Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #2060 on: May 05, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »
Returning to the Louisville back court situation..............  SI.com: How good can Chris Jones, your juco guard, be?

RP: He's a great one. He's as good as I've ever recruited in terms of, he's 5-9, 5-10 built like Taquan Dean. He's a fierce competitor. Oh yeah, he's a starter. Hands down. It'll be Russ and him in the backcourt. We have two other freshmen, Terry Rozier and Anton Gill, who are just as good. I think Kevin Ware will be ready. I think.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130503/louisville-rick-pitino/#ixzz2STSbdLSc

« Reply #2061 on: May 05, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »
Alright enough Joe talk, let's keep this on Rysheed.

Still just jazzed that Lavin and SJU have landed what is now EPSN's #17 recruit in the entire 2013 class (and Rivals/Yahoo's #20), and how IMPORTANT that is going forward in recruiting.   When I first started posting here 3 years ago, I preached about changing the "mindset".   This was a school with 2 top 100 recruits in the previous 6 years.  One that had't had a 50 recruit in a decade.   Now our roster has a PG who was ESPN's #17 recruit (Rysheed).  An SG who was Prepstars #28 recruit (D'Lo).   An SF who was Dave Teleps #24 recruit (Sir Dom).   A PF who was Teleps #31 recruit (Jakarr).  A Center who was Van Colemans #50 Recruit (Oblockpa). 

Maybe being late to the game, I'm misreading this, but it seems to me our SECOND TEAM would be higher ranked on potential than most of the talent here the decade before the coaching change:  2nd string Point Guard who was Scout.Com's #41 recruit (Jamal).  2nd string SG who was a borderline top 100 player and a 2 year starter at D! (Phil).  A 2nd string PF who was a JC All American (Sanchez).  A 2nd string Post who was a JC All American who's already put up a 10/6 season in the big East (Gift).  Two pure shooters at the SF/SF spots in Bourgalt and Hooper.  A potentially outstanding sleeper at the 2/3 in Balamou.  And an intriguing athletic enigma at PF in Christian Jones.

But with all that, the #17 ranking is huge - we've cracked the top 20 barrier.   Next year, should we try to close in on a Diamond Stone, or an Ivan Rabb, or a Thomas Bryant, or a Jessie Govan, no one's going to laugh and say "those guys are too high ranked for St. Johns"....And more important than recruiting geeks thinking that, it'll be some of those RECRUITS taking us seriously.

Rabb's from Oakland & Lavin is a bay area guy so you never know. But seriously the next step to getting the very best recruits is showing them a winning product consistently which we haven't done yet. Hopefully this year gives us some credibility in that regard. Also I agree with Poison, as talented as Jordan is he still will be freshman and will most likely have a few growing pains especially coming from a public school.

paultzman

« Reply #2062 on: May 06, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »
Not getting Rabb.

Poison

« Reply #2063 on: May 06, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »
Not getting Rabb.

We weren't getting Jordan or Obekpa either ;)

paultzman

« Reply #2064 on: May 06, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
Not getting Rabb.

But we were on their lists. Not so here. Hope you are right, but we are way behind on this one. It's early I know.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:14:13 AM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #2065 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »
Not getting Rabb.

But we were on their lists. Not so here. Hope you are right, but we are way behind on this one. It's early I know.

I'm not right about this. I was just bringing up the idea that Lavin has won battles that many thought he wouldn't.

Maybe UCLA gave their former coach an assist on this one? Either way, he came from behind, and won.

MCNPA

« Reply #2066 on: May 06, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »
Not getting Rabb.

When Lavin came on board, we weren't on the list of Garrett, Pelle, Sampson, Pointer, Greene and Harkless was committed to UConn.  Within a few months, we were competing for their services.  For Rabb it is extremely early to say we aren't on his list so we won't land him.  That said, not sure how hard we are recruiting him if at all.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:29:31 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #2068 on: May 06, 2013, 12:58:01 PM »
I was just joking about Rabb. If last week is any indication of the 2, Cheick Diallo might be just as good if not better.

paultzman

« Reply #2069 on: May 06, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »
“@STJCoachLavin: Congrats to Rysheed Jordan for climbing 2013 recruiting rankings. The newest member of our #Stjbb family is currently No 17 in the country.”

crgreen

« Reply #2070 on: May 06, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
Not getting Rabb.

Believe it or not, this is still early.    Jesse Govan's list (per SCOUT) is still just Virginia and George Mason.  If we're looking at a Rysheed-like timeframe for these kids decisions, we're still talking 23 Months from now.  And we certainly were'nt on D'Lo and Amir and Sir Dom's lists 23 months before THEY signed. :)

paultzman

« Reply #2071 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
Not getting Rabb.

Believe it or not, this is still early.    Jesse Govan's list (per SCOUT) is still just Virginia and George Mason.  If we're looking at a Rysheed-like timeframe for these kids decisions, we're still talking 23 Months from now.  And we certainly were'nt on D'Lo and Amir and Sir Dom's lists 23 months before THEY signed. :)

In my post I noted;"It's early I know". Secondly, was told we are not actively recruiting him.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 01:39:40 PM by paultzman »

LJSA

« Reply #2072 on: May 07, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
I have friends who live in his neighborhood. If Lavin needs me, I can go over to Rabb's house late at night and hang a St. John's banner from the tree.

« Reply #2073 on: May 14, 2013, 07:24:17 PM »
I had a dream last night and can only hope it's a premonition. We were playing Cuse in front of a sold out MSG crowd and Jordan put up 32 including a few clutch FT's at the end. When I woke up I was pissed because we won the game by 5   >:(

Oh well, guess we have to beat them in real life now.

Moose

« Reply #2074 on: May 14, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »
When I woke up I was pissed because we won the game by 5   >:(

That's our Joe
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2075 on: May 14, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
When I woke up I was pissed because we won the game by 5   >:(

That's our Joe

Haha, I really meant I was pissed because it wasn't reality. I really think we are so overdue to beat Cuse...won't get a much better chance than this year.

crgreen

« Reply #2077 on: May 15, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
#45 in the latest Scout.com rankings.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2013

Wow - if I was cynical, I'd say West Coast Bias, and "sour grapes for picking St. Johns over UCLA".  Not sure when I've seen that huge a gap on a player between ESPN (#17), Rivals (#20) and Scout (#45)

Except for Actual UCLA signee Zach Lavine who Scout has #27, while ESPN has him at #50, and Rivals at #44.  :)

Marillac

« Reply #2078 on: May 15, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
I had a dream last night and can only hope it's a premonition. We were playing Cuse in front of a sold out MSG crowd and Jordan put up 32 including a few clutch FT's at the end. When I woke up I was pissed because we won the game by 5   >:(

Jordan is not scoring 30 points as a freshman...just not happening.  If we are in a position that he has to, we are serious trouble.  If I was a betting man, I'd waiger the kid doesn't eclipse 20 more than a few times if at all.

boo3

« Reply #2079 on: May 15, 2013, 01:58:45 PM »

Jordan is not scoring 30 points as a freshman...just not happening.  If we are in a position that he has to, we are serious trouble.  If I was a betting man, I'd waiger the kid doesn't eclipse 20 more than a few times if at all.

I remember Lopez dropping 35 at the Dome his freshman year, in a loss..