Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

redslope

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1820 on: April 11, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
and thanks to Amir for making this all possible

« Reply #1822 on: April 11, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
Before people jump on me, A) I know highlight tapes only show the good plays and B) He is not known for this, but...I feel many people are undermining his shooting ability. From what I've seen he easily has THE smoothest stroke out of anyone on the team. Jakarr has a weird shot, even Harrison is a bit awkward with it. Jordan has a nice easy motion and that bodes well in the same way MLB teams like pitchers with smooth effortless motions. It's good for consistency and durability. I saw someone else post a stat saying he hit 40% from 3...that speaks for itself. The kid can definitely shoot AND penetrate, scoring with contact. Missing piece indeed. He also seems totally dedicated to the team already bonding with teammates and has his own series on youtube about his progress in hoops. Can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me this kid is special. I just get that feeling that he was the missing piece, and now we can really ball big time. Just pray Harrison stays and no one notable transfers.

Agree completely. He needs to improve on his awareness on both sides but he is as ready as a high school player can be imo.

NYCoffey

« Reply #1823 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Lets have a basketball league of the 1985 team, Final 4; the 1991 team, Elite 8; the 2000 team, Elite 8; the 2011 team, 9 seniors made NCAA; and the 2014 team. Who is the best team and who is the most talented?

'85 best and most talented

« Reply #1824 on: April 12, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
Completely agree. I think Rysheed is a special talent. Scary part is that if he had more time he would have been ranked even higher. There is no doubt in my mind that we will have our third consecutive rookie of the year if he takes the court this fall. If all goes accordingly we should be ranked in the preseason top 25. If everyone comes back, we will sneak up on people like MIAMI did this past season.

We wont be preseason top 25 because people do not know how good Sanchez is. They dont know who Sanchez is. But a good start and a win against Cuse in december will get us some attention definitely

« Reply #1825 on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:19 AM »
Great get.

« Reply #1826 on: April 12, 2013, 03:58:34 AM »
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/high_school/pennsylvania/20130412_St__John_s-bound_Rysheed_Jordan_shows_local_fans_what_they_ll_miss.html

"He also hit a couple of NBA three-pointers. (There can't be any Owls fans still reading by now.)"

NBA 3's, known for his passing ability, unselfish, 33 Pts and just rave reviews. Described as a "cerebral" player and a "definite pro". This kid really has the makings of something special. Doesn't feel like any recruit we have had in a while. If we can get him to hit 35%+ from 3, penetrate, and pass, this kid is going to be a monster folks.

Also Jordan's family was reportedly very upset with something negative printed in the Inquirer...not sure what exactly it was though because they did not refer to specifics. Philly always was a trash sports town and they are not helping that stereotype now. Here at SJ we are pissed when we lose guys like Lawrence and McCullough but you never see our fans attacking them via Twitter and having nasty things written in papers. Remember, this is the same city where a 40 yr old Phillies fan intentionally threw up on a 13 yr old girl at Citizen's Bank Park and booed Santa at an Eagles game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:04:24 AM by RedStormyNight »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #1827 on: April 12, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »
Just saw that Rysheed changed his twitter name from "black jesus" to "the prince". Wonder if St. John's had anything to do with that lol.

« Reply #1828 on: April 12, 2013, 06:22:54 AM »
Just saw that Rysheed changed his twitter name from "black jesus" to "the prince". Wonder if St. John's had anything to do with that lol.

I noticed too lol...smart move before it really gained traction.

SJU79

« Reply #1829 on: April 12, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »
The one aspect of his game that isn't mentioned much but I know TC is excited about is how physical he is. Very hard through screens and finishes so strongly. 

« Reply #1830 on: April 12, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »
79, 79.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #1831 on: April 12, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
The one aspect of his game that isn't mentioned much but I know TC is excited about is how physical he is. Very hard through screens and finishes so strongly. 

Great point. Additionally folks in the know, like Tom Konchalski and Philly hoops gurus, point to his maturation. They note he increasingly sees the importance of distributing ball and giving teammates easy scoring opportunities. As he continues to refine his stroke, he will really have a complete game. Psyched!

« Reply #1833 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »
Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/on-campus-1.812060/rysheed-jordan-commit-is-big-st-john-s-win-1.5057049

NYPost:
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/st_john_snags_elite_philly_pg_ZatgNZZgV1i11rmmK6R1uL?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Basketball

By the way...Sheed just changed his twitter background image to the good ol' SJ logo. I love how excited this kid is to come play for us! Really builds our brand too among higher recruits. Phil Greene tweeted that he should come up soon with the team and Sampson was welcoming him. With the exception of Harrison this team has some great chemistry and they really seem like friends off the court. This is why college basketball is so great...it's about the college family, not about money.

More quotes:

"I am looking forward to taking the next steps as a basketball player and in continuing my education at St. John's University," Jordan added. "New York City has great energy and the Garden is a place everyone dreams of playing."

Kamal Yard, Jordan’s travel team director with the Philly Pride AAU team, told the Torch that he is “a tough hombre,” who “doesn’t mind getting dirty.”

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:45:02 PM by RedStormyNight »

MCNPA

« Reply #1834 on: April 12, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
Some kids are just talented.  This kid is a physical specimen with not only the talent, but the motor as well.  Not a kid that takes plays off.  Very excited about this.  Fwiw, Philly is a great region for us to recruit from for all sports.  Lacrosse team recruits very heavily from Philly area as lots of Philly kids love playing in NY which is close to home, but still "away" for them. Seems like some of the same facts applied here.  Great job by Lavin and Chiles here. 

We will have two very good PG's in Jordan and Branch which bodes well for us next season. 

« Reply #1835 on: April 12, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
RYSHEED JORDAN DOUBLE CROSSOVER DUNK

His cross over is so fast you might not realize what just happened until the ball hits the net!

« Reply #1836 on: April 12, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »
blackjesus_4
Follow my new backcourt partner @philgreene4 we say turn up next year stjohn!!!!!

philgreene4
Yessuh!!! We taking ova next year watch and see 🏀🏀

http://instagram.com/p/YAg2PeuYAo/

« Reply #1837 on: April 12, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »
JaKarr Sampson ‏@KarrSampson14 5h
Welcome to the fam bro! @sheedjordan

« Reply #1838 on: April 12, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »
blackjesus_4
Follow my new backcourt partner @philgreene4 we say turn up next year stjohn!!!!!

philgreene4
Yessuh!!! We taking ova next year watch and see

http://instagram.com/p/YAg2PeuYAo/

The link is broken

« Reply #1839 on: April 12, 2013, 05:35:05 PM »
Love that we got sheed and he seems very talented and can become a great player for us but hope we all show some patience and allow him some time to adapt to a much higher level of basketball. Let's also remember that point guard is probably the toughest position to transition to when you go up another level of competition much like quarterback in football. Great to have an uber talent coming in to play the point and because it is the hardest position to adapt to I fully expect and hope sheed is with us for at least 2 seasons.