Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

crgreen

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #2080 on: May 15, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
I had a dream last night and can only hope it's a premonition. We were playing Cuse in front of a sold out MSG crowd and Jordan put up 32 including a few clutch FT's at the end. When I woke up I was pissed because we won the game by 5   >:(

Oh well, guess we have to beat them in real life now.

Jordan is not scoring 30 points as a freshman...just not happening.  If we are in a position that he has to, we are serious trouble.  If I was a betting man, I'd waiger the kid doesn't eclipse 20 more than a few times if at all.

FWIW - Last years ESPN top 20 Guards, scoring 20 in a game as frosh:

#20 Rodney Purvis - once, averaged 8.3 for NC State
#15 Archie Goodwin - five times, averaged 14.1 for Kentucky
#12 Rasheed Sulaiman - three times, averaged 11.6 for Duke
#11 Gary Harris - four times, averaged 12.9 for Michigan State
#10 Marcus Smart - nine times, averaged 15.4 for Oklahoma State
#2  Shabazz Muhammad - FOURTEEN times, averaged 17.9 pts for UCLA

« Reply #2081 on: May 15, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »
Didn't some kid named Archie D. Acono torch us for 32 in his first BE game?

« Reply #2082 on: May 15, 2013, 09:47:13 PM »
Ryan Archipelago

crgreen

« Reply #2083 on: May 16, 2013, 07:14:33 PM »
I had a dream last night and can only hope it's a premonition. We were playing Cuse in front of a sold out MSG crowd and Jordan put up 32 including a few clutch FT's at the end. When I woke up I was pissed because we won the game by 5   >:(

Jordan is not scoring 30 points as a freshman...just not happening.  If we are in a position that he has to, we are serious trouble.  If I was a betting man, I'd waiger the kid doesn't eclipse 20 more than a few times if at all.

FWIW - Last years ESPN top 20 Guards, scoring 20 in a game as frosh:

#20 Rodney Purvis - once, averaged 8.3 for NC State
#15 Archie Goodwin - five times, averaged 14.1 for Kentucky
#12 Rasheed Sulaiman - three times, averaged 11.6 for Duke
#11 Gary Harris - four times, averaged 12.9 for Michigan State
#10 Marcus Smart - nine times, averaged 15.4 for Oklahoma State
#2  Shabazz Muhammad - FOURTEEN times, averaged 17.9 pts for UCLA

Just sharing some further research (some wingnut on the Bruin board seems to think Muhammad's contriubutions will be "easily" replaced.   Right - god, I hate perceptions vs reality (he SOULD average 20, He SHOULD pull down 10 boards a game.  He SHOULD deliver 8 dimes a game - all are FAR rarer than folks perceive).   

Since this fit into the discussion of 20 pts from a frosh next year, this is ESPN's 2012 Top 20, their scoring averages as freshmen, and the number of times they SCORED 20 (forget AVERAGING 20!):

#20:  Rodney Purvis - 8.3 pts, ONE time
#19:  Danuel House - 12.6 pts, six times
#18:  Glenn Robinson III - 11.0 pts, three times
#17:  Sam Dekker - 9.6 pts,  ZERO times
#16:  Brandon Ashley - 7.5 pts, one time
#15:  Archie Goodwin - 14.1 pts, five times
#14:  Dajuan Coleman - 4.8 pts, ZERO times
#13:  Alex Poythress - 11.2 pts, six times
#12:  Rasheed Suliamon - 11.6 pts, three times
#11:  Gary Harris - 12.9 pts, four times
#10:  Marcus Smart - 15.4 pts, Nine Times
#9:  Grant Jerrett - 5.2 pts,  ZERO times
#8:  Cameron Ridley - 4.1 pts, ZERO times
#7:  Anthonyu Bennett - 16.1 pts, Thirteen Times
#6:  Steven Adams - 7.2 pts, ZERO times
#5:  Kyle Anderson - 9.7 pts, two times
#4:  Kaleb Tarczewski - 6.6 pts, ZERO times
#3:  Isiah Austin - 13.0 pts, four times
#2:  Shabazz Muhammad - 17.9 pts, 14 times (both led all true frosh)
#1:  Nerlens Noel - 10.5 pts, ZERO times.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:15:56 PM by crgreen »

Marillac

« Reply #2084 on: May 16, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

I remember Lopez dropping 35 at the Dome his freshman year, in a loss..

No disrespect to Jordan, but Lopez was the #1 recruit in the country, a future NBA first-rounder, and he was already a man at that point.  His head was not too far from his ceiling.  He also played for a poor team and was the man.  We already have a Batman, D'Angelo Harrison. 

We don't need gaudy #'s from him to be very good.  I just want him to play heady ball, play tough defense, and get in the lane consistently. 

boo3

« Reply #2085 on: May 16, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »

No disrespect to Jordan, but Lopez was the #1 recruit in the country, a future NBA first-rounder, and he was already a man at that point.  His head was not too far from his ceiling.  He also played for a poor team and was the man.  We already have a Batman, D'Angelo Harrison. 

