Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

Gumby

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA
« Reply #2380 on: April 16, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »
I would bet the ranch that KA was an UCLA recruit from the moment he was out there playing ball in Venice.  He took in the whole LA scene, which is pretty darn impressive. Of course wearing a "Vinny Chase" medallion was probably another indicator. "Go west young man!"  I think KA had second thoughts about UCLA when the SH fan base went crazy and attended all of his games.  That full court press was pretty intensive, remember.  But that bubble probably broke a few days before he recommitted in his mind to UCLA.

CR, do you feel he is a one and one player for UCLA?

pmg911

« Reply #2381 on: April 16, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »
Gumby- I believe what the kid said was 100% true about going to Seton Hall until about a week before his annoucement.

Moose

« Reply #2382 on: April 16, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »
Here is the article PMG got the Kyle info from.  Interesting article I'm going to post on the main forum.

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/4620/jbc-stars-reveal-their-no-2-schools
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:43:40 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2383 on: April 16, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
Really?

We gotta allege a payoff cause a Top 5 kid chose UCLA over the Hall?

Westwood over South Orange?
Beaches over Turnpike?
Most storied program eva over the not-so-most-storied program eva? 
1001 NBA players over Anthony Avent?

C'mon now.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #2384 on: April 16, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »
Well Choz - these kids are treated so unfairly by the NCAA that they need to take the money when the opportunity presents itself. They are all just being used by the system, cant blame them at all.

So a NJ kid admits his mind was made up that he was going to Seton Hall after a fierce national recruiting battle and then the week before his annoucement, he changes his mind.

Like you said, C'MON ON SON....

« Reply #2385 on: April 16, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Well Choz - these kids are treated so unfairly by the NCAA that they need to take the money when the opportunity presents itself. They are all just being used by the system, cant blame them at all.

So a NJ kid admits his mind was made up that he was going to Seton Hall after a fierce national recruiting battle and then the week before his annoucement, he changes his mind.

Like you said, C'MON ON SON....

First off you are assuming he is telling the truth.  Secondly, so a kid cannot change his mind for no other reason then in the end he believes he would be better at one program then another but rather because he is getting paid???

I don't get it.  So if he chooses a program that has literally done nothing for more then a decade that is not suspicious but if he chooses a better school, program and city that IS suspicious?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:56:36 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #2386 on: April 16, 2012, 11:53:26 AM »
“Seton Hall. I’ve never told anyone this, but this is crazy. Exactly a week before I chose UCLA I had decided that I was going to Seton Hall. It was a done deal. Then I had another talk with my family the next day and I felt like it was UCLA. If UCLA didn’t exist I’d be at Seton Hall, no question. I just couldn’t turn down [UCLA], the tradition, the weather, the beach, all the pros that play there in the summer. Plus I’m cool withRussell Westbrook and Kevin Love, just everything about it. And I mean, c’mon, it’s L.A.!”

Thi$ i$ a pretty funny $tatement but thi$ young man. I wonder what happened to change hi$ mind in the $pace of one week.
must be the, "Hey, I'm Vinny Chase!" wannabe twitter-tude KA has...

pmg911

« Reply #2387 on: April 16, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
You guys are right and I am totally off base here. Kyle was certainly entitled to change his mind.

I wish the young man nothing but the best, he is a local kid and I would love to see him thrive as he moves forward in his basketball career.

crgreen

« Reply #2388 on: April 16, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
I would bet the ranch that KA was an UCLA recruit from the moment he was out there playing ball in Venice.  He took in the whole LA scene, which is pretty darn impressive. Of course wearing a "Vinny Chase" medallion was probably another indicator. "Go west young man!"  I think KA had second thoughts about UCLA when the SH fan base went crazy and attended all of his games.  That full court press was pretty intensive, remember.  But that bubble probably broke a few days before he recommitted in his mind to UCLA.

CR, do you feel he is a one and one player for UCLA?

