Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

NYCoffey

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY - CINCINNATI
« Reply #1300 on: February 04, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »
2 years ago and last year we had a ridiculous amount of scholarships and playing time to offer. Now we don't, so players aren't going to commit as easily as they have. Seems pretty obvious to me. O for 6 sucks but its understandable. 2014 and 2015 is when schollies and playing time opens up. This is when Lavin will do well.

redslope

« Reply #1301 on: February 04, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »
2 years ago and last year we had a ridiculous amount of scholarships and playing time to offer. Now we don't, so players aren't going to commit as easily as they have. Seems pretty obvious to me. O for 6 sucks but its understandable. 2014 and 2015 is when schollies and playing time opens up. This is when Lavin will do well.

Agree--this is different level of player than Norm went after (and Jarvis twiddles his fingers until they kissed his ring).  The players are at a top level and they are top dogs on their top level HS/AAU teams so PT is what counts first; not a long term learning/growth position.  With Coach's predecessors, the level of recruit was a stretch major level, thankful for the chance to be in the BE and around for the 4 years.  Kentucky would not be able to recruit like they do if players were not one and done with plenty of PT for incoming freshmen to show their stuff and leave.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:53:17 PM by redslope »

desco80

« Reply #1302 on: February 04, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
O for 6 sucks but its understandable

Yep, that's how I see it too.   

Hang in there Boo, being a fan here is no different than any other team, it's just so easy as a fan to get too high when we win and too low when we lose.   It reminds me of Jerome calling wfan to fire Girardi or Torre after a 2 game losing streak in April.    :D

Think of it as a good sign that we're so close.  When you're  1-7 there's no difference of opinion - you stink, and the players and coach should both probably go.   But when you're a game or two away from being a contender everybody has an opinion on what to do to get over the hump

boo3

« Reply #1303 on: February 04, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »
 Haha.. Having a board full of Jerome from Manhattans is not a good thing...  Or Joe D from Brooklyn... trust me on that one.. ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:15:11 PM by boo3 »

Tiznow

« Reply #1304 on: February 04, 2013, 09:55:56 PM »

And if Moe came back it would have been 0-7.  These kids want a lot of minutes from the start. 

« Reply #1305 on: February 04, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
Haha.. Having a board full of Jerome from Manhattans is not a good thing...  Or Joe D from Brooklyn... trust me on that one.. ;)

Correction...Its now Joe D from Staten Island..he announced it to the Schmooze a few weeks back.... :)

« Reply #1306 on: February 05, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
You guys aren't understanding. Lavin will not chase a recruit plain and simple. Get down or lay down-KOB

I don't really get involved in commenting on recruiting for the simple reason that I do not follow HS basketball. I do have a question though. Some of you are applauding coach for not "chasing" recruits. Now I do not have a problem with that either, but didn't some of you kill Jarvis for same approach? What is the difference?

Jarvis sat idle and expected recruits to come to him. Lavin is more calculated in his approach of targeting recruits.

-If Lav has no shot at a recruit he's not going to go after him
-If a recruit becomes to high maintenance he's distancing himself
-If a recruit has too many outside influences that become problematic he's distancing himself

Lawrence handler had a lot of demands. I don't want to say too much but one example is his handler is already fishing for TV deals for a reality show on Jermaine going to the draft. Ironically Cincy has some experience with this kind of thing.

it's a matter of style.  jarvis brought in mcdonald's aa's...plus many of the best local players.  lavin goes after espn 100's...but doesn't touch the five star players.

jarvis' problem is the players usually regressed because he didn't have the coaches who could make them improve.  maybe it was money, i don't know.  lavin's players get better.  maybe not at the free throw or three point lines...but they get better.

btw, where's hicks in all this?  i thought he was here to close deals.

Poison

« Reply #1307 on: February 05, 2013, 09:08:58 AM »
You guys aren't understanding. Lavin will not chase a recruit plain and simple. Get down or lay down-KOB

I don't really get involved in commenting on recruiting for the simple reason that I do not follow HS basketball. I do have a question though. Some of you are applauding coach for not "chasing" recruits. Now I do not have a problem with that either, but didn't some of you kill Jarvis for same approach? What is the difference?

