Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies

desco80

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA
« Reply #820 on: February 07, 2012, 01:36:46 PM »

A couple of things...

1) I don't think anybody on this board isn't living in reality Lapchick.  No one here is saying they think we can do damage with the roster as it's currently constituted.  EVERYONE, universally, is saying it's imperative now that coach is able to lockup two of the post players we're involved with, and probably a rotational guard as well.   Look around, people recognize how pivotal a moment this spring recruiting period is for the future of the program.

2) I do think he has a point about a big man.  I think the lack of one could be what keeps this team from make a deep run in either 2013 or 2014.  I'm in complete agreement with those of you who say the game has evolved and there's a higher priority now on being able to get up and down the court, as opposed to pure size, which was the key ingredient in the 80s and early 90s.   But I think what's happened now is that the emphasis is on finding those athletic 6'9 - 6'10 guys who can run the floor and still be a force blocking shots in the paint.  There's no one way to construct a roster, and we've seen smaller teams achieve a lot.  But, personally, i don't think that's a recipe for long term success.  If you look at the teams we've faced; Syracuse, UCONN, Kentucky, Lousiville, Georgetown ... these programs which more or less have sustained success have all changed their rosters to acquire one or two lengthy but athletic big men.   They're a valuable commodity, and there's only a few in every recruiting class I realize that.   But, moving forward we're going to have to find a player that can compete with the Drummonds, Anthony Davises, Melos, Zellers, Hensons and Diengs of college basketball.  Honestly it seems like every quality team has that guy.   THAT is the direction the game is moving in.   And personally even with Sampson and Obekpa, I think those types of players are still going to be huge mismatch problems for us.  And to make a long tourny run you have to have a team that is well-rounded enough to matchup with different opponents.  We'll still play our game, but for stretches you may need to put your shooters out there to stretch a zone, or go big to protect the paint and limit offensive rebounds when you're getting killed in that department.   You need to matchup, and I don't see us being able to.
That's just my opinion, but I think it is a concern for this team if they develop as we think they can.   Going on a run like the undersized WVU and Marquette teams did requires too much luck and favorable matchups. 

3) Next, .. Right or wrong, I think the uncertainty facing the Big East is having a big impact on our recruiting.  Probably a larger role then we realize.   I think the kids should have nothing to worry about because a basketball league with presences in the east coast markets will always draw tv attention.   So Georgetown, SJU, Villanova etc will always have meaningful basketball.  But kids don't always know that, and I think it's a common theme they're hearing from opposing coaches.   THAT .. I don't know how to counter.  But I'm sure Lav has worked on a few lines to rebut it. 

paultzman

« Reply #821 on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »
Memphis State joining conference a big help. Seems likely.

desco80

« Reply #822 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
Memphis State joining conference a big help. Seems likely.

Good point.  I remember Pitino lobbying for them earlier this season.  That will certainly help.   

derk

« Reply #823 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »

A couple of things...

1) I don't think anybody on this board isn't living in reality Lapchick.  No one here is saying they think we can do damage with the roster as it's currently constituted.  EVERYONE, universally, is saying it's imperative now that coach is able to lockup two of the post players we're involved with, and probably a rotational guard as well.   Look around, people recognize how pivotal a moment this spring recruiting period is for the future of the program.

2) I do think he has a point about a big man.  I think the lack of one could be what keeps this team from make a deep run in either 2013 or 2014.  I'm in complete agreement with those of you who say the game has evolved and there's a higher priority now on being able to get up and down the court, as opposed to pure size, which was the key ingredient in the 80s and early 90s.   But I think what's happened now is that the emphasis is on finding those athletic 6'9 - 6'10 guys who can run the floor and still be a force blocking shots in the paint.  There's no one way to construct a roster, and we've seen smaller teams achieve a lot.  But, personally, i don't think that's a recipe for long term success.  If you look at the teams we've faced; Syracuse, UCONN, Kentucky, Lousiville, Georgetown ... these programs which more or less have sustained success have all changed their rosters to acquire one or two lengthy but athletic big men.   They're a valuable commodity, and there's only a few in every recruiting class I realize that.   But, moving forward we're going to have to find a player that can compete with the Drummonds, Anthony Davises, Melos, Zellers, Hensons and Diengs of college basketball.  Honestly it seems like every quality team has that guy.   THAT is the direction the game is moving in.   And personally even with Sampson and Obekpa, I think those types of players are still going to be huge mismatch problems for us.  And to make a long tourny run you have to have a team that is well-rounded enough to matchup with different opponents.  We'll still play our game, but for stretches you may need to put your shooters out there to stretch a zone, or go big to protect the paint and limit offensive rebounds when you're getting killed in that department.   You need to matchup, and I don't see us being able to.
That's just my opinion, but I think it is a concern for this team if they develop as we think they can.   Going on a run like the undersized WVU and Marquette teams did requires too much luck and favorable matchups. 

