Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall

• 266 replies

sju89tr

Re: Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »
Doesn't matter whose fault it is. it just sucks. I also want to give the players the benefit of the doubt and another chance. But we need a contingency plan. We cant just hope they all qualify and come back in december. 7 players cant get it done.

There is not much that the staff can do at this point, we are not finding a rotational guy as a walkon. We need at least 2 back but all 3 would be better. We were loyal to these kids, they need to do whatever it takes to get eligible for the teammates and friends on the team.

Moose

« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
Doesn't matter whose fault it is. it just sucks. I also want to give the players the benefit of the doubt and another chance. But we need a contingency plan. We cant just hope they all qualify and come back in december. 7 players cant get it done.

There are really no contingency plans for this year.  Unless some former basketball player is on the corner of Union and Utopia taking classes but elected not to play basketball.  The ship has pretty much sailed for this year.  Only additions can really be the 3 returning.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2011, 09:46:50 AM »
If it it were up to me, and if it were possible, I would cut all ties and communication with these kids, kindly show them the door, and never welcome them back.  I don't know all the details of their ineligibility, but if they don't have the smarts or discipline to make themselves eligible, I don't want them associated with this university at all.  It's absolutely embarrassing.
this post is absolutely embarassing.  really, really embarassing.

Sorry but I can't have a pity party for a group of men who can't seem to get their sh*t together.....thousands and thousands, if not millions, of college students have no trouble making themselves eligible every year, why couldn't these kids?

NCAA has certain core requirements for classes that must be taken and how many in particular subjects.  You can graduate from H.S. and be accepted into college without meeting these core requirements.  If it is indeed one particular class they needed to make up their core requirements for eligibility, it did not keep them from being able to be accepted as students here or possibly other schools.

So is it kind of like the Matt Leinart situation his senior year at USC, when he took a ballroom dancing class?   For example, say these kids needed 30 credits their senior year to graduate, but like 3 of them were for classes that didn't matter or count for anything with the NCAA (aka ballroom dancing)??

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »

We were loyal to these kids, they need to do whatever it takes to get eligible for the teammates and friends on the team.

No doubt, no doubt.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2011, 10:09:10 AM »
As far as JaKarr is concerned his AAU coach is definitely saying he is going to prep school and SJU is going to be seriously looked at but that other schools being  considered.  Per Brian Snow of scout.com:

"We went through the appeal process with the NCAA but at the end of the day they determined he's ineligible and that he can go to prep school in order to qualify, meet NCAA standards and get on a college court as soon as possible," Anderson said.

Sampson has begun the process of trying to find the right prep school for him.

"As of right now we are undecided on what prep school we will attend," Anderson said. "We are looking at all options in finding the right one for Jakarr."

While St. John's will remain seriously involved in Sampson's recruitment, he'll also listen to others.

"Jakarr loves St. John's; he really respects and loves the coaches there but he's going to keep all of his options open in order to find the right school for his future," Anderson said.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1107109.html

MCNPA

« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »
I think Amir will be fine.  I want to know what Pelle has to do and what the plan is there...

« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
As far as JaKarr is concerned his AAU coach is definitely saying he is going to prep school and SJU is going to be seriously looked at but that other schools being  considered.  Per Brian Snow of scout.com:

"We went through the appeal process with the NCAA but at the end of the day they determined he's ineligible and that he can go to prep school in order to qualify, meet NCAA standards and get on a college court as soon as possible," Anderson said.

"As of right now we are undecided on what prep school we will attend," Anderson said. "We are looking at all options in finding the right one for Jakarr."

While St. John's will remain seriously involved in Sampson's recruitment, he'll also listen to others.

"Jakarr loves St. John's; he really respects and loves the coaches there but he's going to keep all of his options open in order to find the right school for his future," Anderson said.

hmmmm. I love SJU - check; I love and respect the coaches - check; I loved it enough to sign a LOI and commit - check.  I want to look at all options - huh?  I still think SJU is the place to be for JaKarr, but I'm continually baffled by some of these AAU coaches and advisors...At times like these, I definitely know I am from a different era.

MCNPA

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »

If he loves SJU and the coaches, he should be at SJU.  He will earn PT even with Gathers here, which I think is his concern.  Id still love to see this kid here, not playing for another team.  Keep him in the family.

sju89tr

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »

hmmmm. I love SJU - check; I love and respect the coaches - check; I loved it enough to sign a LOI and commit - check.  I want to look at all options - huh?  I still think SJU is the place to be for JaKarr, but I'm continually baffled by some of these AAU coaches and advisors...At times like these, I definitely know I am from a different era.

At some other school will they find a miracle solution to this problem. The kid had bad academics to begin with, I think Jakarr owes it to Mo, Nuri, Greene, GG, Stith, Dom, Harrison, and even Jamal to get on campus in December rather than waste more time looking at another school. The only thing that should be on Jakarr's mind should be time in the classroom 24/7 rather than take visits to other schools.   Geez 

pmg911

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »
I am not trying to be a downer at all becuse this situations sucks on a few different fronts but its highly unlikely we ever see any of these kids suit up for St. John's.

The process to get these kids eligible is just not simple or easier.

There is no question the staff took calculated risks with a few of these kids but they had a lot of slots to fill and they were not doing anything that most programs deal with every year.

« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »

At some other school will they find a miracle solution to this problem. The kid had bad academics to begin with, I think Jakarr owes it to Mo, Nuri, Greene, GG, Stith, Dom, Harrison, and even Jamal to get on campus in December rather than waste more time looking at another school. The only thing that should be on Jakarr's mind should be time in the classroom 24/7 rather than take visits to other schools.   Geez
Exactly.  The pull to be back with the guys would put me in overdrive, as Amir and Norvel are.  I want JaKarr to feel it too, but I do not think it's the best PR to come out with that statement now.  We should support the guys to the fullest, especially since (imho) the 2A doesn't even remotely try any preemptive measures to assist borderline student athletes.  By sophomore year, we all know who might hit rough waters.  Why doesn't the 2A do an outreach program to schools where they can interface with school counselors and the students?  Of course I'm wishing for too much, but it sure would eliminate this biased, uneven process.  Every HS program is different on top of that, so there already are built in hurdles.

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
I am not trying to be a downer at all becuse this situations sucks on a few different fronts but its highly unlikely we ever see any of these kids suit up for St. John's.

The process to get these kids eligible is just not simple or easier.

There is no question the staff took calculated risks with a few of these kids but they had a lot of slots to fill and they were not doing anything that most programs deal with every year.
none? Ugh...The situation must be worse than I realized.

DFF6

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2011, 10:36:11 AM »

Admittedly, I do not fully appreciate the situation Jakarr is confronting as a result of being deemed ineligible.  As a fan of SJU BB,  I am disappointed that Jakarr has not come out and pledged his allegiance to SJU and committed himself to being eligible to play for SJU in the Spring.  However, what I don't understand is, if Jakarr picked us over all of the other schools that were recruiting him last year, why has his academic ineligibility changed his view of SJU?   

pmg911

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
DFF - because Jakkar knows SJU has a STUD power forward coming next year who is probably better player than he is.

DFF6

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2011, 11:00:07 AM »
DFF - because Jakkar knows SJU has a STUD power forward coming next year who is probably better player than he is.

That's an interesting take pmg, which I didn't consider.  However, I thought this group of recruits were not afraid to compete for playing time among other talented kids.  No doubt Gathers looks to be the STUD, I just didn't think Jakarr would bolt from the program because of a little competition from a 2012 recruit.

« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
Bottomline, Lavin was compelled to put out a huge recruiting net to haul in as many players as he could due to the lack of recruiting thought process and numerous transfers under the prior regime.

I knew this was all Bush's Norm's fault.

Norm recruited poorly, players were booted, shirley!

Actually all this is Norm's fault.  If that incompetant, poor excuse for a hoops coach didn't put the coaching staff in such a position where they had to bring in so many kids, perhaps they would have been more select with regards to their academic standing.

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2011, 11:03:31 AM »
Here's a funny quote by a BB poster to lighten things up a bit:

"Coach Lavin actually had the players take their own tests?  nice person"

~ Coach Calipari

SJU79

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2011, 11:14:30 AM »
Just heard it wasnt even really a debatable issue, and one of them isnt even close

MCNPA

« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »
Just heard it wasnt even really a debatable issue, and one of them isnt even close

What's your take moving forward with these 3 and Kyle if I might ask?

« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2011, 11:24:27 AM »
Here's a funny quote by a BB poster to lighten things up a bit:

"Coach Lavin actually had the players take their own tests?  nice person"

~ Coach Calipari
Wonder if Lenny poked Norm under the sheets to get some input into his Post article. As for Ncaa not accepting
 the summer courses the 3 guys took then it appears to be a blunder by the University not to have gotten assurance that these courses would get them eligible. That is if any courses would INDEED have insured their eligibility.