Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story

• 141 replies

Logen

Re: Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
There is no reason to fire Hicks over a picture, in fact it would be the height of unprofessionalism IMO. Let it play out and deal in facts, not emotion, this is a man's life and career we are talking about. I forget who but wasn't a prominent politician or politician's wife in pictures with William Gacy, the Chicago serial children murderer? Anyone in the public eye is subject to these types of situations and certainly, while not welcome, this is absolutely nothing if just a picture.

« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »
There is no reason to fire Hicks over a picture, in fact it would be the height of unprofessionalism IMO. Let it play out and deal in facts, not emotion, this is a man's life and career we are talking about. I forget who but wasn't a prominent politician or politician's wife in pictures with William Gacy, the Chicago serial children murderer? Anyone in the public eye is subject to these types of situations and certainly, while not welcome, this is absolutely nothing if just a picture.

Wayne Gacy.  Rosalynn Carter (Jimmy Carter's wife) was seen shaking hands with Gacy.

MCNPA

« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »

It's a picture.  In addition, one of Hicks' Rice players committed to Miami after this meeting.  Hicks was also mentioned by name by Shapiro.  At that point, it is no longer just a picture.  Whether anything is proven or not, its an unsavory situation that I'm sure will probably have no receipts attached, but nonetheless could potentially carry heavy stigma that could follow us.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:07:04 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2011, 10:09:53 AM »
Just don't think it's worth the perception problem we could face just for a DOBO, regardless of the fact that there are no potential repercussions to be levied by the NCAA.

What planet are you from? St. John's should just fire an employee for no just cause?? That would be a bigger negative image than Mr. Hicks being pictured sipping a glass of wine with Rick Pitino in an Italian restaurant in Louisville and then having it revealed that Saint Pitino committed fornication two hours later while his wife was in NYC?  What about the HOF coach Calhoun and his immaculate staff? Should the State od Connecticut launch an investigation into their dealings with players and coaches? Heck, let's make this whole argument retroactive to the sixties! Let's vacate most of UCLA's titles while Sam Gilbert was the UCLA players loan officer! If, and I repeat IF, there was a violation that evening in Miami while coach Hicks was sipping his free wine it was a violation for Miami! This issue is so trivial here in New York it is not worth the bandwidth on JJ!

BTW, before the NCAA changed its ever-changing rules, it was common practice to entice players by offering their high school coach a job at the recruiting school! Does Danny Manning at Kansas ring a bell?

« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Can somebody post content?  Can't get it on iPad.

I found a way around that. If you use a twitter application and click a ny post link through that (I use twitterific) then you can see NY post articles.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »
Just don't think it's worth the perception problem we could face just for a DOBO, regardless of the fact that there are no potential repercussions to be levied by the NCAA.

What planet are you from? St. John's should just fire an employee for no just cause?? That would be a bigger negative image than Mr. Hicks being pictured sipping a glass of wine with Rick Pitino in an Italian restaurant in Louisville and then having it revealed that Saint Pitino committed fornication two hours later while his wife was in NYC?  What about the HOF coach Calhoun and his immaculate staff? Should the State od Connecticut launch an investigation into their dealings with players and coaches? Heck, let's make this whole argument retroactive to the sixties! Let's vacate most of UCLA's titles while Sam Gilbert was the UCLA players loan officer! If, and I repeat IF, there was a violation that evening in Miami while coach Hicks was sipping his free wine it was a violation for Miami! This issue is so trivial here in New York it is not worth the bandwidth on JJ!

BTW, before the NCAA changed its ever-changing rules, it was common practice to entice players by offering their high school coach a job at the recruiting school! Does Danny Manning at Kansas ring a bell?

Like I said, still surprised everybody is okay with this.  Hope it is as much of a non-issue as most seem to think.

MCNPA

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
Can somebody post content?  Can't get it on iPad.

I found a way around that. If you use a twitter application and click a ny post link through that (I use twitterific) then you can see NY post articles.

It doesn't work through the one I'm using now.  I'll download a new one.

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »

I have to agree with Moose here.  Furthermore i think it's foolish to dismiss someone on perception rather than fact. 

