Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th

• 125 replies
Re: Red Storm Tip-Off- October 14th
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
now THAT'S funny!!!

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2011, 02:56:16 PM »
While I completely understand that season ticket holders / red white members  deserve as many perks as possible, you have to realize that reserving seats for season ticket holders for the tip off event would be a disaster.

Like another poster said, assume that we have something like 3000 seats that are owned by season ticket holders.  They could give out tickets for all of those seats and then for the tipoff youd have the entire chairback and non chairback sides of the lower bowl nearly empty as most season ticket holders would not make the trek out to queens for this event.  it would be embarrassing for people to be packed into the student sections and then in the upper tier with the lower bowl almost empty.

Having a general admission ticket for this event just makes the most sense.  I can see how coming at 2pm to get a ticket could be difficult, but understand that theres almost a 0% chance of this even coming close to a sell out.  The only reason theyre starting the ticket distribution at 2pm is probably to avoid a huge line for tickets when the doors open at 7.

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2011, 02:57:16 PM »
Even though I am 39 I am going on record that the older SJU baskeball fans blow! The school needs a new generation of fans especially the active students. We might have the worts fan base in  the old BE. Def the worst home court advantage. No matter what conference we end up in I would love to see more student involvement!  This fan base is ass backwards even back in the BEB days the "older" posters seem to take offense to the younger ones.

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »
I dont really see a need for a divide between older and younger SJU fans.  We're all fans of the same team.

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
you could bring in eminem, jay-z, beyonce and paul mccartney and you won't fill the remaining 800 seats.  that's life at st john's.  there is no line.

You could bring in Paul McCartney and the students wouldn't know who that is.

Especially in light of whats goin on out of our control. Need to circle the wagons, yo.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
johnnie11'
I am starting to think that is your age and not your year of graduation!

This event is not, and never has been,  advertised as a "pep rally". Pep rallies are held before big games! The "Tip-Off" replaced Midnight Madness as a celebration of the start of basketball practice and the introduction of the team to its fans, young and old.

Tickets are available free to any Tom, Dick or Harry that shows up at the ticket window. I agree that alumni, whether they graduated in 2011 or 1981, should get on line like everyone else. Obviously since the on-campus students live there, they get the first freebies at 2pm. But I get my tickets at 6pm and have no problem getting in with the younger fans. What is sad is that for many students this will be the one and only time they enter CA because it is free!

well put...
i think johnnie is still dealing with toilet training issues.
i root for the redmen just as i root for the giants...rangers...knicks...etc.
rooting is the american way.

I think hes still dealing with the medium shirt

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
you could bring in eminem, jay-z, beyonce and paul mccartney and you won't fill the remaining 800 seats.  that's life at st john's.  there is no line.

You could bring in Paul McCartney and the students wouldn't know who that is.

Paul McCartney at a pep rally? Might as well have some country music stars too. And I think it's funny you guys think you have to spend thousands of dollars to be considered a real fan. Also the reason there are so many arguments between the students and much older alumni is because the much older alumni for some reason are extremely aggressive and provoking which makes me question their maturity. "He needs to be toilet trained" and you guys eat it all up like you just left a Chris Rock stand up show. Is that really the best you have? Excuse me while I piss all over myself because I'm 23 and not toilet trained.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:34:16 PM by Johnnie11 »

LJSA

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
Did Johnnie11 register right after tight-shirt guido guy disappeared? After the last post, I'm convinced they are the same person.

Poison

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Carton was picking on the SJU fan base last year right before the NCAA tourney. A lot of fans were suffering from hurt feelings. But the guy is dead on. SJ fans, as a collective unit, suck. The students suck, and the rest of the city doesn't care enough to support them.

That said, it has to start with the students. If they are not going to show up and support their own school, why are those seats reserved for them? For years, I went to Alumni Hall during the Norm era, and watched as 20-25 students showed up late, left early, and basically dis nothing to affect the outcome of the game.

If the student body is the 6th man, at SJ, it's a walk on. If things change this year, they start coming to games, they should be allowed to stay, but they don't, there is no reason continue giving them any preferential treatment. Alumni that sit close are sitting close because they've paid for it in more ways than one. They are the lifeblood of this program, not some clueless 18 year old shmuck who doesn't deserve a winner.

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
Those "18 year old shmucks" are living in a world with more academic demands than any generation prior. The costs are probably 10x what you guys paid. They have more of a connection than you because they actually currently attend the school which has changed a lot. Aren't people supposed to get more mature as they get older? What grown man picks on 18 year olds? Do you also hit women?

Moose

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »
This thread now makes me not even want to go Friday.
I think I will stay home.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »
Those "18 year old shmucks" are living in a world with more academic demands than any generation prior. The costs are probably 10x what you guys paid. They have more of a connection than you because they actually currently attend the school which has changed a lot. Aren't people supposed to get more mature as they get older? What grown man picks on 18 year olds? Do you also hit women?

More academic demands? You can get anything you want on your phone. Except of course a medium t shirt

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
Wow conversation is getting a little too serious between beating women references and making fun of each other for an even that doesn't mean anything. The question is who set this policy in  place? Was it St. John's because they are trying to keep kids from going home on the weekend (which has been a problem since back in my day, 2000-2004). Is it Steve Laving and the coaching staff making this rule because being an analyst for so long they understand that wacky crazy students are a lot better then a bunch of older alumni that won't get their face painted or act goofy. Hate them or love them, but what gives Duke their uniqueness is those "Cameron Crazies" jumping down all game, ESPN eats that stuff up.

In general hard core St. John's fans (young and old) need to be patient with other fans, because it's been awhile since St. John's has been consistently good or had positive hype. Really except for the 98-2000 run (when I was in HS), the team has been bad. Folks may be frustrated when they watch this team and may be board again, but if the team can make the casual fan watch them, then the team is moving in the right direction.

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2011, 11:25:58 PM »

More academic demands????   Now that's a joke.  I can tell you from first hand experience from one who teaches college courses that the academic demands of today are a complete joke as compared to even 10 years ago.  The subject matter is more general land the level of depth of subject area is 1/10 of what it used to be.  What I taught 20 years ago in an Algebra II class in high school would be considered too challenging for todays college youth. 

In terms of the costs, relatively speaking, the cost is no more now then it was 30 years ago.

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »
Realfan, there is no doubt that academics are more demanding than ever before. There are more tests you guys never even had to take, and the tests that you did have to take are only getting tougher and longer. More people go to graduate school now than ever before, and more people go to college now than ever before. Each generation has been smarter than its prior from an IQ perspective and that is scientific fact...it was cited in one of my classes. You never had this no child left behind bull. You never had all these requirements to get into schools. Kids these days don't even have time to hang out with their parents as a family anymore...you guys did. Parents of children today can only help their children with homework up until middle school and then they are clueless. That just goes to show the more in depth stuff we are learning. And why is everyone bringing up a medium shirt?

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2011, 11:51:34 PM »

"In terms of the costs, relatively speaking, the cost is no more now then it was 30 years ago."

For a professor (if you even are or were one) you don't seem to know your facts. http://gunsandbullets.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/total-cost-of-college-vs-other-goods1.png?w=500&h=338 go try and argue that one.

LJSA

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2011, 12:24:13 AM »
Kids these days don't even have time to hang out with their parents as a family anymore.

If my daughters grow up to be a whiner like you, I'll be perfectly happy to not hang out with them.

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2011, 01:22:12 AM »
You never had this no child left behind bull.

You do know that NCLB was implemented to soften testing to insure more students would pass right?

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2011, 01:39:25 AM »
IMO season ticket holders complaining about current students getting better treatment is ridiculous.  You can't place the blame of students from the Norm era on present day students.  At this point, HALF of the student body was not present at St. John's during those years.  This isn't professional sports, the same "bandwagon" aspects don't really apply.  Complaining about why the eighteen year old freshman from California is all of a sudden "jumping on the bandwagon" is ludicrous.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but St. John's is one of the most diverse schools in the country and as such it is harder to get the majority to go to games. (Not to mention commuters who treat it like a second high school)  It is a fact you must accept and work around.  If basketball games are exciting and there is a product to watch, students will come early and often.  Can you really blame them if they don't want to watch a garbage team as in the past?  They haven't been committed to this program for 30, 40, or 50 years like some of the people on here who think they are royalty have.  St. John's University is just that - a university.  They are here for their students, first and foremost.

« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2011, 06:50:16 AM »
anyone know what recruits will be there?