLA, Georgetown and Florida are all a LOT better places for Kyle to show his skills...  Do I think SJU is a great fit?  Yes, for quite a few reasons.  I just happen to be unimpressed with Willard thus far.  Kyle wants to go there, then he certainly should.  What will happen though is that he'll be trying to drop the ball into zones because there is almost nobody on that roster coming in who can break guys down off the dribble.

As a SJU fan, I'd hate to lose such a nice overall talent, but we will be fine no matter what.

If you think SHU had talented players then the conversation ends here. There is more to being a talented basketball player than being able to fill a two minute highlight reel. As for Willard, you judge him on one year because it fits your round , hole square peg theory that SJU is the best place in the basketball universe for every player you'd like to see here. Be a little objective, I'd prefer to discuss options and possibilities, not be so arrogant as to come across as thinking I know what is best for another person.

« Reply #482 on: July 17, 2011, 01:14:54 AM »
Logen,

I respect you coming over here to discuss but you better bring it man!

Comparing St. John's to Seton Hall is apples and oranges (no pun intended). Harkless came when there were 9 available scholarships and Seton Hall just signed 3 questionable guys this past season after striking out on others. They have a logjam of bad scholarship players.

Willard didn't win a tournament game in the MAAC, his staff's resume doesn't stack up to other schools within the conference. This isn't to discredit them and they are working as hard if not harder than anyone within the conference. They are great group of coaches and they've been visible at every event possible but at the end of the day this doesn't mean that they can close. They have a very uphill battle, one that any fan here is already all too familiar with.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #483 on: July 17, 2011, 01:38:13 PM »
Logen,

Comparing St. John's to Seton Hall is apples and oranges (no pun intended). Harkless came when there were 9 available scholarships and Seton Hall just signed 3 questionable guys this past season after striking out on others. They have a logjam of bad scholarship players.

Willard didn't win a tournament game in the MAAC, his staff's resume doesn't stack up to other schools within the conference. This isn't to discredit them and they are working as hard if not harder than anyone within the conference. They are great group of coaches and they've been visible at every event possible but at the end of the day this doesn't mean that they can close. They have a very uphill battle, one that any fan here is already all too familiar with.

Totally agree, Dave.  Harkless came when we had three coaches with NBA experience.  Rico Hines trained some of the best young stars in the game.  Gene Keady won SIX national coach of the year awards!!!! 

Willard has no resume as a head coach and his staff pales in comparison to what Lavin assembled. 

If you think that Seton Hall had any less talent than STJ, then the conversation does end there.  We had two kids that could make a basket from three.  You guys had way more sucess with your group the previous three years than our group did and you had the (much) higher ranked recruits (with more size). 

Seton Hall is my second favorit team in the Big East, but it would, at best, be a Marshon Brooks-Providence type of relationship for KA and Seton Hall.  I wish it was you guys blowing up instead of Rutgers, but it's not. You guys are in really bad shape.  When our fourth string SF could star for your team...it's bad.

« Reply #484 on: July 17, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
Logen,

Totally agree, Dave.  Harkless came when we had three coaches with NBA experience.  Rico Hines trained some of the best young stars in the game.  Gene Keady won SIX national coach of the year awards!!!! 

Willard has no resume as a head coach and his staff pales in comparison to what Lavin assembled. 

If you think that Seton Hall had any less talent than STJ, then the conversation does end there.  We had two kids that could make a basket from three.  You guys had way more sucess with your group the previous three years than our group did and you had the (much) higher ranked recruits (with more size). 

Seton Hall is my second favorit team in the Big East, but it would, at best, be a Marshon Brooks-Providence type of relationship for KA and Seton Hall.  I wish it was you guys blowing up instead of Rutgers, but it's not. You guys are in really bad shape.  When our fourth string SF could star for your team...it's bad.

I believe Logen is a St. John's fan, if I'm correct. 

« Reply #485 on: July 17, 2011, 02:49:39 PM »
What the Florida insiders have been saying...

The Florida people feel they have a really good shot here.  Partially because they consider the competition for KA to be "beneath them" program-wise, also because they feel Bradley Beal (who may not even be around next season depending on how his freshman season goes) can be the other half of the "Batman & Robin" combination KA desires.  They feel once they get him on campus they can seal the deal.  They also believe that Norm's relationship with him will be a HUGE factor.  That would be a colossal kick in the groin, if we lost a guy BECAUSE of Norm, who couldn't bring in a top recruit to save his life here.

Speaking of Norm Roberts and Florida....  By the way, I agree with you, Plexxxx....  It would definitely be a kick in the groin to lose Anderson due to Norm Roberts. 

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/07/16/roberts-keeping-florida-in-kyle-anderson-sweepstakes/#more-54688

SJUFAN

« Reply #486 on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »

The Florida people feel they have a really good shot here.  Partially because they consider the competition for KA to be "beneath them" program-wise, also because they feel Bradley Beal (who may not even be around next season depending on how his freshman season goes) can be the other half of the "Batman & Robin" combination KA desires.  They feel once they get him on campus they can seal the deal.  They also believe that Norm's relationship with him will be a HUGE factor.  That would be a colossal kick in the groin, if we lost a guy BECAUSE of Norm, who couldn't bring in a top recruit to save his life here.

Speaking of Norm Roberts and Florida....  By the way, I agree with you, Plexxxx....  It would definitely be a kick in the groin to lose Anderson due to Norm Roberts. 

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/07/16/roberts-keeping-florida-in-kyle-anderson-sweepstakes/#more-54688

If we lose him to Florida, it will be because of Donovan. We all know Norm can't close.

crgreen

« Reply #487 on: July 17, 2011, 05:47:14 PM »

If we lose him to Florida, it will be because of Donovan. We all know Norm can't close.

Except he's now pitching for a school with 2 NCAA titles in the last 6 years.    When these kids were ending middle-school/starting high school,  Florida was winning back to back NCAA Championships.    That is an hellacious recruiting advantage that isn't there for St. Johns (yet).....

ras

« Reply #488 on: July 17, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »
SJU offers the best of all worlds. Great supporting cast, great coaching staff ,a potential final four,all a stone throw from patterson, so his family can easily watch him play. I dont believe there is a direct flight to Gainsville.

« Reply #489 on: July 17, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »

Except he's now pitching for a school with 2 NCAA titles in the last 6 years.    When these kids were ending middle-school/starting high school,  Florida was winning back to back NCAA Championships.    That is an hellacious recruiting advantage that isn't there for St. Johns (yet).....

True!  But, it seems that isn't the reason why he's interested in Florida.  It may play a small role, but it seems Florida is hanging around as a gratuity to Roberts. 

Color me bias, but ras makes some excellent points.  Even with the (non) direct flight to Gainesville quote.  You may have to get on one of those cropdusters to get there.  LOL
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:16:09 PM by mjdinkins »

uwsfan

« Reply #490 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
I really think this competition comes down to STJ & G-town.

I think geography works against Fla and UCLA and i just dont see him going to SH, which is at present a 2nd rate program. And future nba early 1st round picks just dont go to 2nd rate programs.

I know Williard and staff are going after him desperately and see him as the programs savior, but I really think their inclusion in his top 5 is little more than a courtesy mention for the local school.

Its actually kinda funny to see the SH fans over at rivals. Those guys have a SERIOUS inferiority complex and are getting their hopes up far too much for this Anderson. Any comment that he might go elsewhere results in a crazed vicious group attack. I think them losing him will be the thing that pushes some posters there over the edge into insanity, lol

People say G-town system fits him better, but St. Johns more up tempo style could be a good fit for a great passer capable of seeing the entire court due to his height and flanked by extremely athletic & fast teamates to toss assists to

SJUFAN

« Reply #491 on: July 17, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »

If you take Brandon Lyon off of the Astro's and place him on the Yankee's with all of their tradition he still wouldn't be a good closer. Lavin, seven years removed from recruiting, brought in a top 3 class at the same program where Norm struggled to bring in top 100 talent. Closers close, Norm is a setup man.  If KA wants to stay close to home, I can't see him going to Florida because of Norm.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:23:39 PM by STJFAN »

Gumby

« Reply #492 on: July 17, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
I also think that geography will be a major factor when KA makes his decision.  His Dad has made a point to be his coach to see KA develop and also to watch him play.  Now that KA is on the brink of selecting a college, he can select a top school with a top coach (and staff) and some great incoming players and be nearby so both Mom and Dad can enjoy seeing him play for the next few years.  Or he can select a school where they can watch him via cable.  Do I sound a bit bias with this post?