We don't need gaudy #'s from him to be very good.  I just want him to play heady ball, play tough defense, and get in the lane consistently.

I hear you and agree.  I do think he is capable of scoring 25-30 on a night where things are going his way.  Actually, despite our offensive offense at times, coming into the season we will have 3 guys, IMO, that are capable of dropping 25-30 in a game..  Harrison, Sampson, and (potentially) Jordan.  Not saying it will happen, but it's possible.

« Reply #2086 on: May 17, 2013, 03:15:25 AM »
Didn't realize Sheed knows guys like Dion Waiters, Malik Wayns, Scoop Jardine, etc. Supposedly he hoops with them...not a bad group to get tips from IMO!

Also, new vid from a few days ago. Not a highlight vid, just Sheed showing where he's from and you get to know the kid a little better. Really seems like a great kid. I love how he shouted out St. Johns, Steve Lavin, and Tony Chiles LOL. That's right Sheed...get those SJ promotions cooking in Philly for the next recruits! :D
Started From The Bottom - Rysheed Jordan
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:35:54 AM by RedStormyNight »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #2087 on: May 17, 2013, 05:54:19 AM »
Didn't realize Sheed knows guys like Dion Waiters, Malik Wayns, Scoop Jardine, etc. Supposedly he hoops with them...not a bad group to get tips from IMO!

Also, new vid from a few days ago. Not a highlight vid, just Sheed showing where he's from and you get to know the kid a little better. Really seems like a great kid. I love how he shouted out St. Johns, Steve Lavin, and Tony Chiles LOL. That's right Sheed...get those SJ promotions cooking in Philly for the next recruits! :D

SMH at the video....

Poison

« Reply #2088 on: May 17, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »

Lopez had NBA/top ranked talent (top 100) on his team that neither he nor Hamilton were willing to work with. James Scott, Roshawn McCloud, Charles Minlend, and Rowan Barrett were left out in the cold while Lopez and Hamilton played the role of saviors.

It's not about how much the new guys score. It is only about how they help us gel as a team. There is no worse example of that than the 94-95 season. What a waste it was.

If Jordan can run the offense, I don't care if he scores 8 ppg, as long as we win.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:02:45 AM by Poison »

« Reply #2089 on: May 17, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »
And we're supposed to be impressed with this vid?

« Reply #2090 on: May 17, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
And we're supposed to be impressed with this vid?

Don't see anywhere he said you should be impressed. Just a video that shows more about him and where he's from. Hopefully more highlight videos come out after his charity game.

crgreen

« Reply #2091 on: May 20, 2013, 04:07:38 AM »
Parade All America team annunced this weekend.  Congratulations to Rysheed Jordan for making the list!

http://www.parade.com/14852/brianmclaughlin/meet-parades-2013-all-america-basketball-teams/

The 2013 All-America High School Basketball Teams

Boys Team
Name   Pos.   High School   Ht.   College*
A.J. Jacobson   F   Shanley (Fargo, N.D.)   6-6   North Dakota St.
Aaron Gordon   F   Archbishop Mitty (San Jose, Calif.)   6-8   Arizona
Aaron Harrison   G   Travis (Richmond, Texas)   6-5   Kentucky
Anders Broman   G   Lakeview Christian Academy (Duluth, Minn.)   6-1   South Dakota St.
Andrew Wiggins   F   Huntington Prep (Huntington, W.V.)   6-8   Kansas
Austin Nichols   F   Briarcrest Christian (Eads, Tenn.)   6-8   Memphis
Bobby Portis   F   Hall (Little Rock, Ark.)   6-10   Arkansas
Brannen Greene   G   Tift County (Tifton, Ga.)   6-7   Kansas
Bryce Alford   G   La Cueva (Albuquerque, N.M.)   6-3   UCLA
Chris Walker   F   Holmes County (Bonifay, Fla.)   6-9   Florida
Conner Frankamp   G   North (Wichita, Kan.)   6-1   Kansas
Cullen Neal   G   Eldorado (Albuquerque, N.M.)   6-4   New Mexico
Derrick Walton Jr.   G   Chandler Park Academy (Harper Woods, Mich.)   6-1   Michigan
De’Runnya Wilson   F   Wenonah (Birmingham, Ala.)   6-6   Mississippi State
Dominique Hawkins   G   Madison Central (Richmond, Ky.)   6-1   Kentucky
Garet Beal   F   Jonesport-Beals (Jonesport, Maine)   6-6   Maine
Isaiah Hicks   F   J.F. Webb (Oxford, N.C.)   6-8   North Carolina
Jabari Parker   F   Simeon (Chicago, Ill.)   6-8   Duke
James Young   G   Rochester (Rochester Hills, Mich.)   6-6   Kentucky
Jarell Martin   F   Madison Prep Academy (Baton Rouge, La.)   6-8   LSU
Jon Severe   G   Christ The King (Queens, N.Y.)   6-2   Fordham
Luke Fischer   C   Germantown (Wis.)   6-10   Indiana
Mamadou Ndiaye   C   Brethren Christian (Huntington Beach, Calif.)   7-5   Cal-Irvine
Marc Loving   F   St. John’s (Toledo, Ohio)   6-8   Ohio State
Marcus Allen   G   Centennial (Las Vegas, Nev.)   6-4   Stanford
Marcus Foster   G   Hirschi (Wichita Falls (Texas)   6-2   Kansas State
Marcus Lee   F   Deer Valley (Antioch, Calif.)   6-9   Kentucky
Monte Morris   G   Beecher (Flint, Mich.)   6-1   Iowa State
Nick King   F   Memphis East (Memphis, Tenn.)   6-7   Memphis
Nigel Williams-Goss   G   Findlay Prep (Henderson, Nev.)   6-3   Washington
Peter Jok   F   Valley (West Des Moines, Iowa)   6-6   Iowa
Ricky Seals-Jones   F   Sealy (Texas)   6-5   Texas A&M
Roschon Prince   G   Poly (Long Beach, Cali.)   6-5   USC
Rysheed Jordan   G   Vaux (Philadelphia)   6-3   St. John’s
Semi Ojeleye   F   Ottawa (Kan.)   6-6   Duke
Steve Vasturia   G   St. Joseph’s (Philadelphia, Pa.)   6-5   Notre Dame
Stevie Clark   G   Douglass (Oklahoma City)   5-10   Oklahoma State
Tyler Ennis   G   St. Benedict’s Prep (Newark, N.J.)   6-2   Syracuse
Zach LaVine   G   Bothell (Wash.)   6-4   UCLA
Zak Irvin   G   Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers, Ind.)   6-6   Michigan
*College selections are subject to change.

