Brian Bernardi - SG - Xaverian HS - Brooklyn, NY - SMU

• 148 replies
Re: Brian Bernardi - SG - Xaverian HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 08:31:44 PM »
As Moose knows, I have been saying for a while we should recruit Bernardi. Type of knock down shooter every team needs. You don't win consistently unless you have kids that can knock down the 3. To me it just makes sense.

Here is a kid, right in our backyard, that is lethal. Why not take advantage? I really hope Lavin gets out to watch him this summer and offers if he likes what he sees.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:50:09 PM by SJUhoopNUT »

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 08:53:12 PM »
I don't know anything about Bernardi but it amazes me the criticism leveled at Kyle Anderson, a player ranked as high as overall #5 in his class.  He has proven himself against every level of competition he has played.  He is going to be a fantastic college player.  God, I hope we get him!

I wanna stay on topic here and keep the focus on Bernardi.  I've witnessed Anderson play several times over the past couple of years (Peach Jam) and he has MORE than held his own against very good talent.  IMO, he is the kid I want the most, whom we're targeting, out of the 2012 class.  The kid is a player....  Plain and simple.

I'm looking forward to witnessing Anderson, Gathers, Thomas and Bernardi at the Peach Jam in a little over a month.  Never know....  That could end up being our 2012 class.   :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:36:31 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »
I can't find this kid on any top 150 list.
Seems like a Norm recruit.
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
Go check and see where Jimmer Fredette was ranked coming out of high school. If a coach lives and dies with rankings he'll be in trouble.

You're way off base. Still relying on Big East Briefs?

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »
I don't think Lavin lives and dies on ranking, but then again Brooklyn is not going to close the deal. It would appear we now recruit nationally.

gonzalo

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 04:19:09 AM »
Agree with JPM and Rico on this one.  All athletic teams like ours have a place for pure shooters that can come off screens and take the heat off the slashers/drivers.  He's not totally unathletic, but much like JJ Redick, in the right system, he doesn't need to be a gazelle like the rest of the guys.  He needs to sneak into a corner and shoot the ball or come off a screen and either shoot or draw defenders out.  I like him and I think he'd be a great fit for this team.

I agree.

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with JPM114. After watching Brian in a dozen or more games he has displayed abilities that have highlighted his game above his excellent shooting ability. Those who view him as a one dimensional player have not been paying attention to his passing and defense both on and off the ball. Those who keep bringing up the past failures of recruits that were not 100-150 players are not taking into account the background and savvy of our current staff. 

sju89tr

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
Even if he turns out to be just a shooter (which i doubt with his development), what can go wrong with giving him the 13th scholarship?

Moose

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »
Even if he turns out to be just a shooter (which i doubt with his development), what can go wrong with giving him the 13th scholarship?

Exactly.  Never mean to speak down to anyone but he is the PERFECT 13th player on these teams we are building.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »

Exactly.  Never mean to speak down to anyone but he is the PERFECT 13th player on these teams we are building.

Coach K recruits shooters to come in as walkons because they are invaluable during practice.  Worst case scenario, this kid takes us thd 13th spot and stretches pratices and makes our defense work on rotations. 

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
As of this moment, we have 2 scholarships to give next year.
Raise your hand if you want Bernardi to be one of those 2.
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
Tom obviously I vote yes. If the two players turn out to be Kyle and Brian, that's great because they will work together beautifully. If it's Brian and a player Kyle's size who plays a bit more on the box, that works too because it balances the offense (inside outside balance)

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »
I'd take Bernardi over Gathers. Bernardi already does something great, and at a high level.

What exactly is great about Gathers? OK he's 6'6 and built like a truck. Thats fine, but undersized power fowards are a dime a dozen.

Also, I always question the potential of a kid built like Gathers. His game on the high school/AAU level seems to be built on muscle and being dominant around the basket, using his strength to his advantage. Wonder how that translates to the next level.

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 05:39:03 PM »
I'd take Bernardi over Gathers. Bernardi already does something great, and at a high level.

What exactly is great about Gathers? OK he's 6'6 and built like a truck. Thats fine, but undersized power fowards are a dime a dozen.

Also, I always question the potential of a kid built like Gathers. His game on the high school/AAU level seems to be built on muscle and being dominant around the basket, using his strength to his advantage. Wonder how that translates to the next level.

i dont think kids with gathers physical package are quite a dime a dozen
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
Tom obviously I vote yes. If the two players turn out to be Kyle and Brian, that's great because they will work together beautifully. If it's Brian and a player Kyle's size who plays a bit more on the box, that works too because it balances the offense (inside outside balance)

onions John, onions.
Fire Mullin.

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »

onions John, onions.

I kinda agree with him.  I love the ability to shoot and score.  SJU has been an abysmal scoring and shooting team since before I can remember.  Last year was the first year we saw some decent shooting games.  As it stands we have very athletic centers, plenty of PG options, wings and the like.  We have a great PG in Jevon coming in for 2012.  I'd have no trouble taking Bernardi with the roster we have right now.  Like JPM says, add one more 4/5 type that can offer us in the mold that we are building and I think we'll be great.  Gathers is an undersized PF, and I think we have the ability now to recruit certain needs for us where a guy like Gathers, albeit highly ranked, is not exactly what we might need.  In fact I like Kamari Murphy's length, shotblocking ability and height better.  I think we can do even better than Murphy, but overall I prefer the longer players we've been buiding our team with.  2012 class we can fill the gaps with specialty players and make this team watertight. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:54:06 PM by MCNPA »

Gumby

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 12:35:44 AM »
Brian reminds me a bit of a kid we had out here at ASU, Rik Kuksiks.  Remember, we went after him four year ago.  Rik came in and gave ASU some instant offense.  Unfortunately, this year I believe Coach S. gave Rik too much PT.  We exposed his lack of defense in the Alaska Shoot Out, and so did the other teams this year.  He seemed to get his 3 pointer, but gave up 6 points.

From what the posters have stated, Brian probably has a better defensive game than Rik had.

Having a squad with 13 guys who want to start may not be the best thing.  Some support (or role) players may be needed in the 12th and 13th roster positions.

MCNPA

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 01:11:19 AM »
Brian reminds me a bit of a kid we had out here at ASU, Rik Kuksiks.  Remember, we went after him four year ago.  Rik came in and gave ASU some instant offense.  Unfortunately, this year I believe Coach S. gave Rik too much PT.  We exposed his lack of defense in the Alaska Shoot Out, and so did the other teams this year.  He seemed to get his 3 pointer, but gave up 6 points.

From what the posters have stated, Brian probably has a better defensive game than Rik had.

Having a squad with 13 guys who want to start may not be the best thing.  Some support (or role) players may be needed in the 12th and 13th roster positions.

1). We need 1 or two "glue" guys as well.  It's important.

2). What does Jim Boeheim do to cove up some of his slower defenders inadequacies?  He plays the 2-3 zone.  We play lots of zones and can more than cover for one guy when he's on the floor because we will rarely if ever play man-D all game.

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »
May Brian be the first of many more recruits from the CHSAA during the Lavin era.

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 11:47:50 AM »
As of this moment, we have 2 scholarships to give next year.
Raise your hand if you want Bernardi to be one of those 2.

Currently there is 3 open scholarships for next season. After this season there may be more. You, anyone, or myself can't predict how things will shake out with current roster.

It's great the staff is aware of a kid who's on the rise, fits a need, and is in their backyard.

I'm assuming based on a few of your posts in this thread you are against the idea of Brian Bernardi. Am I correct? If so explain.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle