ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt

• 171 replies

TONYD3

Re: ACC accepts Cuse and Pitt
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
Read last night on espn.com that both teams still want to schedule st. Johns. They want to play in ny for recruiting. My first thought was fxck them. The more I think about it, we are going to need to play a top out of conference schedule. Still hoping for Memphis and kansas.

dandy

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »
blacklist them.  syracuse's chancellor said they're adding an NYC flavor to the acc, they can go to hell.  They want to schedule st. johns, they get to play on campus.

[edit]HEY, first post!  YAAY!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:20:11 AM by dandy »

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
From the Zags article:

Syracuse Chancellor and President Nancy Cantor said: “We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC, a region in which we have built strong identity and affinity, and we look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple. Overall, for Syracuse, this opportunity provides long-term conference stability in what is an uncertain, evolving, and rapidly shifting national landscape.”

WTF?  I thought I couldn't hate Syracuse more than I already did.  This takes it to another level.  I hope Dolan and MSG show some loyalty to St. John's and not allow them too much access to the Garden.  I can't wait for Boeheim to retire and for their basketball program to become as crappy as their football program.

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2011, 10:32:47 AM »
Is it time for us to start looking to move as well??

For us, we bank on the Big East being a powerhouse for basketball, and we just lost two of the best, most consistent teams....

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
I'm sick. There is nothing, absolutely nothing good that comes out of this for St. John's.

gman

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
From the Zags article:

Syracuse Chancellor and President Nancy Cantor said: “We are pleased that Syracuse adds a New York City dimension to the ACC, a region in which we have built strong identity and affinity, and we look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple. Overall, for Syracuse, this opportunity provides long-term conference stability in what is an uncertain, evolving, and rapidly shifting national landscape.”

WTF?  I thought I couldn't hate Syracuse more than I already did.  This takes it to another level.  I hope Dolan and MSG show some loyalty to St. John's and not allow them too much access to the Garden.  I can't wait for Boeheim to retire and for their basketball program to become as crappy as their football program.

MSG better not let them schedule games.  They bring upstate, not NYC. 

Poison

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
What loyalty should msg show to SJU? We let the BE walk all over us for 7 years.
When SU claimed that they were NY's team, they were right-and they were only right because we made them right.

How many times did they smack us around on "our" home court? It was effortless for them.

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »
Most recruits choose to play at pitt or cuse because they are and have been the top teams in the big east, and like the physical play in the conf. Now they are recruiting acc type players vs duke and nc, in my opinion a different type of player. And if your talented enough to play at duke or nc and are an acc type player why pick pitt or cuse? How many of our recent recruits had acc teams on their list? Look at kyle he came down to 3 big east teams (all with no football) a pac12 and sec school. In the long run it will hurt  these programs that they sacrificed top hoop programs for very mediocre football programs at best.

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
We should move our games vs them in the next two years to Queens.

MCNPA

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »
We should move our games vs them in the next two years to Queens.

AWESOME idea!!!  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »
I'm sick. There is nothing, absolutely nothing good that comes out of this for St. John's.

Get over it.  Syracuse isn't doing us any favors and never has.

MCNPA

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2011, 11:31:16 AM »
Most recruits choose to play at pitt or cuse because they are and have been the top teams in the big east, and like the physical play in the conf. Now they are recruiting acc type players vs duke and nc, in my opinion a different type of player. And if your talented enough to play at duke or nc and are an acc type player why pick pitt or cuse? How many of our recent recruits had acc teams on their list? Look at kyle he came down to 3 big east teams (all with no football) a pac12 and sec school. In the long run it will hurt  these programs that they sacrificed top hoop programs for very mediocre football programs at best.

Boeheim is going to retire soon, and they will have to try to claim ACC success with Mike Hopkins at the helm.  Good luck.  I can see Jamie Dixon leaving Pitt actually and eventually heading back West for a job like Cal, USC or Stanford.  I don't think the move to the ACC will bring such great success as they think it will. 

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2011, 11:31:55 AM »
What loyalty should msg show to SJU? We let the BE walk all over us for 7 years.
When SU claimed that they were NY's team, they were right-and they were only right because we made them right.

How many times did they smack us around on "our" home court? It was effortless for them.

So you're saying we should fold up our tents and go home.  Because we were bad for a decade, we should concede the agrden to Syracuse?  You think they deserve MSG because they beat us there in the last few years.  What about all the years that we filled the Garden?  What happens to MSG if/when Syracuse basketball declines after Boeheim is gone, if they've pushed us out.  Cuse isn't going to play 10 games a year there.  We will.

I suppose the Garden can host he ACC tournament and the BE tourney can move to Newark.

SJUFAN

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »

Get over it.  Syracuse isn't doing us any favors and never has.

The Big East will be alright. These "super conferences" can only be so big. Other football schools with good basketball programs will jump at the chance to play in the Big East ala Kansas and Memphis. If we take care of our own, and we remain a top tier basketball program, then we will fill the seats of MSG with our own fans. We don't need SU or Pitt, and maybe eventually Ucon, to fill the seats of MSG. Take care of our own and the rest will take care of itself. Additionally, all of these ex Big East schools will all still want to schedule STJ because of the market we are in. We are in much better shape than any of the other basketball only schools going forward as long as we have Lavin.

ras

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
When BC left the BE Calhoun said he wasn't going to schedule them anymore and he hasn't. We should not schedule Syracuse, which will hurt their NYC recruiting and help ours.  May be the BE should jump on Boise State or BYU, good football programs not associated with a major conference.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
The other positive is that The North East cares way more about College Basketball then College football. Syracuse fans don't really care about their football program, and unless they start playing football games in NYC I don't see how attendance will go up in Syracuse. who would want to watch Pitt and Syracuse of Network TV, unless the opposing team wants to watch their team destroy them? The big issue is that Basketball makes a lot less money then college football so what remains of the Big East will have to deal with that. Also in terms of Basketball the ACC went from two really good basketball teams to four so the quality in the ACC is still not there for now. The hard part is waiting for the smoke to clear and why is the big east caught with their pants down again?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »
Dolan is loyal to greenbacks not St J. He will schedule Syr for money purposes as will Barclays Center.

MCNPA

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2011, 12:06:55 PM »
Add Kansas and we replace Cuse easily.  Add Memphis and we lose nothing bball-wise.  Several other teams would be great as well.  It will work itself out.  I just hope the big east adds two teams this week.  No more waiting around.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »
St. John's has options in terms of playing in the city and playing in Brooklyn also the ideal of not scheduling ACC can  Syracuse is a good one because their alumni will not drive all the way to  Syracuse to watch a game. ACC can rotate their tournament into MSG but that would be only a year. The Syracuse footprint may actually shrink because they will have less games in the NYC area. Most people outside of New York really don't realize how far away Syracuse is from City. Syracuse alumni are stuck between a rock  and a hard place to attend games because all their games are now far away.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2011, 12:22:48 PM »
Big East is dead. It's going to collapse and leave catholic schools by themselves. UConn will be the next to leave
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle