What can we really expect realistically from the team this year?

• 35 replies
Re: What can we really expect realistically from the team this year?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »
I'm thinking along the lines of Marillac. The one thing that would change that to me is Nuri. If he comes in and pulls a Hatten/Dwight Hardy and if GG gives us a nice contribution and couple that with solid production with attitude from Harrison then it's a best case scenario and we have a shot at the NCAA's

I can't remember the last time I actually complained about a schedule being too tough but this schedule is killer. I'm not complaining too much just that I think it's going to hurt us in the wins column this year but the experience these kids will get are what's going to make us start destroying teams the following year

Up and down play, due to inexperience.    But what might be accomplished by years end?   Think about it.   1 thru 10 of the roster.   Is there any of those 10 spots other than returnee Stith that won't have superior TALENT to last years team?

I think you are not giving Hardy nearly enough credit for what he did last year.

kg44

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
I expect to be competing for the Big East Championship in the next few years.

We have some very talented freshmen coming in who are ranked anywhere between #30 and #100.

While this is an impressive haul for a single recruiting class, the fact is that the rosters of  the top Big East teams are already littered with these type of highly ranked players (or better), many of whom will be juniors and seniors. 

I just can't wait to see these guys compete and get better.  And to see who else Lavin adds for 2012 and 2013.

Foad

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 03:52:21 PM »
I think you are not giving Hardy nearly enough credit for what he did last year.

And not just Hardy. How likely is it that any of these kids play defense better than Horne, are better around the basket han Brownlee, or rebound as well as Kennedy? Are they better potentially, individually and as a group? Undoubtedly. But about half of last years team is playing professionally. These kids just got out of HS. It's a whole different world. 

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »
.500 this year with elite eight the following year.

I would say those are "Goals" that we all would  be very happy with right now.
What still scares me the most is we have 1 player over 210 lbs.
We might get pushed around a lot under the boards this year.
Molloy '71

crgreen

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 06:21:32 PM »
I'm thinking along the lines of Marillac. The one thing that would change that to me is Nuri. If he comes in and pulls a Hatten/Dwight Hardy and if GG gives us a nice contribution and couple that with solid production with attitude from Harrison then it's a best case scenario and we have a shot at the NCAA's

I can't remember the last time I actually complained about a schedule being too tough but this schedule is killer. I'm not complaining too much just that I think it's going to hurt us in the wins column this year but the experience these kids will get are what's going to make us start destroying teams the following year

Up and down play, due to inexperience.    But what might be accomplished by years end?   Think about it.   1 thru 10 of the roster.   Is there any of those 10 spots other than returnee Stith that won't have superior TALENT to last years team?

Hardy gave us terrific senior production.  But Talent?  He had the same talent as a 10pt, LESS than ONE assist, LESS than 41% shooter as a junior.

I think there are at least two guards on this 2012 team with more TALENT than Hardy.   How much that will show during their frosh years is what this whole debate is about.   But Hardy wasn't really the 2011 Hardy till after he'd played his 29 games in 2010.    What I'm saying is what might THESE kids be with 29 games under THEIR belts - and just heading into post season!

ras

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »
If the team can sneak into the NCAA  tourney, they will have experience by the end of the year and  maybe even  win a game or 2 in the touney.

Gumby

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 07:33:16 PM »
I would like to see consistency this season.  By that I mean, we start to get better as the season goes on.  You want to get to the point that come tournament time (probably NIT, but the NCAA would be nice for the kids to test the waters for the following year) we know what to expect from our new players.  Their roles should been defined by then.

I thought last season's team had average player's, with the exception of Hardy, when he was hot.  DJ and the JB boys (a well as DP) were inconsistent, as they disappeared for parts of the season.

And I agree, I think the play of Nuri will be a key factor in our success.

