Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th

• 125 replies
Re: Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:51 AM »

October 14, 2011 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Basketball season is right around the corner, and the Red Storm is poised for another exciting year! Catch your first glimpse of the men’s and women’s basketball teams at this year’s tip-off pep rally. We’ll be introducing the teams for the first time and celebrating the start of the season with a guest DJ, special performers and a variety of food and beverages. If you’re a fan of the Red Storm, you definitely don’t want to miss this!

Date
Friday, October 14, 2011

Time
7 - 10 p.m.

Queens campus

Price
Complimentary
(Space is limited)

More Information
Karli Hausman
Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing and Promotions
Tel (718) 990-1382
hausmank@stjohns.edu

Moose

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »
Moose, you seem bitter. You have to understand, this is like a pep rally for the team. It's for the STUDENTS who are currently attending. Honestly if you were in your late teens or early 20's at a St. John's pep rally, would you really want to be hanging out with middle-aged people? It's aimed at one demographic: students. And yes I will assume you are one of those "you kids and your rap music" kinds of people until you prove me wrong lol. Bottom line, you aren't missing that much it's just a pep rally for school pride. Picture having some middle-aged alumni from your high school there when you had a pep rally. Exactly. Weird.

I'm not as old as you paint me to be, but nice try.
Remember who broke the Slice news

lihoop

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »
do we know of any other recruits who are going to be in attendance aside from McCullough?

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »
I still don't understand...why are they selling tickets STARTING the 14th and the actual event is later that same day? It gives no time to buy tickets.

Moose

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
I still don't understand...why are they selling tickets STARTING the 14th and the actual event is later that same day? It gives no time to buy tickets.

Exactly.
Your starting to come around :)

But one thing they aren't 'selling' tickets per se.  Just starting the distribution process since tix are free.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 07:40:31 PM by Moose »

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »
do we know of any other recruits who are going to be in attendance aside from McCullough?

We'll probably hear word about other recruits the closer it gets to the event.  It's good to hear McCullough will be in attendance.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »

We'll probably hear word about other recruits the closer it gets to the event.  It's good to hear McCullough will be in attendance.

Gathers and Wood were talking on Twitter about being there.

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »
I'm just guessin but I think you guys are gettin all in a tizzy over nothin.  You probably just have to show up and everybody gets in, old men and students alike.

The likely losing this season is going to temporarily halt the band wagon everybody was jumpin on last season that culminated with the senior day blackout sellout.  I predict available tickets a plenty at Alumni this season.  Although I hope I'm wrong.

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 12:23:25 AM »

I would hope some of the local NYC players would be their like Isaiah Whitehead, Jermaine Lawrence etc

kob24

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 09:06:55 AM »
jesus christ who puts these acts together???vado really?????

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »

Lol.  I had to ask my kid who he is (damn I'm old!) and he laughed.  Not very impressive but it probably keeps the place a bit calmer than a bigger performer.

sju89tr

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 10:12:46 AM »

Gathers and Wood were talking on Twitter about being there.

Pelle and Garrett will be in town too for IS8
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:13:14 AM by sju89tr »

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »
@ Moose...why are you surprised? St. John's is a college. It's for college students. Sure there are alumni and just regular fans, but the students will always get the best offers obviously.

Exactly!  Moose just gets oversensitive...and I am allowed to say that only because marillac and moose knew each other as students at STJ.

Haha love ya Marillac :)

I know its a college event but I'm also a businessman who feels that over the years season ticket holders in all sports to be honest, not just STJ basketball have been getting the shaft by this newfound desire for teams/schools to get the most they can out of secondary offers and such to fill the seats.  If a fan is willing to pony up money up front before a ball is tipped they should also be fully considered.  For years I ponied up money up front to watch better offers with better seats be marketed thru the season.

I would handle this event by providing season ticket holders the same number of tickets to the event that they have and then have it first come first serve for students for the remaining number.  I mean while our attendance jumped over 30% last year we still aren't at the point of busting from the seams.

This is an event to hype up the students interest in the basketball team.  If you already have season tickets then they have no reason to have you there.  This is an event with a DJ, rapper and other stuff, it is clearly not meant for the non-student crowd.  If all the season ticket holders got their seats then many of the student population wouldn't be able to go.  And noone is stopping you from taking time out of your day, just like the students have to, to wait on line and get tickets.  Quit whining.  And I doubt it will sell out anyway.