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »

Like I said, still surprised everybody is okay with this.  Hope it is as much of a non-issue as most seem to think.

I think we are all more than a little worried.  NCAA problems or not, we don't need the perception.  Everytime we land a recruit the Marco Baldi's of every other fan base talk about Lavin paying players or about our salary cap.  The perception is there right now retained or fired.  Firing the man without more proof is just not right.  Hicks wasn't even employed with an NCAA school, so getting his drinks paid for means nothing.

We fire Hicks--a guy who everybody likes in NYC--and we could face a fallout.  We don't need that either.   

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2011, 10:35:12 AM »
I think we are all more than a little worried.  NCAA problems or not, we don't need the perception.  Everytime we land a recruit the Marco Baldi's of every other fan base talk about Lavin paying players or about our salary cap.

Mainly, from fan bases, in which we've beat out for a recruit, and a couple of Big East foes.  I think y'all can figure out those conference schools.  It's called hate and fear.

Marillac

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »
I think we are all more than a little worried.  NCAA problems or not, we don't need the perception.  Everytime we land a recruit the Marco Baldi's of every other fan base talk about Lavin paying players or about our salary cap.

Mainly, from fan bases, in which we've beat out for a recruit, and a couple of Big East foes.  I think y'all can figure out those conference schools.  It's called hate and fear.

No doubt, but it still stains the accomplishment even if is very minor. 

Moose

« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
Zags joins the party.  I disagree that this is the 2nd time we are in a bad light.  The Harkless thing was NOT a bad light.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/19/st-johns-hicks-raising-eyebrows-again/#more-56336
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:52 AM »

I can recall being in the 9th grade and the buzz going on that George Felton was gonna land a bonanza-like recruiting class by garnering signatures from the best of the best (high schoolers) in South Carolina.  This particular bunch had won a national AAU title.

Stanley Roberts, Joe Rhett, Barry Manning and Everick Sullivan.  Those were the top 4 players in the state of SC in the class of '88.  Three of 'em were amongst the top 50 players in the class (Roberts, Rhett and Sullivan), while Manning was a top 100 guy.  Word has it Manning played some of the best defense (at the Beach Ball Classic) on Kenny Anderson that many had seen. 

Anyway....  Those four were all supposedly headed to South Carolina.  LSU's head man, Dale Brown, offered Jim Childers (Roberts' head coach at Lower Richland High) an assistant position and that was all she wrote for the Gamecocks.  Sullivan then headed to Louisville and the Gamecocks were only able to land Rhett and Manning.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:16:38 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
Zags joins the party.  I disagree that this is the 2nd time we are in a bad light.  The Harkless thing was NOT a bad light.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/19/st-johns-hicks-raising-eyebrows-again/#more-56336

Just trying to make it more than it is.

« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2011, 11:47:50 AM »
I usually like Zags, but he is just stirring the pot. Is he kidding me this is the second time? The Harkless thing is a joke of a probe.

« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »
Lets get right to the heart of the allegation and not beat 'round the bush like some y'all is doin.

Some y'all is accussin Moe of sellin Durand Scott to The U.

Ridic in the most extreme. And heres why:

Durand has been gettin letters since he was a biddy. By the time summer of '08 was in swing, he was settlin in on three schools that was on him hardest: UConn, Pitt and Miami.

Reason he didnt choose Pitt:
Lamar Patterson gave a an early verbal to Pitt, but that didn't pay no attention wit Durand who thought he was better. But then Lamar started blowing up over the summer of '08. Eventually transferred hisself to St. Bennies in Newark wit Danny Hurley from some small school. So that cut Pitt.

Reason he didnt choose UConn:
Kemba was workin him like y'all wouldnt believe. Then Nate Miles goes bye-bye so Durand think this may be the spot. But Kemba then starts practicin and bein the whippin boy for Jimmy C and Kemba aint talkin up the program like he did. Then UConn got itself a verbal from James Coombs-McDaniel and so UConn wudn't what it looked to be. Gloss wearin off.

Reason he chose Miami:
Jorge Fernandez had been scoutin Russ Smith fo years and then discovered Durand when both was playin for the Choz back in '05 or '06 (I think, years melt t'gether these day).  Russ wasnt developin like some thought and so Jorge started recruitin Durand hard. Then they get Malcolm Grant to transfer in from Nova. The sell from Haith was: you and Malcolm and the backcourt is your's for years. Do yo NYC thing down here against Duke and Carolina and Maryland night in and out.

Look at the players that come outta Rice and outta the Choz fo the last decade or so. They aint no one school they being shipped to. Thats cuz Moe did things the right way. Wudnt no shoppin round. Wudnt no gifts. Kids and fams made the decisions. That wuz the rule.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
Lets get right to the heart of the allegation and not beat 'round the bush like some y'all is doin.

Some y'all is accussin Moe of sellin Durand Scott to The U.

Ridic in the most extreme. And heres why:

Durand has been gettin letters since he was a biddy. By the time summer of '08 was in swing, he was settlin in on three schools that was on him hardest: UConn, Pitt and Miami.

Reason he didnt choose Pitt:
Lamar Patterson gave a an early verbal to Pitt, but that didn't pay no attention wit Durand who thought he was better. But then Lamar started blowing up over the summer of '08. Eventually transferred hisself to St. Bennies in Newark wit Danny Hurley from some small school. So that cut Pitt.

Reason he didnt choose UConn:
Kemba was workin him like y'all wouldnt believe. Then Nate Miles goes bye-bye so Durand think this may be the spot. But Kemba then starts practicin and bein the whippin boy for Jimmy C and Kemba aint talkin up the program like he did. Then UConn got itself a verbal from James Coombs-McDaniel and so UConn wudn't what it looked to be. Gloss wearin off.

Reason he chose Miami:
Jorge Fernandez had been scoutin Russ Smith fo years and then discovered Durand when both was playin for the Choz back in '05 or '06 (I think, years melt t'gether these day).  Russ wasnt developin like some thought and so Jorge started recruitin Durand hard. Then they get Malcolm Grant to transfer in from Nova. The sell from Haith was: you and Malcolm and the backcourt is your's for years. Do yo NYC thing down here against Duke and Carolina and Maryland night in and out.

Look at the players that come outta Rice and outta the Choz fo the last decade or so. They aint no one school they being shipped to. Thats cuz Moe did things the right way. Wudnt no shoppin round. Wudnt no gifts. Kids and fams made the decisions. That wuz the rule.

Thank you Choz!
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
I think people are under reacting.  It's an insidious connection that we just don't need.  There was no reason for him to be there with Miami coaches nor Shapiro.  This is just a connection we don't need when things are going real well for us.  Nobody going to buy the wrong-place, wrong-time scenario.  Best say our goodbyes to Hicks and move on IMO.  Dissociating from Hicks at this point would be a good PR move and tell people we aren't involves in that type of business. 

Understand your intent but what you are essentially saying is that anyone who has been directly or peripherally involved in big time athletics shouldn't be considered for employment at STJ.  There are guys like this at every big time school in the country as it regards his booster activity both with incoming recruits and their coaches and existing players.

Remember, it's his ponzi scheme that he's actually in trouble for which has nothing to do with the school or players except that it allowed him to fund his boosterism.  Once he got caught he obviously decided to just talk and talk and talk thinking it might help him with his legal troubles to throw something/anything else under the bus.  If every booster decided to talk and talk and talk then by your standards I guess we'd have to make you coach since there'd be no one left to hire.

Cynical and exaggerated I know but no less so than your unmeasured reaction to the situation.

redslope

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
wow; after all my year's of schooling, I have just learned that someone is guilty until proven innocent under American jurisprudence.

thanks for your comments Choz

PS-NCAA is investigating Coach Lavin for he was seen in the same building as Haitch and Shapiro when broadcasting a Miami BB game and they also want to look into Bobby Bowdin who was seen annually with Miami football coach and Shapiro And Coach K has also been seen in the same place at the same time as Haitch and Shapiro numerous times
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:55:40 PM by redslope »

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
This would be Lavin's second such investigation after he was seen sitting just s few chairs away from Jim Harrick at most of Harrick's public appearances for an entire season.