« Reply #2092 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »
Jon Severe on the list.  No Andrew Harrison.

crgreen

« Reply #2093 on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »

Parade tends to be more of an ACTUAL High School All America list.   Most of these top 100 or to 50 lists have evoloved into "Best prospects for the Next Level" - and that can be a very different thing.   Imagine - a High School Honor that is actually honoring HIGH SCHOOL ACCOMPLISHMENT,  rather than future potential of Pituitary output and genetic fast-twitch muscle response....

desco80

« Reply #2094 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »

Parade tends to be more of an ACTUAL High School All America list.   Most of these top 100 or to 50 lists have evoloved into "Best prospects for the Next Level" - and that can be a very different thing.   Imagine - a High School Honor that is actually honoring HIGH SCHOOL ACCOMPLISHMENT,  rather than future potential of Pituitary output and genetic fast-twitch muscle response....

If production alone was an appropriate criteria for All America lists then Momo and his 23ppg would be first team all american, and Victor Oladipo wouldn't even be a candidate.   
There are separate lists that celebrate guys with the most points, rebounds, assists, etc
All American status is about more than that. 
Production needs to be weighed heavily obviously, but observable talent must be a factor as well. 

crgreen

« Reply #2095 on: May 21, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »

If production alone was an appropriate criteria for All America lists then Momo and his 23ppg would be first team all american, and Victor Oladipo wouldn't even be a candidate.   
There are separate lists that celebrate guys with the most points, rebounds, assists, etc
All American status is about more than that. 
Production needs to be weighed heavily obviously, but observable talent must be a factor as well.

Not necessarily 1st team, but yes - on a 40 man all america (1st team thru 8th) list, a 23 pt a game guard who also led his 20 win D-1 team in assists would certainly make the cut.

LJSA

« Reply #2096 on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »
So wait, Andrew Harrison isn't deserving of this honor? I assumed he had top 10 talent and statistics judging from all the accolades, but Parade makes it seem as if he's just another much less talented twin riding on his brother's coat tails.

crgreen

« Reply #2097 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
So wait, Andrew Harrison isn't deserving of this honor? I assumed he had top 10 talent and statistics judging from all the accolades, but Parade makes it seem as if he's just another much less talented twin riding on his brother's coat tails.

Again, Parade's award is for what you've done in high school, not what you project to do in college.  Andrew is a terriffic prospect, but he produced only 12 pts and 6 assists a game.  Of course a Stevie Clark with 31 pts and 13 assissts a game, a Bryce Alford with 38 pts and 8 assists a game, or an Anders Broman with 42 pts and 9 assists a game (State Championship, State POY) is going to get on this list in front of him.

But can someone explain to me, how he can play with supposedly the #1 Shooting Guard in the country on his team (twin brother Aaron), and only get 6 assists a game?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:52:33 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #2098 on: May 21, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »
I thought the pg was the better player?

crgreen

« Reply #2099 on: May 21, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »
I thought the pg was the better player?

Asked around - cause looking at the high school numbers (not just stats - team numbers, wins, production etc) don't support their Rivals/Scout/ESPN/RSCI rankings.   Word I get from buds still in the scounting game is they were monsters in AAU ball.   Parade doesn't give a flying fig about AAU.  It's about High School Scholastic/Athletic  achievement.