I think we're in for a brutally long St. John's season in basketball

• 51 replies
Re: I think we're in for a brutally long St. John's season in basketball
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
this team is no different than norms teams and i still think this team is better

Norm had Tyler Jones, Lamont Hamilton, Dexter Gray, Phil Missere and Mo Diakite.

Lavin has one big man for this season.

Do you not believe this team is better than the above-mentioned from a talent standpoint?

Experience might be overrated, but depth isn't, and that will hurt us no matter what.

I can't really argue with you there.  Hopefully, we get some monster play out of our guards.
I'm going to need 10 bottles of Tums this season. Both the Storm and Terps go in severely undermanned down low.  It's going to have to be a lot of 4 guards sets.  Yes, a slower pace may be a necessity at times.  I think it will vary game by game depending upon opponent.

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »
this team is no different than norms teams and i still think this team is better

Norm had Tyler Jones, Lamont Hamilton, Dexter Gray, Phil Missere and Mo Diakite.

Do you not believe this team is better than the above-mentioned from a talent standpoint?

Experience might be overrated, but depth isn't, and that will hurt us no matter what.

I can't really argue with you there.  Hopefully, we get some monster play out of our guards.
I'm going to need 10 bottles of Tums this season. Both the Storm and Terps go in severely undermanned down low.  It's going to have to be a lot of 4 guards sets.  Yes, a slower pace may be a necessity at times.  I think it will vary game by game depending upon opponent.

Slower pace? I think we need to run. Get these guys in the sickest shape of their lives and push the tempo. Lavin has nothing to lose, not too much expected this year

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »

Slower pace? I think we need to run. Get these guys in the sickest shape of their lives and push the tempo. Lavin has nothing to lose, not too much expected this year
I should have qualified the at times - at times meaning games with foul trouble, games where a more zone may be needed due to matchups.  Other than that, I agree with up tempo to take advantage of our guys' skill set that is built for pushing up court.

ras

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
I could never understand why so many SFs were recruited. We had Polle at the time and felt we could use another 4 or 5.

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
I could never understand why so many SFs were recruited. We had Polle at the time and felt we could use another 4 or 5.
Polle - that's two players in one right there! Polee and Pelle!!!  ;D

Moose

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 08:18:47 PM »

Maybe the Terps and STJ can merge this year.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2011, 11:46:53 PM »
If this,  the youngest team in the country if not ever, wins.  Send Hollywood straight to Springfield, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

crgreen

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 01:15:45 AM »
If this,  the youngest team in the country if not ever, wins.  Send Hollywood straight to Springfield, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Define "wins"   :)   Better than a 500 record?   20 Wins?   Post-season participation?   NCAA tourney?  Hang a Banner?

derk

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2011, 08:17:05 AM »

This team was built to run. It was also built with interchangeable parts of 10 sharing the load. Unfortunately we're down 3 players. What might be the best strategy to take advantage of the skills of the players that were recruited might not be best with a short squad. We'll run but we'll have to win with defense. I think Coach and staff are going to stress defense, keep the score close, and hope to win at the buzzer. If Amir or Pelle make it back for the second half , the defense we've learned will pay tremendous dividends.

kob24

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »
the only decent player in that group was lamont. i bet if u play mo at the 4 even if he isnt as physical as those guys he is still way better than them. they probably gonna play this offense that the choz played during kemba's last year called five out

jr49

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 09:08:08 AM »
And we could use 2 more good ones. Who knew who would actually hit the floor. Circumstances dictated Steve go after some good players, period. Some here were even questioning SJU's ability to put a team on the floor. 

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »

Define "wins"   :)   Better than a 500 record?   20 Wins?   Post-season participation?   NCAA tourney?  Hang a Banner?

D) NCAA tourney