3) Next, .. Right or wrong, I think the uncertainty facing the Big East is having a big impact on our recruiting.  Probably a larger role then we realize.   I think the kids should have nothing to worry about because a basketball league with presences in the east coast markets will always draw tv attention.   So Georgetown, SJU, Villanova etc will always have meaningful basketball.  But kids don't always know that, and I think it's a common theme they're hearing from opposing coaches.   THAT .. I don't know how to counter.  But I'm sure Lav has worked on a few lines to rebut it.

And in March it becomes much more of a half court game where an intimidating center plays a much more important role.

Marillac

« Reply #824 on: February 07, 2012, 08:20:06 PM »

A couple of things...

And in March it becomes much more of a half court game where an intimidating center plays a much more important role.

It depends on the team.  Kansas, for example, sprinted past every team until they lost to the Carmelo-led Syracuse Orange in the championship game.

MCNPA

« Reply #825 on: February 07, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »

A couple of things...

None of the uncertainty is hurting our recruiting.  We just have been having a bit of a rough patch with the 2012 class.  We're in great shape with 13', 14' classes and on.  Just got caught in a bit if a bad situation this season without optimal recruiting situation this season, nothing more.  It is still imperative we land 2 big forwards or a center. 

« Reply #826 on: February 07, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »

A couple of things...

None of the uncertainty is hurting our recruiting.  We just have been having a bit of a rough patch with the 2012 class.  We're in great shape with 13', 14' classes and on.  Just got caught in a bit if a bad situation this season without optimal recruiting situation this season, nothing more.  It is still imperative we land 2 big forwards or a center.
Not saying coach Lavs is anything like Norm but your post does remind me of the Norm recruiting years when everyone made excuses for the poor present recruiting and promised great riches in the near future and year after year it kept getting pushed back.

Moose

« Reply #827 on: February 07, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »

A couple of things...

Not saying coach Lavs is anything like Norm but your post does remind me of the Norm recruiting years when everyone made excuses for the poor present recruiting and promised great riches in the near future and year after year it kept getting pushed back.

Difference is Lav accomplished more in 1 year than Norm did in 6.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #828 on: February 07, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »

[/quote]

In two years, if Calhoun has retired, and/or UCONN has bolted; which are both increasingly likely... our conference is a shell of itself.   It's still a good league and we're far from being irrelevant, but opposing coaches see the writing on the wall.  The Big East is on the ropes, and if UCONN falls down we'll find ourselves in the 5th or 6th best conference in the country.  Not terrible, but a far cry from what we have been. 

Memphis helps, as would Temple.  But neither of them replace a Syracuse, Pitt, or diminished UCONN program.  Maybe Memphis washes out the West Virginia loss.  But that's about it. 

In the long run I'm not worried about coach's health or loyalty to the program, or his ability to recruit.  He'll get recruits here, you can guarantee that.  But the changing Big East is a real concern IMO.

MCNPA

« Reply #829 on: February 07, 2012, 11:07:05 PM »

In two years, if Calhoun has retired, and/or UCONN has bolted; which are both increasingly likely... our conference is a shell of itself.   It's still a good league and we're far from being irrelevant, but opposing coaches see the writing on the wall.  The Big East is on the ropes, and if UCONN falls down we'll find ourselves in the 5th or 6th best conference in the country.  Not terrible, but a far cry from what we have been. 

Memphis helps, as would Temple.  But neither of them replace a Syracuse, Pitt, or diminished UCONN program.  Maybe Memphis washes out the West Virginia loss.  But that's about it. 

