Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall

• 266 replies

Gumby

Re: Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall
« Reply #240 on: September 17, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
"Though the players received A grades across the board, more than what was needed to attain eligibility, the NCAA felt St. John’s was trying to manipulate the system. They denied all the grades, leaving the players with one option: make up the work in prep school."

I am with the other posters.  How did St. John's "manipulate the system"? I, as do all other teachers, submit our grades at the end of the semester.  All the college has is the final grades.  How does an outside institute (like St. John's) manipulate the grades?

Are we talking about a form of stereotyping or discrimination here?

I have had "A" students receive "C" grades and vice versa.  One of the main reasons why a struggling student may do better than his/her prior record would indicate is motivation.  You have to think that our three recruits were very highly motivated to do well so they could begin both their college education and their college basketball careers.

I really wish the NCAA would come out with its specific reasoning for the manipulation charges.  For one thing, besides hurting the three students, it puts a blemish on Coach Lavin and St. John's. 

Law School Alumni, we could use your help here!

Moose

« Reply #241 on: September 17, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »
"Though the players received A grades across the board, more than what was needed to attain eligibility, the NCAA felt St. John’s was trying to manipulate the system. They denied all the grades, leaving the players with one option: make up the work in prep school."

I am with the other posters.  How did St. John's "manipulate the system"? I, as do all other teachers, submit our grades at the end of the semester.  All the college has is the final grades.  How does an outside institute (like St. John's) manipulate the grades?

Are we talking about a form of stereotyping or discrimination here?

I have had "A" students receive "C" grades and vice versa.  One of the main reasons why a struggling student may do better than his/her prior record would indicate is motivation.  You have to think that our three recruits were very highly motivated to do well so they could begin both their college education and their college basketball careers.

I really wish the NCAA would come out with its specific reasoning for the manipulation charges.  For one thing, besides hurting the three students, it puts a blemish on Coach Lavin and St. John's. 

Law School Alumni, we could use your help here!

Maybe they are talking about the fact that STJ sent them all to the same summer school?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Wods317

« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2011, 11:14:09 PM »
Sources told The Post that Garrett and Sampson are contacting prep schools in order to gain eligibility. They are considering Bridgton Academy in Massachusetts, Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, South Kent School in Connecticut and IMG Academy in Florida.
They will need to take three classes each. If each player passes three classes, they would be eligible to enroll at St. John’s for the spring semester, just in time for the start of league play.

----------------------

Though the players received A grades across the board, more than what was needed to attain eligibility, the NCAA felt St. John’s was trying to manipulate the system. They denied all the grades, leaving the players with one option: make up the work in prep school.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/riding_out_the_storm_ineligible_vdAH6HXzJz88cIhpOAszmI#ixzz1YFl2kMc4

If this is what ends up happening that would be very good news for us. Honestly we all knew this could be a rebuilding year where we took our lumps so if we can get at least Jakarr and Garrett to be back by league play and ready for next year that would be a good outcome to this story. Also to take a positive approach on this issue all the guys who are left are going to get a ton of pt and add a full year of Jakarr, Garrett, Gathers and a couple others we would still be in great shape for the future.

MCNPA

« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2011, 08:47:13 AM »
Sources told The Post that Garrett and Sampson are contacting prep schools in order to gain eligibility. They are considering Bridgton Academy in Massachusetts, Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, South Kent School in Connecticut and IMG Academy in Florida.
They will need to take three classes each. If each player passes three classes, they would be eligible to enroll at St. John’s for the spring semester, just in time for the start of league play.

----------------------

Though the players received A grades across the board, more than what was needed to attain eligibility, the NCAA felt St. John’s was trying to manipulate the system. They denied all the grades, leaving the players with one option: make up the work in prep school.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/riding_out_the_storm_ineligible_vdAH6HXzJz88cIhpOAszmI#ixzz1YFl2kMc4

If this is what ends up happening that would be very good news for us. Honestly we all knew this could be a rebuilding year where we took our lumps so if we can get at least Jakarr and Garrett to be back by league play and ready for next year that would be a good outcome to this story. Also to take a positive approach on this issue all the guys who are left are going to get a ton of pt and add a full year of Jakarr, Garrett, Gathers and a couple others we would still be in great shape for the future.

If we get through this with Jakarr and Garrett joining for league play and missing only Pelle, we're in fantastic shape.  Garrett and Sampson can pass 3 classes.  No problemo.  Lavin just needs to use Pelle's scholarship for a center in 2012 if he's not in the mix.  That said, i want Norvel here even if it takes another year to get him here.  A year of prep isnt a bad thing for Norvel both in the physical and mental maturity process of things.  Get him in the NEPSAC for a year and get him ready for college ball.  He has quite a future in basketball if he stays the course. 