No.  Not unless they win a title his first year.  Then maybe.   But I think Kyle is planning on 2 years - he's told a couple of potential 2013 recruits he'll still be there to pass them the ball...

Shabazz is most likely one and done - unless it looks like he can lock down #1 overall pick by coming back.  He's really got a chip on his shoulder - two of his goals from back as a freshman were to be the #1 player in his class out of high school, and #1 in the draft coming out of college.    He's really frustrated that he lost the #1 overall ranking when Noel reclassified.  He really believe's he's considerably better than Nerlens.  Kid really feels he has something to prove.  There's a youtube interview after he declared - that he chose UCLA over Kentucky BECAUSE Kentucky won the title.   He want's to prove he's a major impact player.   UCLA's been down for a couple years, so if they win it, his impact is proved....moreso than by going to the #1 team in the country and helping them to a repeat.

As a UCLA fan, I do feel I need to point out, that if Ky had LOST in the final, they'd simply be a school that's gone to ONE final four in the last DECADE PLUS, while UCLA's the only school in D-1 thats been to 3 in the last 6 years.   Actually, I can STILL say that,  But a title does trump 3 final fours :)   Just sayin' - down is a relative thing - means one thing to a 18 year old who maybe saw his first UCLA 6 years ago, and another thing to a geezer like me, who attended his first UCLA game in 1953....

« Reply #2389 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »
You guys are right and I am totally off base here. Kyle was certainly entitled to change his mind.

I wish the young man nothing but the best, he is a local kid and I would love to see him thrive as he moves forward in his basketball career.

While I am far from a conspiracy theorist and definitely understand why a player would choose UCLA.  I do find it interesting that Howland has pulled his best recruiting class while he is on the hot seat.  While rumors were flying he was out of a job he was able to obtain the services of 2 of the top 3 players in the class.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2390 on: April 16, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »

While I am far from a conspiracy theorist and definitely understand why a player would choose UCLA.  I do find it interesting that Howland has pulled his best recruiting class while he is on the hot seat.  While rumors were flying he was out of a job he was able to obtain the services of 2 of the top 3 players in the class.

In 2007 he landed one of the top 4-5 players in the country in Kevin Love.  Year later he landed the consensus number 1 of 2 classes in the country. 

Shabazz has family from LA.  In Kyle's case he committed and signed before this year when UCLA was considered a top 25 team at least going into this past season.

Arizona just completed their 2nd season in the last 3 years of not making the NCAA's.  This on the heels of several high profile transfers like Sidiki Johnson and Mo Mo Jones and now Josiah Turner.  Yet they have a class comparable to Kentucky's.

Before this year Tom Crean had 3 straight losing seasons at IU.  Yet he had signed his best class at IU before he even coached his 4th year, which would turn out to be his best season at IU.

They are big time programs with big time coaches who have hit some rough patches.  I don't find it out of the ordinary in the least bit.  If they were not allowed to sign big time players even as they struggled then they would never get out of their struggles.

desco80

« Reply #2391 on: April 16, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »

In 2007 he landed one of the top 4-5 players in the country in Kevin Love.  Year later he landed the consensus number 1 of 2 classes in the country. 

Shabazz has family from LA.  In Kyle's case he committed and signed before this year when UCLA was considered a top 25 team at least going into this past season.

Arizona just completed their 2nd season in the last 3 years of not making the NCAA's.  This on the heels of several high profile transfers like Sidiki Johnson and Mo Mo Jones and now Josiah Turner.  Yet they have a class comparable to Kentucky's.

Before this year Tom Crean had 3 straight losing seasons at IU.  Yet he had signed his best class at IU before he even coached his 4th year, which would turn out to be his best season at IU.

They are big time programs with big time coaches who have hit some rough patches.  I don't find it out of the ordinary in the least bit.  If they were not allowed to sign big time players even as they struggled then they would never get out of their struggles.

I think Fordham is right on the money. 

