ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt

• 171 replies
ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt
« on: September 16, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »

Re: Syracuse and Pitt in Talks With A.C.C.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »
Syracuse, Pitt, the ACC, and the Big East - "No Comment"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/sports/ncaafootball/syracuse-and-pitt-in-talks-with-acc.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Why would these schools want to be in a lesser hoops conference?  Theres Carolina, Puke and that's it.

uwsfan

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/17/sports/ncaafootball/syracuse-and-pitt-in-talks-with-acc.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Why would these schools want to be in a lesser hoops conference?  Theres Carolina, Puke and that's it.

To excape a lesser football conference.

Kind of saw this coming, although i thought that the Big10 would nab Cuse. The BE might still recover by adding the Kansas schools, Iowa St and others.....thats if too many more dont bolt

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »

To excape a lesser football conference.

Kind of saw this coming, although i thought that the Big10 would nab Cuse. The BE might still recover by adding the Kansas schools, Iowa St and others.....thats if too many more dont bolt

Next up will be WV and Rutgers. (WV because of their football tradition and Rutgers because of their media market). Followed by UConn. The inevitable football/basketball split is beginning.  I can only wonder how TCU feels right now.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »
Basketball only Vatican conference on the way
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
Why hasn't the BE done what the ACC just did- increase the penalty for withdrawal? Seems logical to protect the conference

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 01:19:45 PM »
St. John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Depaul, Seton Hall, Xavier, St Joe's anyothers? For a hoops only conf. I know it wont happen, but the hoop schools need a plan
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:21:02 PM by erickthered »

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
Basketball only Vatican conference on the way

awesome comment i am down for that

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
St. John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Depaul, Seton Hall, Xavier, St Joe's anyothers? For a hoops only conf. I know it wont happen, but the hoop schools need a plan

I think it is very likely....

Add Villanova unless they decide to upgrade football.  Add Dayton and St. Louis

East:
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Georgetown
Villanova

West:
Dayton
Xavier
Marquette
Depaul
Notre Dame

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 01:54:11 PM »
I wouldn't count on Villanova. It's being reported they also have contacted the ACC about joining.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »
I hate these schools with a passion that put mediocre football ahead of great basketball and tradition  :tickedoff:

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
I wouldn't count on Villanova. It's being reported they also have contacted the ACC about joining.

Villanova is a long way away from a viable D1 football program.  I don't think they're going anywhere but with bball schools.  No big conferences want Nova football.

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
Replace villanova with St Joe then.  I imagine uconn will be begging the acc too.  I  think its inevitable we end up in basketball only
It will be sad to see the big east dissolve but no doubt it happens

Poison

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
Syracuse is a D2 football program. They almost lost to Rhode Island at home. Darryl Gross is an absolute disease.

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »
Replace villanova with St Joe then.  I imagine uconn will be begging the acc too.  I  think its inevitable we end up in basketball only

If we're going to be replacing schools in the Big East, I still don't think it has to be with non-football schools.  There will still be schools like Temple, Memphis and others that aren't going to be playing football at one of the Big Conferences.  I'd prefer some of those schools.  Don't mind if the football league moves to CUSA-level, but I still think that some of those lower tier football programs with decent basketball programs might be a better fit.  I'd rather a Temple rather than St. Louis, St. Joe's etc.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »

I would.  No way the ACC takes Nova.  NO WAY!!!!  You know who else could really suffer? UConn.

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »
Syracuse is a D2 football program. They almost lost to Rhode Island at home. Darryl Gross is an absolute disease.

Maybe URI is just really good at football  :)

desco80

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »

If we're going to be replacing schools in the Big East, I still don't think it has to be with non-football schools.  There will still be schools like Temple, Memphis and others that aren't going to be playing football at one of the Big Conferences.  I'd prefer some of those schools.  Don't mind if the football league moves to CUSA-level, but I still think that some of those lower tier football programs with decent basketball programs might be a better fit.  I'd rather a Temple rather than St. Louis, St. Joe's etc.

That's a good point.  Plus there's simply not enough room for all the football schools to join the sec/acc.... Louisville, Cincinnati, aren't a lock to get an invite to a big conference anytime soon.

ras

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
I also like the idea a maintaining the BE.  Schools like Kansas, K.State, Memphis and Central  Florida are all viable options. It wouldn't be the same  but its a good alternative.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
Does anyone think that St. John's should have expanded their football team instead of eliminating it? Or that it was simply a money pit and it was the right move?

Also could it be a good thing (as long as St. John's end keeps heading in a right direction) that depending on things turn out that they actually leave the Big East and form a basketball conference only conference. The good with with NCAA basketball is that to get into the big dance you don't need to be in a power conference, and we would not have to worry about all shifting in college football?

Cougar O' Malley