Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story

• 141 replies

jr49

Re: Moe Hicks mentioned in THE U Scandal Story
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »
I think we are all more than a little worried.  NCAA problems or not, we don't need the perception.  Everytime we land a recruit the Marco Baldi's of every other fan base talk about Lavin paying players or about our salary cap.

Mainly, from fan bases, in which we've beat out for a recruit, and a couple of Big East foes.  I think y'all can figure out those conference schools.  It's called hate and fear.

No doubt, but it still stains the accomplishment even if is very minor.
No it don't. What stain and what accomplishment? Right now Mo's our guy, and he says it's nothing. How about we just forget it?

Moose

« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2011, 01:30:55 PM »
This would be Lavin's second such investigation after he was seen sitting just s few chairs away from Jim Harrick at most of Harrick's public appearances for an entire season.

But correct me if I'm wrong but Harrick was fired over a pretty small minor paying for dinner offense?  You can google Lavin and NCAA violations and your coming up empty.  I did that right when we hired him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2011, 01:47:42 PM »
This would be Lavin's second such investigation after he was seen sitting just s few chairs away from Jim Harrick at most of Harrick's public appearances for an entire season.

But correct me if I'm wrong but Harrick was fired over a pretty small minor paying for dinner offense?  You can google Lavin and NCAA violations and your coming up empty.  I did that right when we hired him.

First, that was a joke response to the guy that had everyone and their mothers under investigation for their interactions with this bozo as well as some posters' penchants for assigning guilt by association.  Lavin was associated with Harrick.

Re Harrick, he wasn't fired for the dinners, he was fired for lying to his bosses and the NCAA about it.  It seems to happen that way a lot mostly because by lying about it, like Pearl, you can then no longer plead ignorance or misunderstanding of the rule and save your job.

Moose

« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »

First, that was a joke response to the guy that had everyone and their mothers under investigation for their interactions with this bozo as well as some posters' penchants for assigning guilt by association.  Lavin was associated with Harrick.

Re Harrick, he wasn't fired for the dinners, he was fired for lying to his bosses and the NCAA about it.  It seems to happen that way a lot mostly because by lying about it, like Pearl, you can then no longer plead ignorance or misunderstanding of the rule and save your job.

A smiley face or lol would have prevented that.

Yes it was lying.  About the dinners.  I did remember it was a rather small offense and the coverup.

Wods317

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
That Zags article is ridiculous, the title alone makes Mo and the team look bad. We aren't even sure Mo did anything wrong and he's calling him out as if this is his second big offense. What did he do wrong with Harkless? nothing. Harkless played for a team Mo didn't even coach and then moved on. Why is Mo to blame for the NCAA launching a ridiculous investigation, he has not been proved to have done anything wrong, that article and the title are very unfair.

MCNPA

« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »
That Zags article is ridiculous, the title alone makes Mo and the team look bad. We aren't even sure Mo did anything wrong and he's calling him out as if this is his second big offense. What did he do wrong with Harkless? nothing. Harkless played for a team Mo didn't even coach and then moved on. Why is Mo to blame for the NCAA launching a ridiculous investigation, he has not been proved to have done anything wrong, that article and the title are very unfair.

Like I said, fair or not perception becomes reality. 

Moose

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »

Like I said, fair or not perception becomes reality. 

Perception?
More like 21st century media trying to increase page views and twitter followers.

MCNPA

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
Lets get right to the heart of the allegation and not beat 'round the bush like some y'all is doin.

Some y'all is accussin Moe of sellin Durand Scott to The U.

Ridic in the most extreme. And heres why:

Durand has been gettin letters since he was a biddy. By the time summer of '08 was in swing, he was settlin in on three schools that was on him hardest: UConn, Pitt and Miami.

Reason he didnt choose Pitt:
Lamar Patterson gave a an early verbal to Pitt, but that didn't pay no attention wit Durand who thought he was better. But then Lamar started blowing up over the summer of '08. Eventually transferred hisself to St. Bennies in Newark wit Danny Hurley from some small school. So that cut Pitt.

Reason he didnt choose UConn:
Kemba was workin him like y'all wouldnt believe. Then Nate Miles goes bye-bye so Durand think this may be the spot. But Kemba then starts practicin and bein the whippin boy for Jimmy C and Kemba aint talkin up the program like he did. Then UConn got itself a verbal from James Coombs-McDaniel and so UConn wudn't what it looked to be. Gloss wearin off.

Reason he chose Miami:
Jorge Fernandez had been scoutin Russ Smith fo years and then discovered Durand when both was playin for the Choz back in '05 or '06 (I think, years melt t'gether these day).  Russ wasnt developin like some thought and so Jorge started recruitin Durand hard. Then they get Malcolm Grant to transfer in from Nova. The sell from Haith was: you and Malcolm and the backcourt is your's for years. Do yo NYC thing down here against Duke and Carolina and Maryland night in and out.

Look at the players that come outta Rice and outta the Choz fo the last decade or so. They aint no one school they being shipped to. Thats cuz Moe did things the right way. Wudnt no shoppin round. Wudnt no gifts. Kids and fams made the decisions. That wuz the rule.

Choz, I'll give you this hypothetical.

You and all the neighbors see the pool boy running out of your house in the middle of the afternoon while your wife is home with his pants at his ankles.  Regardless of the list of reasons to the contrary, you're going to have a hard time convincing yourself and everybody else in the neighborhood that he was just at your house because your wife was hemming his pants.  get my drift?

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »

You and all the neighbors see the pool boy running out of your house in the middle of the afternoon while your wife is home with his pants at his ankles.  Regardless of the list of reasons to the contrary, you're going to have a hard time convincing yourself and everybody else in the neighborhood that he was just at your house because your wife was hemming his pants.  get my drift?