And I think big programs that have hit a so called "rough patch", have a lot going for them that lets them get these big classes:
1) playing time.   UCLA, Indiana, Arizona are all great programs, who had coaches guys want to play for.  And they had advantages over the UNCs Dukes and Kentuckys in that they had plenty of playing time to offer, and you wouldn't have to compete for your position.
There are exceptions, so I don't mean that as a blanket statement - but generally I think it's true.

and
2)  Some guys like "rescuing" a program.   Now, are Shabazz and KA really rescuing UCLA ?  Obviously not.  UCLA has had a great decade as CR points out.   But recruits can "be different", or act like they're paving their own path by picking a big time program on the rebound.   Is it really ever a risk to go to Indiana or UCLA?  haha not in my eyes, but I think kids sometimes see everyone going to 3 or 4 schools, and think of themselves as trailblazers by picking one of these rebounding programs. 

crgreen

« Reply #2392 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »

I'm a firm believer you can't really rate a recruiting class till 4-5 years down the road.    Getting recruits hs NEVER been an issue for Ben Howland at UCLA.   But so far, this is not his "best class" - The reason Howland was "on the hotseat" is because he actually had a "better" recruiting class than this one 4 years ago - that completely didn't pan out for the school - #1 overall Jrue Holiday, #20 Malcolm Lee,   #25 J'Misson Morgan,  #29 Drew Gordan,  #41 Jerime Anderson.   Holiday scored 8 pts as frosh then jumped to the NBA.  Malcolm Lee was behind Holiday and All America Collison as  frosh, struggled as a soph, then jumped to the League as a Junir.   J'Misson Morgan (Bobo) was kicked off the team after a non-contributing 2 years.  Drew Gordan couldn't get off the bench as a frosh, as a soph was such a cancer he was kicked off the team.   Jerime Anderson was a 4 year disappointment.  If you can be a "journeyman" college player, Jerime was it.

The following class after that one included Reeves Nelson who'd been the #11 recruit in the country as a Jr. before getting hurt playing football, and dropping in the rankings as a senior due t lack of play - his problems are well documented.  Mike Moser was a top 50 recruit - transferred after 1 season of 5 minutes a game.   Tyler Honeycutt was the #21 recruit , who left for the Sac Kings after his soph year.  Brendan Lane was a top 60 recruit,  who got recruited over, and has now transferred to Pepperdine for PT.   Additionally, 6'10 Anthony stover was brought in as  project.  A 10 minute agame reserve, he still finished 4th in the Pac 12 in blocked shots this pst season. 

Since that group, and in the intervening 2 classes before this new class, Ben brought in FOUR McDonalds All Americans those two subsequent classes.  A 6'10 center in Josh Smith, 2 6'10 PFs in the Wear Twins, and and 6'2 PG in Larry Drew, plus a #21 recruit in Tyler Lamb, and a #41 recruit in Norman Powell.  And landing formre ESPNU top15 prospect Matt Carlino - who transfered to BYU without ever getting into a regular season game at UCLA.   So landing 3 top players (so far) in THIS class Shouldn't be a surprise or shock.

This could be a great recruiting class.  I believe it will, because the top 2 are really special in both talent and ATTITUDE.   But there are no real guarantees.

« Reply #2393 on: April 17, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »

I'm a firm believer you can't really rate a recruiting class till 4-5 years down the road.    Getting recruits hs NEVER been an issue for Ben Howland at UCLA.   But so far, this is not his "best class" - The reason Howland was "on the hotseat" is because he actually had a "better" recruiting class than this one 4 years ago - that completely didn't pan out for the school - #1 overall Jrue Holiday, #20 Malcolm Lee,   #25 J'Misson Morgan,  #29 Drew Gordan,  #41 Jerime Anderson.   Holiday scored 8 pts as frosh then jumped to the NBA.  Malcolm Lee was behind Holiday and All America Collison as  frosh, struggled as a soph, then jumped to the League as a Junir.   J'Misson Morgan (Bobo) was kicked off the team after a non-contributing 2 years.  Drew Gordan couldn't get off the bench as a frosh, as a soph was such a cancer he was kicked off the team.   Jerime Anderson was a 4 year disappointment.  If you can be a "journeyman" college player, Jerime was it.

The following class after that one included Reeves Nelson who'd been the #11 recruit in the country as a Jr. before getting hurt playing football, and dropping in the rankings as a senior due t lack of play - his problems are well documented.  Mike Moser was a top 50 recruit - transferred after 1 season of 5 minutes a game.   Tyler Honeycutt was the #21 recruit , who left for the Sac Kings after his soph year.  Brendan Lane was a top 60 recruit,  who got recruited over, and has now transferred to Pepperdine for PT.   Additionally, 6'10 Anthony stover was brought in as  project.  A 10 minute agame reserve, he still finished 4th in the Pac 12 in blocked shots this pst season. 

Since that group, and in the intervening 2 classes before this new class, Ben brought in FOUR McDonalds All Americans those two subsequent classes.  A 6'10 center in Josh Smith, 2 6'10 PFs in the Wear Twins, and and 6'2 PG in Larry Drew, plus a #21 recruit in Tyler Lamb, and a #41 recruit in Norman Powell.  And landing formre ESPNU top15 prospect Matt Carlino - who transfered to BYU without ever getting into a regular season game at UCLA.   So landing 3 top players (so far) in THIS class Shouldn't be a surprise or shock.

This could be a great recruiting class.  I believe it will, because the top 2 are really special in both talent and ATTITUDE.   But there are no real guarantees.

Man, even wit all that McD talent and size.... y'all still couldnt box out a 6'2" Top 150 guard.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:30:43 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

crgreen

« Reply #2394 on: April 17, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »

Man, even wit all that McD talent and size.... y'all still couldnt box out a 6'2" Top 150 guard.

That's it in a  nutshell.

sju89tr

« Reply #2395 on: April 17, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »

I live in LA and watched a great deal of UCLA last year (as wll as other years since 1990)

It was apparent to me that Howland had little control last year of the squad (even before the Nelson departure)

Just one of those things where a team just doesn't puzzle together right, the same can probably be said of the 2010-2011 squad.

I don't think Howland has forgot how to coach and obviously his recruiting has not fallen off.

I do think that kids like KA and Shabbaz are well disciplined basketball players and people and Howland should right the ship. However with these two likely one and done, it is on Howland's shoulders not to revert back to recruiting bad apples as he has done in the past. 

« Reply #2396 on: April 17, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »

I live in LA and watched a great deal of UCLA last year (as wll as other years since 1990)

It was apparent to me that Howland had little control last year of the squad (even before the Nelson departure)

Just one of those things where a team just doesn't puzzle together right, the same can probably be said of the 2010-2011 squad.

I don't think Howland has forgot how to coach and obviously his recruiting has not fallen off.

I do think that kids like KA and Shabbaz are well disciplined basketball players and people and Howland should right the ship. However with these two likely one and done, it is on Howland's shoulders not to revert back to recruiting bad apples as he has done in the past.
great feedback.  I do think next year will turn things around.  Vinny Chase is taking over L.A.  :coolsmiley:

« Reply #2397 on: April 17, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »

great feedback.  I do think next year will turn things around.  Vinny Chase is taking over L.A. ... again lol  :coolsmiley:  Last year's "Slug it out Beaches" will become "Hug it out beaches" again..."

Happy days for cr and you - ha ha ha
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:15:46 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #2398 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:14 PM »
I don't watch Entourage.  Can someone explain all of the Vinny Chase references to me.  They're going over my head.

Moose

« Reply #2399 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
I don't watch Entourage.  Can someone explain all of the Vinny Chase references to me.  They're going over my head.

Kid from Queens.  Moved to Cali to act.
Remember who broke the Slice news