I believe with the signing of KA (hopefully), Nuri, if he is an effective player, will hang around for his junior year to seek the NCAA gold.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 12:17:10 AM »

Hardy gave us terrific senior production.  But Talent?  He had the same talent as a 10pt, LESS than ONE assist, LESS than 41% shooter as a junior.

I think there are at least two guards on this 2012 team with more TALENT than Hardy.   How much that will show during their frosh years is what this whole debate is about.   But Hardy wasn't really the 2011 Hardy till after he'd played his 29 games in 2010.    What I'm saying is what might THESE kids be with 29 games under THEIR belts - and just heading into post season!

The difference between Hardy this year and his junior year is a world class coach.

crgreen

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 03:33:50 AM »

The difference between Hardy this year and his junior year is a world class coach.

And what I'm thinking is that all 9 of our newbies are goting to have that world class staff from the get-go.  So if anything, I expect their learning curve to be even superior to that of last years team.   Why I expect them to be doing tremendous things after 28-30 games and heading into postseason.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »

And what I'm thinking is that all 9 of our newbies are goting to have that world class staff from the get-go.  So if anything, I expect their learning curve to be even superior to that of last years team.   Why I expect them to be doing tremendous things after 28-30 games and heading into postseason.

I'm not sure it works that way.  The kids need the six months between their frosh and soph year to work on improving their weaknesses, watch tape, lift, and work together.  There is a helluva difference between having 33 games under your belt in March than having 33 games under your belt the following October. 

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »

Unless you pull a Fab 5 or pay for a Calipari class, this many Frosh no matter how talented are going to struggle! It is a fact. 500 and a NIT would be great. As a comparison look to the Sealy /Werdann frosh team. Don't get me wrong I am very  much looking forward to this season and beyond but some of you are going to be wrongfully disappointed!

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 11:18:56 AM »
And not just Hardy. How likely is it that any of these kids play defense better than Horne, are better around the basket han Brownlee, or rebound as well as Kennedy? Are they better potentially, individually and as a group? Undoubtedly. But about half of last years team is playing professionally. These kids just got out of HS. It's a whole different world. 

This.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »
Think low you will get low.

Shoot high and push as hard as you can.

If you shoot for Kathy Ireland you will get a better result than shooting for Kathy Bates...I guess I am showing my age (Kathy Ireland was THE SI Swimsuit model for you youngins')

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
Think low you will get low.

Shoot high and push as hard as you can.

If you shoot for Kathy Ireland you will get a better result than shooting for Kathy Bates...I guess I am showing my age (Kathy Ireland was THE SI Swimsuit model for you youngins')

You can HOPE as high or low as you want but you should never ignore common sense. If you hope you can survive getting run over by a car that is that is fine. If you EXPECT to be able to survive getting hit by a car and start wandering into traffic you are going to have a problem. Or to use your analogy, you can hope to bang Brooklyn Decker (Thought I would make your analogy more current) but if you EXPECT it and ignore women that are in your league you are going to be very lonely.

I hope they out perform expectations but common sense dictates this season will be a struggle won / loss wise. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:59:38 AM by we are sju »

RedVet

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
Expectations need to be tempered.

All the long-range shootin, blocked shots, dunkin and dimes cant make up fo a good screen, boxin out, a hard cut, movin witout the ball, help D and evry other lil thing that makes you a winner.

And they just dont teach those things in high school or AAU.

They will learn. It just gonna take some time.

Agree completely, Choz. Like everyone else I'm excited about the level of talent we'll have, but given the competition these kids will be facing game after game after game, the physicality of the BE, somewhat of a question mark at the critical PG spot, and to-be-answered questions about their ability to absorb what their coaches are teaching and how long it will take to mesh as a team, the learning curve will be awfully steep. The potential is certainly there, but, as you put it, expectations to finish in the top five or so of the BE and win 20+ games need to be tempered. 

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
... Or to use your analogy, you can hope to bang Brooklyn Decker...

I hadn't realized just how much I missed you until this comment!