Stith

• 60 replies

Poison

Re: Stith
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 04:29:20 PM »
He reminds me a lot of Eugene Lawrence. I think they are practically the same player. Stith has to work on not standing around and dribbling until the shot clock is about to expire and then chucking up an off balance shot.

Moose

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »
It's more of his handle in the half-court that I don't like.

Yeah....  It's also his outside shot and his tentativeness.

Lack of confidence.
Deer in headlights look when he's in and the game is tight.  3 solid moments last year- ASU, Bonny and CUSE in the BET.  Could 'maybe' say St. Mary's game and FT's at the end but the game was never really in doubt.
Otherwise in the garbage time appearances he was loose and it showed as he racked up some numbers.
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 06:51:20 PM »
He reminds me a lot of Eugene Lawrence. I think they are practically the same player. Stith has to work on not standing around and dribbling until the shot clock is about to expire and then chucking up an off balance shot.
took the words from my mouth. Thats who I compare him to for sure.

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
Although he may not as much talent as the guys coming in, he will get time just because he is the only point guard on the team that knows the plays and system that Lavin has implemented so far. Everyone else has to start from scratch.

Also, lets see how a full off season of being able to work with Hines turns out.

But these players coming in were brought in because they fit the system.  Stith was hammering a square peg into a circle no matter how you slice it.

Moose, I agree that the players were brought in because they fit the system. However, they don't know the plays yet. Stith does.

Now do I think he is going to be our best player. Absolutely not. But I do think he will get a decent amount of minutes (at least for our OCC games). Once Lindsey and Harrison start learning the plays more, I do see his minutes going down.

kjd01067

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »

Moose, I agree that the players were brought in because they fit the system. However, they don't know the plays yet. Stith does.

Now do I think he is going to be our best player. Absolutely not. But I do think he will get a decent amount of minutes (at least for our OCC games). Once Lindsey and Harrison start learning the plays more, I do see his minutes going down.

This isn't football the playbook isn't 300 pgs thick.  Our offense is based on a fast break and then a motion offense.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to learn it.

boo3

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »
  I'm with Johnny and  Marillac.    I think you guys are short changing Stith a bit.  He'll have a good season.  I don't see the Lawrence comparison at all.  Lawrence played 40 minutes a night and did nothing.  If Stith played that much i'm convinced he's be much better than Geno.  He won't have to though, and thats a good thing.  15 -20 minutes a night he can be a valuable contributor.  We'll see who's right.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
  I'm with Johnny and  Marillac.    I think you guys are short changing Stith a bit.  He'll have a good season.  I don't see the Lawrence comparison at all.  Lawrence played 40 minutes a night and did nothing.  If Stith played that much i'm convinced he's be much better than Geno.  He won't have to though, and thats a good thing.  15 -20 minutes a night he can be a valuable contributor.  We'll see who's right.

If he's getting 15-20 minutes a night than one of the newcomers who everyone pretty much thinks are better than him will not be happy with minutes.  Someone mentioned 8 minutes earlier and I thought that was a stretch.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »
Fordham took Stith's lunch money. He's not better than Geno. At least not right now. He may improve to the point of becoming a serviceable back up, but our season is in serious jeopardy if he's playing major minutes after November.

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »
Having a veteran point guard could be invaluable especially against pressing teams like Louisville.  If he sees major minutes though we are in trouble, but as a backup he can come in and get a game under control if the Freshmen struggle.

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »
Fordham took Stith's lunch money. He's not better than Geno. At least not right now. He may improve to the point of becoming a serviceable back up, but our season is in serious jeopardy if he's playing major minutes after November.
I agree re Geno.  He could handle big guards and rebounded like a forward.  He had trouble with quickness and played way too many minutes to be effective at what he did well.  Probably one of the most durable PGs we've ever had though.  I can't recall him ever missing time due to injury.  He also had no supporting cast whatsoever after Cjac left.  So many times he had to bring it up totally alone and them still got stuck shooting when the clock ran out.  You'll never see bodies bouncing off Stith like they did with Geno.  I'm happy to hear he's still making $$$ playing.  He got a raw deal here due to Norm Roberts misuse IMO.

Gumby

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 01:28:05 PM »
Coach Lavin will probably use the first ten games to test all of the players, like he did this year.

The playing time moving forward for Stith and the rest of the squad will depend on these early games.  If our three incoming guards play like heck, that will squeeze Stith's PT.

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
I see Stith as creating defensive pressure on guards, draining therir legs while our freshmen are getting instruction from Dunlap and Rico and Tony et al.  We are getting closer to 40 minutes of hell capability.

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
For the 2011-12 season, the way I see it for now is we have 4 guys (Lindsey, Harrison, Greene and Stith) to mainly play 2 guard positions.

IMO, at least for now, Garrett, Sampson and Harkless will not see a lot (if any) minutes at the 2 spot. They will get their minutes at the 3/4 along with Pointer and Polee.

If this is the case, I can see Stith getting 15-20 mins a game. At least until Lindsey and/or Greene play that much better than him in games. I don't know why most of you don't see that.

For the 2012-13 season, I see it completly different. Unless one of the guards becomes a one and done, I do see a log jam at the Guard spots and someone isn't going to be happy.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 03:50:51 PM »

The shot looks fine to me...he's not a pure shooter, but I think he'll be very capable and I would expect to see him be asked to shoot 2-3 per game from behind the arch and have a couple screens called for him from 15-17 to curl and shoot.

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 04:05:58 PM »
The shot looks fine to me...he's not a pure shooter, but I think he'll be very capable and I would expect to see him be asked to shoot 2-3 per game from behind the arch and have a couple screens called for him from 15-17 to curl and shoot.

Yeah, his shot looks fine....  The end result usually doesn't.  He'll have to consistently show me he can hit those shots.  I saw no semblance of consistency in Stith hitting those kinda shots (you're speaking of).

Unfortunately, I saw a kid who was too tentative and usually looked like he saw the image of Lucifer whenever he looked at the basket.  I hope he does come around, but I'm not sold on it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:06:43 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 04:33:07 PM »

Are you sure he is not a pure shooter-I see Steve Kerr or JJ Riddick! ??? ??? ???

kjd01067

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »

If this is the case, I can see Stith getting 15-20 mins a game. At least until Lindsey and/or Greene play that much better than him in games. I don't know why most of you don't see that.

I just don't see him playing that many minutes.  Lavin is building his team on length and athleticism and Stith lacks in both those categories.  I see more like 10 mins a game for Stith

sju89tr

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »

If he's getting 15-20 minutes a night than one of the newcomers who everyone pretty much thinks are better than him will not be happy with minutes.  Someone mentioned 8 minutes earlier and I thought that was a stretch.

I said 8, and I think it will be more like 5, I dont see Lavin taking away minutes from his recruits and the future of STJ for Stith who is just average at the BE level

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 11:21:31 AM »
Stith is okay but I will be real disappointed if he's logging starter minutes.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »
On the bright side we'll never see the Boothe and Stith combo on the court at the same time ever again. That used to drive me nuts!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle