Big East shakeup

• 88 replies
Re: Big East shakeup
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
I hate to say it, but survival of the fittest.  Call me criminal but I'd rather see the league get rid of one or two of the non-football schools and replace them with football schools than see the whole thing break up.  I'm not attatched to a school like DePaul or Marquette.  As sad as it is, I think Seton Hall ranked one of the worst performing D1 sports schools in a BCS conference by one rating.  I'm selfish and would rather see us maintain a powerhouse bball conference, even if it means we lose one or two.  It won't be SJU.  I know it might be unpopular, but if we need to compete in a lesser conference, this conversation is over anyway. 

Thing is this: UConn sucked it fo the first decade of the BE. What if they was kicked out fo underperformin?

The League stuck wit its own. And UConn turn into the most successful program in BE histry.

Now I aint sayin the Hall or Providence is gonna have that glory road. But they could. And I aint one thats gonna throw away a relationship that been built up fo 30 years.

True choz but the writing is clearly on the wall and this thing is gaining momentum.  It is out of our hands.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:25 AM »
It's out of our hands and all those programs that have football want to cast all of us out and have us rot.  Even Uconn fans think the bball-only schools are worthless.  Bottom line is that I don't want to be the school where other are making the decision to downgrade our conference.  I'm all for keeping this thing rolling instead of being irrelevant in the A-10 #2.  I know the league would probably be better than that with schools like Xavier, Temple, Memphis etc, but I wanna keep this thing rolling,  I don't want to see the Hall go, but jettisoning some of the additions like Depaul or Marquette wouldn't destroy me if it keeps this Goliath together.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 01:19:59 AM »
It's out of our hands and all those programs that have football want to cast all of us out and have us rot.  Even Uconn fans think the bball-only schools are worthless.  Bottom line is that I don't want to be the school where other are making the decision to downgrade our conference.  I'm all for keeping this thing rolling instead of being irrelevant in the A-10 #2.  I know the league would probably be better than that with schools like Xavier, Temple, Memphis etc, but I wanna keep this thing rolling,  I don't want to see the Hall go, but jettisoning some of the additions like Depaul or Marquette wouldn't destroy me if it keeps this Goliath together.

What do Uconn fans think will happen to them?  What major conference wants them.  They are going to be left playing North Dakota State and Delaware when the super-conferences start their own athletic association.  It would only be a matter of time before they drop football entirely if that happened.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »
The Big East has always been known as a premier college basketball conference! Since when has it gained ANY reputation as a premier football conference?? Adding TCU is a joke. Since when is adding Maryland adding footbal value? Central Florida? PLEASE!!! This conference is getting diluted with middle-of-the-road football schools that have no chance of competing for a national title against the Oklahomas, USC, Ohio states of this world. The BE presidents and ADs have become delusional and they should beware of what they wish for!

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 10:06:04 AM »
The Big East has always been known as a premier college basketball conference! Since when has it gained ANY reputation as a premier football conference?? Adding TCU is a joke. Since when is adding Maryland adding footbal value? Central Florida? PLEASE!!! This conference is getting diluted with middle-of-the-road football schools that have no chance of competing for a national title against the Oklahomas, USC, Ohio states of this world. The BE presidents and ADs have become delusional and they should beware of what they wish for!

I agree with you.  I'd rather leave it as is.  Adding BC back would certainly help, but doubt that would happen.   I just don't want to be the school not having a choice.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:09:19 AM by MCNPA »

redslope

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
Big Least football--what a joke.  Notre Dame won't even join even though it could get in on the guarantee BCS game.  UCONN goes to the BCS game last year and "loses" money because they had to guarantee a number of seats sold and then ended up eating a huge number of tickets.

