Big Men

• 42 replies

Marillac

Big Men
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »
With Pelle out, where do you think the staff turns? 
Do they creative and hit up the JUCO circuit and look overseas?  Transfers?

I'd like to see the staff bring in at least one JUCO big man. 

Re: Big Men
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »
Well we know all the names that have been out there - Pelle, Sampson, Gathers...None of these 3 have ruled out the Johnnies so I guess they are all still possibilities.

There is some new names that should pop up now I am sure besides Obekpa which they are currently recruiting.

I can't see how its not an appealing opportunity for some young big man. There will be loads of playing time available in the front court.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »
With Pelle out, where do you think the staff turns? 
Do they creative and hit up the JUCO circuit and look overseas?  Transfers?

I'd like to see the staff bring in at least one JUCO big man.

Since Pelle probably wasn't going to be enrolled until 2012 the big options at the C/PF positions for 2012 are Obepka, Gathers and Sampson. 

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
But none of those three guys are really centers.  Doesn't anyone feel we need that one 6'10+ kid?  Almost every program has one.  Would you all be opposed to a raw athletic prospect to be molded and ready for when this team really breaks out in 2-3 years?

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »
We don't need one 6'10 kid. We need four of them.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »
But none of those three guys are really centers.  Doesn't anyone feel we need that one 6'10+ kid?  Almost every program has one.  Would you all be opposed to a raw athletic prospect to be molded and ready for when this team really breaks out in 2-3 years?
I would much rather have a 6'8" strong big w skills (GG, Gathers, Sampson, Pelle  etc) than a 6'11" project
Molloy '71

desco80

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »
I do think we need a 6'10 kid.  But I think we need the right kind.  We're not a typical half-court offense, man to man team.   So getting a big guy, just for the sake of grabbing a big
 guy may do us more harm than good if he's slow footed.   It's hard to turn down size, but I really think we're more suited to having two PF types who can run the floor.  A combo of
 GG and Gathers would be ideal.  Two big (although not huge) bodies who have good hands and can rebound, but won't be caught flat footed when they have to rotate over to cover
a wing when we're in our zone. 

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »
Not sure if there's any interest on either side but last year 4 star 6'10 big man Joseph Uchebo was committed to NC State. He didnt qualify and is at a JUCO this year. I know ESPN had him ranked at 83rd overall last year.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
I would much rather have a 6'8" strong big w skills (GG, Gathers, Sampson, Pelle  etc) than a 6'11" project

Ditto.  If, by chance we were to end up with GG, Gathers, Pelle and Obekpa then we'll be well-equipped in the frontcourt.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:15:47 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
Not sure if there's any interest on either side but last year 4 star 6'10 big man Joseph Uchebo was committed to NC State. He didnt qualify and is at a JUCO this year. I know ESPN had him ranked at 83rd overall last year.

How about the uncommitted kid from Co..,  I think his name is Nerlins or something like that?   Doesnt Yukon have enough big dudes?

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »

How about the uncommitted kid from Co..,  I think his name is Nerlins or something like that?   Doesnt Yukon have enough big dudes?
Last name is Noel. Top center in class-everyone wants him-we have not been mentioned so I would venture to say it is not a possibility.

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »

Nerlens Noel never verballed anywhere.  Besides, he's not even on our radar.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »
Any more Plumlee's available?

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »
Monte, Maury, Marlo, Mitt and MoMo are the remaining Plumlee kids in grade school who have already verballed to Duke. Dad, Milt, and Mom, Mimi, are very prolific.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »

Nerlens Noel never verballed anywhere.  Besides, he's not even on our radar.

Plus he's '13.
Remember who broke the Slice news

ras

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 06:59:08 PM »
We do not need every Big to be a superstar, but we need depth. I wouldnt mind seeing a good 3 star big,rather then going after all 4 stars. 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »
We don't need 4 big guys in this class, but we do need 2.  Do we need a 6'10"+ kid?  I don't think so, but I'd love a gazelle like that.  We'd be fine adding Gathers and another 6'8"-6'10" kid that is athletic and fits in our system. 

I think some people might be overstating our needs.  We have a very solid base wi good wings and guards.  Aside from Wood, the only thing that is imperative is landing 2 PF/C types.  Hopefully one is Gathers.  All our other needs are really secondary because as is, we have a very talented roster.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:38:03 PM by MCNPA »

ras

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
Although the recruiting has been depressing lately, we have a great core. Who knows how tall Harkless will be next year. The combo of him and Gift next year is going to be great. If we can get one out of Gathers, Obeja and Sampson and 1 back up calibre big well be in good shape. If we get 2 well be in great shape. Who knows who else may be available in the spring? Perhaps another juco transfer.

crgreen

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
Although the recruiting has been depressing lately, we have a great core. Who knows how tall Harkless will be next year. The combo of him and Gift next year is going to be great. If we can get one out of Gathers, Obeja and Sampson and 1 back up calibre big well be in good shape. If we get 2 well be in great shape. Who knows who else may be available in the spring? Perhaps another juco transfer.

Let's hope Lav's can steal another big like he did in his last UCLA class.    Kid had been a 6'6 reserve as a soph, 6'8 sometime starter as a Jr, 6'9 starter as a sr (16pts 7 rebs).   Signed by another school, but that coach took a better job after the LOI was signed, and the kid was released.  In the meantime, he grew 2 inches that summer, and signed with UCLA.   Over the next 4 years, he grew 2 more inches.   Oh yeah - he was also a track star.   7'1 - that's not only his height, but what he high jumped in the NCAA's.    Ryan Hollins....

Shame he only had one year with Lavin - and that the "lame duck, no ones gonna listen to him" year.   Hollins in THIS Lavin offense would have been an absolute thing of beauty by the end of his 4 years.

redslope

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »
The term big man is different in different types of systems.  Coach Lavin's big man is not the same as some one playing the position at other schools that don't run as much and are as athletic.  look back in our history and who would the "big man" you would hope to see play with this team?  this team needs someone who is quick up and down the floor as they look to break at every chance and shoot within the first 10 seconds.  the typical "big man" would be out of gas by the first time out.  GG represents the prototype of player who fits the role.  I can't believe his quickness up and down the floor and that is one of the reasons he gets to the foul line.  Isolate on hime when you watch the game.  he is the type of "big man" we need MORE of as he can't do it on his own.  with this type of player, you force the opposition to change their game to increase the speed as most will have slower big men.