Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1000 on: August 25, 2011, 02:30:35 PM »
I'm "surprised" our resident rival never commented on yesterday's tweet.   ;)

I'm surprised no one commented on this chat from Dave Telep yesterday:
"Kyle Anderson. Wow, there are some theories working on that one. There's the "family in Florida" theory. There's the close to home theory with SJU and SHU. There's the "fits best with Georgetown" theory and then there's the "he'll go with Shabazz to UCLA" theory. Me, I can't call it. Kyle's been private about the whole deal. He'll announce on Sept. 20 I believe and it reminds me of Julius Hodge recruitment; could go a number of ways."  :P

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/39872/recruiting-with-dave-telep

So basically what you are saying is Dave Telep giving his OPINION in a Q & A session by saying he has absolutely NO IDEA where KA will land (which could be said by 6 billion other people in the world) is the equivalent of two writers talking directly with someone close to Kyle and getting direct quotes and being told direct things and writing a tweet or piece done on that basis?  Is that how I understand it?

Telep's Answer to a question is relevent but hardly worth a discussion since he basically says nothing.

Now if he said that he thinks Georgetown leads, that would be a little more newsworthy.  However again it would be his OPINION.  Jerry Meyer did not write an OPINION piece.  Adam Zagoria did not tweet his OPINION.  He did not say that "HE thinks SJU and UCLA stand out." 

There is a blog Telep wrote in July and what he said yesterday (in, reference to Anderson) was practically verbatim from one of his July blog's.  The fact is this guy is reaching for straws, so that is why he completely ignored the info from a couple of days ago.  Whatever suits him is what he's gonna gravitate towards.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:31:23 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #1001 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:33 PM »
I love how you accuse me of gravitating towards info that benefits the Hoyas and ignoring the info that doesn't. As if the same thing doesn't happen everywhere.

Also I love how when it's something saying that St. John's leads it's a facts but if it doesn't say st. John's leads it's opinion.

The Rivals article chose to highlight St. John's. It was an article that was supposed to highlight Big East recruiting but only saw fit to get quotes about St. John's and Kyle and Ignored quotes i'm sure he got about Seton Hall and Kyle.You think he could've included those Since we now know he didn't get any quotes about Georgetown for that article.  All articles are opinion pieces. Putting in quotes doesn't mean it's not an opinion. Picking and choosing quotes and only publishing those makes it an opinionated piece.

Jerry has a quote from Kyle Sr. that says: "St. John's has a good a shot to get Kyle as anyone," Then he goes on to opine "St. John's is solidly in the mix for Anderson, who attends Jersey City (N.J.) St. Anthony High School. Ironically, St. John's toughest competition for Anderson is coming from UCLA. Lavin's former school would love to lure Anderson off the West Coast and potentially match him up with the No. 1 prospect in the Rivals150 Shabazz Muhammad. "

That's an opinion not a fact. Just because he stated it like a fact doesn't make it a fact. There is no quote from Kyle Sr. or Kyle that says: "St. John's and UCLA lead" or a quote about anyone leading.

Once Kyle makes a decision I will still be on these boards to discuss Basketball and any other recruits we go head to head over like Rysheed Jordan. If kyle commits to you I will be hear to congratulate you. If he chooses someone else I'm sure i'll take pleasure in the reaction here but will refrain from rubbing it in.

It's the attitude of condescension that is currently permeating St. John's fans right now that is what is rubbing people the wrong way. Everyone isn't an ill-informed idiot who doesn't know basketball just because they don't agree with you. There can be differences of opinion. It's not about being right or wrong. There's rarely black and white in recruiting or basketball.

We're all passionate fans but let's try not to be so needlessly antagonistic.  :police:

« Reply #1002 on: August 25, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »
author=hoyahooligan link=topic=4445.msg80481#msg80481 date=1314300573]
I love how you accuse me of gravitating towards info that benefits the Hoyas and ignoring the info that doesn't. As if the same thing doesn't happen everywhere.

I can confidently say, if Meyer's article or Zags' tweet had highlighted G'town or any of the other schools on Anderson's list, other than the Johnnies, then it would've been discussed here and on Redmen.  It's clearly you dismissed it because it didn't paint the picture that you would've liked.  Reason why you posted an arbitrary response by Telep.

All articles are opinion pieces. Putting in quotes doesn't mean it's not an opinion. Picking and choosing quotes and only publishing those makes it an opinionated piece.

You've lost credibility, if you believe all articles are opinion pieces.  Some are that way, but not all.  You view it in that manner because you're reaching for straws.  By the way, Zags' mentioned a "source" from his tweet.  How come you conveniently not mention that particular tweet?

The only fans who are being "rubbed" the wrong way are a few Hall and UCONN fans.  I guess you can be lumped into that group, as you said you felt the same on the Hall board (while you dissed our 2011 recruiting class).   It's not about you agreeing or disagreeing with me or anyone on this board.  It's about you dismissing what you've read or heard that doesn't fit your agenda.  Then, you come here to post an arbitrary response by Telep.  LOL  It's all good, dude!

Not being antagonistic.  Just show your true colors.  You can be yourself here.   ;) 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:24:56 PM by mjdinkins »

crgreen

« Reply #1003 on: August 25, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but CONGRATULATIONS.   The "ONE THOUSAND REPLY" barriar has now been officially broken!

Marillac

« Reply #1004 on: August 25, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »
Hoyahooligan, on behalf of a lot of st. Johns fans I apologize. You have done nothing wrong here at all. There are a few vocal STJ fans that can't take anything but good news about recruits. It is pretty sad actually.

« Reply #1005 on: August 25, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
Hoyahooligan, on behalf of a lot of st. Johns fans I apologize. You have done nothing wrong here at all. There are a few vocal STJ fans that can't take anything but good news about recruits. It is pretty sad actually.

No, he hasn't done anything wrong.  Who said he did?  But, if he's gonna post an arbitrary response by Telep (the same response he basically stated in one of his blogs from a month ago) and totally dismiss Meyer's and Zags then he comes off looking like someone full of it.  No offense, but that is how it looks.

Stop being salty because you had some fans disagree with you about Lindsey.  LOL

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:23:33 PM by mjdinkins »

boo3

« Reply #1006 on: August 25, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »

I must say, i kinda agree with Marillac.  The hoya dude is just representing his school and their pursuit of Kyle.  In no way did he come off wrong, whatsoever.   You kids and your recruiting.... ;)    lighten up.

MCNPA

« Reply #1007 on: August 25, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »

I must say, i kinda agree with Marillac.  The hoya dude is just representing his school and their pursuit of Kyle.  In no way did he come off wrong, whatsoever.   You kids and your recruiting.... ;)    lighten up.

You should see how SJU fans get treated on other sites.   The SJU sites are the only ones with reasonable fans.  Other sites you just get pelted by rah rah cisk boom bah responses.  Hoya at least gets reasoned responses here and real conversation.  Try going to another site and you'll see something much more uncivilized.

« Reply #1008 on: August 25, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »

You should see how SJU fans get treated on other sites.   The SJU sites are the only ones with reasonable fans.  Other sites you just get pelted by rah rah cisk boom bah responses.  Hoya at least gets reasoned responses here and real conversation.  Try going to another site and you'll see something much more uncivilized.

You're pretty much on point, from what I've seen, MCN.

« Reply #1009 on: August 25, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »

Also I love how when it's something saying that St. John's leads it's a facts but if it doesn't say st. John's leads it's opinion.

The Rivals article chose to highlight St. John's. It was an article that was supposed to highlight Big East recruiting but only saw fit to get quotes about St. John's and Kyle and Ignored quotes i'm sure he got about Seton Hall and Kyle.You think he could've included those Since we now know he didn't get any quotes about Georgetown for that article.  All articles are opinion pieces. Putting in quotes doesn't mean it's not an opinion. Picking and choosing quotes and only publishing those makes it an opinionated piece.

Jerry has a quote from Kyle Sr. that says: "St. John's has a good a shot to get Kyle as anyone," Then he goes on to opine "St. John's is solidly in the mix for Anderson, who attends Jersey City (N.J.) St. Anthony High School. Ironically, St. John's toughest competition for Anderson is coming from UCLA. Lavin's former school would love to lure Anderson off the West Coast and potentially match him up with the No. 1 prospect in the Rivals150 Shabazz Muhammad. "

That's an opinion not a fact. Just because he stated it like a fact doesn't make it a fact. There is no quote from Kyle Sr. or Kyle that says: "St. John's and UCLA lead" or a quote about anyone leading.

Once Kyle makes a decision I will still be on these boards to discuss Basketball and any other recruits we go head to head over like Rysheed Jordan. If kyle commits to you I will be hear to congratulate you. If he chooses someone else I'm sure i'll take pleasure in the reaction here but will refrain from rubbing it in.

It's the attitude of condescension that is currently permeating St. John's fans right now that is what is rubbing people the wrong way. Everyone isn't an ill-informed idiot who doesn't know basketball just because they don't agree with you. There can be differences of opinion. It's not about being right or wrong. There's rarely black and white in recruiting or basketball.

We're all passionate fans but let's try not to be so needlessly antagonistic.  :police:

I will give you a pass hooligan because I like you but you still are clueless.

Zags tweet was based directly on someone close to Kyle telling him those two schools stand out.  Period, end of story.  He did not guess SJU and UCLA. 

Dave Telep was asked his opinion on where he thinks Kyle will land.  He said he does not know.  I am not criticizing.

What part of that don't you get.

I am sorry that is not a hard concept, especially from someone who went to Georgetown to comprehend.

« Reply #1010 on: August 25, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »
Let me just demonstrate the difference.

Let's say there is talk Barack Obama may not run for a 2nd term.  He gives signals both ways.  A political prognosticator answering questions on TV during a Q & A says he does not know what the President plans to do because he has heard so many theories.

That night a pundit tweets that a source close to the President (let's say the Chief of Staff) told him that the President has decided to run for a 2nd term.

You are telling me you cannot tell the difference between those two things? ( meaning one guy trying to filter all the information he has heard cannot give his opinion one way or another, the other guy simply went to the source or someone close to said person and got a big scoop)

Which statement do you think would the news organizations focus on more?

For God sakes how hard is this?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:10:06 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #1011 on: August 25, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »
Let me just demonstrate the difference.

Let's say there is talk Barack Obama may not run for a 2nd term.  He gives signals both ways.  A political prognosticator answering questions on TV during a Q & A says he does not know what the President plans to do because he has heard so many theories.

That night a pundit tweets that a source close to the President (let's say the Chief of Staff) told him that the President has decided to run for a 2nd term.

You are telling me you cannot tell the difference between those two things? ( meaning one guy trying to filter all the information he has heard cannot give his opinion one way or another, the other guy simply went to the source or someone close to said person and got a big scoop)

Which statement do you think would the news organizations focus on more?

For God sakes how hard is this?

He (hooligan) knows the difference, fordham.  He just chose to dismiss it because it isn't what he wanted to hear.  Instead, he gravitated to a random response by Telep because it is what he would rather hear.  He basically admitted it, in so many ways (I love how you accuse me of gravitating towards info that benefits the Hoyas and ignoring the info that doesn't. As if the same thing doesn't happen everywhere.)

It's cool!  It's not like I already didn't know where he initially stood.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:49:32 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #1012 on: August 25, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
Hoya is certainly welcome to post here just like anyone. Just has to be ready to back up what he says.

I think there are some seriously educated fans that post here. The amount of knowledge of what goes on in other programs is outstanding. I often check other websites & message boards to continually try and improve the site here and I'm always leaving impressed by the people here.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #1013 on: August 25, 2011, 09:15:05 PM »
  I have no doubt the St. John's fans are the cream of the crop and no doubt more knowledgeable than most.  I give Hoya a lotta credit though.  He's on here, battling it out with you guys, and being respectful in the process.  Its a lot easier to pull a baldi and pull some name calling nonesense and then run away ( sorry Baldi, just using you as an example, ie trolling).   Sure he has to back up  what he says.  From my observations, it is the St. John's posters with the little pot shots and antagonizing.   Not everyone mind you, just a few.   Who the hell cares what i think though?