IMO the best decision he could make is to stick with St. John's, Lavin and people who care about him.  He comes here and he does have that kind of support.  I think all 3 kids know that Lavin will go to bat for them and is trying hard to keep them on board.  I want to see every one of our 10 recruits suit up for SJU and become Alums.  There aren't many places that these kids will get that support whether or not they play basketball ala Rob Thomas.  There's certainly something special here.  I want to see all of them a part of it if possible.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:57:13 AM by MCNPA »

Gumby

« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »
Bottom line, we really need to know what the heck the NCAA means by "manipulating".  Sending three recruits to an accredited school is not manipulation.  It is following the book.

So what happens when Amir and Jakarr (and Norvel) go to prep schools and again receive three "A's".  Will the NCAA yell out "Manipulation" again?  They are playing with the lives of three great kids.

So perhaps we do need to begin"manipulating" and ask our kids not to do so well with their grades next time.

This is all so strange.  Usually the problem is kids not doing well enough in such situations, not the reverse.

« Reply #245 on: September 18, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »
The NCAA will not respond to charges of inconsistency, contradiction and inequitable procedures and decisions. That, my friends, is the nature of the beast. No matter how persuasive and legitimate the issues raised (e.g., those put forth by Gumby) it is like whistling in the wind when it comes to this Byzantine institution.

If our guys do what has to be done they will be back wearing SJU uniforms in a few short months. It is unlikely that this will be a disaster of epic proportion. Sampson and Garrett have already shown that they are willing to take this setback like a man and I expect to hear the same from Pelle shortly. They will grow and enjoy widespread respect by showing they can overcome adversities of this sort.

We can do likewise.

« Reply #246 on: September 18, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »
If our guys do what has to be done they will be back wearing SJU uniforms in a few short months. It is unlikely that this will be a disaster of epic proportion. Sampson and Garrett have already shown that they are willing to take this setback like a man and I expect to hear the same from Pelle shortly. They will grow and enjoy widespread respect by showing they can overcome adversities of this sort.

We can do likewise.

No doubt about it, qc!  I, honestly believe we see 2 of the 3, if not all 3, by the time we get into conference play. 

« Reply #247 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
There seems to be many opinions about different combinations of the 3 not eventually ending up at St J. But why? They all signed with us, were close to enrolling at the school and seemed all in and in love with the Johnnies. So why the heck wouldn't all 3 still want to end up at St J?

Marillac

« Reply #248 on: September 18, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »
This could end up being a good thing.  It gives guys like Greene and GG some big minutes and it will allow Nuri and especially Harrison to jump right into big time scoring roles. 

I really hope we see all three in December.  Garrett seems the most serious about it, but Sampson and Pelle are locks for near 30 minutes per game. 

« Reply #249 on: September 18, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
This could end up being a good thing.  It gives guys like Greene and GG some big minutes and it will allow Nuri and especially Harrison to jump right into big time scoring roles.

Exactly what I think.

Poison

« Reply #250 on: September 18, 2011, 06:24:04 PM »

I really hope we see all three in December.  Garrett seems the most serious about it, but Sampson and Pelle are locks for near 30 minutes per game. 

We'll learn a lot about what they're made of very soon.

« Reply #251 on: September 18, 2011, 09:15:37 PM »
Tweeted about this a bunch yesterday and why these kids would be ineligible while recieving A grades.  Dan Wolken, who has covered college basketball for a while, tweeted back to me that when kids do these summer courses at schools to qualify, the NCAA will usually ask the student to turn in ALL evidence of schoolwork (tests, essays, homework, etc) from these courses as proof that legitimate work was done.  So is it possible that these kids couldn't turn in legitimate proof of work to the NCAA?? Yea.  Is it also possible that these kids did turn in work and the NCAA ruled them ineligible simply because it "smelled fishy"?? Absolutely.  You never know with the NCAA.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #252 on: September 18, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »
There seems to be many opinions about different combinations of the 3 not eventually ending up at St J. But why? They all signed with us, were close to enrolling at the school and seemed all in and in love with the Johnnies. So why the heck wouldn't all 3 still want to end up at St J?

You could be right, but who knows now what they're going to decide on doing.  The only thing we know for sure right now is that we don't know anything for sure regarding all 3 players.  Now it becomes more of an uncertainty, and that's not an ideal situation nor can it even be viewed as a good thing going forward.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:31:14 PM by Lapchick1 »

Moose

« Reply #253 on: September 18, 2011, 11:36:06 PM »
Anyone think HallDan can give us odds on which players make it here in December?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #254 on: September 18, 2011, 11:45:08 PM »
Anyone think HallDan can give us odds on which players make it here in December?