Jarvis sat idle and expected recruits to come to him. Lavin is more calculated in his approach of targeting recruits.

-If a recruit has too many outside influences that become problematic he's distancing himself

Lawrence handler had a lot of demands. I don't want to say too much but one example is his handler is already fishing for TV deals for a reality show on Jermaine going to the draft. Ironically Cincy has some experience with this kind of thing.

it's a matter of style.  jarvis brought in mcdonald's aa's...plus many of the best local players.  lavin goes after espn 100's...but doesn't touch the five star players.

jarvis' problem is the players usually regressed because he didn't have the coaches who could make them improve.  maybe it was money, i don't know.  lavin's players get better.  maybe not at the free throw or three point lines...but they get better.

Jarvis recruited AN McDonald's AA.

Moose

« Reply #1308 on: February 05, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »

Ingram was right?
Were Cook and Miles?  Not that Miles means anything really.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #1309 on: February 05, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »
Oh yea, Ingram.

paultzman

« Reply #1310 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »

Ingram was right?
Were Cook and Miles?  Not that Miles means anything really.

Cook yes

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:10:55 AM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #1311 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »
Confirmed Miles was too.

paultzman

« Reply #1312 on: February 05, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »
Confirmed Miles was too.

Amazing three PGs  from NYC on Cook's team.

sju89tr

« Reply #1313 on: February 05, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
I really never thought of Miles as a Johnnie only because we all knew from DAY 1 that he would never play for us

boo3

« Reply #1314 on: February 05, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
I really never thought of Miles as a Johnnie only because we all knew from DAY 1 that he would never play for us

Ture. I do remember being so excited though with the possibility of Cook -> Miles for a year or two.  In retrospect, can't fault Miles.  He went 3rd that draft, i think.   Injuries derailed his career.  I  thought he was the next Kevin Garnett. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #1315 on: February 05, 2013, 01:15:31 PM »

2015 will be a ridiculous recruiting class for us. Lavin's first couple of classes was get the best he could. 2015 class he will have recruited kids for 3-4 years and have playing time to give, he's gonna land some gems. That's when our program goes to a new level. As much as I would like to see them succeed now, building a program that all it had going for it was reputation was going to take some time. When you consider Lavin wasn't on the recruiting trails when he took over the program, it was going to take some time. Look how long it took for Crean to turn around Indiana and he wasn't MIA for 7 years.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:16:22 PM by STJFAN »

Moose

« Reply #1316 on: February 05, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »

2015 will be a ridiculous recruiting class for us. Lavin's first couple of classes was get the best he could. 2015 class he will have recruited kids for 3-4 years and have playing time to give, he's gonna land some gems. That's when our program goes to a new level. As much as I would like to see them succeed now, building a program that all it had going for it was reputation was going to take some time. When you consider Lavin wasn't on the recruiting trails when he took over the program, it was going to take some time. Look how long it took for Crean to turn around Indiana and he wasn't MIA for 7 years.   

15 has the potential to be huge.

But please lets stop with the Crean comparisons.  Two totally different situations and Lavin's was easier than Crean's.

paultzman

« Reply #1317 on: February 05, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »

But please lets stop with the Crean comparisons.  Two totally different situations and Lavin's was easier than Crean's.

It appears we are positioned well for 15, but would not assume anything. In the past certain assumptions about players being near locks for SJU, like Chris McCullough and Corey Fisher, have not come to fruition. That said, from feedback from KOB and others, I sense we could fare well if staff continues to work their tails off. All of those allowed to recruit must be out there constantly to bring home stellar 14 & 15 players.

SJUFAN

« Reply #1318 on: February 05, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »

Disagree Lavin's was easier. Lavin had to fill 9-10 ships while being away from the recruiting trail for 7 years. Every coach and their momma had better relationships with recruits then Lavin including Crean. Now once Lavin filled those spots, that situation doesn't leave much room for the next couple of years as we have seen. Indiana was a national program when Crean took over, regardless of there issues. When you have a coach with the reputation Crean has, recruits, and their handlers, over look those issues when your a national brand, which Indiana is. We have history, but our programs footprint is more regional, which will change under Lavin.

« Reply #1319 on: February 05, 2013, 01:34:33 PM »

Was lavins really easier?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.