Whining? Give me a break.  Guess I can't have an opinion.  Good to know for the future.

And its pretty uninformed to say I wouldnt be interested in a DJ and rapper.

Yeah let me trek out to Queens from the city, or Jersey, or Westchester during the middle of the day to ensure I get tickets.

There are better more efficient ways to handle this.  No way to dispute that.  You think other schools lop off their season ticket holders for Midnight Madness events?  I'm willing to say they don't.  Last year pretty much half the arena was cut off.  So were not talking the 6k in seats anyway.  Who knows if they do the same this year but lets just remember what that building was like for the last 2 home games last yr.  You couldnt move in your seat.  You might be right that its not sold out, but were headed in that direction, and quickly.

Have to agree with Moose on this one.  When students all but deserted the program for years, it was us loyal "older" fans, (since some on here like making that distinction) that supported the program with our time, attendance and paying for over-priced season tickets for a product that was less than sub-standard.  And to boot, most of had our seats changed, and were treated like second class citizens. It's nice that the school wants to create a great atmosphere for its present student body but it shouldn't forget where the real support comes from.  And if you don't believe that statement then you are either delusional or too "young" to even know what I am talking about.  ;)

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »
I agree with Moose on this, and a VERY simple way to please the season ticket holders is to mail them a ticket to this event WITH their season ticket package so that they can show up to the event.  They spend the money and have earned the right to get an early ticket to events like these, IMO.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »

Lol.  I had to ask my kid who he is (damn I'm old!) and he laughed.  Not very impressive but it probably keeps the place a bit calmer than a bigger performer.

He's not the biggest name but its still an improvement from what we've had, he is popular in many parts of NYC

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »

Have to agree with Moose on this one.  When students all but deserted the program for years, it was us loyal "older" fans, (since some on here like making that distinction) that supported the program with our time, attendance and paying for over-priced season tickets for a product that was less than sub-standard.  And to boot, most of had our seats changed, and were treated like second class citizens. It's nice that the school wants to create a great atmosphere for its present student body but it shouldn't forget where the real support comes from.  And if you don't believe that statement then you are either delusional or too "young" to even know what I am talking about.  ;)

Are you serious?  I am a student, I have been to every game over the last 4 years.  If the students weren't at most of the games the place would have been an absolute morgue.  And you're making it out to be like the entire place was packed except for the student section which most certainly wasn't the case.  You guys were just as bad, if not worse, than the students in terms of coming to games.  I don't see how you guys figure that it's only students who are the front-runners.   

2/27/2010 Noon at MSG vs Pitt- Attendance- 6892
2/19/2011 Noon at MSG vs Pitt- Attendance- 14514

Do you think it was 8000 more front-running students who showed up? No, it wasn't.  No group of fans is in any position to complain about another's loyalty to the program.  Everyone sucked.  Just because you individually came to games doesn't mean a thing.  So have I and many other students. 

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »

Are you serious?  I am a student, I have been to every game over the last 4 years.  If the students weren't at most of the games the place would have been an absolute morgue.  And you're making it out to be like the entire place was packed except for the student section which most certainly wasn't the case.  You guys were just as bad, if not worse, than the students in terms of coming to games.  I don't see how you guys figure that it's only students who are the front-runners.   

Do you think it was 8000 more front-running students who showed up? No, it wasn't.  No group of fans is in any position to complain about another's loyalty to the program.  Everyone sucked.  Just because you individually came to games doesn't mean a thing.  So have I and many other students.
I was a student at St J from 72-76 and a season ticket holder ever since and it is my observation that the student support has always been substandard in comparison with similar schools both in numbers and intensity (as for intensity same goes for the home crowd overall). :(

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »

I was a student at St J from 72-76 and a season ticket holder ever since and it is my observation that the student support has always been substandard in comparison with similar schools both in numbers and intensity (as for intensity same goes for the home crowd overall). :(

well once we establish a consistently good team, i think things will be different. In the past we were strictly a commuter school. We've never really had a good team with kids living on campus. I think that should help our student crowds.

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 12:26:57 PM »
I'm not saying the students haven't been lackluster recently, they have.  I'm just saying the attitude from the older fans is wrong because you guys have been just as putrid as the students.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 01:56:30 PM »
I'm not saying the students haven't been lackluster recently, they have.  I'm just saying the attitude from the older fans is wrong because you guys have been just as putrid as the students.

We already went to college. It's your turn now.