Well then mj could tell us what was exactly on the minds of all three and rebutt whatever halldan has to say only to agree with halldans last rumor.

« Reply #255 on: September 18, 2011, 11:51:37 PM »

Well then mj could tell us what was exactly on the minds of all three and rebutt whatever halldan has to say only to agree with halldans last rumor.

Still yapping, fabricator?

« Reply #256 on: September 19, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
1. Lots of people who think of college sports as amateur sports think the kids are fairly compensated, using a private college figure of 40-50K per year.

Is college worth that much? Is it worth that much to everyone?

Because that changes rather wildly dependent on profession - you can't tell me someone who uses college as finishing school/ to get her "mrs" degree has the same value on college as someone whose goal is a 6-figure salary. Or do you mean the sticker price, which also varies wildly?

I loved college. I found a lot of value in it. But it's a bit of a scam. And it's necessary for many of us as an entry requirement into a certain class of job.

But if your job is basketball, school isn't really a requirement - it's only a requirement insofar as the NBA and NCAA collude to make it so. I'm not making the "pay the players" argument here, just trying to get y'all thinking with a little nuance about what "compensation" means. They are essentially forced to play in college - there is no secondary market for their talents.

There are secondary markets.  Look at Jeremy Tyler.  Hoops players should count theselves lucky, football players really do have no options/secondary markets. 

However think of the player like a private company.  They want to maximize their value at the time of their IPO whether their stock is going to be bought by the NBA or an overseas team they want it sell at as high a value (salary) as possible.  The NCAA lets a lot of kids maximize the value of their first pro contract.  This is apparent given the fact that even when they were allowed to only 8 or so HS players would jump straight to the NBA draft.  For the others playing college hoops is an investment in their future even if they don't take full advantage of the educational opportunity afforded them. 

Given that situation the only equitable solution for folks who look at it like Choz is a real baseball style minor league where these kids don't have to go to school.  But that would have to be underwritten by the NBA as it has no chance of being profitable and I don't really think the NBA is that interested paying for it given the limited number of new players it really needs to add each year.

« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2011, 02:34:56 PM »

Heres the thing. I dont mean no disrepct to your son and I appreciate the arts immensely.

But the marketplace values an 18-year-old who can run and jump and sink a J at the highest level more than an 18-year-old who plays jazz at the highest level.

But the 18-year-old baller can't benefit by his talents to his fullest capacity because the NCAA is a multi-billion dollar monopoly under the guise of a non-profit wit a social mission.

The ballers are a labor force. The NCAA and its members are employers.  And the fans create the marketplace. 

Take away the NCAA and y'all still got the marketplace wanting to see (and pay for) 18-year-olds who can run and jump and sink a J. Except now, they can be justly compensated under a new employer.

So lemme ask you this... yo son ever get paid for a gig playin the sax while he was still in school? Even if he didn't he had the ability to. He had the ability to benefit from his talents to his fullest capacity. A baller cant do that. And thats the problem.

Peace out!

Understand your frustration but it is also delusional to think that the market would bear a minor league basketball system where kids are getting paid $50K per year.  We've already seen minor basketball league after minor basketball league fall by the wayside, not all of them due to Isiah Thomas' ineptitude, and that was with players who were able to establish recognition through their years playing on college teams.  With regard to pro ball history has shown us it's NBA and only NBA that the general public care about, oh that and the Harlem Globetrotters.  Props to Slick Willie.

Another thing I think a lot of folks don't give much credence to is that if all these kids walked away from the NCAA and started this sure to fail hoops league college basketball would soldier on.  Folks like to support their schools/alma maters.  They're always going to be more invested in their school's basketball team then any individual player.  Tickets will always be sold.  Merchandise will always be sold.  Fun will always be had, whether it's played at the present level or a notch below. 

Yes I believe for 4400 of the 4500 Div 1A basketball players each year a full ride is more than sufficient compensation.  The other 100 can look at the options available to them overseas straight out of HS or lobby the NBAPA to change the rules back and try their luck jumping straight to the draft.  I wish the NBA would allow kids to be drafted out of HS so we could see what a crap argument this is for kids who can run and jump and shoot a J.

Amir Garrett, JaKarr Sampson, & Norvel Pelle
« Reply #258 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »
As of today None of the 3 will qualify until next season should they decide to stay. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again...

Re: Amir Garrett, JaKarr Sampson, & Norvel Pelle
« Reply #259 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
As of today None of the 3 will qualify until next season should they decide to stay. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again...