« Reply #493 on: July 17, 2011, 09:15:58 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting (Dave Telep)....

Defenders

Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) and Kyle Anderson (Paterson, N.J./St. Anthony's) are more traditional ballhawks, but the top steal percentage of the known 28 EYBL teams belonged to BABC forward Jake Layman (Wrentham, Mass./King Phillip). He's the kind of guy whose defensive style can easily slip through the cracks because it's untraditional -- nobody gives a ton of credit to the forward picking a kid's pocket because they don't expect him to be able to do it consistently. Layman does and he has a legitimate offensive package. The sample size for his steals isn't quite large enough to confidently declare him a dangerous defender, but his offensive tools are strong enough that an eye should be kept firmly on his progress.

Passers

Anderson dominates this category as well, but the highest assist rate in the EYBL belonged to 5-7 PG Derrick Randolph (Chicago/Whitney Young). He's not a great shooter (only 48 percent from the line), but his assists to turnover ratio was 3 to 1 and he grabbed his fair share of steals. At the high-major level, we'd be skeptical. At the mid-major level, we'd be frantically trying to get him on campus.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6772308/chris-obekpa-derrick-randolph-sleepers-nike-eybl

« Reply #494 on: July 17, 2011, 09:24:33 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

The next Big O or Magic

At 6-8, SF/PG Kyle Anderson (Fairview, N.J./St. Anthony) showed he is capable of filling a box score by nearly averaging a triple-double against some of the country's elite players. Anderson's game draws a lot of comparisons to Jalen Rose, as he is a big guard who sees the floor and plays under a controlled pace. He took a less talented team with few high-major prospects and was able to compete against some of the best Nike-sponsored teams on the circuit. The biggest question for a lot of college coaches is wether he can exclusively play the point, but no matter where he plays on the floor he becomes a facilitator for the offense who can break open a game with a score or an assist. Although he may not be overly athletic, his basketball IQ is incredible, and he always sees two plays ahead. This kid is a dynamic player who knows how to win games and could have an immediate impact for a college program.[/i]

Anderson was also considered one of the "Big-time performers" at the Peach Jam. 

Kyle Anderson
Perhaps no one gets more out of what he has than Anderson. Although not blessed with great athletic ability, he continues to make others better around him, make winning plays and keep his team in a position to win. He's a matchup problem for opponents because he exploits their weaknesses. When you can record a few triple-doubles, you are special.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6775719/what-learned-peach-jam

NYCoffey

« Reply #495 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »

LJSA

« Reply #496 on: July 18, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »
“He’s the slowest player I’ve ever played against in my life, yet he’s one of the most skilled you will ever play in the world.”

Kyle, meet Mr. Hines.

Gumby

« Reply #497 on: July 18, 2011, 03:09:58 PM »
I think Mark Jackson was considered very slow to be effective in college (especially, when compared to the other three PG in his class) and too slow to make it in the Pros.  Whatever happened to Mark?

crgreen

« Reply #498 on: July 18, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
I think Mark Jackson was considered very slow to be effective in college (especially, when compared to the other three PG in his class) and too slow to make it in the Pros.  Whatever happened to Mark?

He11's be11s.  Earvin Johnson was considerd too slow to be effective on D in college  (he was a POWER FORWARD - Jay Vincent played the 5, and Greg Kelser the 3 for Michigan State.  The guards were Mike Brkovich and Terry Donnelly (each played 39 minutes in the title win).  And no way he could NEVER play point in the pros.....

crgreen

« Reply #499 on: July 18, 2011, 10:26:19 PM »

He11's be11s.  Earvin Johnson was considerd too slow to be effective on D in college.  Tho the offense channeled thru him, he was a POWER FORWARD - Jay Vincent played the 5, and Greg Kelser the 3 for Michigan State.  The guards were Mike Brkovich and Terry Donnelly (each played 39 minutes in the title win).  And no way he could EVER play point in the pros.....