Conspiracy theorists: this is a ploy by Jim B and Jim C; they are afraid of recruiting against Coach Steve and are trying to minimize SJU and the future.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:21:17 PM by redslope »

MCNPA

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/sports/ncaafootball/big-east-is-still-big-deal-on-tv-if-not-on-field.html

Big East on verge of 200+ million dollar deal as is.  Don't think split is coming as soon as some think.

wpc77

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 01:57:58 PM »
This line is interesting: "The Big East has at least 4 options...[4] Take a leap of faith, possibly a very lucrative one, and sign with Comcast/NBC, which is looking for a prime sports property and jumped into the Pac-12 negotiations"

I could see a deal with NBC and Versus (now known as NBC Sports Channel), where ND is the primary for football (as it is now on NBC), wherein ND remains in the basketball league and agrees (as it once did several years ago, but then apparently backed out of) to play 3-4 big east teams in football per year - while keeping it's own football cotnract with NBC separate from the big east contract.

Comcast is being very aggressive with its platform and wants to get games on Versus.  Versus could become a "Big East Network" of sorts, a hybrid between the Big 10 Network and the "Longhorn Network (with the longhorm being ND).

This would not be grat for big east hoops, however, because no one really associates Versus with college hoops, and that's where the weekday games would go.   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:19:05 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
Everytime I read stuff like this, it makes me hate college football all the more. The Big East was originally a basketball conference. Then the Miamis and Virginia Techs were let in. Next up is Texas Christian. Who's is next? BYU? Air Force?

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
Everytime I read stuff like this, it makes me hate college football all the more. The Big East was originally a basketball conference. Then the Miamis and Virginia Techs were let in. Next up is Texas Christian. Who's is next? BYU? Air Force?

Say it loud and say it clear, brother.
Say it to the ceilings!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

gman

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
I've never watched a Big East football game.  How is it?

Don Bosco could probably go .500 in the BE

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

I agree with you.  I'd rather leave it as is.  Adding BC back would certainly help, but doubt that would happen.   I just don't want to be the school not having a choice.

The following missive from the NYT proves my point re. BE Football vs. BB:

The Big East’s television fate is a bit more complicated than most leagues. It generates more revenue from basketball than football, the only major conference do so. Now a 16-team basketball power, the Big East offers an attractive inventory for basketball, a sport that doesn’t move the needle nearly as much as football. Now that football is more stable and the market is hot, the Big East is improbably poised to move past the A.C.C. financially.

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 08:18:34 PM »
Its funny but if you ask the football schools what is driving the deal, they'll say it is football.  That is the furthest thing from the truth.  What is driving a Big deal is the fact that a network can not only get a football conference but also capture the strongest bball conference in the US with 17 teams marketing and all in the most desireable media markets in the country.  They get two full seasons of too notch sports to market.  Most conferences don't provide that and none of them have our media market.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
St. John's has some power right now!  Biggest market in the country, an appealing program, an appealing coach, a top 3 recruiting class, and MSG!!

Depaul will be back in a year or two as well.  We'll have NYC, Chicago, Philly, and DC.  Good luck getting 200 mill without the basketball schools.  Barely anyone wants to see TCU play Rutgers in football, and nobody will want to tune in on ESPN to watch those two schools play basketball. 

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
Barely anyone wants to see TCU play Rutgers in football, and nobody will want to tune in on ESPN to watch those two schools play basketball. 

I think in the coming years TCU's basketball will get better as a result of being in the big east. Texas is a fertile recruiting ground, and increased exposure on ESPN can only help.

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
 :-X Sounds like Commissiner is putting cart before horse. Solve  some problems first:
 Too man teams 17 w/TCU
 ND No football w BE just BB
 Football League has 9 teams w TCU
 Geography issues Big Mess
 Football teams losing $$$ ex. Rutgers
 THEN work out economics & TV package
 Just my thoughts. Save a great BB league.

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 10:37:57 PM »

Miami and to a lesser extent Va Tech saved the Big East.  Syracuse and/or Pitt were goners in the early 90's without football.  Being an independent was not an option anymore.

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »
i was in nebraska a couple of summers ago and all everyone talked about was husker football.  i was in cincinnati last september and not one person talked about cincinnati football.

that's the state of big east football today.  adding army, navy, temple or air force won't change this.

the acc took our best football teams and they still suck. 

ras

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »
There are a lot of teams , Maybe ND should be told to join with football or hit the road.

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »
There are a lot of teams , Maybe ND should be told to join with football or hit the road.

ND brings value as a bball member.

When a split goes down, I want them in wit the other Catholic schools.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.