Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies

jr49

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA
« Reply #680 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »
He actually just tweeted it:

Pelle made the news official on his Twitter page Wednesday morning: "Word is out I decommitted which is true I jus want to thnk all the st johns fan for there support and luv yall showed me."
I wouldn't wish any of these kids bad luck, but the luv yall stuff is crap. You coming here to play or your not. The guy he ought to have a word with is the guy who was willing to bring him here and those who time he wasted.

SJU79

« Reply #681 on: November 16, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
Like I said earlier and what some people here seem to know is  this kid needs some help and hopefully he gets it before he gets too lost because from all who know him he's not a bad kid. Sometimes when your this talented teachers/adults fail to assess these kids and evaluate (life not hoops) them properly and be honest about the kind of help they might need.

sju89tr

« Reply #682 on: November 16, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
Lay off talking badly about Norvel. It is clear he is at odds with what he wants to do. I do not think we are going to be his destination even if he still lists us. We weren't the right place for him, we need to move on. No one has the right to bash a young kid just for the sake of a basketball team.   

« Reply #683 on: November 16, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
Yea pointless bashing a kid. Honestly despite all the talent it's addition by subtraction anyways. Emotionally he would have added bad chemistry to this team as I noted before. The guys on the team now have passion, real passion and Pelle doesn't. He's a good kid who's a little lost right now. I really hope he figures out what he wants out of life.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gman

« Reply #684 on: November 16, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
This goes back to the staff needing to recruit kids that can qualify.  Are we going to be in the same boat with Woods?  Now we have no big men coming next year.  Huge hole in the roster.  The staff needs to earn their money and hit the recruiting trail hard. 

« Reply #685 on: November 16, 2011, 08:12:25 PM »
A few months ago we looked amazing ont he recrutign trail now with these decomitts and most halfway decent 2012 prospects gonw our rebuilding might go on for a few more years and we may have celebrated lavins great sucess prematurely..

let's hope not but its not looking good right now

MCNPA

« Reply #686 on: November 16, 2011, 08:35:34 PM »
Like I said earlier and what some people here seem to know is  this kid needs some help and hopefully he gets it before he gets too lost because from all who know him he's not a bad kid. Sometimes when your this talented teachers/adults fail to assess these kids and evaluate (life not hoops) them properly and be honest about the kind of help they might need.

Actually, our staff gave him as much help as they could, trying to get him qualified.  The kid takes a year to figure out now in November that he doesn't want to come here?  C'mon.  We need more kids like Amir, Pointer, Wood who have heart and put in the time.  Pelle doesn't seem to want to put in the time knot off the court.  In the end he's doing himself a disservice.  As I said before, he wasn't going to find a place that would give him the support on and off the court that SJU would.  To each his own.  I'll take another God's gift if I can find one somewhere.

Dan

« Reply #687 on: November 16, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
You can say addition by subtraction but it was wrong of him, teen or not, to jerk this staff around when they could have been recruiting students who actually wanted to go here.

« Reply #688 on: November 16, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
we need to chill a little bit.  i think we all got spoiled with all the commitments, but now we're getting hit with a dose of reality.  even lav said last year that recruiting wise he was surprisingly ahead of schedule. if i remember correctly, i think he said at least 3 or so years before he reached the level recruits that he aspired to get.  i still think we're way ahead of schedule with a solid core right now.  but consistently signing good players like we did this past year is not the norm (at least not immediately).  it will take time.

« Reply #689 on: November 16, 2011, 11:35:52 PM »
You can say addition by subtraction but it was wrong of him, teen or not, to jerk this staff around when they could have been recruiting students who actually wanted to go here.

The staff is very aware of everything. You have to roll the dice in recruiting sometimes if you want to make a quick leap. It worked 7 out of 9 times for the staff. I like those odds.

« Reply #690 on: November 16, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »
we need to chill a little bit.  i think we all got spoiled with all the commitments, but now we're getting hit with a dose of reality.  even lav said last year that recruiting wise he was surprisingly ahead of schedule. if i remember correctly, i think he said at least 3 or so years before he reached the level recruits that he aspired to get.  i still think we're way ahead of schedule with a solid core right now.  but consistently signing good players like we did this past year is not the norm (at least not immediately).  it will take time.

An understandable post.  But, it would be different had we were in the running for these kids and lost out on 'em to another school.  The fact that these players committed and then decommited makes the pill tough to swallow.

Lavin seemed to be ahead of schedule, but that can happen in sports (especially, in college basketball).  It doesn't take long to get back on track in college hoops and we are still well on our way.  We've hit a speed bump, but I see that bump smoothing out in the spring.

MCNPA

« Reply #691 on: November 16, 2011, 11:47:53 PM »

The staff is very aware of everything. You have to roll the dice in recruiting sometimes if you want to make a quick leap. It worked 7 out of 9 times for the staff. I like those odds.

To reiterate what Dave is saying, Lavin is one of the best recruiters in the country.  He takes risks at times but to be great one must do so.  You can also rest assured that he isn't taking this stuff as personally as us fans are.  I'm sure this stuff puts him in a bind at times tool, but he knows the nature of the beast as well as any. 

I personally would rather see Lavin take some risks and miss on them than settle for lower tier players.  We've had lower tier.  Been there and done that.    We aren't far off from having a really loaded roster.  A few setbacks isn't going to stop us from making some high quality additions when all is said and done in the 2012 class.

ris

« Reply #693 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »
NY isn't for everyone. A lot of people are afraid of it.

True.
Perhaps we should recruit more metropolitan players.

MCNPA

« Reply #694 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »

True.

We are recruiting metro area players, and quite successfully but not in the 2012 class.

ris

« Reply #695 on: November 17, 2011, 01:52:51 AM »

True.

We are recruiting metro area players, and quite successfully but not in the 2012 class.

I only see Moe Harkless.

MCNPA

« Reply #696 on: November 17, 2011, 06:59:41 AM »

True.

I only see Moe Harkless.

We are recruiting some for 12'-15' classes and likely lead for a few.  I have no problem recruiting the country.  I think it's the best way.  Need some NYC talent for sure but we have a nice core of talent, much of which is from outside NY.  Our decommits are mainly due to shoddy academics, otherwise those kids would be playing right now at sju.  I hope Lavin keeps doing exactly what he's been doing. 

I'd love jermaine Lawrence and Wainright in 2013 and think we have a good shot at them.  One from NY and one not.  Get the best talent that wants to play here.

Poison

« Reply #697 on: November 17, 2011, 08:28:14 AM »
It's not a question of where a player is from.
Andy Pettitte is from Texas. Mariano Rivera is from Panama.

I'm talking about having the onions to compete on the big stage.
Some guys have it, and some don't. If Norvel Pelle feels more comfortable
playing under the sunshine in San Diego, than I say go and enjoy it.

We're building something much bigger than that, and we're building it in NY.

Moose

« Reply #698 on: November 17, 2011, 08:39:46 AM »
It's not a question of where a player is from.
Andy Pettitte is from Texas. Mariano Rivera is from Panama.

I'm talking about having the onions to compete on the big stage.
Some guys have it, and some don't. If Norvel Pelle feels more comfortable
playing under the sunshine in San Diego, than I say go and enjoy it.

We're building something much bigger than that, and we're building it in NY.

A positive post from you.
Do you have a fever? :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #699 on: November 22, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »
TheRecruitScoop Alex Kline
Former St. John's commit Norvel Pelle, a 2012 center from Phelps (PA), is attending the Red Storm's game tonight, per @TheoRabinowitz.