• 266 replies

Dan

Re: Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
Out of the three, we REALLY need Pelle.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
Lenny wake up, derwin kictchen and rodney epperson both ruled inelig under the great norm. Just a bump in the road

Rodney Epperson was all Jarvis.

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:02 PM »
Out of the three, we REALLY need Pelle.

I agree. I said from the start, Pelle was our most important recruit. Good luck at San Diego St., Fisher will get him eligible

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »
Anyone know how often players who are ruled ineligible end up sitting out and staying with the team that they committed to? Or do they usually re-open their recruitments?
Aren't the players technically still under scholarship?  The school takes the hit because they're footing the bill for the players to be in school, but they're not yet playing.  Or am I off a bit?

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
D'Angelo Harrison show going to start a little early.

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
D'Angelo Harrison show going to start a little early.
Gonna be Bo Agee in Hoop Dreams: "Let It Rain!!!!!"  :2funny:

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
Thank God Stith didnt transfer out

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »
Take a deep breath and relax.  The class of 6 is still outstanding.  And with any luck we may get some or all of the 3 come December.

I know it stinks and the staff needs to take a bit of the blame here although I will argue that this was more a product of both the overloading of the 2011 class and the fact that Coach Lavin chose to pursue high level talent including some iffy kids in such a short period of time.  In other words '13, '14 and beyond the staff will be able to pursue both high quality talent and be a bit more choosy with kids simply because they will have fewer spots and more options and more time to evaluate both talent and academics.

But again all is not lost. 

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
Of course Robbins is a tool. He should just report the news instead of putting his half-assed spin on things.

Bottomline, Lavin was compelled to put out a huge recruiting net to haul in as many players as he could due to the lack of recruiting thought process and numerous transfers under the prior regime. Despite that situation, he has been able to haul-in a bunch of high end talent that will play at the start of this coming season. Hopefully, these three kids will do all that they have to do now to get on the court with the team as soon as possible- I mean if the kids did what they were supposed to do from an academic standpoint we would not be in this position.
I put this issue more on the kids and their parents and/or guardians than I do on Lavin and his staff who have done an outstabding job up to this point and I believe will continue to do so for a long time.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »

It doesn't matter. We have one eligible big man. Lavin has his work cut out for him. I can't understand how 3 players could get this far without qualifying. We'll be lucky to win 12 games.

SJUFAN

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
Going forward, what are the possible options that would make them eligible?
Prep school? JC? A semester at STJ’s?

I’m confused….what makes them not eligible? Did they not graduate HS?

Moose

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »

It doesn't matter. We have one eligible big man. Lavin has his work cut out for him. I can't understand how 3 players could get this far without qualifying. We'll be lucky to win 12 games.

I'll take over.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
Going forward, what are the possible options that would make them eligible?
Prep school? JC? A semester at STJ’s?

I’m confused….what makes them not eligible? Did they not graduate HS?

You can graduate HS but still be unable to play.  NCAA Clearinghouse has its own set of rules the go by.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
Take a deep breath and relax.  The class of 6 is still outstanding.  And with any luck we may get some or all of the 3 come December.

I know it stinks and the staff needs to take a bit of the blame here although I will argue that this was more a product of both the overloading of the 2011 class and the fact that Coach Lavin chose to pursue high level talent including some iffy kids in such a short period of time.  In other words '13, '14 and beyond the staff will be able to pursue both high quality talent and be a bit more choosy with kids simply because they will have fewer spots and more options and more time to evaluate both talent and academics.

But again all is not lost.

It sucks, but would it have been better if out of the 11 scholarships open, Lavin landed 3 other marginal guys that would be taking up roster space and schollies this year?  It was a daunting task to fill a roster of 13 with 11 guys.  Lavin had to take some risks.  This would be a total non-issue if we had the normal 3-5 ships to give.  Is year is a rebuilding year in total.  I wasn't expecting to have 3 guys ineligible and I don't think the staff was either, but it is what it is.

Regardless of whether we get one eligible or all three, this problem won't be around next season as laving won't have to fill an entire class and wont have to take as many risks.  As far as Jakarr goes, I'll be pisses if he re-opens his recruitment.  Staff worked hard to try to get him here.

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »

Come on Poison you're better then that.  No doubt this is not a good day.  But don't lose hope.  December may bring some relief.

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
Heard the news driving in to work this evening. It's a hit for us but I am still looking forward to this season regardless. Lenny Roberts is in the business of selling papers so expect him to be over the top. Bottomline is we still have a talented class coming in and a coaching staff that will have them prepared. Bring on the season!

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »
This is terrible news.  And if I'm being honest, only 1 of these 3 will show up in December.  So 2011-2012 season is not going to be what we all thought.  BUT....

This now opens two more ships (If only 1 of 3 show up in Dec) for 2012.  If Lavin can get Anderson, Jefferson and A BIG for 2012-2013 this negative could turn into a positive in just one year.  In Lavin we trust!!!!

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
This is terrible news.  And if I'm being honest, only 1 of these 3 will show up in December.  So 2011-2012 season is not going to be what we all thought.  BUT....

This now opens two more ships (If only 1 of 3 show up in Dec) for 2012.  If Lavin can get Anderson, Jefferson and A BIG for 2012-2013 this negative could turn into a positive in just one year.  In Lavin we trust!!!!
If you're being honest, you know it to be a fact? I hope not. I'm hoping at least two make it back.  Norvel is the ??? JaKarr sounds gone from what everyone is saying, although it's not substantiated yet.

boo3

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:36 PM »
 wow.  This kinda sucks.  Didn't Villanova make the Final 4 one year with 4 guards and a forward?   God's Gift better be just that.