Understandable, MCN.  But, sometimes the truth is stranger than a lie. 

MCNPA

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »

No doubt Mj.  I'm not trying to vilify Hicks. I don't know what happened and don't care. I just don't like what this stuff opens our program up to.  Zags just another example of the crap we're going to be dealing with.  Don't want to see it. 

« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »

No doubt Mj.  I'm not trying to vilify Hicks. I don't know what happened and don't care. I just don't like what this stuff opens our program up to.  Zags just another example of the crap we're going to be dealing with.  Don't want to see it. 

I understand yours and others arguments.  Both sides are making valid points.  Hopefully, we won't hear much about this at the end of the day. 

It seems most boards are focused on getting players in for unofficials and officials; NFL; G'town's brawl and the "U."  Maybe, it isn't nothing and doesn't take away from what we're currently building.   
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:22:54 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »
Lets get right to the heart of the allegation and not beat 'round the bush like some y'all is doin.

Durand has been gettin letters since he was a biddy. By the time summer of '08 was in swing, he was settlin in on three schools that was on him hardest: UConn, Pitt and Miami.

Lamar Patterson gave a an early verbal to Pitt, but that didn't pay no attention wit Durand who thought he was better. But then Lamar started blowing up over the summer of '08. Eventually transferred hisself to St. Bennies in Newark wit Danny Hurley from some small school. So that cut Pitt.

Kemba was workin him like y'all wouldnt believe. Then Nate Miles goes bye-bye so Durand think this may be the spot. But Kemba then starts practicin and bein the whippin boy for Jimmy C and Kemba aint talkin up the program like he did. Then UConn got itself a verbal from James Coombs-McDaniel and so UConn wudn't what it looked to be. Gloss wearin off.

Reason he chose Miami:
Jorge Fernandez had been scoutin Russ Smith fo years and then discovered Durand when both was playin for the Choz back in '05 or '06 (I think, years melt t'gether these day).  Russ wasnt developin like some thought and so Jorge started recruitin Durand hard. Then they get Malcolm Grant to transfer in from Nova. The sell from Haith was: you and Malcolm and the backcourt is your's for years. Do yo NYC thing down here against Duke and Carolina and Maryland night in and out.

Look at the players that come outta Rice and outta the Choz fo the last decade or so. They aint no one school they being shipped to. Thats cuz Moe did things the right way. Wudnt no shoppin round. Wudnt no gifts. Kids and fams made the decisions. That wuz the rule.

Drift?

Son, I think yo seriously in need of help. No joke.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »

Reason he chose Miami:

But right now the closest scenario just seeing the pool boy walking out the house fully clothed. And basically for all we know is he cleaned the pool.

It's not like Mo has been even remotely caught doing anything yet and Choz info that he just gave is pretty compelling.

Case in point. If a picture of me surfaced at a restaurant from several years ago at a restaurant with friends and Madoff does that mean there is something suspicious about me ?

jr49

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2011, 05:40:22 PM »

Reason he chose Miami:

What your analogy describes is Mo getting a 4 inch stack of bills handed to him by coach Stan. Thats something, and whats out there is almost nothing.

crgreen

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »

You actually invited me to correct you?  :)

Harrick wasn't fired over the "minor dinner offense" - which was falsifying his expense report to show two coaches wives were at attendance at the dinner, instead of the 2 roster players not allowed at a recruiting dinner (Harrick was entertaining hischool players Jaron and Jason Collins).   He was fired for submitting the falsified document,  lying to the University investigator about it when questioned, Lying to the NCAA investigator about it, coercing his assistant coach Michael Holton to lie to the NCAA, attempting to coerce Holton's WIFE to lie to the NCAA, and counselling the two roster players involved (one of the them the Jungle oft-tweet quoted Kris Johnson) to lie to the NCAA.  Holton's wilfe was a budding attorney, and he finally grew a set and fessed up when he realized what her perjuring herself in the NCAA investigation might mean to HER career...

The NCAA report on the matter specifically states that UCLA was spared SIGNIFICANT penalties due to their quick and decisive action in firing Harrick  - UCLA was already under an "institutional control" probaton over "Tanya-Gate" - the basic hiring of Austrailian softball star Tanya Harding (not skater Tonya Harding) - who pitched UCLA to the Softball world series while never attending a class, and departing home for Austrailia as soon as the Series was over - the school was on the cusp of crippling sanctions.

crgreen

« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »

Apologies to Yankcranker and Moose - I didn't read Cranker's response to Moose (or Mooses folllowup to him) before posting my own response.   

MCNPA

« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »

Reason he chose Miami:

Drift?

What do you think I'm in need of help with son?  Just because you think it's no big deal doesn't mean it doesn't make it an issue for St. john's.

« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »

Reason he chose Miami:

Drift?

What do you think I'm in need of help with son?  Just because you think it's no big deal doesn't mean it doesn't make it an issue for St. john's.

Cause you writin bout some mid-afternoon poon that I aint got no intrest in and bringin my wife in the pic. The hell son?

Here's my hypothetical:

You and me is on the battlefield 'gainst the Germans. And they got the artillary comin. So I get out my shovel and dig a foxhole. I jump in. And before you do, I put up a sign:

"This here foxhole is reserved for GI's who got they band of brothers' back during tough times and wont turn them in to the Germans. So find another foxhole! Love, Choz4Life."

Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

LJSA

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2011, 12:19:13 AM »
I once read on here that Choz4Life is Mo Hicks, so everything he says in this thread needs to be taken with a grain of salt. ;D

wpc77

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2011, 01:50:04 AM »
HA! Choz, that was the best post on the history of this board, and I think this thread should now be officially locked in its honor (among other reasons).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:50:46 AM by wpc77 »