In the long run I'm not worried about coach's health or loyalty to the program, or his ability to recruit.  He'll get recruits here, you can guarantee that.  But the changing Big East is a real concern IMO.
[/quote]

You're wrong on a few levels.  There are a lot of schools capable of playing good ball beside Uconn.  Louisville, Nova, Marquette, Georgetown and now teams like SJU, Rutgers, providence and other stepping in with quality coaches. 

Memphis certainly can replace a Pitt.  Pitt dominated in our league, but outside of beating big east teams and being a PIA for us, they have done little in the NCAA tourney.  Memphis is also top 10 in attendance and fan support and draw more fans than Pitt or WVU.  They are a quality program with fantastic fan support.  Temple is one spot behind Syracuse in All-time wins and are well ahead of SJU.  They are a power bball player if they ever join the league.

Others like Houston, UCF and SMU might take a little time, but UCF isn't bad and neither is Houston.  Houston actually has a rich basketball tradition back to Olajuwon, Drexler etc and have a few final fours and a national championship appearance. 

I think your are entirely overstating the loss of these teams.  Don't forget, Syracuse isn't going to have a 900-win coach for much longer in Boeheim who is set to retire real soon.  We look at it as a huge loss, but is it?  BOEHEIM Boeheim-coached Cuse is a huge loss.  A mike Hopkins coached Cuse is not.

This league can easily replace Pitt and WVU with Memphis and Temple.  I actually think Memphis and Temple are better.  The loss of Cuse will be blunted when they lose Boeheim to retirement.  The real key is teams like Uconn and Louisville hiring top notch coaches when Calhoun and Pitino leave.  Kevin Ollie isn't going to cut it.  They should go after a Brad Stevens or even a Sean Miller.

NYCoffey

« Reply #830 on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
It looks like he left Phelps  and is playing ball for Stonebridge prep school in Cali. this is a tweet regarding Findlay preps game vs. Stonebridge from the Findlay coach.

todd simon ‏ @CoachTsimon

Retweet
    Favorite
    ยท Open

"@PremierBall: 2013 Norvel Pelle with 7 pts 5 blks, 6 rebs and 5 fouls. #Findlay" he's going to be a defensive factor next year! D instincts

Poison

« Reply #831 on: February 24, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
He's going to dominate next season as a 6th year high school player. His nickname can be "Mister"

pmg911

« Reply #832 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:27 AM »
So this kid graduated from high school in June of 2011 and is doing a prep year this year and re-classifies to 2013..?

I know the coaches that will end up recruting him don't care but what a joke, the kid will be 20 - 21 entering college.

Happy

« Reply #833 on: February 24, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »
So this kid graduated from high school in June of 2011 and is doing a prep year this year and re-classifies to 2013..?

I know the coaches that will end up recruting him don't care but what a joke, the kid will be 20 - 21 entering college.

I asked premierball about the 2013 listing and he said he made a mistake. Pelle is still a 2012 kid provided he gets the grades.

NYCoffey

« Reply #834 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »

I know the coaches that will end up recruiting him don't care but what a joke, the kid will be 20 - 21 entering college.

After the extra year of classes I would hope he can at least get into a partial qualifying school or possibly he will just go to Europe. I don't know if he would be able to make it in the D league.

MCNPA

« Reply #835 on: February 24, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »
I still think he'll be a JUCO but who knows.

LJSA

« Reply #836 on: February 24, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »
I think he'll do nothing for a while, and eventually end up playing D-II in San Francisco with the Academy of Art University Urban Knights.

desco80

« Reply #837 on: February 27, 2012, 08:37:06 PM »
Iowa State now in the mix for Pelle..

Former St Johns commit Norvel Pelle is scheduled to visit Iowa St next week.

https://twitter.com/#!/NealNieves/status/173500440560939008

But Nieves also says Pelle isn't likely to make a decision till May.   I'm guessing that's because Pelle needs to know where he stands academically. 

NYCoffey

« Reply #838 on: February 28, 2012, 10:17:47 AM »
http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/2012_big_man_norvel_pelle_will_officially_visit/10158436

according to Beard, is considering Iowa State, San Diego State, UNLV, UTEP, LSU and UConn

ras

« Reply #839 on: February 28, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
If hes considering UCONN {east coast} Why are we out  w him. Even though he is an academic risk what would we have to loose w him, we have plenty of scholis, unless Lavin thinks he has a bad attitude.