As you were.

Go St. John's.   Kyle will be wearing Red and White, sorry Hoya.   :)

« Reply #1014 on: August 25, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »
Hoya is certainly welcome to post here just like anyone. Just has to be ready to back up what he says.

You've said a mouthful, Dave.  I don't mind an outsider views.  It can lead to some interesting dialogue.  We call each other out on here when we don't agree, so what excludes him?  Quite frankly, his latest two posts didn't jive, so he was taken to task, per se'.

I think there are some seriously educated fans that post here. The amount of knowledge of what goes on in other programs is outstanding. I often check other websites & message boards to continually try and improve the site here and I'm always leaving impressed by the people here.

I've also went to other boards (non-Big East teams, as well) and the dialogue here easily ranks amongst the top 5 (college hoops boards), if not top 3, when it comes to discussion and knowledge.   
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:26:42 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #1015 on: August 25, 2011, 09:51:24 PM »
Dave is spot on.  Hoyahooligan is more than welcome here.

But if you are going to post you better damn well bring it....LOL!!!

Gumby

« Reply #1016 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but CONGRATULATIONS.   The "ONE THOUSAND REPLY" barrier has now been officially broken!

Does any one know the KA counts on the other four college sites?

« Reply #1017 on: August 25, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »
Not many over at Seton Hall
480 over at Hoyatalk
Does Florida even have a basketball forum?
And crgreen seems to be the only one excited about KA over at Bruinzone. Those guys are ridiculous.

« Reply #1018 on: August 25, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
I am not a fan of Zags and never have been and do not trust his information. Has nothing to do with this recruitment. Never has, probably never will. You can dismiss me for that fact, but that's how I feel about him and I know lots of people who feel that way. He covers the NYC area and plays to his audience. I do not believe he has a different source I think he was just parroting Jerry or his source was. Again I get why you would dismiss my opinion and think me  :idiot2: I get that and don't mind.

The posting of Telep's response was pointing out New information on Kyle that hadn't posted here yet. I was accused of not posting information that wasn't positive for Georgetown. I say so what? And pointed out something that hadn't been posted here yet and was not 100% pro St. John's as a joke. Hence the smiley face.

My point was Jerry's article does not have quotes that say UCLA and St. John's lead he stated it and that is his opinion. It's not really different from Telep. Telep is obviously hearing things from multiple sources as well. He just points out that various sources are saying various things. You dismissing Telep's comments is no different than other fans dismissing things that don't jive with their outlook.

Florida's 247 board has posted a lot of stuff from their mods about how good of a position Florida is in. I don't see many people anywhere outside that board discussing their comments and sources.

I guess I don't get what the big deal is about fans cherry picking information?  Why is that an issue? Why do you care? It doesn't hurt anyone. Fans like to focus on the positives.

As long as all 5 are on the list still getting visits still getting 2 more visits (1 on campus; 1 in home) based on the latest articles. So despite the various sources that are saying different things everyone still has a shot. If fan bases choose to focus on the positive rather than the negative that is their prerogative. Most of the news out there is positive about St. John's. I admit St. John's appears very well situated. So it's hard to know how St. John's fans would react and if they'd post every bit of negative news here.

Not really important. 26/ 25 more days to go. Then this can all be over. Then we can go back to just discussing which team will finish where in the big east.

Poison

« Reply #1019 on: August 25, 2011, 10:03:58 PM »
Not many over at Seton Hall
480 over at Hoyatalk
Does Florida even have a basketball forum?
And crgreen seems to be the only one excited about KA over at Bruinzone. Those guys are ridiculous.

You think that Florida doesn't have enough fans? We can't sell out an arena that's seats 5000 people.