Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall

• 266 replies
Re: Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall
« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2011, 05:22:43 PM »
According to Zags and Borzello Jakarr's former AAU coach says he's doing post grad YEAR at Brewster.

Here is the story http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/09/17/jakarr-sampson-to-brewster/

crgreen

« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »
  The straight A 's across the board is a bit perplexing.   How about a few B s and C s?    Doesn't anyone know how to cheat anymore?  ;)

I believe SJU's Sean Evans also is a Rise Academy alum.  He was cleared.

No one cared if Evans cleared or not.  No offense Bobre.  Lavin and St. John's has a target on their back now.   Have 9 great recruits, send three to this shady place and all three get straight A s.  Someone blows a whistle , opens up Pandora's box. 

I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong.  It just looks bad.  It sucks.

You think if those 3 recruits were headed to Texas or USC their classes at Rise would have been scrutinized? :police:  I wouldn't mind except that the NCAA had been accepting everybody coming out of Rise until our recruits submit coursework from there.  NCAA's haphazard process is what bothers me.  Rise Academy had been fine for the NCAA until the day our recruits show their Rise classes.

Good question.  I don't have an answer for that.  In the back of my mind i think there is more to this.  maybe Calhoun tipped someone off?  :)   Anyone ever heard of a B-?   Lord knows i have.

Has it occurred to anyone maybe they got A's in the summer school classes because they EARNED A's?    All three essentially took off from basketball for two months (maybe for the first time in their lives).

Moose

« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
According to Zags and Borzello Jakarr's former AAU coach says he's doing post grad YEAR at Brewster.

Here is the story http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/09/17/jakarr-sampson-to-brewster/

Article is vague.  Both tweets said YEAR.  Article just says going back to Brewster.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2011, 05:28:21 PM »

Article is vague.  Both tweets said YEAR.  Article just says going back to Brewster.

Just posting it for those curious

« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »
  The straight A 's across the board is a bit perplexing.   How about a few B s and C s?    Doesn't anyone know how to cheat anymore?  ;)

I believe SJU's Sean Evans also is a Rise Academy alum.  He was cleared.

No one cared if Evans cleared or not.  No offense Bobre.  Lavin and St. John's has a target on their back now.   Have 9 great recruits, send three to this shady place and all three get straight A s.  Someone blows a whistle , opens up Pandora's box. 

I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong.  It just looks bad.  It sucks.

You think if those 3 recruits were headed to Texas or USC their classes at Rise would have been scrutinized? :police:  I wouldn't mind except that the NCAA had been accepting everybody coming out of Rise until our recruits submit coursework from there.  NCAA's haphazard process is what bothers me.  Rise Academy had been fine for the NCAA until the day our recruits show their Rise classes.

Good question.  I don't have an answer for that.  In the back of my mind i think there is more to this.  maybe Calhoun tipped someone off?  :)   Anyone ever heard of a B-?   Lord knows i have.

Has it occurred to anyone maybe they got A's in the summer school classes because they EARNED A's?    All three essentially took off from basketball for two months (maybe for the first time in their lives).

Thats what i'm saying, its absurd if true that the NCAA doesn't believe them. Just because they haven't done well in the past doesn't mean they are not capable of getting good grades

« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
Tweet from Zagoria:

"Don Anderson says JaKarr Sampson remains committed to St. John's #stjbb"

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria

Moose

« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »

Just posting it for those curious

Article is updated with more details.

jr49

« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
Now what?  Where does Lavin/St. John's go from here?  Do they try to secure more verbals for next years class now (one more or three more) so that they're not 3 players short AGAIN next season 2012-2013?  ...and If so, than WHO?
I never got the feeling coach Steve stopped recruiting, and he knows who to go after.

Marillac

« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »
Can we show these kids some love on twitter ? cmon guys.

« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »
Tweet from Zagoria:

If he only needs to finish 3 courses as it has been reported, I can't see how he won't get it done and hopefully he'll be in a St. John's uniform by December.

ras

« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »
On a positive note Pelle is tweeting he really appreciates the support from the fans. I was worried about him. Id rather have him play in Dec but if he plays next year we"ll be in great shape for 2012 -13. The odds are Garrett will be back in Dec. We really need that 6"10 body.

« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56:28 PM »
On a positive note Pelle is tweeting he really appreciates the support from the fans. I was worried about him. Id rather have him play in Dec but if he plays next year we"ll be in great shape for 2012 -13. The odds are Garrett will be back in Dec. We really need that 6"10 body.

Seems like Sampson will be back with Garrett. Still not sure on whats going on with Pelle but things seem like they are getting better then I first imagined

« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
Tweet from Zagoria:

Hell yeah JaKarr!  Get it done and we'll see you in Queens real soon!

Good news...Really hope to see Pelle here with Sampson and Garrett...This staff will help gets these guys ready for the next level and they are all very important to the program

Dan

« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2011, 06:17:17 PM »
Again, Pelle is the biggest of them all, figuratively and literally.  And from what I've seen, there's no tweets or what have you regarding Pelle affirming his commitment to STJ.  Sampson and Garret have, which is great to hear.  It'll be a rough start of the year, but as long as they get here.

« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
Again, Pelle is the biggest of them all, figuratively and literally.  And from what I've seen, there's no tweets or what have you regarding Pelle affirming his commitment to STJ.  Sampson and Garret have, which is great to hear.  It'll be a rough start of the year, but as long as they get here.

This was Pelle's tweet:

norvel STiX pelle
I want all my st johns fans/family to knw tht I luv yall and appreciate yall wit the support ur giving me. #stjbb

Interpret it however you want. To me, it's a positive sign that he still wants to be at St. John's.

Dan

« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2011, 06:32:30 PM »

This was Pelle's tweet:

norvel STiX pelle
I want all my st johns fans/family to knw tht I luv yall and appreciate yall wit the support ur giving me. #stjbb

Interpret it however you want. To me, it's a positive sign that he still wants to be at St. John's.

It's definitely not a bad thing.  I hope they can all be here in December, but that's probably a pipe dream, right?

« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »
Sources told The Post that Garrett and Sampson are contacting prep schools in order to gain eligibility. They are considering Bridgton Academy in Massachusetts, Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, South Kent School in Connecticut and IMG Academy in Florida.
They will need to take three classes each. If each player passes three classes, they would be eligible to enroll at St. John’s for the spring semester, just in time for the start of league play.

----------------------

Though the players received A grades across the board, more than what was needed to attain eligibility, the NCAA felt St. John’s was trying to manipulate the system. They denied all the grades, leaving the players with one option: make up the work in prep school.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/riding_out_the_storm_ineligible_vdAH6HXzJz88cIhpOAszmI#ixzz1YFl2kMc4

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Dan

« Reply #237 on: September 17, 2011, 06:59:14 PM »
that sounds promising, but in what way does the clearinghouse think st. john's was trying to manipulate the system?

Moose

« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »
Sources told The Post that Garrett and Sampson are contacting prep schools in order to gain eligibility. They are considering Bridgton Academy in Massachusetts, Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, South Kent School in Connecticut and IMG Academy in Florida.
They will need to take three classes each. If each player passes three classes, they would be eligible to enroll at St. John’s for the spring semester, just in time for the start of league play.

----------------------

Though the players received A grades across the board, more than what was needed to attain eligibility, the NCAA felt St. John’s was trying to manipulate the system. They denied all the grades, leaving the players with one option: make up the work in prep school.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/riding_out_the_storm_ineligible_vdAH6HXzJz88cIhpOAszmI#ixzz1YFl2kMc4

Were not making ourselves friends with the NCAA in this.  That I REALLY don't like

SJUFAN

« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
I dont have all the facts but this is complete Bull S*** if the NCAA isn't clearing them because they dont believe they were capable of getting these grades. Hopefully this isn't the case and the truth will come out soon

I don't care how "suspect" it may be for these kids to obtain their grades, its from an NCAA accredited school. Unless the NCAA have proof that these grades were not earned legitimately, I can not understand for the life of me how they could be so bold to rule them ineligible. It stinks to high heaven and this is a flaw in the legal system. The NCAA may have open themselves up to a law suit, but who has the time and mainly the money to make this issue a public matter. These obnoxious bastards are probably banking on the fact that most of the families that they screw over don't have the resources to challenge their authority. Hopefully all three of these young men suit up in time for Big East play and eventually help STJ win a National Championship!