Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

MCNPA

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1180 on: March 23, 2013, 02:39:16 AM »
Gotta lock this kid up. UCLA flat out quit tonight. No one should want to play there at this point in time. Clearly, no one is.

Well I can't see how Jordan chooses UCLA at this point. Howland's seat is on fire.  Certainly can see Temple as an issue, but I'd prefer if Howland was canned and knocked out of it...

« Reply #1181 on: March 23, 2013, 12:06:38 PM »
Even if, by some miracle, Howland survives this year, unless Rysheed envisions himself as one and done, he has to figure there will be a coaching chang at some point in his career at UCLA.  Dunphy and Lavin aren't going anywhere.

Marillac

« Reply #1182 on: March 23, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
Temple has a lot of congestion at the 1-3 spots the next few years.  They return starting soph PG, Will Cummings, they already signed St. Anthony's PG, Josh Brown, for this class, and they return current freshmen Quinton Decosey and Daniel Dingle who will compete for minutes at the two and three. 

« Reply #1183 on: March 23, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »
Temple has a lot of congestion at the 1-3 spots the next few years.  They return starting soph PG, Will Cummings, they already signed St. Anthony's PG, Josh Brown, for this class, and they return current freshmen Quinton Decosey and Daniel Dingle who will compete for minutes at the two and three. 

Thought Dingle was more of a frontcourt guy no? Don't see those two competing for minutes.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #1184 on: March 23, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »

Dingle will compete for minutes at the 2???????? Please
Aren't we just as congested at the 1-3
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1185 on: March 23, 2013, 03:06:40 PM »
We only have one true 1, our best 2 will be gone in another year.  Rysheed would get extensive minutes in our backcourt

« Reply #1186 on: March 23, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »
We only have one true 1, our best 2 will be gone in another year.  Rysheed would get extensive minutes in our backcourt

Of course we can use him but using the same logic that Marillac used for Temple we are clogged too.  That is Moose's point it is ridiculous to suggest that any of the 3 don't have a need or room for a stud like Jordan.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:13:15 PM by fordham96 »

boo3

« Reply #1187 on: March 23, 2013, 06:10:28 PM »
Howland is getting fired tomorrow...multiple reports

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 12m
UCLA will fire head coach Ben Howland on Sunday, multiple sources tells me.
 Retweeted by Jon Rothstein
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:13:50 PM by boo3 »

bk8664

« Reply #1188 on: March 23, 2013, 08:05:06 PM »
With the turmoil at UCLA, what do posters think is our percentage chance of getting Rysheed to come to St. John's?
20%?
30%?
50%?
More?

I have no idea really.  We should be ideal for him in that we have a stacked front-court and we seemingly need help  (especially if D'Lo ain't back) in the back-court.  If Rysheed is as good as advertised, then he would get plenty of minutes here.

« Reply #1189 on: March 23, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »
39.85%

« Reply #1190 on: March 23, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »
let me start by saying i have no inside information.

I don't think we have much a chance with Rysheed. I've read some UCLA boards, this board, and all the articles, tweets and quotes for the last few months. With Howland getting fired, I don't necessarily think that UCLA is out of the question. Since he's not announcing until 4/16 he can wait and see the next hire, and if he's not a fan, he stays home at Temple. I really hope I'm wrong. I also was convinced last year that Obekpa was going to Cincy so track record aint the best either.

bk8664

« Reply #1191 on: March 23, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »

I don't think we have much a chance with Rysheed. I've read some UCLA boards, this board, and all the articles, tweets and quotes for the last few months. With Howland getting fired, I don't necessarily think that UCLA is out of the question. Since he's not announcing until 4/16 he can wait and see the next hire, and if he's not a fan, he stays home at Temple. I really hope I'm wrong. I also was convinced last year that Obekpa was going to Cincy so track record aint the best either.

No doubt.  When UCLA pays big bucks for some dynamic CEO,  Rysheed could easily sign up for it.  However, Lavin is still pursuing him, so maybe Lavin smells blood in the water / an opportunity.   Well, we'll find out what happens over the next three weeks.   It's not a long wait.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:22:13 PM by bk8664 »

« Reply #1192 on: March 23, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »

I think there's no doubt we have a chance. If we didn't we wouldn't still be sending people to his games. I also think Howland's firing does nothing but improve our chances.

« Reply #1193 on: March 23, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
Though recruits usually commit to coaches and assume the coach will be there if they commit, I still think there's a good chance he can end up at UCLA. Recruits don't always make smart or logical decisions...look at Lawrence. The kid downgrades the conference he will play in, joins a team on the decline that will lose arguably their best player before he gets there, and unless he's 1 and done he will be on a pretty bad Cincy team by the time he's a soph (no Kilpatrick). All this while he had a team in his backyard on the rise about to go all in to win big right when he would have arrived. I know this sounds stupid and maybe it is a little bit, but some recruits will choose the better weather school sometimes if everything else is pretty similar between 2 schools. Some want to go away and really experience that. With that said we have a chance even if it's slim...Jordan knows how to SCORE and that's exactly what we are desperate for. Getting him really would make things interesting next year.

desco80

« Reply #1194 on: March 23, 2013, 11:17:07 PM »
I've felt since the summer that Jordan wasn't going to leave Philly.   
But, what do I know?   I was also pretty convinced Jermaine Lawrence would be a Johnnie. 

Moose

« Reply #1195 on: March 23, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »
But, what do I know?   I was also pretty convinced Jermaine Lawrence would be a Johnnie. 

The million dollar question is then why hasn't he popped for Temple yet.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #1196 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:13 PM »
With the turmoil at UCLA, what do posters think is our percentage chance of getting Rysheed to come to St. John's?
20%?
30%?
50%?
More?

I have no idea really.  We should be ideal for him in that we have a stacked front-court and we seemingly need help  (especially if D'Lo ain't back) in the back-court.  If Rysheed is as good as advertised, then he would get plenty of minutes here.

We have a stacked front court for a year.   By about this time next year Sanchez and Sampson will be gone.   

desco80

« Reply #1197 on: March 23, 2013, 11:46:02 PM »

Great question Moose lol.   I used to think he was waiting for that 'big time' program to get involved.  But then UCLA did, and he still didn't pop.
So, who knows.   Maybe my intuition is in reverse, we lost out on Jermaine, but will sign Rhysheed.  If we had no shot I can't believe tony and coach would still be chasing him.   

MCNPA

« Reply #1198 on: March 23, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »

Great question Moose lol.   I used to think he was waiting for that 'big time' program to get involved.  But then UCLA did, and he still didn't pop.
So, who knows.   Maybe my intuition is in reverse, we lost out on Jermaine, but will sign Rhysheed.  If we had no shot I can't believe tony and coach would still be chasing him.

I think he didn't pop for UCLA because it was common knowledge that Howland was on the hot seat.  In that case a "wait and see" was smart.  The fact that he didn't choose Temple to this point, I think is probably good for us.  I feel better that Howland is out of it.  Certainly he can still choose UCLA, but I think it is much less likely without the guy who recruited him at ucla.  We'll have to wait, but I like our chances better now than I did before Howland was cut loose.

« Reply #1199 on: March 24, 2013, 12:47:19 AM »
No one commits to a school without a coach.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle