Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1760 on: April 11, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
i am happy but just get him eligible.  st. john's is now a pre season top 25 team in d'angelo comes back

I hear this being brought up...Are there any issues with his eligibility or is this being stated due to our recent track record?

Poison

« Reply #1761 on: April 11, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »
Those that have seen him play what player would you compare his game to?

A little tyshawn taylor in him.

Thank you

paultzman

« Reply #1763 on: April 11, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »
Nothing else to say other than, good work Lavin! He has reaffirmed his reputation (for me anyway) of being a master recruiter. Getting these great late pickups really makes him THE closer! Mariano Lavin anyone?

If anyone wants a good laugh, get some popcorn and peruse the Bruin/Owls boards. Funny how UCLA fans act like Lavin is some bum and he just stole their prized recruit after being fired there hah! Man that has to sting like salt on an open wound. Now let's just pray Harrison stays.

By the way, the poor kid is getting HAMMERED on twitter (not that it wasn't expected). He is even tweeting things like "So you try to put salt on my name like a slug?" and "Some of you Temple fans aren't even from Philly!". He seems so excited to be part of the SJ family...can't wait to see him play.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:46:37 PM by RedStormyNight »

mkras99

« Reply #1764 on: April 11, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »
anyone?

“@ReggieRankin: Jordan propels St. John's into contention http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=mens-college-basketballrumors&i=TWT&id=3292&w=1csaq&src=desktop

Five-star point guard Rysheed Jordan (Philadelphia/Vaux), ranked No. 22 in the class of 2013, committed to St. John's this morning. The commitment is a massive pick-up for Steve Lavin and company, especially given that UCLA and Temple were thought to be ahead in the race as recently as two-and-a-half weeks ago.

Because the Red Storm return all their major contributors, scholarships were scarce. To land Jordan with one of them is very impressive and speaks to the job Lavin is doing on the recruiting trail. Juniors will make up most of a team that will be expected to make the NCAA tournament next year but Jordan will greatly help the cause. The Philadelphia native can compete for a starting spot immediately and become a floor leader in his first year. St. John's is in good position to compete near the top of the new Big East in 2013-14.

paultzman

« Reply #1765 on: April 11, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
anyone?

“@ReggieRankin: Jordan propels St. John's into contention http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=mens-college-basketballrumors&i=TWT&id=3292&w=1csaq&src=desktop

Five-star point guard Rysheed Jordan (Philadelphia/Vaux), ranked No. 22 in the class of 2013, committed to St. John's this morning. The commitment is a massive pick-up for Steve Lavin and company, especially given that UCLA and Temple were thought to be ahead in the race as recently as two-and-a-half weeks ago.

Because the Red Storm return all their major contributors, scholarships were scarce. To land Jordan with one of them is very impressive and speaks to the job Lavin is doing on the recruiting trail. Juniors will make up most of a team that will be expected to make the NCAA tournament next year but Jordan will greatly help the cause. The Philadelphia native can compete for a starting spot immediately and become a floor leader in his first year. St. John's is in good position to compete near the top of the new Big East in 2013-14.

Thx Mike!

« Reply #1766 on: April 11, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
“@jeffborzello: With Rysheed Jordan in the fold, St. John's could have the pieces to make a run to the NCAA tournament next season: http://cbsprt.co/11ZEfBL

Make a run at?

No make a run in…

Seriously no way with this type of returning talent and with Jordan on board should this team be anything but an NCAA team with thoughts of winning multiple games in the Tourney.

With Jordan, Harrison, Branch, Pointer, Sanchez, Obekpa and Sampson this is the most talent an SJU team has had since those first 2 Jarvis teams. 

paultzman

« Reply #1767 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
“@JonRothstein: Rysheed Jordan is an impact recruit for Steve Lavin + St. John's. Very similar to Tyshawn Taylor but more of a PG. Explosive scorer.”

SJUFAN

« Reply #1768 on: April 11, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
Another aspect of Rysheed signing with us is that it continues to build the reputation of STJ being a destination program for top recruits. Sampson last year, Moe the year b4 that, now Jordan. Recruits notice who they will be playing with and top recruits want to play with other top players. This program is in good hands. 

« Reply #1769 on: April 11, 2013, 01:34:09 PM »
Another aspect of Rysheed signing with us is that it continues to build the reputation of STJ being a destination program for top recruits. Sampson last year, Moe the year b4 that, now Jordan. Recruits notice who they will be playing with and top recruits want to play with other top players. This program is in good hands.

Agreed! Lavin is helping to restore the losing culture here. He is making it somewhat "normal" for 4 and 5 star kids to strongly consider and sometimes sign at SJ. Don't discount the value of that. People notice SJ a lot more in the major headlines with moves like these including possible future recruits. He said "they need a PG there" referring to us, so I'm sure Lavin told him he will have the opportunity to be a major scoring threat from day 1. If Harrison comes back which he should, the only thing that can slow us down is more bad luck i.e. Jordan doesn't qualify or major injuries. God forbid...we are WAY overdue for a great year where everything goes right for a change. Let's hope that's next year.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:39:06 PM by RedStormyNight »

« Reply #1771 on: April 11, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »
“@JonRothstein: Rysheed Jordan is an impact recruit for Steve Lavin + St. John's. Very similar to Tyshawn Taylor but more of a PG. Explosive scorer.”

Seal of Approval from Uncle Jon.

paultzman

« Reply #1772 on: April 11, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »
“@DickieV: A great get 4 Steve Lavin- recruiting gems like this creates excitement 4 a program . @LennRobbins  @DaveTelep  http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/9159371/rysheed-jordan-commits-st-john-red-storm

« Reply #1773 on: April 11, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
Is there any concern he may not become eligible this summer? How close is he to qualifying?

sju89tr

« Reply #1774 on: April 11, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »

Don't forget Pelle even though he never suited up. He was in some rankings as high as Top 20

NYCoffey

« Reply #1775 on: April 11, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
Saw something funny on the Temple board. Someone started a thread that they called the official Rysheed Jordan picks St. Johns meltdown thread. We could definitely use a thread like that when we miss out on a recruit.

sju89tr

« Reply #1776 on: April 11, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »
http://instagram.com/p/X-P3X2OYA0/

Good thing I bought that Sheed Jordan jersey 2 years ago (Moe to Christian Jones to Sheed) lol

« Reply #1777 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
He just tweeted a pic of MSG saying "My new home!". You can't tell me MSG doesn't still act as a major lure for recruits. I remember someone on ESPN New York wrote an article saying it's losing its luster with younger players. Well, he's dead wrong!

« Reply #1778 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:16 PM »
Welcome Rysheed!!!"

« Reply #1779 on: April 11, 2013, 03:32:19 PM »
Best news since Jakar recommited last year !